Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-19-2024, 07:00 AM   #61
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Had some spare time this weekend and designed a speaker adapter plate for 6.5" in S13 based on this discontinued design, which I think was metal. It kind of mimics the way the stock speaker adapters angle up and back. The angle should also improve window clearance over the cheap flat adapter most places sell (or DIY).

I don't have access to a printer large enough though. I need something with like a 250x250mm or larger bed. I did print the design on paper and test fit.. the clearances are extremely close because of the part that projects into the door.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2024, 06:30 AM   #62
hiimelvin

Trader Rating: (3)
hiimelvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Had some spare time this weekend and designed a speaker adapter plate for 6.5" in S13 based on this discontinued design, which I think was metal. It kind of mimics the way the stock speaker adapters angle up and back. The angle should also improve window clearance over the cheap flat adapter most places sell (or DIY).

I don't have access to a printer large enough though. I need something with like a 250x250mm or larger bed. I did print the design on paper and test fit.. the clearances are extremely close because of the part that projects into the door.
I had those UAC speaker brackets. When installed, the speaker I put in ended up making contact with the window when rolled down. I switched to a "flat" adapter and have had no problem with the window ever since.

So they do work, but the difference in sound quality isn't that noticeable enough to make up for the limited space the bracket gives you.
hiimelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:34 AM   #63
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
That's useful, I had never heard from anyone that used the UAC adapters before, thanks. I see that the UAC design is still inset about 1/4" at the center of the speaker so it would effectively move the magnet back. Makes sense. I'll play with the angles a bit and maybe offset the mounting surface outward to see if I can avoid that.

Nice thing about parametric design and 3d printing is that if something doesn't work, you just fix it and try again.

What I should do is also model a few typical speakers and measure the resulting maximum inset against the factory active speaker module.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:33 AM   #64
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Nice job! I can test fit if you need, I have 12x12 & 18x18" printers.
I would suggest some kind of redesign for FDM printing if that entire flange is floating and will need support. Then if it turns into just a flat plate it would probably be better to laser it out of polycarb or something.

BTW before I got my large printers I used to split models with joggles or interlocking features so I could screw/glue them back together, if you haven't tried that already.
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:08 PM   #65
AKADriver
Post Whore!

I was thinking the same thing. The section that projects into the door could be printed separately with interlocking features. Or it could just be printed in two large sections, say split diagonally.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:08 PM   #66
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Currently working on some ducting for my oil cooler.

Its printed with PETG and I intend on skinning it with fiberglass mat. I have heat-sert nuts for the holes on the side and have laser cut brackets to attach them to the cooler.

Just have to wait until it warms up a bit so I can start playing with composites

-Jordie
Old 02-22-2024, 09:37 AM   #67
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Now that's what I'm talking about, nice work! I have to do the same thing with my air filters hanging out down there. What scanner are you using?
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #68
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsupra View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about, nice work! I have to do the same thing with my air filters hanging out down there. What scanner are you using?
I am fortunate enough to have access to an Artex Leo scanner through work.

Started planning out the exit ducting but Im not entirely happy with it yet.

-Jordie
Old 02-22-2024, 11:19 AM   #69
AKADriver
Post Whore!

That is really really impressive.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:06 AM   #70
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Dude, that is awesome!!!! (the duct)
CaptainVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:30 PM   #71
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Oh wow. See this is why I still come here. Facebook groups don't do anything close to this.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:04 AM   #72
Jyttah
Leaky Injector

Jyttah is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow. The quality of those 3d prints are insane. Ive been creating some small 3D prints myself for my S13.

The most rescent project ive designed is this one:

Both the wheel and centercap needs to be sanded and painted. But the fitment is perfect.