Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
s14 Clutch Pedal Problem

I have a slight problem with my clutch pedal. I was gonna adjust the engagement point because my clutch was slipping at higher rpms and engagement point was pretty high ( about halfway up ). My clutch pedal was also not returning all the way to the top. At times, I would release the clutch and have to pull up on it to make it return all the way.

When I adjusted the rod on the clutch, I rotated it clockwise and it stiffened up my clutch feel( which I enjoyed very very much since my clutch is pretty soft ) but it also made the engagement point higher up on my clutch travel ( towards the top ). My clutch was already set all the way to the counter clockwise(nut was on the "wall". When I tried to loosen the nut so i could turn it more counter clockwise, the rod turned with it. Is there a simple fix for all these things?

This is for a 1995 240sx s14
iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

bump for help :'(
Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

oh crap.. double post >:[
Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

update: Finally found out what was wrong I think. I adjusted the clutch pedal and when I would turn it clockwise from inside the car, the pedal would stiffen and have full range of motion and resistance but it engaged towards the top. However, this somewhat alleviated the clutch slipping problem. Turn it the other way, and i get clutch slippage but engages with about 1-2 inches of freeplay.

I do not believe the dampener would help. However, a mechanic friend of mine has now concluded that it has to be a defective pressure plate. Any inputs?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
GenPac
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
GenPac is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I prefer the engagement point to be closer to the end of the pedal movement than the floor/firewall. Reason? Don't have to push the pedal in much to disengage the clutch. This meant faster shifting for me, might mean something else entirely for you.
GenPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
update: Finally found out what was wrong I think. I adjusted the clutch pedal and when I would turn it clockwise from inside the car, the pedal would stiffen and have full range of motion and resistance but it engaged towards the top. However, this somewhat alleviated the clutch slipping problem. Turn it the other way, and i get clutch slippage but engages with about 1-2 inches of freeplay.

I do not believe the dampener would help. However, a mechanic friend of mine has now concluded that it has to be a defective pressure plate. Any inputs?

Remove the dampner, extend the rod till only 1/8" or so of the threads hang out, bleed the system, then adjust the pedal stop to prefered engagment.
mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
jdmjap808
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmjap808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i have the same problem
jdmjap808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
kuelee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kuelee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have the same problem in my s13. where i would have to lift the clutch pedal with my feet just to bring it back up..I hate it.
kuelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

it's the quality of your pressure plates. That's the only mechanical deduction I've made with all my tech friends. We just cannot figure it out lol. And we don't want to pull the tranny just to change the pressure plate so we gonna leave it alone.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
jdmjap808
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
jdmjap808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It just started happening to me today... I was going home from work and it felt like it was way to soft for some reason. But that is just so weird for it to happen at a random
jdmjap808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
kuelee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kuelee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dont think its the quality of the pressure plate. My stock clutch and pressure plate did the same.. And when i installed the new aftermarket one, it still did the same..Where i had to use my feet to bring the clutch back up.
kuelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

dammit >:[. I guess no one can help us with our retarded clutch pedals.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
I have a slight problem with my clutch pedal. I was gonna adjust the engagement point because my clutch was slipping at higher rpms.
^this doesn't make any sense, adjusting how the pedal position effects the slaves position will not improve clutch slippage; you need to replace that clutch. Since all clutches are not made equal you won't be able to get a very repeatable pedal position with different pressure plates; so your adjustment is going to be limited. I would start by removing the dampener piping system for the slave and replace it with an SPL line. After that, you need to make sure your slave and CMC is in good shape; those components do and will fail at some point.

Good luck with the clutch job.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Well I've read up on CMC's and they either work or don't work. Seeing as how i can still put the car into gear, it's working and I've replaced the slave cylinder already. I replaced the clutch very recently and am almost at the 500 mile break-in point.

I looked up what the clutch dampener does and found that it really doesn't do anything. All the tech books said generally the same thing. The "dampener" is like a Brake Master Cylinder because it just helps you push the pedal down easier. It multiplies your force so it is easier to push down the pedal and transfers more energy to the slave cylinder to disengage the clutch. However, I'll get rid of it and let everyone here know how it went so we can all have a fix if it works out.