Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
tylerdurdon

Trader Rating: (0)
tylerdurdon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR20DET timing chain marks

So I am putting together my SR and i put the timing chain on and make sure to line everything up, but as soon as i rotate the engine over one complete revolution the timing marks are off by one chain link. Every rotation i do after this it continues to move one chain link per revolution. Obviously if i move the engine back it will line back up again and look perfect. Is it suppose to do this ?
tylerdurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
ping

ping is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah think its right... i just did that today spinning it till the gear dots matched the links when i put the cas back in,
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
redtop91
Leaky Injector

redtop91 is making a name for him/her selfredtop91 is making a name for him/her self
It will take a bit sometimes. Just keep spinning. They'll line back up. Also make sure you are looking at the silver links and not the gold one(s).
redtop91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
yeah, i'm actually in the same boat...just rotate the hell out of the engine...if it still persists and doesnt set, could be a bad chain tensioner...but prob just need to rotate more.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

TURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enough
Try This Website

TURBOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

TURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enough
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

Old 06-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
rebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rebornS14
http://srownersclub.com/faq/

thats what we used to do my swap.
rebornS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
tylerdurdon

Thanks guys, I have the PDF and lined everything up as was instructed via the manual. The problem comes in when i rotate the assembly every full rotation from tdc to tdc of number one piston the marks are not lined up and they are exactly one chain link off and as i rotate the assembly it continues to move one chain link further away form the original timing marks. I was just curious about this and wondered if anyone else had observed this.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
tylerdurdon

Engine runs well so i suppose it is normal for this to happen.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #12
s13drob
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
s13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymores13drob is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
its supposed 2 do that. thats y the manuals say 2 turn the motor over until marks match up because the chain is set right its just that it rarely matches up every rotation
s13drob is offline   Reply With Quote