Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #31
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Just for reference, i believe the EVO RS's had a 1" bmc..the rest of them had 17/16"

I have a 1" on mine from a Q45 and it works ok.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #32
97nismo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (53)
97nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
I don't think the sentra brembos are crap...I actually got a better deal on them than z32s...I would love to have a 60 to 0 with someone with z32s and q45s...
Old 03-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #33
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
They kinda small though. Only 20mm larger than the z32's and thinner at 22mm thick. The clamping force is probably sufficient but I wonder how resistent they are to brake fade on the track.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #34
97nismo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (53)
97nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Been at the track and mountains....it's really hard to say about the fade because I don't have abs and they lock up like a mother quick
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #35
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadking View Post
I agree, the Z32 calipers are the best bang for the buck for the 240sx.

There is little to no brake bias when using the EVO 8/9 front calipers and Z32 rear calipers. However, you must upgrade to the larger Z32 BMC just like you would with a complete Z32 brake upgrade. The reason why there is no bias is because the EVO 8/9 stock brake setup is very much just like the Z32's. The BMC is the same size, so are the rear Brembo calipers (almost). The rear Brembo calipers use larger pads, however, the brake pistons in the Z32 calipers are larger.

STi calipers are not common place like you state. There were much fewer produced than the regular WRX and EVO. STi Brembos, especially the rear calipers, are the most rare and the price that they fetch reflects that. Unlike the Z33 rear Brembo calipers, the 04-06 STi Brembo calipers are a direct bolt on and retain the e-brake when using Z32 rear rotors/setup.

Yes, there are several outlets to obtain the conversion brackets necessary to facilitate the EVO front caliper swap, as well as differences in design:

http://madparts.net/evo-brembo-caliper-brackets.html

http://madparts.net/version-2-evo-89...-br289240.html

http://www.tf-works.com/tf-evo-8-9-b...n-s13-s14-s15/

From my experience trying to source a set of EVO calipers, I can assure you they don't sell for $500 for a complete set on evolutionm.net, eBay or craigslist. However, I'm sure there are a few dummies who sell them for cheap from time to time.
All the info you stated I already know. If you read any of the old brake threads I'm in there discussing all the info you just posted. I only posted about the brake bias due to the fact everyone was trying to flex and argue that well my Wilwood setup cost the same you should of got that for what you got your z32/brembo setup for. My argument was yea $1050 for JUST THE FRONT brake kit. I was arguing the point for under $800 you can get a FRONT AND REAR setup that won't jack up you brake bias by JUST running a FRONT BBK with stock rear.

If you didn't notice, I posted a new thread a few days back about 330mm rotor upgrade for Z32/STI rear caliper users. This will make the brake bias almost dead on with a EVO/STI Brembo front setup. But as it seems no one really cares since it looks like I got big brakes cause its the cool hip thing to do. And to tell you the truth, G35/350Z Brembo calipers are actually harder to source used than STI. They also used to cost more but the Brembo hype has finally slowed down where most G35/350z non-brembo owners are now into better brake upgrades like OEM G37/370z Akebono wilwood, stoptech, Endless, Brembo GT, etc for a lil more money than what people use to try to sell their oem Brembo stuff for.

I have personally owned 3 sets of STI calipers (full complete sets) I have one set on my current car now with front bracket adapters I picked up from a zilvia member florante rea who I think still makes and sells them. I got each set well under 1k used of course. They do pop up from time to time for cheap, you just need to be patient enough to wait for non inflated pricing. The 1st set I got was well under $600 for a complete front and rear setup with rotors, pads and lines. My buddy with a Legacy GT just picked up a complete (FRONT AND REAR) REBUILT set painted and loaded for $900. So prices have been dropping. And the reason I can say this is, alot of online auto parts sites are offering loaded rebuilt STI brembo's for CHEAPER than what ebay and forum guys are posting them for. You search on EBAY for STI Brembo and look how many sets pop up. Not to mention when you go on the For Sale section of NASIOC. Again STI brembo not rare, common but not as common as EVO calipers.

I went on Ebay. and typed in EVO brembo and these popped up.

Complete EVO Brembo Calipers in the $500 range OR LESS. With free shipping. (needs rebuild of course)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-20...6ea2f1&vxp=mtr

FRONT SET $250
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-MITSUB...94b696&vxp=mtr

REAR SET -$250
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-04-MITS...e8fe16&vxp=mtr

This is a SNAP SHOT OF ROCKAUTO.COM of how much RE-MAN STI BREMBO's go for. And not to try to argue with you, but to make a point that STI Brembo calipers are by NO means RARE or UNCOMMON. Very common like I stated before, so Common ROCKAUTO can sell re-man LOADED with Centric CERAMIC pads for $89 a pop (not including core charge of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
^yup I paid $600 shipped for my rear STI calipers, but they were low mileage and mint. The front evo brembos I got for like 250 shipped lol They were ugly but I was planning on taking them apart and rebuilding them anyway. It was hard trying to match the front calipers with brembo gold, but I ended up finding some gold engine enamel from VHT and it came out ok imo. It's a tad brighter but close enough for me lol

I love brakes and I love brembos. OEM durability and track proven
I'm sorry you paid $600 for just your rear STI calipers, I sold a rear set here a while back for $300 shipped. For $600, I would have simply just picked up a complete used set of STI brembos for $400-500 more.

Heck for $400 bucks you could of got a SET of REMAN Rears LOADED and still had left over for rotors.

Last edited by eek; 03-22-2014 at 02:31 AM..
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:13 AM   #36
merijndj

Trader Rating: (0)
merijndj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FYI: i have the 1" z32 MBC, (one from raybestos through rockauto), and i do not have ABS.

I have checked your info out (for my point of view, from the Netherlands).

Rockauto (a shop i got many items from, great shop), 2x 99$ + 2x 183$ = 564$ + 140$ shipping = 704$
And then i get the import charges wich are roughly 30% that makes it 915$ for calipers only.

This guy on ebay does ship to the netherlands:
515 + 40 shipping + 150 import charges = 705$ for calipers only.

The breaker here for me is the import charges (wich are rediculous due to it includes the shipping costs in them) but thats the way it is.

I payed 650€ for my z33 brembo kit, converted would be 900$ (calipers+discs+pads and all hardware included)
So basicly, i payed just a little more then the examples you just gave me and instead of having just the calipers, i also had the discs, pads and all hardware already (for a brand new set from someone who just crashed his brand new 350Z ).
And thats a normal price for the z33 brakes in my location.
merijndj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #37
thedeadking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
thedeadking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
All the info you stated I already know. If you read any of the old brake threads I'm in there discussing all the info you just posted. I only posted about the brake bias due to the fact everyone was trying to flex and argue that well my Wilwood setup cost the same you should of got that for what you got your z32/brembo setup for. My argument was yea $1050 for JUST THE FRONT brake kit. I was arguing the point for under $800 you can get a FRONT AND REAR setup that won't jack up you brake bias by JUST running a FRONT BBK with stock rear.
Congratulations. I'm not omniscient nor have I researched you/your opinions regarding anything here on zilvia. I posted that brief information to further expand upon what you initially brought up, not to counter it.

Quote:
If you didn't notice, I posted a new thread a few days back about 330mm rotor upgrade for Z32/STI rear caliper users. This will make the brake bias almost dead on with a EVO/STI Brembo front setup. But as it seems no one really cares since it looks like I got big brakes cause its the cool hip thing to do. And to tell you the truth, G35/350Z Brembo calipers are actually harder to source used than STI. They also used to cost more but the Brembo hype has finally slowed down where most G35/350z non-brembo owners are now into better brake upgrades like OEM G37/370z Akebono wilwood, stoptech, Endless, Brembo GT, etc for a lil more money than what people use to try to sell their oem Brembo stuff for.
Again, I didn't have a vested interest in your activity prior to this post. However, I've known about Royalty Performances rear BBK option using the Z32 caliper since its introduction.

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...-brackets.html

What are you basing this claim on that the bias will be "dead on" with the kit? The stock EVO rotor is 300mm in diameter and the stock Z32 rotor is 297mm; not a substantial difference. I agree that the RP kit is a worthwhile upgrade though and plan on installing it on my Z, coupled with front EVO calipers in the future.

True, the hype for the OEM Z33/G35 Brembo calipers has died down significantly since the introduce of the Akebono calipers. Despite less of a demand in the Z33/G35 community, they're still hard to track down and command a surprisingly high price tag. Case in point.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t...ghlight=brembo

Quote:
I have personally owned 3 sets of STI calipers (full complete sets) I have one set on my current car now with front bracket adapters I picked up from a zilvia member florante rea who I think still makes and sells them. I got each set well under 1k used of course. They do pop up from time to time for cheap, you just need to be patient enough to wait for non inflated pricing. The 1st set I got was well under $600 for a complete front and rear setup with rotors, pads and lines. My buddy with a Legacy GT just picked up a complete (FRONT AND REAR) REBUILT set painted and loaded for $900. So prices have been dropping. And the reason I can say this is, alot of online auto parts sites are offering loaded rebuilt STI brembo's for CHEAPER than what ebay and forum guys are posting them for. You search on EBAY for STI Brembo and look how many sets pop up. Not to mention when you go on the For Sale section of NASIOC. Again STI brembo not rare, common but not as common as EVO calipers.
Like I already mentioned, there are dummies who sell cheap, generally beat-up sets, STi calipers from time to time. However, you have to factor in the cost of refinishing and rebuilding; otherwise you could spend more than just buying a more expensive, good condition set.

In your specific case, living in CA there are SEVERAL import shops so I'm not surprised you and your local friends have found multiple sets. That is not the case for many in middle America or the East Coast. Also, for whatever reason, it seems that many private individuals in CA are more willing to sell parts extremely cheap. A lot of the parts I've purchase here on zilvia have come almost entirely from CA sellers. So again, I'm not surprised that you found cheaply priced full sets.

True, you can find excessively over priced full sets on eBay online from several import shops. The reason why there are so many listed there is because of the high demand, so a lot of vendors specifically source them. Also, of course there is a higher concentration of STi calipers on NASIOC, it's a forum specific to the Subaru Impreza. This doesn't mean STi calipers are less rare than WRX or EVO Brembo calipers though. The fact is there were far less STi's produced than WRX's and EVO's.

Quote:
I went on Ebay. and typed in EVO brembo and these popped up.

Complete EVO Brembo Calipers in the $500 range OR LESS. With free shipping. (needs rebuild of course)

FRONT SET $250
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-MITSUB...94b696&vxp=mtr

REAR SET -$250
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-04-MITS...e8fe16&vxp=mtr
Since the rear EVO calipers don't bolt-up to the S13/S14/Z32, it is not cost effective to source a full set. Also, all of the calipers you linked are beat-up used calipers, and some have damage. In most cases powder coating will easily cost $200+, as well as shipping to and from if not local. OEM rebuild kits are also $100+ and the available cheaper OE kits have fitment issues (specifically Centric). If you don't perform your own labor, you have to factor in the cost of dis-assembly/reassembly. Suddenly these cheap calipers you're talking about aren't so cheap.

Quote:
This is a SNAP SHOT OF ROCKAUTO.COM of how much RE-MAN STI BREMBO's go for. And not to try to argue with you, but to make a point that STI Brembo calipers are by NO means RARE or UNCOMMON. Very common like I stated before, so Common ROCKAUTO can sell re-man LOADED with Centric CERAMIC pads for $89 a pop (not including core charge of course).

I tried looking up the calipers on RA using your same search criteria, but turned up no results. I also tried using the part numbers 14247518 and 14247517, but got the message "part not found."

Again, the STi Brembo calipers are more rare in comparison to the EVO or WRX calipers, it's a fact.

Based on your screen shot, including the core charge and shipping, the rear STi Brembo calipers are still $400. Again, disproving your claim that they're cheap. Regardless, since the Z32 rear calipers have larger pistons versus the STi's and comparable in size, the rear Brembo calipers are not a cost effective/worthwhile upgrade.
thedeadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #38
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Not trying to make this into a pissing contest. Just replying to some information that I feel is incorrect. You claim that STI calipers are RARE in comparison to EVO calipers, that is fine. Even to the point where you are claiming it to be a FACT. I feel differently. I have showed you there are plenty of sources to find them. They are all over ebay, forums and even car parts websites. Rockauto is currently out of the STI re-man calipers at the moment, you can call and verify the part numbers if you like. Rare to me means hard to impossible to find. I don't see how STI brembo calipers are RARE when I can simply go to ebay and search "STI Brembo" and more than 5+ sets pop up. And just because STI Brembo calipers usually sell for more than EVO does not mean they are more rare. I will say the DEMAND for STI calipers is significantly higher than EVO or WRX calipers and could explain why you came to your conclusion.

$400 for a set of rebuilt, loaded rear sti calipers imo is cheap (user doens't have to anything but purchase them and installs them).Compared to what people used to sell them for at $400-600 for used calipers I would rather go the re-man route. I don't know how this "DISPROVES" my opinion especially when your claiming they are so rare you can't even find them. If what your claim is true then $400 should be a steal.

The EVO calipers I posted do indeed need rebuild, that was just a quick search but doesn't disprove that you can not get a set in the $500 range. I never mentioned anything about finding NEW or PERFECT condition sets in the $500 range. I wouldn't suggest using any used caliper on a car without rebuilding them or knowing exactly where it came from.

You refer to rare cases to where people are "dummies" and sell things for less. That is your opinion again. I have encountered more than my fair share of sellers selling calipers for alot less than what ebay vendors sell things for. But since I'm in CA that is the reason I find things for less? You can think or believe whatever you like, if you feel that you are right then so be it.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #39
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks eek for clarifying - I found out earlier today that only R34s used 14mm bolts. Seems R33 and earlier all used 12mm.

Funny how my quest for some front brakes can bring alive a 2-year-old post and turn it into such a... heated discussion. They're just brakes, everyone, and they're just cars...

A little chime-in on the Z32 vs GTR vs Z33 vs Sentra brakes -- I'm out in Hong Kong where we have no sentras, and Z32s are almost as rare (only ever seen one, and it was NA). We have a ton more GTRs and Z33s, so while yes, the brembos are expensive (market price is about 1k for a pair of used Z33/R34 front gold brembos with rotors), they are far more available than Z32s.
Unfortunately we also have S13, s14 and S15s keeping the R33, R34 & Z33 brembos in high demand.

On performance... I'm on stock RPS13 280*22mm rotors, which are not as thick as the 26mm or 30mm Z32s, but I managed to fade them very easily, after just 3 or 4 runs on a short local twisty. (Admittedly it's steep.) Hence my search for something bigger. I'm actually seriously considering the non-brembo Z33 310mm which should also be easier on my MC. Anyone do that yet?
adey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #40
adey
Post Whore!

What did you do for brake lines? Do the S13-->Z32 brake conversion lines bolt straight up (in) to the brembos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merijndj View Post
350Z Brembo front brakes on Nissan S13/S14/S15/Z32/R32/R33/R34

Part list:
350Z Brembo front discs, calipers and pads
Z32 conversion brake lines
14mm blacksmith drill (blacksmith drills have a smaller shaft to allow them in normal drills)
4x M14x1.5 bolts, 40mm length, grade 12.9 (but 10.9 is also applicable)
Masking tape
Angled grinder and grinding disc
Bleeder tool or someone to push the pedal for you

Technical information:

Watch the orientation of the anti-squeel plates.
Disc: 324x30mm 9.10kg
Brembo caliper piston: 2x38mm / 2x44mm 4.45kg (3.45kg w/o pads)
Total weight for discs + calipers + pads is 27.1kg.
(Wich is 0.6kg heavier then my Z32 front brake setup - 280x30mm disc and cast iron calipers).

Technical information for the rear 350Z Brembo brakes:
Disc: 322x22mm 8kg
Brembo caliper piston: 2x40mm 2.45kg (1.95kg w/o pads)

<SNIP>
Old 03-24-2014, 03:20 AM   #41
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

You can use any of the conversion lines made for the z32 brakes for the brembos. They fit and work fine for all of the setups I have ever done.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #42
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'm sorry you paid $600 for just your rear STI calipers, I sold a rear set here a while back for $300 shipped. For $600, I would have simply just picked up a complete used set of STI brembos for $400-500 more.

Heck for $400 bucks you could of got a SET of REMAN Rears LOADED and still had left over for rotors.
lol I bet they sold quick...I don't think your price is the going rate for these calipers. I know of other people that paid around 600 for STi rear brembos & and I've seen others go for about the same price. Maybe I fucked up by paying that much, but maybe you fucked up for not selling them for what you could've sold them for lol
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #43
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Not to keep cluttering the thread, but to tell you the truth it actually took awhile to sell them. I had people still trying to bargain at $300 shipped. Again like I said alot of people have inflated the price of the sti calipers. Maybe I did make a mistake for selling it that price that I did but I wasn't trying to make a huge profit, I no longer needed them and sold them for basically what I picked them up for. Only reason why I say $600 is a really inflated price is most sets (front and rear calipers) I have seen sold for roughly 1k, given that, most pay $600 for the front and $400 for the rear so $600 is rather high in my book. But hey now you guys know where to look to get them.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 AM   #44
adey
Post Whore!

Thanks again.
Am now looking at doing the 300/350GT twin pot caliper, 320mm rotors for my fronts... I still like my wheel clearance and 320mm is only 4mm off the Brembo rotor size!
If only the seller would come down on pricing.....

For the record individuals are currently getting between 1000 - 1400 for the Brembos including rotors (1000 front only, 1400 full set) here in HK.

Quote:
You can use any of the conversion lines made for the z32 brakes for the brembos. They fit and work fine for all of the setups I have ever done.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #45
thedeadking
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Just to clarify, for the EVO 8/9 Brembo calipers you can use the stock or upgraded 240sx specific brake lines.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #46
thedeadking
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
Thanks again.
Am now looking at doing the 300/350GT twin pot caliper, 320mm rotors for my fronts... I still like my wheel clearance and 320mm is only 4mm off the Brembo rotor size!
If only the seller would come down on pricing.....

For the record individuals are currently getting between 1000 - 1400 for the Brembos including rotors (1000 front only, 1400 full set) here in HK.
The Z33 uses a 324mm rotor; however, the EVO 8/9 uses a 320mm rotor. BBK's using the Z32 front calipers and Z33 Brembo rotors also use a 324mm rotor.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #47
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
http://www.mazworx.com/product/brake...dapters-s13s14

plus

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-23...=cts-v+caliper

plus

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-172-23...=cts-v+caliper

and the pin kit

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-18K197...=cts-v+caliper

then some evo 8 brake rotors and pads of your choice..

my total cost was just at $600, but I got Brembo OEM pads, and Powerslot rotors.. you can save about $200 by going with autozone rotors, and some generic evo 8 pads.

Just saying.

This front brake setup was a lot cheaper than getting a $500 pair of calipers, and then $175 adapters, plus pads, and rotors, and lines.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #48
spooled240
Post Whore!

Quote:
The Z33 uses a 324mm rotor; however, the EVO 8/9 uses a 320mm rotor. BBK's using the Z32 front calipers and Z33 Brembo rotors also use a 324mm rotor.
Aaand if you want even BIGGER rotors, I believe floreate rea(sp?) makes a bracket that will allow you to use the evo X rotors which are a massive 353mm with the evo 8/9 calipers since they are both 32mm thick.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #49
niscur29
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
niscur29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post
This front brake setup was a lot cheaper than getting a $500 pair of calipers, and then $175 adapters, plus pads, and rotors, and lines.
Hells yea I was going to suggest this as well. You can score these calipers new from amazon for $100. I think my setup was like $500 bucks total because I happened to get everything on sale at amazon/rockauto.
niscur29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #50
thedeadking
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Aaand if you want even BIGGER rotors, I believe floreate rea(sp?) makes a bracket that will allow you to use the evo X rotors which are a massive 353mm with the evo 8/9 calipers since they are both 32mm thick.
The EVO X (10) uses a 350mm x 32mm rotor. The downside of that setup is 3mm of pad overhang.

Thanks for the information on florante rea and his version of this adaptor.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=198101

The only kit like this that I knew about was from Alpha-Omega, and they want $300 for just the brackets!

http://www.ao-ps.com/brakes.php
Old 03-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #51
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Pad over hang is not a downside.

and the CTS-V setup it my next plan when ever I get tired of my current 330mm brake setup.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #52
adey
Post Whore!

Just bought the set of 2005 V35 Coupe calipers, rotors, and pads for $260 from my local junk yard (Pricey IMO. Was hoping to pay well under $200 until they opened with $390). I chose this for the sake of pedal feel (twin pots vs. 4 pot), rotor size (320mm) and wheel clearance - I like my low disk wheels and care little for pretty calipers. (I care more for rotor size!)

Hoping to install within a month, when I have a free weekend...

Quick deets, will try to get pics up later.

Rotors
Diameter: 320mm
Thickness: 28mm (min: 26mm)
Weight: 21.5lb/ea

Calipers
Twin pot/two piston
Weight: 15.5lb/ea (no pads)
OEM Pads: Hitachi HP66H

As far as I can tell/read, I will only need to worry about the bolt size (14mm on caliper, 12mm on S13 knuckle). I picked up a set of K-craft thread adapters (a whopping $45 - ridiculous!! but seemed better than the alternatives), although I'm not sure they will work until they arrive. Failing those, I am torn between drilling out the knuckles and helicoil-ing (or welding/rethreading) the calipers... Will let you know how this goes.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #53
spooled240
Post Whore!

^brembos are more than just pretty lol. Aside from the stronger clamping force from 4 pots, the massive calipers are also a lot more rigid than the conventional 2 pot calipers which help under heavy braking.

Quote:
The EVO X (10) uses a 350mm x 32mm rotor. The downside of that setup is 3mm of pad overhang.

Thanks for the information on florante rea and his version of this adaptor.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=198101

The only kit like this that I knew about was from Alpha-Omega, and they want $300 for just the brackets!

http://www.ao-ps.com/brakes.php
Not sure what you meant with the pad overhang but there shouldn't be any with the proper brackets from florante rea or alpha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
Pad over hang is not a downside.

and the CTS-V setup it my next plan when ever I get tired of my current 330mm brake setup.
well, you are losing out on some pad/rotor contact, but you probably won't notice 3mm lol
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #54
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
^spooled240
that little 3mm on top isn't 3mm radius of the pad, so it's more like you are loosing about 5% of the total pad friction area, and also, a lot of motor cycle brakes are setup this way for few reasons out of factory(decreases chances of warming the rotor due to brake pad bedding into the rotor)

my 330mm PBM setup is the same way at the moment.

The overhang of the pad on any BBK kit unless it's a radius/side mount kit made for the car will likely to happen because of the fact that the rotor was made to work with different car. of course the world isn't perfect either and little bit of over hang is perfectly ok. well, atleast mine had been ok for last 3+ years.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #55
adey
Post Whore!

Just FYI - the Kouki CPV35 two-piston (twin pot) caliper and rotor conversion is complete, and was a success. Basically the same modifications had to be done to the knuckle and dust shield as for the Brembo kit, including shortening of the bolts and drilling of the knuckle brake bolt holes.

Note, the 320mm rotors are rather hard to source, but are the same as:
KV36 sedan, Z33 late, V35 late, Y50 Fuga. K-craft make a nice set of slotted versions for about 290USD, which I aim to buy after these OEMs get eaten up.

Enjoy!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #56
flynbrin
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
flynbrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of brake lines do i need to use when swapping z33 brembos to a s13
flynbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:20 AM   #57
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrin View Post
What kind of brake lines do i need to use when swapping z33 brembos to a s13
One made of brain, as in "don't necro dead threads", or "why the heck would you do nearly the hardest and most expensive brake kit swap on a S13 chassis" ...
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote