Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The DIY Thread

thought it would be tight to start a thread of all the diy stuff with pics.

Ill start
B12 sentra manual seat belt conversion install into S13
Pics are self explanitory.

Last edited by HyperTek; 01-22-2008 at 09:03 AM..
HyperTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Converting S14 bumper lights to dual filament S13 style using S13 bulb harness

Old 01-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Homemade Lower arm brace (for my fc, but pretty universal could be made for anything) *just not pretty

Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
HyperTek
Post Whore!

s13 Splitting front end

Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
HyperTek
Post Whore!

z32/R32 yadda yadda Ebrake line adaptation

Old 01-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
HyperTek
Post Whore!

S13 5lug front hub redrill conversion

Ghetto but worked great.. requires drill press, something to make the bolt pattern *a 5 lug rotor thats already been drilled for 4 lug works great as template* and additional metal needs to be shaved flat on the rear side to have the stud sit flat. Did this to a few cars.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Oh Lord, everything on my car is DIY. It'll take me weeks to take pix of everything.

I would love for folks to chip in and buy me a clean stock chassis. and a front clip. I'll post the most comprehensive SR swap you'll ever see

Nice work.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
sillyvia13
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
sillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfectionsillyvia13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
WOW on 5 lug swap.
good idea.
sillyvia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
HyperTek
Post Whore!

diy solid motor mounts
I never did this but its pretty simple and it should work..
Stack up a few hockey pucks

Drill hole
put a bolt/nut through it.

not sure how those would hold up to chemicals.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
TanaMU
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
TanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm a little confused on the sentra -> s13 seat belt conversion.. why not just just manual belts from a canadian s13? Then you wouldnt have had to cut the plastic like that..

I suggest you do a little research on that hockey puck motor mount idea, then consider taking it down..
TanaMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
HyperTek
Post Whore!

b12 SENTRA belts becuase they are plentiful at junk yards.. canadian belts are not sourceful for guys in the US. That swap costed me like $12 bucks

Everything mentioned above is at your own risk, ... id rate the 5lug conversion more dangerous then motormounts by the way. But when teh above stuff is done correctly, it can be ok.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaMU View Post
I'm a little confused on the sentra -> s13 seat belt conversion.. why not just just manual belts from a canadian s13? Then you wouldnt have had to cut the plastic like that..
I've heard of that, several friends I know did that swap. iirc the reasoning is behind it is that they are cheaper and more readily available. Anything 240sx/silvia related fetches a nice drifter profit adjustment on the price. Junkyards pretty much give the sentra stuff away.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Inland180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Inland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Inland180
I dont know about the hookey pucks! Thats a lil too much!

Feedback LINK
Inland180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
That 5 lug conversion is hilarious, but I have to say its got me thinking....

I wish I had pics of the process, but if an explanation is not enough, this can be taken out.

Custom p-leather wrapped glove box cover, cushioned arm rest, and shift boot.

The glove box is pretty simple, its just a matter of taking it all apart, ripping off the old tweet (I left the foam backing, however), applying some fabric glue and cutting and gluing to the back side. Then just put eveything back together and turns out like this

For the arm rest, I found some foam padding around my house that i stacked and glued together, taking care to make it slightly bigger than the arm rest itself for visual reasons once its covered.

Then its the same deal, spray on some fabric glue, put on your material, and start tucking / cutting / gluing on the backside. Once you're all done, screw that back piece on so it holds the frabric.

The next thing I did was sew up a shifter boot. I just took the old one apart by cutting the thread with an exacto knife, transfered the pattern onto my new material and cut away. Now for obvious reasons, you'll want to sew this upside down (two pieces of material facing in on each other). What I did to achieve a nicer seam is that I folded over the material like this.

And you end up with a seam looking like this (pardon my janky looking thread, it was my first time sewing)

Then invert it, put it all back together and it looks like this:

Another fun project was my LED foot/dome lights.

I bought some led's off ebay, they come in all sorts of different kinds (I'll let you do the research). Mine came with the appropriate resistors too. I bought some soldering iron, and this sort of backboard that you can put the LED's on.

Solder it all together and end up with:

Foot light:

Dome light (pardon the tape, it was temporary.)

Now the camera shots dont give these justice. I thought they looked damn good, and they light up the interior nicely.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
hypertek,

your front 5-lug also got me thinking. what did you do? did you take ALL but one of the studs out, mount up a hub-centric wheel and mark where you needed to drill? or did you get like a hub-centric 5-lug brake disc and do the same? fucking love that idea. now when i go 5-lug i'm only purchasing the rears
Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
The hocky pucks are fine.
People have been doing that for years, just make and use some large spacer/fender washers so that the mouting surface doesn't tear up the rubber.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
HyperTek
Post Whore!

unicoladron, Yah when i did that *dont hav ethe car anymore* i had a NA Z32 rear end i purchased for $100.. so the front I just read about a few people doing it back in the days and running over a few years with taht setup. Remove the hub, use a drill press. I previously had 5lug Z32 rotors that I had drilled out for 4lug at the time, so i used that as a guide for the drilling. You have to trim some metal off the back to make the studs sit flat. Leave 1 original stud in the setup. Basically your going to have 1 original hole, and 4 new holes. Pop studs in, and test fit them into a wheel to make sure it clears smoothly.

Make sure you drill the stud holes right so the stud sticks in.. my idiot friend who did this for me made the holes too loose and id have a problem with them falling out, so i had to have them tack welded.. grrrrrrr

I eventually replaced the wheel bearings on those hubs since they went out, i figure that was due to the age of the car anyways.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
khoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to khoadogg
love the thread. yeah, had my neighbor do the front 5lug for me after i already bought the ichiba set. Now I have spare 5lug fronts redrilled.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #19
SCato
Leaky Injector

SCato is an unknown quantity at this point
amazing thread!1!!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #20
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
S13/J30 E-brake cable DIY mod:

UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
joshchewuhh
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (56)
joshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfectionjoshchewuhh is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 56 reviews
Send a message via AIM to joshchewuhh
i like the 5 lug hub conversion but one problem......
how did he get the lug bolts to stay in the hole considering they have teeth like ends? (when tightening lug nut the bolt doesnt spin with the lug nut so it cant be tightened?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 AM   #22
JDMClifford
Zilvia Junkie

JDMClifford is an unknown quantity at this point
... you press the studs in. like the factory did.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 AM   #23
DoriftoPnoy
Zilvia Addict

DoriftoPnoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMClifford View Post
... you press the studs in. like the factory did.
press it in? they would strip the teeth when you're torqueing/untorqueing the lug nuts.

hypertek please enlighten us...
Old 01-29-2008, 04:18 AM   #24
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
they dont spin stock - y would they spin?

the holes arent splined stock... if thats what u mean

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #25
yarou
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
yarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfectionyarou is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Man, doing anything to the s12 is DIY. Aftermarket = nonexistant

z31 bushings, had to make em fit

Stock rack bushings, theres no aftermarket for s12 so temporarily I swiss cheesed them and poly'd it. I also poly'd other stuff like the diff and tranny mount

jack o lantern'd the pumpkin

Refreshed/painted/cleaned all the suspension stuff while they were out for new bushings

redrilled q45 rotors to 4lug

Yes, actual initial D arcade steering wheel with namco max tune center thing. thanks ayuaddict for this thing, he drilled it and centered it to a hub

Hockey puck mounts

s13 rear mirror, the stock one hangs very low on the middle of the windshield

s13 PBM coilovers to match the s13 suspension conversion in the front with q45 brakes

PBM rears disassembled and different spring used in the rear

Old mount/bushing from s12 shocks and pressed into s13 rear bottom mount

took out the rear wiper and plugged it with a faucet hole cover

Sat like this for half a year

Sits like this now

There's a ton of other stuff I had to climb over to make work on the s12, I'll probably show it later. This car sucks. Next up is getting the KA in and running, welding in new strut towers in the rear to use full s13 rear coilovers, cage, and if it doesn't get fucked within a year or so, maybe rear multilink
Old 01-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #26
zugoi
Zilvia Junkie

zugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to behold
cool thread, as for the hockey puck. Thats how old hot rodders use to do it. No custom motor mounts so just drilled through hocket puck and that was it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #27
HyperTek
Post Whore!

joshchewuhh - hopefully you didnt make the hole too big.. the stud should bearly fit and not go all the way, put a brake rotor on it and then use a wheel lug and torque it down to pull the stud all teh way through. When done correctly they can not spin. The ribbed teeth on the stud will grab in the drilled hole.

yarou - Sweet thanks for contributing looks great
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
alindeman1989
Zilvia Addict

alindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to allalindeman1989 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to alindeman1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarou View Post
jack o lantern'd the pumpkin

you are the man, i really like the "jack o lantern'd the pumpkin" +1

Last edited by alindeman1989; 01-30-2008 at 01:26 AM..
alindeman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #29
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
No need to quote a million pictures...

Damn, people, use common sense.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #30
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
^ +1 on that. We need to start up the forum etiquette thread! ha,ha,ha...