Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #121
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
What difference is there between autocross and road course usage? You might want slightly higher spring rates to work tires harder in autox, but a "good" setup is going to be very similar on both of those applications.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #122
motoman6968
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
motoman6968 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmotoman6968 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmotoman6968 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmotoman6968 is making his/her stupidity well-knownmotoman6968 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tein super drifts work fine for me, and the ride is actually not bad.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #123
infamous240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
infamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really niceinfamous240sx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to infamous240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuaddict View Post
i didnt see KTS anywhere on that list...maybe you should add it.
Its in the midrange area bro.
infamous240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #124
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
our school's engineering or aerospace department has a shock dyno. The idea of testing several different brand of dampeners and writing a full report on the test has crossed my mind a few times.

I've been thinking about my senior design project for next year, and perhaps i'll do something that involves the testing of a couple different shocks and the full range of settings.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #125
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ YESSSS! Do it!

I bet we can have some retailers and possibly members 'loan' a couple coilovers... the problem is usually you want just the damper on the shock dyno, and people aren't going to want to disassemble their coilovers (I'm guessing). Anyhow, an apples-to-apples comparison with soft, mid range, and stiff settings on a bunch of coilovers needs to be done

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #126
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
our school's engineering or aerospace department has a shock dyno. The idea of testing several different brand of dampeners and writing a full report on the test has crossed my mind a few times.

I've been thinking about my senior design project for next year, and perhaps i'll do something that involves the testing of a couple different shocks and the full range of settings.
Definitely do it. Posi rep.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #127
iAMprojekt
Leaky Injector

iAMprojekt is making a name for him/her selfiAMprojekt is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to iAMprojekt
i didnt see D2 on the lower end coilover range.... you can usually get them for about $900 shipped and they outperform anything else that ive seen in the cheaper category
iAMprojekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #128
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
So I began looking into another suspension company based in the Netherlands: www.ast-suspension.com.

Seems the founder used to work for Koni for quite a bit of time and started his own company.

I emailed AST USA because I heard Aragosta coilovers were made in Netherlands by AST suspension but had no solid evidence. Apparently Brian @ AST USA verified that with this email he sent me:

"Jason,
Single adjustable is $1750. Top mounts are optional. Fronts are $385 Rears are $230. 3 way shocks come with top mounts. Doubles have not been created for the S14, but we can probably do them. Struts and shock doubles are usually around $2650. We can use whatever spring rates you want.

Topline is AST's dealer in Japan. They didn't want to use the AST name so he came up with Aragosta."

Brian was very fast at responding to my emails and inquiries about AST coilovers and now that there is AST USA, stateside support is readily available. Sounds like a viable but pricy option.

AST Suspension might also be another way to go.
Aoshi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #129
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
^Posi rep for you.

Finally it's confirmed.

Can't wait till that upgrade!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #130
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
BMW guys like the AST setup, but for the price I think I'd lean towards 8610/8611s.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #131
spool_sample
Zilvia Member

spool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond repute
I guess Aragosta is owned by AST then? Interesting, I always thought that Aragosta was its own company.
spool_sample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #132
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
I have a semi-decent list up at http://driftkat.com

A list of exhausts too. It's definitely not complete.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #133
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool_sample View Post
I guess Aragosta is owned by AST then? Interesting, I always thought that Aragosta was its own company.
Well i think you read it wrong.

Topline is a dealer of AST shocks in Japan. The guys called the AST coilovers in japan, Topline Aragosta, instead of AST Coilovers because they didn't want to use the AST name. This is how I understand it from Brian's email.
Aoshi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #134
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
god I'd roll ASTs in an instant.

Racing Gear looks interesting too from the dyno that was posted.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #135
spool_sample
Zilvia Member

spool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoshi112 View Post
Well i think you read it wrong.

Topline is a dealer of AST shocks in Japan. The guys called the AST coilovers in japan, Topline Aragosta, instead of AST Coilovers because they didn't want to use the AST name. This is how I understand it from Brian's email.
Sure, but Aragosta seems to be its own company.

www.aragosta-suspension.com

And then there's Topline.

http://www.aragosta.co.jp/

Judging from that e-mail, Aragosta is either owned by AST, or there are two different Aragostas. The former makes a lot more sense.

In any case, it doesn't matter, good shocks either way.
spool_sample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #136
Def
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRussellPants View Post
god I'd roll ASTs in an instant.

Racing Gear looks interesting too from the dyno that was posted.
After checking out the numbers and looking at it more closely, they don't look that great(the Racing Gear ones).

ASTs are nice, but one thing that concerned me is it seemed like they were using similar valving/same shocks for very different applications. Not so much a problem as long as you can get things more in line with adjustments, but on single adjustables I'd be wary.

I never realized how much difference changing the bump can make always having single adjustables, but with 8611s up front 1 click either way makes a huge difference in how the car responds.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #137
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Without finding that plot again, the racing gears had the right shape, but they were way overdamped in rebound and, I think, overdamped in compression as well. So unless they were for something like a 3500+lb S13, they wouldn't work that well.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #138
delphis
Zilvia Junkie

delphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura about
I have a simple question about pillow mounts, are they inter changable from coilover brand? the reason I ask is I just got a set of the tanabe sustec pro s-oc 2 and tanabe says that they are discontinuing them so they are no longer making the pillow mounts for them. Could I simply put some tein/hks upper pillow mounts on instead?
delphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #139
s13.5ftw
Leaky Injector

s13.5ftw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okinawandrifter87 View Post
Kei Office is continued but I think he is making a new line called Dg5? Someone correct me if I am wrong thanks, just trying to contribute to this helpful thread.
yup i was gonna say he didnt include dg5's, and i got a review on these from formula d driver joon woo maeng, he says he likes them a lot, he said that he could feel the difference from his last coils (no idea what they were), but anyways for those people wondering about the dg5's i guess there a good buy? 2500 better be a good buy lol
s13.5ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #140
stupid nissan

stupid nissan is on the path to ruinstupid nissan is on the path to ruin
when people give reviews they also dont say what they have for the rest of the suspension and how it is set up etc alginment settings that makes a big difference in the way the car handles as well
stupid nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #141
Mikey213
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (-1)
Mikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really niceMikey213 is just really nice
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
The ultimate coilover thread would also explain signs and symptoms of blown, leaky, bad etc. coilovers... and also explain spring rates (comfort-full race)
Mikey213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #142
Mi Beardo es Loco
Nissanaholic!

Location: A place where boob jobs ruined the best thing about being a fat chick.
Mi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfectionMi Beardo es Loco is close to perfection
I got a set of Kei Office and the ride makes my tail bone hurt. I always feel violated but like a cheap whore I always ride it again.
Mi Beardo es Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #143
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey213 View Post
The ultimate coilover thread would also explain signs and symptoms of blown, leaky, bad etc. coilovers... and also explain spring rates (comfort-full race)
Bad coilovers would be eBay specials and most definitely anything under a grand new.

Spring rates don't play as much into comfort as damping does.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:20 PM   #144
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
dg5s..
should i post agian?
what the hell
i talked w/ my friends at FD who run DG5
pat, chris, joon, justin...well not about DG5s just shooting the shit but i have talked w/ them in the past before i ordered mine up. make sure no gimicks

all them absoultely love them
pat did mention on full soft he can push is car down a good amount and on full stiff nothing

forsberg did say the adj is incredible. clicks make a difference u can set it stupid soft and it is soooft. or hard and it extremely stiff.

anyways
most wont spend the money but those who do, wont be disappoint
i test mine when my car is running in 2 weeks. JD rd2!
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #145
MrD
Leaky Injector

MrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to allMrD is a name known to all
Tanabe Sustec Fives feedback anyone?
Yes they do not go as low as the Sevens.
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #146
die hardrift fan
Zilvia Junkie

die hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant futuredie hardrift fan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to die hardrift fan
im lookin into ksport kontrol pro for 500 used great condition. any reviews or opinions plz? thanks

Last edited by die hardrift fan; 04-17-2008 at 02:02 AM..
die hardrift fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #147
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by die hardrift fan View Post
im lookin into ksport kontrol pro for 500 used great condition. any reviews or opinions plz? thanks
Be careful with used k sports the valving is not the best from my experience I have them on my daily and have had no issue. but if you are going to track the car i would recommend at least stance. Megan are also another budget coil over but imo the track series with 10/8 spring rate are to stiff. just my opinion
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #148
steve_o1989
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
steve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond reputesteve_o1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
What about some of the higher end k-sport? Does anyone have any track experience with those?
1992 Talon Tsi - Sold
steve_o1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #149
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
SicBastard, about my earlier post about Ohlins being designed for high speed dampening, I apologize because that statement was vague. I was speaking with a Ohlins, Motons, etc. (high end stuff) dealer in Sonoma, I forget the name, and getting feedback which suspension I should go with. My requirements were having my car to be daily drivable and competitive on the race track. Although those two requirements are unnecessarily intermingled, I wanted to go with something I can tailor to my driving style now (auto-x or occasional track days), and as I progress , eventually turn my car into a race car, I could use the same suspension without upgrading. Of course I would have to re-valve if I were to use different springs. Anyway, back to the Ohlins, from what I understood from the shop was that the high speed dampening would not be beneficial on highway roads due to the amount of pot holes and bumps. From what I have been told by Brian at AST is that high speed compression is taken into affect when the damper moves greater than 4in/sec. In retrospect, and as I was told, was that is too much rebound and compression dampening (single adjustment) to soak up the bump on the roads to be daily driven. Hope I've made sense in my slur of things.

Last edited by mmdb; 04-17-2008 at 02:38 PM..
mmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #150
jsasrsr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
jsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jsasrsr
k sport's are horrible, although very appealing. anyways if anyone needs some s14 coil's i have a set of tein flex's that im letting go for 900 shipped!
jsasrsr is offline   Reply With Quote