Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #31
240on430
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had the popping noise with my cuscos also. the noise went away after messing with the pre-load.

edit: 0 pre-load

Last edited by 240on430; 08-07-2007 at 12:03 AM..
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #32
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240on430 View Post
i had the popping noise with my cuscos also. the noise went away after messing with the pre-load.
popping noise is pretty common with all c/o but this noise is like a rusty door creak.
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 AM   #33
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, the noise is pretty bad. Plus it feels pretty dangerous. Like Munch said, after making a low speed turn and the spring pops, the steering has a bias towards the direction that you just turned to, even after straightening the wheels. I guess it's because the spring isn't seated properly and is twisted? After going over a small bump or turning a little the other way, the spring pops/creaks back into place.

Hello? Touge Factory? Recall please?
chuonthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #34
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
I had the exact same problem with my JIC's. I did everything mentioned above, and then I thought that it might be something really simple. So, I put penetrating oil on the pivot ball, and all that noise went away completely. haha.
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #35
240on430
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GP View Post
popping noise is pretty common with all c/o but this noise is like a rusty door creak.
i had the same noise...it was a creaking noise. my coilovers still have the popping b/c a worn out pilowball.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #36
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

misfitsfreak81 is an unknown quantity at this point
i also have the same issues coming from the pillowball mounts. seemed to help for a little while when i hit them with silicone spray. but i have never been able to properly torque the top nut. the shaft has rotated in the shock body every time. this is the #1 way to destroy the seals and valving in the shock.

this is quite a disapointment seeing as how EVERYONE was raving about these coilovers, which is the main reason that i went with them. now im seeing that more than a few people have this same problem. has anyone gotten satisfaction from Stance?

im in the process of rebuilding a bunch of shit on my car right now, but if they are still making the shitty noise when it gets back on the road i think im going to call Touge Factory and see how they want to handle it. Scott at TF is the man by the way, those guys are great. i ordered my coilovers on a tuesday and they were on my door the very next morning, with standard shipping rates. Sick.

hopefully this issue gets resolved. if anyone has got the problem fixed please post here.

mike
misfitsfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #37
davidrools

davidrools is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess I'll chime in on this one too:

I'm having the same problem on my Stance GR+ on a S13. I'm running about 1.25" drop. Symptoms: spring "boing" sound when turning, followed by pulling in that direction.

Attempts: Adding preload didn't help at all. I torqued the top nut dangerously tight and that didn't help at all either.

So then I completely removed the strut assembly from the camber plate/spherical bearing and lubed and moved the spherical bearing as much as possible to try to get it loosened up. That still didn't work.

Tomorrow or Wednesday I'm going to take off the camber plate and try to get that spherical bearing to rotate and do it as much as possible in an attempt to "break in" the bearing so the assembly doesn't have to rotate around the strut body.

A couple observations: the fact that the strut body rotates is bad not only for the damper's seals, but it also tends to loosen the spring perches, as it did on mine. Also, the caster angle changes during steering rotation and you can notice that moving at the spherical bearing, but the rotation doesn't happen. that is kind of odd. Finally, this seems to be a problem isolated to Stance kits that were shipped out within the last month or two, which makes me think they made a bad run of camber plates with spherical bearings that are way too tight/out of spec.
davidrools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #38
davidrools

(possible statement of the obvious for some, clarification for others)

For other people (particularly those with another brand of coilovers-cusco, mr, etc.) that have the same problem fixed with preload and/or top nut torque is that their spherical bearings are tight but not as tight as we're seeing with the stances. Adding preload and/or torquing the top nut could, in some instances, add the frictional force necessary to break the spherical bearing loose and allow it to rotate there instead of at the spring perches.

edit: adding preload actually won't increase the amount of force on a spring perch except when the corner is unweighted, which isn't the case when we're just turning slowly and hearing this sound.

Last edited by davidrools; 08-07-2007 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: new information
Old 08-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #39
240on430
Zilvia Member

^ did you try to reduce or eliminate pre-load?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #40
davidrools

^ yes, with zero preload, the problem persists.

Sometimes lubricating the spherical bearing seems to temporarily makes the sound a little softer, but I haven't observed the proper rotation of the bearing in the camber plate, no matter how much I've tried to lube/break it in.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #41
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I plan to order my coilover within this month and this thread is giving me a second thought about buyin GR+...

I'm going to sit out for a while til there's a reasonable explanation on why those noises are occurring. There was another problem with the most recent purchases also.. iirc someone had ordered Stance Basic and it wasn't assembled completly.

I just think it was just a bad batch, it happens. But, I'm already sold on there coilcovers since there were very good reviews when they first made their appearance.
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #42
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2iv0 sx View Post
I plan to order my coilover within this month and this thread is giving me a second thought about buyin GR+...

I'm going to sit out for a while til there's a reasonable explanation on why those noises are occurring. There was another problem with the most recent purchases also.. iirc someone had ordered Stance Basic and it wasn't assembled completly.

I just think it was just a bad batch, it happens. But, I'm already sold on there coilcovers since there were very good reviews when they first made their appearance.
unless you plan on super slamming your car, i would suggest going kts. its bad enough that i had to receive a bad batch but its pretty shitty when they dont even respond to my emails so much for cust service.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #43
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2iv0 sx View Post

Just go ahead and buy them.

I think most of the problems are user error. People have chimed in with other companies besides Stance with this problem.

Right now one of my cars are rocking Stance and I've had no major peoblems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GP View Post
unless you plan on super slamming your car, i would suggest going kts. its bad enough that i had to receive a bad batch but its pretty shitty when they dont even respond to my emails so much for cust service.
I've had both Stance and Kts. Both give about the same drop.
I've sent Stance a few emails myself and all were replied promptly... Maybe you should try and contact Touge Factory.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #44
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Just go ahead and buy them.

I think most of the problems are user error. People have chimed in with other companies besides Stance with this problem.

Right now one of my cars are rocking Stance and I've had no major peoblems.
right.... because 2 pages of users so far are too retarded to setup their coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
I've had both Stance and Kts. Both give about the same drop.
I've sent Stance a few emails myself and all were replied promptly... Maybe you should try and contact Touge Factory.
believe me, all emails of mine that were not relating to the noise were answered promptly. i guess they will help where they can but ignore the bigger problem. i will however, take your advice and contact TF directly.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #45
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

keep this thread alive. let us know how TF handles it. those guys have been super cool in the past and hopefully they back their product.

mike
Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #46
cgguy
Leaky Injector

cgguy is on a distinguished road
Does anyone else get the feeling that Stance is having a hard time keeping up with supply and demand?

I got my GR+'s when they were first introduced, infact I think they were the first ever set brought over to Canada. They have been 100% perfect since I installed them appart from slightly noisy pillowball mounts (a problem with some of the older units).

It seems every week there's another horror story regarding siezed joints, forgotten/uninstalled camber plates, no extra included set of springs, etc.

I wonder if they were rushed into shipping a buch of faulty units??? Remeber these guys blew up overnight and now they have to keep up with backorders and tonnes of unhappy customes. Last I checked they still only had 2 tech guys.

I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with Stance, I've ordered replacement dampers and parts all without hassle....I hope in future they are able to keep all their new customes as happy as I am.
cgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #47
gunluvS14
Zilvia Member

gunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura about
this seems strange.. mine just came in this week, i haven't install mine yet
gunluvS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #48
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgguy View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that Stance is having a hard time keeping up with supply and demand?

I got my GR+'s when they were first introduced, infact I think they were the first ever set brought over to Canada. They have been 100% perfect since I installed them appart from slightly noisy pillowball mounts (a problem with some of the older units).

It seems every week there's another horror story regarding siezed joints, forgotten/uninstalled camber plates, no extra included set of springs, etc.

I wonder if they were rushed into shipping a buch of faulty units??? Remeber these guys blew up overnight and now they have to keep up with backorders and tonnes of unhappy customes. Last I checked they still only had 2 tech guys.

I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with Stance, I've ordered replacement dampers and parts all without hassle....I hope in future they are able to keep all their new customes as happy as I am.
i quoted your post from 240sxf on the first page, hope you dont mind
Old 08-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #49
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
I just got off the phone with David at Stance. He gave me the "torque top nut to 55lb-ft" and the "zero preload" advice, which I told him I already tried. Then he suggested a couple of things.

The first was to take the top nut off completely, reseat it, and torque it back on. He said sometimes the nut isn't properly threaded which can cause this problem.

The second was that if the first suggestion didn't work, I should try taking off the top hat and flipping the spring around (which it looks like D1GP tried without success). He said the springs sometimes won't make contact well with the top hat and flipping it might help.

He said if those things didn't help, they could try sending me a new set of springs and a spacer for use between the top hat and camber plate. Then if that still doesn't resolve the problem, he mentioned sending me a whole new assembly.

I'm not sure why he was so insistent that it is the springs' fault. I kind of asked him why but I don't remember what his answer was exactly.

Anyway, I'll try to work on it this weekend or next week and see what happens. If anyone else can try the suggestions above and let us know what happens, that'd be great.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #50
Nachtmensch
Zilvia Addict

Nachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond repute
hmm, i had GR's that i bought may of 06. i never had any problems like this. i picked them up from TF and Rob explained how everything went together (first time buying coilovers). the only problem i had was going too low with my car and rubbing away a harness, which was my problem.

the boys over at TF never gave me any problems and i would deffinately buy from again. hell, im trying to get a mr2 application from them.
Nachtmensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #51
240on430
Zilvia Member

got a set of gr pros last week...right before i read this post.

i want to return them and order a set of kts coilovers. i dont want to try to break them in and later find out i can't return them anymore.

was anyone able to get rid of the noise?

edited in: I was able to get rid of all noise on the drivers side with the top nut torqued. I flipped the spring and set it at zero pre-load.

I did the same on the right but noise was there, but barely. I check the pre-load and the spring was sagging so, I set it to zero but the noise is louder. Next, I'm going to re-flip the spring(I might have not flipped it) and/or add more pre-load.

Last edited by 240on430; 08-10-2007 at 11:12 PM..
Old 08-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #52
misfitsfreak81
Zilvia Junkie

so has anyone found a way to keep the shaft from turning when trying to torque the top nut to 55ftlbs? if so what did you do? please let us all know.

mike
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #53
240on430
Zilvia Member

flipped the spring and cleaned up the friction points with wd-40 and the coils have been silent for the passed 2 days now. i also sprayed the upper mount joint and moved the joint around with a big screwdriver...i felt the effort to move(wasn't ever able to rotate) the ball around was getting lighter as I was moving it..

so when i finally got rid of the noise, i started stiffening the damping and im loving how they ride!

i hope everyone else gets to fix the noise.

Last edited by 240on430; 08-15-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 AM   #54
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Congrats! ^^^

I haven't tried flipping my springs yet but I did reseat the top nut. While the nut was off and with the top bolt out of the way, I stuck the nut into the ball joint and just used a socket wrench to move the ball joint around to hopefully loosen it.

Set preload to zero, without the extra two turns. The pinging was gone from the driver's side for a couple of turns, then it returned. Both sides are pinging lightly now. Will probably try the spring flipping within the next week.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #55
240on430
Zilvia Member

^^^

when you flip the spring, you'll notice that the bottom of the last coil will have the black paint scraped off.

i guess the slippery paint was the reason the spring rotates and makes noise.

on another note, has anyone replaced the shocks with the new AL+s?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #56
cgguy
Leaky Injector

Quote:
^^^

i guess the slippery paint was the reason the spring rotates and makes noise.
Paint or no paint it still should not rotate at the spring perch. I greased the daylights out of all the contact points on my coilovers and they still rotate at the top mount where they're supposed to.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #57
240on430
Zilvia Member

^^^how much did you pay for the shocks? which were replaced and how long until you wanted/had to replace the shocks? consider using the AL+ shocks as your next replacements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgguy View Post
Paint or no paint it still should not rotate at the spring perch. I greased the daylights out of all the contact points on my coilovers and they still rotate at the top mount where they're supposed to.
what did you use to lubricate the contact points?

Last edited by 240on430; 08-15-2007 at 01:18 PM..
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #58
cgguy
Leaky Injector

Quote:
^^^how much did you pay for the shocks? which were replaced and how long until you wanted/had to replace the shocks? consider using the AL+ shocks as your next replacements?

what did you you to lubricate the contact points?
Damper replacement was $175 Canadian to my door (through my supplier). I'm pretty sure the rears are cheaper since they're not monotube .

One great thing about Stance is you can order any individual part you need down to single nuts, collars, adjusters etc.....that's pretty cool.

I only needed one so no, I didn't get AL+ .....I wasn't even aware there was a difference aside from the casing color/materal.

Used generic green grease for all the contact points and pillowball assemblys and white lithium spray grease to keep the threads lubed.

I've had 2 years of driving on them and no problems yet (aside from the busted damper which was my fault)

edit** ps. Anyone know what happened to thier external reservior coils? They aren't on the website anymore.....
Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #59
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Link to page but since it's not linked anymore on their website, I'm not sure if it's still available. Maybe the webmaster accidentally replaced the link with the AL+ link instead of adding.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #60
240on430
Zilvia Member

the GR+3's are discontinued