Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #61
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Yea exactly, who wants to be able to breath in 10 years?

$pending dead pre$ident$ J@CK@TT@CK!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #62
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

cmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to cmcdougle
I'd pay $400 to get mine legal. If my car were legal, that would be way more than enough to convince me not to sell it.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #63
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
man this is bad ass! how long is this gonna take before you can get the ball rolling with an actual certificate and the price for this incredible service? this is the only thing stopping me from going rb or sr also.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 PM   #64
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

coreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfection
ill let you guys use my car as a test car for the certification
Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #65
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
I dont know exactly how long its going to take.
The current issue is whether we can partially carryover the cert from the USDM SR20DE even though it is front wheel drive.
EDIT: and non turbo
From the numbers that Rockout gave me its not too far off from my KA, but its not that easy
it has to go through a more stringent test then just a sniffer like I said before...
I compiled some data but its pretty basic and readily available, like bore, stroke hp, that kinda stuff
if anyone has any technical info about the nitty gritty diferences between the red's blacks 14's and FWD DE's that would be great!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #66
cmcdougle
Zilvia FREAK!

cmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to beholdcmcdougle is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to cmcdougle
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer
ill let you guys use my car as a test car for the certification
You can use mine, too. I have an RB20DET in my S14. It will be pushing 300rwhp in about a month (I'm hoping), so I don't know if you can use it still. LMK, if it isn't going to be too long, I might wait on the upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknbkthrsdy4anfg
I dont know exactly how long its going to take.
The current issue is whether we can partially carryover the cert from the USDM SR20DE even though it is front wheel drive.
I wouldn't think it would make a difference, being front wheel drive. the drivetrain doesn't change the emissions!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #67
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdougle
I wouldn't think it would make a difference, being front wheel drive. the drivetrain doesn't change the emissions!
The problem is some things (I dont know them) are different between the two SR's. also the USDM SR has an EGR

Old 02-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #68
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
you can find alot in sr fsm's in terms of exact numbers, i've only seen the one for s14 and s15, i don't think i've seen s13's in english...,
obviously fwd sr's, you can get fsm readily available here
Old 02-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #69
motonagam
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
motonagam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Philthy- An EGR is just one means Nissan used to cut emissions, just like a catalyst or air injection. Under a CARB e.o., if the car passes tail pipe emissions it will not need it. There are plenty of cars without Exhaust Gas Recirculation that will pass smog.
Not specific to Nissans, but some cars that do not have EGR uses variable cam timing of the exhaust cam as EGR... it advances the exhaust cam timing so the exhaust valves close sooner during the exhaust stroke, thus trapping some of the exhaust gas in the cylinder for its next combustion cycle.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #70
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
so, if i get my car cert. tested and now 2 yrs has passed, i need smog. do i just show the smog tech the cert. papers or is it already on the system, showing up as sr?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #71
NISMO240SXSE1
Leaky Injector

NISMO240SXSE1 is an unknown quantity at this point
s13

I want to sr my car as well but the legal issues are stopping me,not money issues. This IS my daily driver so I'd hate to always be tripping about getting stopped. Fuck it if my ka project fails I'll probably swap it anyways.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #72
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This thread is great. Keep up the good work and fight the system.

I'm leaving the SR for the LSx platform, and this is one of the primary reasons for my doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20drifter1
I live in VA and I have a '98 blacktop S13 Sr20det. I took it to a gas station to have it inspected. It failed the first time.When they changed the O2 sensor, it passed without any problem. I always take my car to the same guys to have it inspected.I'm completly street legal.
With all due respect, you are incorrect. VA has a very strange way of interpreting the legal code. "Standard make" should mean "OEM-equivalent"; however, the police and courts interpret the term to mean "originally equipped from the factory".

I'm in the same boat as you are though. We pass state inspection with no problems, but our cars are still not federally legal.

I hope we could have a more intelligent legal system, but that would be asking for too much.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #73
delphis
Zilvia Junkie

delphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura aboutdelphis has a spectacular aura about
well if you need a test subject for the sr20de jdm rwd version I have one in my car. I am currently running a slightly janky setup though, but soon I should be running it with all the stock ecu and everything that the car is suppose to run with.

currently I am running the sr20de with the ka24e ecu and a janky wiring harness but I will be replacing it with the full stock sr20de setup in the next month or so. So I will be glad to be a test subject at your facility and I live in antioch and work in berkeley. I would love to get this dcone because I have to some how legally smog it by the end of feb.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #74
HKsilvia
Zilvia Junkie

HKsilvia is on the path to ruinHKsilvia is on the path to ruin
Send a message via ICQ to HKsilvia
to tknbkthrsdy4anfg (dang ur name is hard to spell...jk) :
u are a hero that giving us SRdet owners light from the dark. thank you for doing such project no matter it will succeed or not.
i can give you all my support available on achieving SR legal task, im using a S15 engine and im glad to use it to help u as a test subject. i even have the FSM available. and if you can really get SRs certified, i would definitely pay to certified it. im getting really sick of CA cops popping hood issue on all other zilvilians and such. i bet our SRs have better emittion than hot rod!!
sry for my poor grammer just want to know i will give you my full support. pm me if u need help and keep us update!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #75
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Just make sure to do the sr20det's... And nothing gay like a sr20de.

Even if emissions parts need to be made it would still be worth it.

If you can come through with what you say you want to do my daily will be fun.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #76
billgerth
Leaky Injector

billgerth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKsilvia
to tknbkthrsdy4anfg (dang ur name is hard to spell...jk) :
u are a hero that giving us SRdet owners light from the dark. thank you for doing such project no matter it will succeed or not.
i can give you all my support available on achieving SR legal task, im using a S15 engine and im glad to use it to help u as a test subject. i even have the FSM available. and if you can really get SRs certified, i would definitely pay to certified it. im getting really sick of CA cops popping hood issue on all other zilvilians and such. i bet our SRs have better emittion than hot rod!!
sry for my poor grammer just want to know i will give you my full support. pm me if u need help and keep us update!!!
werd. despite the fact that there are a ton of dreamers and/or cheap asses on here who would rather deal with smog every 2 years, this thread obviously proves there are a significant amount of people interested.

keep it up tkn. this if for all of us who know this can be done, we've only needed someone with the resources and ambitions to get the ball rollin
Old 02-05-2007, 02:14 AM   #77
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Hey everyone, sorry I havent been on in a while, i've been out doing stuff including rolling my fenders (wow that was a pain in the ass) and almost getting killed passing douchebags in accords on the touges around the napa valley.
So, here is what I am thinking, the FWD SR20DE in the state of CA's eyes is close enough to a RWD SR20DET to give us a little leway with the state. It should not be that hard getting it to pass (we have our own inhouse piggyback ecu and tons of experience using map tuning to pass smog) and the DET is close enough already that all I really need is the support. I am glad that a bunch of you have written, I am going to use this to help support my case. Because basically if I did the swap myself, I have the resourses to get mine legalized. but whoop dee doo, that doesnt do anything for the community of people that are driving LEGIT imports. So, I really want this to happen for the benefit of the 240sx community, but also to better the name of import drivers in general, and to rub it in the face of cops who harass us. Also, dont we all dream of making a name for our selves?
My arguements to take to my boss are:

*The SR20DE has been legalized in CA, it's probably close enough in the states eyes to not have to do the really indepth test. (Lots of time and $)
*There is enough interest in doing this, that for his business it could make some profit. (Obviously a good reason to start a project)
*The SR20DET is close enough sniffer wise that it shouldnt be that hard (I have someone's numbers from Nevada that are cleaner then my KA)
*I have inside, personal interest in this project (otherwise he wouldnt care)

Sorry if this doesnt makes sense, Im coming down hard off a redbull/ adrenaline/ warming up cause i've been chillin out side for two hours and its 32 degrees outside/ I almost died tonight rush.
But I really hope this works

EDIT: Is Touge Instinct a name of a crew? cause I came up with that as my excuse for passing the accord. I was thinking about what to say and this is my line "He was driving like a douche infront of me and my touge instinct kicked in and I just had to pass him, How was I to know that as soon as we got wheel to wheel a car would be coming the other way?"

Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #78
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

coreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfection
is there any hope for us rb people?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #79
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
EDIT: Is Touge Instinct a name of a crew? cause I came up with that as my excuse for passing the accord. I was thinking about what to say and this is my line "He was driving like a douche infront of me and my touge instinct kicked in and I just had to pass him, How was I to know that as soon as we got wheel to wheel a car would be coming the other way?"
Can you leave stupid bullshit like this out of this thread? Less wannabe initial D BS and more legalizing SR powered 240's.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #80
HKsilvia
Zilvia Junkie

HKsilvia is on the path to ruinHKsilvia is on the path to ruin
Send a message via ICQ to HKsilvia
Quote:
i think it just because u want to pass him or it just pop up in your mind all of your sudden, but i got ur point, it happes. btw, maybe ur new to this forum, a lot of ppl here are really reactive with word like touge/mouhtain pass/initial D etc. so yea... beware.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #81
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Flybert- Sorry man I was a little strung out last night
Starting wednesday Im going to be working on this project a little harder.
Yes I am new, I've only known what forums were for like 3 months
Corean Surfer- One step at a time...

Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #82
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

^^not trying to rush you, just want to make sure were not forgotten
Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #83
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
SR passes TXs emmissons without a cat better than KAs with all the emmisions shit do.

This thread makes me want to do laps around a national park on leaded gas and a 9:1 A/F.

I can do laps around the police station open downpipe and cops don't care, enviroment can eat whatevers underneath the sink for all I care.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #84
S13Disco
Zilvia Member

S13Disco is making a name for him/her selfS13Disco is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to S13Disco
Legal SR would be NICE!!!!!! I drive my car daily so yea i always have to change routes because of cops and them setting up their surprise smog stations on the side of the road!! I HATE THOSE!!!! I have and S13 Redtop. Ill pay!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #85
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRussellPants
SR passes TXs emmissons without a cat better than KAs with all the emmisions shit do.

This thread makes me want to do laps around a national park on leaded gas and a 9:1 A/F.

I can do laps around the police station open downpipe and cops don't care, enviroment can eat whatevers underneath the sink for all I care.

Wow... I dont know what to say.
Disco- They actually do that?!? I have just heard they did that in the 80's and it was an urban legend now!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #86
FusionR240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
FusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FusionR240sx
i'll give you $300 to make mine pass...

OBDII car OBD-0 motor...
WUT?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #87
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
Quote:

Wow... I dont know what to say.
Disco- They actually do that?!? I have just heard they did that in the 80's and it was an urban legend now!
no, cali had that shit rolling recently, don't know about now though
Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #88
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In Mass the scan your VIN number into the computer and everything like requirements comes up on the screen, there's no way around it because everyone who does emissions needs to use the same computer. Is there anyway this cert will help something like that?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #89
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Yes, with the certification a label is placed underhood that over rules what the computer says.
similar to this

But will instead say engine family SR20DET (or whatever the emissions technical name is)
emissions controls, AIV, CATALYST, O2 Sensor etc...
But it will also have the name of our shop and contact information if there is a problem, And obviously not be from Nissan.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #90
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
I'd be willing to pay up to $500, maybe a bit more to have a smog legal SR powered S13.
Closed Thread