Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch Kit differences KA FS5w71c transmissions, Need solid facts please

O.K heres my problem.
I recently rebuilt a SOHC transmission and swapped it to my DOHC engine. I didn't care that it was a SOHC tranny because I was in no need of the 4th and 5th gear sensors since I have gone on to using the automatic transmission ecu labeled EC.
So since the install I was able to drive about 30 miles until the clutch system froze up. Now I can't even move it into gear without grinding which is a big no, no since it's a new tranny.
Now I have the 91 DOHC engine and the original tranny was a 91 tranny.
I used all the old 91 model year parts such as bearing, pressure plate, 91 fork, and clutch since I wasn't on looking on doing a huge removal.
Now I looked into the clutch, and bearing numbers and found that from 1989-1990, and 1994-1998 the clutch kit manufacturing numbers are the same, but on the 91-mid 94 the manufacturers numbers are different (except for the exedy stage 1 kit for some odd reason). Bearings look the same but are for some reason different. Would this in fact cause the throw out bearing and pressure plate to seize? Could this also cause the bearing to come lose from the fork? I hear a grinding noise at start up as well (sounds like it comes from the throw out bearing). Maybe I didn't use enough GREASE on the bearing?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I'm betting it's either a broken fork pivot, broken front cover, or something not properly lubed. Though there are differences in years between the OE parts, you can mix and match everything as long as the pressure plate fits the flywheel. Pull it and see.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

nissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to nissandr1ft
My RPS clutch had an issue like that, and it was a defective pressure plate. The 89-90 slave cylinder uses a smaller piston, and therefore push the pressure plate farther with the same movement on the pedal. Does the pedal still feel normal? I'll agree it could be the pivot, or fork also. If you adjust all the free play, and it still does it without any of the mentioned noticeable issues... Id bet pressure plate. I'm on my 3rd warrantied one. First one went out over a few weeks. It was noticeable only by the engagement point getting closer to the floor. The second went out immediately after I dropped from 4th to 3rd, something popped, and wouldn't allow me to go into fourth without rev matching.
nissandr1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandr1ft View Post
Does the pedal still feel normal? I'll agree it could be the pivot, or fork also. If you adjust all the free play, and it still does it without any of the mentioned noticeable issues...
Pedal feels lose and goes all the way to the floor, but it vibrates the pedal too. I'm assuming that not lubing the spline as well as the bearing enough caused it to heat up and seize, also causing the fork to bend out of place from the amount of heat and friction.
I've used numerous clutch parts from all make year and model KA's and haven't had this problem.
The clutch system I was using was a stage 1 kevlar 6 puck clutch made by competition clutch, it is rated at about 230ft/lbs of torque, or I believe. Cant quite remember if those specs are right since the clutch kit is over 4 years old.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
mystery_elmo

mystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to mystery_elmo
every1 here seems to know wat there talking about... but vinnie i can tell u wat the real problem is!!!

U LET PAUL DO IT!! thats y ur shit is fucked up!! also dont forget to pay him out! 45/hour dont fuck with his hustle!! lol
mystery_elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
What the fuck was that?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
initial_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
initial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightinitial_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
have you checked your slave cylinder?

There was a time when I was rushing and only hand tightened the two bolts and forgot to get back to them.

On the way home the pedal sank to the floor and I had to pull it back up. The clutch felt loose and didn't seem to disengage when the pedal was all the way down. One bolt disappeared and the other was barely on...

Just check it, if not do what everyone else has recommended
initial_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
downshift_sideways
No Limit Soldier.

downshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to downshift_sideways
(I'm paul FYI. Paul-Anthony )

I correctly installed the throwout bearing. and correctly installed the clutch fork.

However, we did come across the point where it NEEDED lube, but we ignored it.

allntrlundrgrnd: "you never really appreciate your parents fridge until you look into your own and its full of condiments only"

downshift_sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Rnz520
Zilvia Junkie

Rnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Rnz520
If your clutch was sprung you might have popped a spring out, I did that on my Tercel (all that powaaaa).
If not I dont think the lack of lubing would have caused that, maybe a broken pressure plate.
All you can do is take apart and let us know.
Also check your master and slave and line for leaks.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
mystery_elmo

mystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond reputemystery_elmo has a reputation beyond repute
actually it also can be cause u painted it BLUE!! like ur cool or sumthing, and the paint vapors got into the tranny and fucked everything up!!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #11
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery_elmo View Post

U LET PAUL DO IT!! thats y ur shit is fucked up!! also dont forget to pay him out! 45/hour dont fuck with his hustle!! lol
No we all did it dude. You helped lift the back of the tranny while Paul and I were rotating the damn thing into place. Paul did insert the bearing, but I double checked it and looked fine. As far as I know the bearing could of came lose from the fork when we rotated the tranny into place. Not having the spline greased was my only concern but we were in a jam and the bearing looked lubed.
I don't know, I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest alternative to fix this fucking problem after spending $320 to get my car towed from Infineon raceway!!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
downshift_sideways
No Limit Soldier.

downshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfectiondownshift_sideways is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to downshift_sideways
^Stop calling me paul fags.

You know I hate it.

allntrlundrgrnd: "you never really appreciate your parents fridge until you look into your own and its full of condiments only"

downshift_sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by initial_drifter View Post
have you checked your slave cylinder?
Slave cylinder is fine.
I Honestly think we rushed through this tranny swap too fast....
In 5,1/2 hours we just did to many things to try to get the cars ready for infineon raceway, and some where something in the install went bad.
We did an ecu swap, changed motor oil in 2 cars, replaced a starter, and a bunch of misc things in the process.
I think it was just an old bearing and maybe it was having fitment issues being swapped over and reused.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
mystery_elmo

you should just bring it back here to our place, take that shit apart then figure out wat went wrong!! and FYI next time we go to infineon!! we have to do all car work b4 hand!! not 5 hours prior!! wtf do u think the home owner is gonna think? "y isnt the drywall up yet?!" remember critical path!!! lol FIRED!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
mystery_elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshift_sideways View Post
^Stop calling me paul fags.

You know I hate it.
PAUL ANTHONY THE PERV!!
PAULA ABDUL
PAUL BEARER
LOL
PAUL....
i dont play!
lol
Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery_elmo View Post
you should just bring it back here to our place, take that shit apart then figure out wat went wrong!! and FYI next time we go to infineon!! we have to do all car work b4 hand!! not 5 hours prior!! wtf do u think the home owner is gonna think? "y isnt the drywall up yet?!" remember critical path!!! lol FIRED!

Funny man....
I'm going to tow the car to my new house. Anyone that wants to help me take the damn thing apart beer and pizza on me next weekend. I'll even allow use of my garage and tools (that includes the welder) for 48hours next weekend.