Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
devonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to devonkyle77
question concerning z32 uprights

i am switching to z32 uprights on the rear of my s14, and as you know, that changes the mounting style of the lower portion of the coilover. i was wondering what size bolt you guys are using for that? if you could let me know i would greatly appreciate it!
thanks
-devon
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You know you have to change out the lower mount on your rear coilovers right? I think you should be able to use bolts from other places in your stock rear suspension. If you have the upright just take it with you to a hardware store and find a bolt that fits right in the stock bushing.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I used spare front LCA bolts. M12x1.25 IIRC, about 50mm long.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

devonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
You know you have to change out the lower mount on your rear coilovers right? I think you should be able to use bolts from other places in your stock rear suspension. If you have the upright just take it with you to a hardware store and find a bolt that fits right in the stock bushing.
i think i made that clear when i said
Quote:
Originally Posted by devonkyle77 View Post
i am switching to z32 uprights on the rear of my s14, and as you know, that changes the mounting style of the lower portion of the coilover.
atleast i think so
Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Jmpage

Trader Rating: (0)
Jmpage will become famous soon enoughJmpage will become famous soon enoughJmpage will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How did this work out for you?
Jmpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

i used m10 x 1.25 bolts, i believe 40mm long.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
I have some questions for you devonkyle77:

1) Are you using S14 rear lower control arms?

a) If so, are you using the Z32 conical inserts on the S14 ball joints?

p.s. To the best of my knowledge IIRC doesn't the S14 use a larger ball joint than the rear S13/Z32 rear ball joint which BTW are the same.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

1. yes
a.yes
ps.ball joint fit perfectly, it was a huge success.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, just found this info out:

The S13's rear ball joints are 38.05mm
The Z32's rear ball joints are 38.05mm

The S14's rear ball joints are 41.05mm

Thats cool, there's probably just a little less thread left to tighten down the nut when using the Z32 conical which must be used anways since the S14 ball joint is fatter to begin with.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

i believe there is validity to that, but the fact remains it worked and worked well!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonkyle77 View Post
i believe there is validity to that, but the fact remains it worked and worked well!
Thats good to know because I run J30 rear spindles and lower control arms which I believe the rear ball joints on those are the same as S14 and I wanted to convert to the Z32 spindles so it appears it works out I was just worried about the tapper maybe not accepting the conical insert but it appears it'll still work.