Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Silvette is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thumbs down This is what happens when you buy fake wheels (Varrstoen)

I'm not going to get into any arguments about "I buy fake wheels, because the real ones are too expensive" or any of that BS

This is to show that not only fake wheels/parts are made of poor quality and are dangerous but you also take away food from the hardworking companies that develop these parts with thousands invested into R&D. This is currently killing the JDM companies that were establish here, why fake the funk? Same as buying fake Jordan's

Anyways back to my original point;

The owner not only put BBS center caps on a fake Varrstoen copy. He went over a pot hole at 25 mph and this happened. A rim of high quality will not crack in half like this. Last I head he got a full set as replacement, but I would of rather got a refund or threaten to sue.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow, thats one of the worse I've seen. Its all around!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
wannabdr1ftr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
wannabdr1ftr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dang...that's worse than some Rota pics I have seen
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
Wow, thats one of the worse I've seen. Its all around!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabdr1ftr View Post
dang...that's worse than some Rota pics I have seen
1 piece became a 2 piece rim
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
how big was the pothole lol? i hit a huge pothole going 70 and I ended up with a slight bend (forged wheels though ). damn 25 is really slow and seems very unlikely that such a slow speed caused it. Proof of it being a Varrstoen and not, say, a Rota? Not that it matters, but still, something doesn't seem right, even for a 'knock-off', sounds impossible at 25 mph

xquizitditz
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post
how big was the pothole lol? i hit a huge pothole going 70 and I ended up with a slight bend (forged wheels though ). damn 25 is really slow and seems very unlikely that such a slow speed caused it. Proof of it being a Varrstoen and not, say, a Rota? Not that it matters, but still, something doesn't seem right, even for a 'knock-off', sounds impossible at 25 mph
words from the owner, i mean yea he could be going faster then 25. We'll never know but like you said at 70 yours was a bend, which is how it should be.

proof its Varrstoen because the original owner said so and he got a full replacement set from them
Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What a stupid fucking thread. How do you know he was going 25 mph? How do you know how big the pothole was?

Here is a picture of a broken Enkei RPF1. Does that mean that Enkeis suck? Does that mean that every RPF1 is going to split from the barrell?

No, because the wheel took a hard impact. Any wheel that takes a hard impact could break, bend, crack, etc. Posting up some picture that some dude posted on the internet with some story and automatically going after the "fake" wheels is so stupid. He could replace that street-driven wheel with a whole SET of "fake" wheels for the price of ONE "real" wheel that might have cracked/bent/broken under the same hard impact.

Yes, Im biased because I own a set of FAKE Rotas. I dont give a shit because theyre stupid cheap, fit great for 4 lug, and are virtually dispensable street wheels for the price. If I was building a crazy track car with an unlimited budget obviously they wouldnt be my first choice. But Im not.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Lol @ the fact that some people pay up to 1000 for some chinese wheels. If I wanted some chinese wheels, i'd get 'real' chinese wheels.

See what I did thar
Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
lol at buying fake wheels.
I paid 1k picked up for my work equip 05 18x8&18x9 +35 with almost new tires.
Granted I bought new outer lips brand from work and I'm getting different Tires, but I could have rocked those just fine if I had wanted to.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
i know a handfull of people who rock fake wheels all day. and that's in this town where the roads are potholes all over the place and the only rim ive ever seen crack was a oem nissan g35 wheel on a twin turbo z32
there's no way in hell 25mph did that to that wheel i dont care if he hit a wall and then a herd of buffalo let alone a pothole..
plus
when you have stiff ass suspension and tiny tires..
its YOUR job to avoid potholes ect..
a good enough hit and some luck will break any wheel fake or not
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
jandysil80
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the roughjandysil80 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
agree w/ whiterps13..... A buddy of mine had a OEM R33 FORGED rim break off and ended up looking like that RPF1, seen it first hand, and he wasnt even drifting, it was an HPDE.
Something doesnt add up.....no fuckin way thats gonna happen at 25 mph over a pothole
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
found it: Link to original thread:

Potholes. - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3)

xquizitditz
Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterps13 View Post
What a stupid fucking thread. How do you know he was going 25 mph? How do you know how big the pothole was?

Here is a picture of a broken Enkei RPF1. Does that mean that Enkeis suck? Does that mean that every RPF1 is going to split from the barrell?

No, because the wheel took a hard impact. Any wheel that takes a hard impact could break, bend, crack, etc. Posting up some picture that some dude posted on the internet with some story and automatically going after the "fake" wheels is so stupid. He could replace that street-driven wheel with a whole SET of "fake" wheels for the price of ONE "real" wheel that might have cracked/bent/broken under the same hard impact.

Yes, Im biased because I own a set of FAKE Rotas. I dont give a shit because theyre stupid cheap, fit great for 4 lug, and are virtually dispensable street wheels for the price. If I was building a crazy track car with an unlimited budget obviously they wouldnt be my first choice. But Im not.

Look here buddy im not here to get into an argument about your fake wheel. Fact is this picture was posted by a friend of mine who owns a well known blog. The owner of Varrstoen called said blog owner and tried to hush him. This post/thread is my own personal opinion and does not reflect the views of who I might potentially represent.

Here is a picture from a buddy of mine, who went over a pothole at 65 with a real Volk CE28

If Rota is all you can afford then good for you
Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post
yeap thanks, look the the original poster removed the image for obvious reasons
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
karma for trying to pass it off as authentic...jus sayin.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
lol agreed
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Edit nvm, pothole was hit @ 25 mph.
We don't know how bad the pothole was, or whether the OP of the bmw thread was being honest, but still.

I was driving and minding my business when I hit a small pot hole, and it turned out to be a bigger pot hole after my car drove over it. It went from a 4 inch wide pothole to a 2 foot wide one.. The ground underneath the pothole gave away and f*ck me over.

25 miles going up a hill in 4th gear.

But to each & their own, the fake wheels debate will never end.

Quote:
Yeah I feel he deserved it for that reason alone.
Dude has an e46 (m3?) so it's not like he's broke.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
the wheel on the yellow car looks more like what should have happened..
the cracking all the way around the barrel is pretty bad.
but then again.. you only see the horror story's like these..
you never hear about all the people who are smart enough to
1. at least look at the fake wheels and make a good choice and pick a "good" fake wheel (sounds dumb i know)
2. drive carefully
3. STOP DRIVING ON A WHEEL ON THE FIRST SIGN OF DAMAGE

i cant even tell you how many people with cracked rims i see just rockin them like its all good..

im not trying to defend fake wheels.. just saying they all arnt as bad as this one. and not everyone wants to spend money on real wheels. or has to wait untill a more logical time in the build process to afford them..
at the very least. if you know you have fake wheels.. avoid potholes and big bumps ect.. check your wheels now and then..
be proactive and smart and you will be fine 85% of the time

edit:
lol
this:

Quote:
^ dont ever try to make the fake look real.. i dont think it ever pays off in the end haha

double edit
this is a quote from the owner of that red bmw
"Spoke with the Company today, All three sales rep/managers were helpful and willing to help me. This company has been one of the best I've spoken too so far. Everything worked out better than I imagined and I'll be on the road again in a few days! Thanks to Richard from Varrstoen. I will still be a loyal customer to them. Up next Varrstoen ES 2.2.2.! woohoo.!"

just sayn.. would work or volk or bbs give you a new set of wheels because YOU cracked one?
not bad service for fake eh?
this is actually pretty impressive. when i think of fake i think ebay no support nameless seller type thing..

triple edit (im really bored this morning lol)
varrstoen has some pretty hot wheels lol i was checking out there website
and they're not super dirt cheap.. ~ $1000 new
idk if i would really call these fake, sure they are no work, volk, bbs ect..
but i would take these over a set of xxr's
is a nissan a fake car because its cheaper than a lambo?
why all the hate on this company... im sure they knew that dude wasn't going 25 and still gave him a $1000 set of wheels for free so they would look good
oh zilvia and your high horse
Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
nismolvr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
nismolvr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
s13

That shit is all over the web. Theres no way in hell that rim busted @ 25MPH! Sounds like some one was speeding busted their rim hitting a pothole, called rim company and changed their story . All of a sudden they were doing only 25MPH , GTFO! If that was the case , this company would never get off the ground with such bad product rep.There would be a huge list of complaints and broken wheels at low speeds , LOL. Owner is trying to pressure company into a getting a new set of wheels or worse , threatening with court action.

Manufactures / sales reps , fear this kind of consumer , of course they naturally want to keep this hush . The internet is full of misinformation and cases like this hurt sales.Theres alot here that doesnt add up. As a rim company I would give that Customer his new wheel and Im sure they will. Too bad , they all ready did more damage by bad mouthing their product over the WWWeb. That my 2 cents.
Im not pro knock off Wheels .Common sense says theres no way in hell that shit broke @25MPH.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #20
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post

25 miles going up a hill in 4th gear.
maybe its just me but this is what really doesnt make sense. he makes it seem like hes taking it sooooo easy, just barely moving at 25mph babying the car hits a pot hole and the wheel breaks. i know its a 6 speed but 4th gear at 25mph? uphill at that? thats like 1200 rpm bogging. as been stated im sure he was going much faster and hit something huge.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismolvr View Post
That shit is all over the web. Theres no way in hell that rim busted @ 25MPH! Sounds like some one was speeding busted their rim hitting a pothole, called rim company and changed their story . All of a sudden they were doing only 25MPH , GTFO! If that was the case , this company would never get off the ground with such bad product rep.There would be a huge list of complaints and broken wheels at low speeds , LOL. Owner is trying to pressure company into a getting a new set of wheels or worse , threatening with court action.

Manufactures / sales reps , fear this kind of consumer , of course they naturally want to keep this hush . The internet is full of misinformation and cases like this hurt sales.Theres alot here that doesnt add up. As a rim company I would give that Customer his new wheel and Im sure they will. Too bad , they all ready did more damage by bad mouthing their product over the WWWeb. That my 2 cents.
They are trying to cover this up as quick as possible. A new set of rims were already give to the owner. Hey, I mean if I owned a company that made $$$$ off of ripping someone's else hard work and sold it for more than half off. If this happened I would provide the best customer service possible and replace the rim.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #22
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
No zilvia and you high horses"

Good quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #23
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post
maybe its just me but this is what really doesnt make sense. he makes it seem like hes taking it sooooo easy, just barely moving at 25mph babying the car hits a pot hole and the wheel breaks. i know its a 6 speed but 4th gear at 25mph? uphill at that? thats like 1200 rpm bogging. as been stated im sure he was going much faster and hit something huge.
yea i mean it's fishy that he's going that slow, but regardless a well built rim will not break into two pieces like that
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #24
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvette View Post
yea i mean it's fishy that he's going that slow, but regardless a well built rim will not break into two pieces like that
also could of just been a bad wheel that got past "quality control", shit happens. ive seen plenty of good quality products, not just wheels, that are bad from the factory and just break.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Quote:
thats not true...somebody a couple pictures up just posted a picture of an rpf01. i also had a friend do almost the same thing with a work cr-kai.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #26
curbhuggerrps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
curbhuggerrps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to curbhuggerrps13
So said friend has fame rims on his e36. Tires that where probably too, went over a pot hole at 25 MPH. A speed that is used is residentials to Dodge pedestrians etc hit a pot hole with his fake wheels and you feel a thread was the best thing you can do about this situation?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
Silvette
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbhuggerrps13 View Post
So said friend has fame rims on his e36. Tires that where probably too, went over a pot hole at 25 MPH. A speed that is used is residentials to Dodge pedestrians etc hit a pot hole with his fake wheels and you feel a thread was the best thing you can do about this situation?
/reading

not a friend, the guy drives a e46 ... my thread has nothing to do with fixing his situation ...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #28
Redstar
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Redstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
At the end of the day unless your wheel is a solid diamond or something comparable in strength it could bend/crack/break if you hit something. I don't have "fake" wheels, and plenty of people I know with Works, Rays, etc. have had bends or cracks in the lips of their wheels from track days and whatnot. Granted I do think it's rather unusual that the entire lip sheared off, but there are too many variables that contribute to this to make the assumption that these types of wheels are completely unsafe to drive on.

Most people hate on them because they're reproductions of original designs from more reputable manufacturers rather than their strength. If they pass JWL and VIA safety tests, that's good enough for most people. I'm willing to bet that even some OE wheels are manufactured in the same facility as Varrstoen.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #29
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Look here buddy im not here to get into an argument about your fake wheel. Fact is this picture was posted by a friend of mine who owns a well known blog. The owner of Varrstoen called said blog owner and tried to hush him. This post/thread is my own personal opinion and does not reflect the views of who I might potentially represent.

Here is a picture from a buddy of mine, who went over a pothole at 65 with a real Volk CE28

If Rota is all you can afford then good for you
This is understandable, but the pic the OP posted about his friend and what not that's ridiculous the entire wheel came apart was it glued together or something? I have Motegi Touge's, which aren't the greatest, but I don't think they would fall in half like that that's ridiculous I'd get a refund and then some if something like that ever happened to any rim I own.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #30
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
My first trip out to buuttonwillow raceway an integra understeered off the track at over 100mph and slammed into the track. He had real volks ce28 iirc and he still held air in the tire after. Just a massive dent in the barrel.

Fact: real wheels are stronger than replicas

Fact: if you hit something stationary and solid like a curb, real or fake, your gonna replace your wheel.