Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
wileymotorsports

Trader Rating: (0)
wileymotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Sr20det Oil Catch Can Location

Ive been searching this and know it has been cover a 1000 times, but I cant seem to get the answer that I need. I found a picture of an sr20det with the catch can on the right of the car. I want to do the same with my car. You can clearly tell where one of the blue breather line goes and tee's into the PCV and then into the can, but where does the other blue line go too, maybe intake?? Since the PCV is tee'd into the other line and no longer into the intake is the red line just ran between the 2 intake ports? Any help would be awesome!

wileymotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
Banana_Cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Yeah the other line goes to the intake.

Simplicity is the key to brilliance
Banana_Cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
wileymotorsports

wileymotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point
ok great thanks! So I need to connect the line before the turbo and after the MAF right? I have the stock black seperater on right know and believe it has a line going to the crank, what would I connect the crank breather line to? Thank you
wileymotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
One to valve cover thee to intake before the maf. Simple search would yield you pictures.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace

Rear Block to OEM air seperator, to valve cover T from Valve cover t to catch can, from catch can to intake. OEM PCV setup on passenger side

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
So Cody you're still using the stock catch can?

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
The stock Oil Air Sperator (that bolts to the back of the head, driver side) yes. Also using a Greddy (any brand will work here obviously) on the front of the T.

That rear seperator is worth it's weight. It is common on FWD swapped stuff,but for some reason the 240 swap guys toss them...it's a nice add on as it allows the vapor/air to come up and through, and for the oil to remain in the crank case.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Awesome, thank you. I just found my new catch can setup

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
On the S13s guys ditch them. I had an S14 motorset and they never came with an oil/air separator. However, I believe that's due to the better designed valve cover. Even so I plan on running my catch can setup on my VVL valve cover too, which also has better baffling in the VC than the S13s did.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
On the S13s guys ditch them. I had an S14 motorset and they never came with an oil/air separator. However, I believe that's due to the better designed valve cover. Even so I plan on running my catch can setup on my VVL valve cover too, which also has better baffling in the VC than the S13s did.
For sure with that, the S14/S15/VVL all had it integrated in the valve cover itself. Good note as I often forget the post that.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
You want PCV under boost./?/!
! <----

Tie the valvecover to the turbocharger inlet, that is, before the turbo.
And, be aware there is a one-way check valve for the intake manfold->valvecover port.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Codyace have you ever oopend the GReddy catch can? I wanna know the design inside. Whether it's hollow, split, baffled, etc.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I think almost all of them are just hollow. I had a Greddy one, didnt seem like there was anything in it. You're better off making your own and stuff it with steel wool.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Thats what I did practically. Just bought a cheap can and stuffed steel wool in it.

I used 00 I think. Maybe finer. Hope its good haha
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Codyace have you ever oopend the GReddy catch can? I wanna know the design inside. Whether it's hollow, split, baffled, etc.
It's a big open can. 4 bolts on top, and 4 on bottom (allen heads) and just the visible 'catch' tube. I had considered putting some of the steel wool that many suggest, but I don't have any major/any oil film on the turbo inlet or outlet pipes so I can only assume that there isn't much from the get go.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

I thought so.

I never have any residue in mine either, I just like to be on the safe side with things haha.

Healthy engines ftw
Old 12-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #17
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A good catch can setup should have sludge in it, Not water, oil or gas. There's is something wrong if you can pour out your catch can. The greddy site tube and the inlet hose becomes an eye sore pretty quick with a properly working system. I have been contemplating switch hoses or sleeving for quite some time. Wait...maybe my shit's f'd up!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
sldwayz1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
sldwayz1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another duel catch can setup

Old 12-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #19
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I'll give you a couple of months before that blue hose fucking melts shut. Shits not exactly heat friendly.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
240knockout
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
240knockout is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
mouth to mouth resuscitation

back from the dead?

Just trying to follow the good advice posted here. My top mount turbo kit needs the space occupied by the stock can at the rear corner of the engine. Any one successfully relocate this elsewhere....or do I just ditch?

If I ditch....so I just run a line from the block up to the T on the valve cover....or do I route it to the Greddy catch can first?
240knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Ditch it. Tap a -10 fitting in the back of the valve cover and route a drain tube straight to the port in the block. Then get rid of the T. Cuz you will only be needing 1 line from there.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Is it me, or do all the "real" cars have shit welded to the valve cover

gota get me some weldable fitting so my car can be real too
Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/235851...-setup-11.html
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
240knockout
Zilvia Addict

Hey Mikester...I read that thread thoroughly yday.

Good stuff....but in the end I came away with the need for a S13.4 valvecover. Nissan messed up on the s13 valve cover and corrected it with the s14....an oem solution in my eyes is best.Thanks for your help guys.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^^You're welcome... I'm personally going for the drill & tig the fitting in the top rear... Cheaper, plus I don't have to get rid of my CF coilpack cover
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #26
codyace
Post Whore!

The easy way to avoid the S13.4 valve cover is to turn the external (gasp, OEM) oil/air seperator. Easier, cheaper, done.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

^^If it came in anodized blue or polished; I'd be all over it
Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
240knockout
Zilvia Addict

Define turn please
Old 09-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #29
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i understand many different designs of the catch can setup for s13 SR's but what about 1 with a vvl head? does the baffleing change how you would want to run the lines from the head?
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #30
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The concept remains the same, plumbing is slightly different. I added or should I say Mazworx added an extra port on my VVL VC for additional venting. Do a quick search for my build thread and you can see what was done with mine. The port on the backside of the VC(facing bulkhead) was welded shut.