Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #31
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
[QUOTE=xNCDUBx;3577590]will the GT2871r bolt right up on a bottom mountQUOTE]

Yes
Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #32
OneSicSilvia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
OneSicSilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel management, and cooling are your best friends. You should def spend time on head work. You can make over 400 whp on stock cams...It's been done a billion times. And depending on the shape of the motor you could prolly get away with it ona stock bottom end but I wouldnt push my luck if I were you . Just do some looking around, find someone with a similar set up that your lookin for then ask em questions!. In most case's people are pretty humble about that and will help you out with trouble shooting and all that crap.
OneSicSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #33
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNCDUBx View Post
will the GT2871r bolt right up on a bottom mount?
well, there are 2871s with different inlets and outlets... turbine...etc.. setups. If you'll notice the inlets/outlets, of the compressor, on the stock t25/t28 bolt onto the turbo. The stock t25 and t28s also have a 5 bolt flange exhaust side and a t2 flange to the exhaust manifold. If you want the 2871r to bolt right up with no modifications then you'll need to get a 2871 with that same turbo setup: 5bolt/t2 flanges and one where the inlet/outlets bolt on. Otherwise you'll have to custom the elbow or downpipe and your intake/intercooler piping. Look around for 2871 turbos, you'll know what I mean. They have the bolt on(for sr20), theres a vband flange style turbine, one where the compressor inlet would need a coupling, and more...If I was on a budget, I'd just get the one that bolts right up.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #34
xNCDUBx
Leaky Injector

xNCDUBx is an unknown quantity at this point
I have another good question. When i bought the car the guy said its a SR20det blacktop. Besides the color between the red or black on the SR20det. Is there a way to tell which one you have. The valve cover on mine has been painted. So im just wondering how you can tell the diff between the 2. Any info on this will also be helpful. Thanks
xNCDUBx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #35
R33E8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
R33E8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
pretty sure he's a very respected tuner/zilvia member. you're gonna need more than accusations.
Lol, I would show the entire email convo but this isn't the thread for that.. It would have been nearly impossible for my car to run with the map he sent me.. and he expected me to give him a datalog.. afaik, you can't send a datalog if the car doesn't run.. The only part that was somewhat usable was the timing map which he claimed he spent "hours" working on.. I couldn't even use it since he didn't send me a load scale compensated for boost and pretty much told me to make my own...

Quote:
I have another good question. When i bought the car the guy said its a SR20det blacktop. Besides the color between the red or black on the SR20det. Is there a way to tell which one you have. The valve cover on mine has been painted. So im just wondering how you can tell the diff between the 2. Any info on this will also be helpful. Thanks
I think the intake runners are different
R33E8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #36
greenman100
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
greenman100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
pretty sure he's a very respected tuner/zilvia member. you're gonna need more than accusations.
Fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshadows
I pride myself on my timing maps, they are practically works of art,

There's no timing change with regard to RPM. You end up running 27deg timing at 750RPM/0 psi, which is wayyyyy too much. You'll get knock pretty easily if you spend much time in those cells.

Lets move on to his fuel map:

When I got the map, it misfired terrible under boost. Coming into the image, I get on the throttle, plateauing at about 65% throttle. RPMs rise to 4800, and boost is about 7psi at this point. Unfortunately, the engine is running so rich (9.6:1) that it begins misfiring. Misfires show up as lean, which is why the AFR begins to increase as the Injector Duty Cycle holds steady. The engine holds this continuous misfire condition until I get off the gas a second later. Steve said it was because my injectors suck.

I had to trim out more than 30% of the fuel to get it right. Been great ever since, perfect AFRs.

On top of all that, Steve was more than a week late on his promise to have the map done. My gut feeling is that most of Zilvia doesn't know better - no one datalogs, most people don't own widebands, etc.

Remote tuning is a tricky, iterative process... Steve is probably a decent tuner on a physical dyno, but I am not impressed with his remote services.

Others on here have had bad experiences, too. He's far from the God of SR20s.
greenman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #37
greenman100
Zilvia Addict

oh, and this is what I ended up building my timing map with:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthr...ghlight=timing
Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #38
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman100 View Post
Fine.

There's no timing change with regard to RPM. You end up running 27deg timing at 750RPM/0 psi, which is wayyyyy too much. You'll get knock pretty easily if you spend much time in those cells.

Lets move on to his fuel map:

When I got the map, it misfired terrible under boost. Coming into the image, I get on the throttle, plateauing at about 65% throttle. RPMs rise to 4800, and boost is about 7psi at this point. Unfortunately, the engine is running so rich (9.6:1) that it begins misfiring. Misfires show up as lean, which is why the AFR begins to increase as the Injector Duty Cycle holds steady. The engine holds this continuous misfire condition until I get off the gas a second later. Steve said it was because my injectors suck.

I had to trim out more than 30% of the fuel to get it right. Been great ever since, perfect AFRs.

On top of all that, Steve was more than a week late on his promise to have the map done. My gut feeling is that most of Zilvia doesn't know better - no one datalogs, most people don't own widebands, etc.

Remote tuning is a tricky, iterative process... Steve is probably a decent tuner on a physical dyno, but I am not impressed with his remote services.

Others on here have had bad experiences, too. He's far from the God of SR20s.
thats a nice 'custom' timing map looks exactly like the one he sold me.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #39
greenman100
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
thats a nice 'custom' timing map looks exactly like the one he sold me.

LOL.

I'm telling you guys, this joker's not all he's cracked up to be.

I withheld my build specs so that someone can't come along with the same specs and copy the map, but I can guarantee less than 1% of all SR owners have my setup. (Displacement, cams, manifold, TB, etc)
Old 08-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #40
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R33E8 View Post
That's crazy.. It took steve at least 24hr's to reply to my emails even with the gold service.. the map he sent me has 0 chance of working with my setup.. The only time he replied quickly was when I asked for my money back and he refused.. steve shadows sucks.. don't use him..

Anyways to the OP, get a big turbo and some 1000cc injectors.. you'll make 400whp no problem with room for more if wanted.. and don't get steve shadows to tune your car lol..
i dont think 24 hrs is that long of a time to reply..especially for someone who runs a business of being on the road and visiting customers like he does..
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #41
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
Edited: moved thanks made

Last edited by 4-20sx; 08-08-2010 at 12:50 AM..
4-20sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #42
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Im not a mod but posting your dealing with Steve is not going to be helpful in this thread. Staying on topic and using, his review thread is a better for everyone. The people doing their research on his buisness aren't going to look here.

http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/16350...veshadows.html
Old 08-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #43
xNCDUBx
Leaky Injector

xNCDUBx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Im not a mod but posting your dealing with Steve is not going to be helpful in this thread. Staying on topic and using, his review thread is a better for everyone. The people doing their research on his buisness aren't going to look here.

http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/16350...veshadows.html
This is very true. I saw the post and at first i was like what is this. lol. I really do appreciate all the help everyone. With being new to SR's I feel like this is a pretty tight forum. I think also my motor is a VVT Blacktop also. If true What would be the best Cam size to go with? When i say i think on all of these questions its because the car is getting re painted and i have not even drove the car ever or even seen it in a week. So Im doing research and ordering parts while its getting a make over.
xNCDUBx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #44
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Have any of you guys tried to email me for the support?

I start witha base map and then you are supposed to send me logs so I can help you adjust the map?

+ You have to have basic knowledge of your EMS to use my service. If you don't know how to do the "LOCK TIMING" fucnction or change the axis of your EMS config it is going to be very hard for me to explain or teach you how to use your EMS

I am not here to TEACH you how to tune EFI or use an EMS

I am here to offer you a good starting place for your timing map and direction for you fuel map, for an extremely cheap rate, compared to the time I put into it.

MY basic diagnostic support IN PERSON is 100 dollars per hour. Mapping and back and forth over the web take a lot more of my time than that. If you actually follow my step by step instructions to the T you will have great results.

EFI and EMS tuning is not something you can pay 60-80 bucks for and magically have everything working right. There are thousands of things that can go wrong with the EMS, the build, even the sensor placement that I have no contorl over. You have to get this sh*t together first on your end before any of my advice, mapping or web support will help.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #45
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
PS

You will not KNOCK at 26 degrees with 0 rpms, in fact you wont knock with 40 degrees at 0 rpms, just look at any base map from a JDM Power FC

You have to have LOAD to cause any sort of Knock, base TIMING should be 20 degrees. at fire up, you can run higher though. If there is something that looks off to you, and you are a client of mind just contact me via web and I will get back to you within 12-24 hours.

Try seeing how long it takes for Jim Wolf or Enthalpy, or Haltech or AEM to get back to a detailed request
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #46
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
PS

You will not KNOCK at 26 degrees with 0 rpms, in fact you wont knock with 40 degrees at 0 rpms, just look at any base map from a JDM Power FC

You have to have LOAD to cause any sort of Knock, base TIMING should be 20 degrees. at fire up, you can run higher though. If there is something that looks off to you, and you are a client of mind just contact me via web and I will get back to you within 12-24 hours.

Try seeing how long it takes for Jim Wolf or Enthalpy, or Haltech or AEM to get back to a detailed request
yes, this is true, i emailed JWT before and got replys over a week later..
knocking on someone because they took 24 hrs to reply is rediculous imo.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #47
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
Have any of you guys tried to email me for the support?
i guess everyone who said they sent you datalogs for support and you never returned their email or calls are lying?
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #48
MandTPhotography
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
MandTPhotography is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
After i do some work im going to take it to National Speed i think in Wilmington NC. They have a nice set up and Ive heard good things about the dude that does the Tuning.
Did you happen to call me looking for a T70?

Anyways, I live in Wilmington NC and used to work at National Speed.

Go there anyways and ask about anything you want to know. I've seen quite a few SR's pull those numbers.

I've got a 2871r myself and with Cams/IM/Exhaust manifold and a basemap from steve shadows, I pulled 299whp with a boost leak. With more tuning and no leak it should be at like 330whp or so.

I'd say go with a 3076 or something if you are looking for more.

edit: Also, as I said, I have a basemap put together by steve shadows remotely, and my AFR's are nearly perfect and with really low knock.
MandTPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #49
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R33E8 View Post
That's crazy.. It took steve at least 24hr's to reply to my emails even with the gold service.. the map he sent me has 0 chance of working with my setup.. The only time he replied quickly was when I asked for my money back and he refused.. steve shadows sucks.. don't use him..

Anyways to the OP, get a big turbo and some 1000cc injectors.. you'll make 400whp no problem with room for more if wanted.. and don't get steve shadows to tune your car lol..
I highly doubt this.. Steve is a very highly respected member/tuner here on Zilvia. This is the first I've heard of any complaints and if for some reason your complaint or accusation is legit I'm sure he has a legit good reason for doing what he did. He wouldn't just scam someone or not treat someone disrepectfully. Rememeber you (speaking in general) are his customer and he is going to do his best to help you meet your needs and goals for your car for great customer service, not just blow you off. So before you go accusing pm him first and if nothing pm a mod if its really what you say it is.