Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #1981
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I wondered about that too- it does concern me for sure. I don't have any angle mods though... We'll see I guess!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #1982
ill.
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ill. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah you should be ok if you've got factory steering setup man!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #1983
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
awesome
thanks fellas

i'll look into that
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #1984
Backwoodsboy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Backwoodsboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so just read all 67 pages collecting info as im about to finish my sil80 track car and my new daily is a minty black 240sx originally from MI so i figured why not...i will be following a similar route although i will obviously have some different taste (and budget...lol), my G/F attends college at northwood in Midland just curious on your distance from there as i plan to make a trip up there for her birthday in late jan. and would like to see this beast in person even if its undergoing some operations.

as im sure youve heard a million times, awesome build, hoping to follow closely with my car so maybe it can compare someday...also i think it would be funny to chill with you and broadfield once my track car is done since they will be polar opposites as my track car is a bright yellow sil80 that im building up for next years season, not to be pretty but to stand out and be competitive...heres a video from an open house at my school (UNOH) no ebrake, no p.s., and the turbo was practically about to fall off.

nissan 240.3gp - YouTube

there are a ton of videos of it on youtube, its a small autocross course but i do my best trying to connect it and hold some angle but its all just track time and practice.
Backwoodsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1985
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
CSB

Msglength
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #1986
Backwoodsboy
Leaky Injector

yep, gonna get it published
Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #1987
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I've never understood coming into someone else's build thread and making a huge post about your own car. We're you raised to be that damn rude? This thread is about the OPs car, not yours. If you want to say he has inspired you, ok, but posting videos and writing paragraphs about your car should be done in YOUR BUILD THREAD.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #1988
jdm2191
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
jdm2191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFairlady View Post
no no no... yeah I have a solid Steering bushing there too..not much to tell though I did a bunch of stuff with it....I'm talking Solid RACK bushing.
Aaron swears by it.
YANACK Steering Rack Collar Set

when I order my BN fenders I'm getting These too.
Why Buy a Yanack one for $150 When you can Save $100 & buy a PBM one?
POWERED BY MAX:
Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #1989
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles1988 View Post
CSB
Does the fact that I had to go to Urban Dictionary to see what that meant make me old? Or does the fact that I'm old make me old? These are not trick questions by-the-way.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #1990
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Does the fact that I had to go to Urban Dictionary to see what that meant make me old? Or does the fact that I'm old make me old? These are not trick questions by-the-way.
We're not that old... are we? BTW... what's the link to that Urban Dictionary for CSB lol.

Keep up the good work Damon!! Take all the threadjacks as a sign of love... "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #1991
Backwoodsboy
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemilk00 View Post
I've never understood coming into someone else's build thread and making a huge post about your own car. We're you raised to be that damn rude? This thread is about the OPs car, not yours. If you want to say he has inspired you, ok, but posting videos and writing paragraphs about your car should be done in YOUR BUILD THREAD.
sorry 67 pages and your worried about adding more? atleast im not asking where he got his carpet from...lol...not that you asked it but several others have..calm down damon seems pretty chill so im not worried about offending him or angering him...and if you never understood while one posts a thread publicly to allow other to veiw and comment on his/her build including history or some form of relation to the OP..seems like you need to take a step back and reevaluate forums...no need to be so hostile

also damon how did you originally relocate the fuse boxes? i know you had a water issue but curious as id like to attempt a similar setup. i didnt see any pictures or of the like...sorry for any inconvenience btw..
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #1992
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodsboy View Post
sorry 67 pages and your worried about adding more? atleast im not asking where he got his carpet from...lol...not that you asked it but several others have..calm down damon seems pretty chill so im not worried about offending him or angering him...and if you never understood while one posts a thread publicly to allow other to veiw and comment on his/her build including history or some form of relation to the OP..seems like you need to take a step back and reevaluate forums...no need to be so hostile

also damon how did you originally relocate the fuse boxes? i know you had a water issue but curious as id like to attempt a similar setup. i didnt see any pictures or of the like...sorry for any inconvenience btw..
I went there but it's not worth it.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #1993
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodsboy View Post
Hey man- I dpon't have pics of it actually mounted, but here is the closest thing I found (from page 15):

I made a bracket out of some flat aluminum and mounted them in the front fender well. I would highly recommend not doing this though. I had major issues with dirt, water, and wires rubbing through on the metal in the engine bay and shorting out. It was a nightmare- looks much better, but not worth it for reliability's sake! Nothing is going to beat the OEM setup for reliability- it just doesn't look very cool.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #1994
chiboy002
Post Whore!

i have to replace my radiator support, thought i would do a relocation while im at it

took the loom out
looked at it

i have no idea how you have enough motivation to do it damon, enlighten me
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #1995
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I commend you on not settling and taking the time to do it right. Looking great so far. I definitely want o hear your impressions of the brakes once she is running again.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #1996
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
i have no idea how you have enough motivation to do it damon, enlighten me
lol, I don't know to be honest man. I guess it keeps me somewhat sane in the winter months. This is the point where I get really bummed that I took the car apart and wish I had left it alone though- happens about this time every winter, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I commend you on not settling and taking the time to do it right. Looking great so far. I definitely want o hear your impressions of the brakes once she is running again.
Thanks man, doing what I can haha. I'll for sure post up as much as I can about them when I am done. Should be interesting if nothing else!

I've been able to make some solid progress in the last few days, pretty much all thanks to my good pal and FD extraordinaire (lol) Mike. Mike came out on Friday night last week and we started on welding up all of the holes in the bay. We mostly focused on the small holes for the night and started to make larger pieces to fill all of the bigger holes. This was, for the most part, my first experience with any sort of welding or metal work- interesting to say the least.

Tomato suit is recommended for welding:

Here's how it sat after the first session of welding and grinding Friday night:

On Saturday I did some more grinding and started removing the seam sealer. I found a few areas of surface rust under the sealer in spots, so I am glad Mike told me to consider removing it. Hoping to get that all sorted out before paint:

The strut tower rust was too bad to leave the factory spot welded plate in place, so I ended up completely removing it and clearing all of the rust from underneath out and making a new one out of plate steel. I've still gotta grab a shot of the finished product welded in place:

Where I ended up on Saturday evening:

Last night we had another welding session and made some pretty significant progress. We welded up the openings for the engine harness, AC components, brake lines, fuse boxes/wiring, and welded in a new sheet of metal where the battery tray was. We ran out of wire before we could finish welding, so Mike will have to make one more trip out to help get it all squared away:

In the mean time, I have a lot of grinding to do. Then I'll need to do some research to find out what I need to use as far as filler/sanding materials and seam sealer. Can't wait to be done with the welding and really get this thing ready for paint! I will be so relieved when it is home with the bay all painted and ready for reassembly.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #1997
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Ahhh yes, I remember the days of grinding 60 F'ing welds. Unfortunately for me I did it when it was 90+ degrees and 90% humidity. Just hit me up when you want to talk about proper etch primer techniques, filler etc. Did you use weld-thru primer before you welded on the top rail plate?

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #1998
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

^ We did not- and I am a bit concerned about that. That might need to be redone- I was worried about leaving bare metal under there like that. I'll have to order some if I can't find any locally.

I'll for sure give you a shout soon- I'll need to know what to use for filler and primer for the whole bay, as well as how to go about sanding it in the coming weeks. I'll read your thread again for some advice in the mean time. Thanks man!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #1999
ill.
Zilvia Member

ill. is an unknown quantity at this point
Rad! Good work man!

What'd you use to get the seem sealer off in big bits? Scraper?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #2000
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Great progress Damon! When i shaved the bay on my CRX (yeah, i know.....) i used a product called Evercoat, which is a metal infused body filler, with good results..

I'm sure with Toby helping, you'll find the right products

Keep it up, provides the rest of us with motivation
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #2001
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
This is the type of work that separates the "good" from the "greats". And most of this will go unnoticed and unappreciated by most once it's finished. Great work so far!
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #2002
EazyS13
Zilvia Member

EazyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
nicely done
EazyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #2003
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Bay is looking good Damon
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #2004
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Appreciate all of the compliments guys- hopefully it looks really nice in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill. View Post
Rad! Good work man!

What'd you use to get the seem sealer off in big bits? Scraper?
Thanks man! And yeah, I did the seam sealer with a putty knife. Yours looks to be coming along really nicely as well! Great motivation for me, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Great progress Damon! When i shaved the bay on my CRX (yeah, i know.....) i used a product called Evercoat, which is a metal infused body filler, with good results..

I'm sure with Toby helping, you'll find the right products

Keep it up, provides the rest of us with motivation
haha thanks man, trying to stay motivated! And thanks for the recommendation on the Evercoat products- Toby said the same thing!

I ordered a couple hundred bucks worth of supplies from Summit yesterday- I'll be sure to post it all up when it arrives!

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #2005
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Post more pics of everything.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #2006
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
looking very nice Damon.... Keep up the great work.
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #2007
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
yo Waldo

Nice shirt.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #2008
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Just a tip of advice, if Toby hasn;t given it yet
weld on coating isn't a true primer so keep it on the areas under the plate where normal paint won't go
Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #2009
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

lol, thanks BH. Blog post incoming for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
Just a tip of advice, if Toby hasn;t given it yet
weld on coating isn't a true primer so keep it on the areas under the plate where normal paint won't go
Yeah, that's only for the area under the strut tower that needs to be welded on. I have self etching primer for other areas of the bay that will be used before the final primer and paint.

CamryOnBronze.com
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #2010
chiboy002
Post Whore!

cool
yeah last thing you need is to do all that and then the paint not adhere