Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
franklin93zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
SR Z32 swap.

(pretty much copied and pasted from my build thread on 300zxclub.com)

So I believe in late September early October of last year I blew the VG in my z and for about 2 or so years I really wanted to throw an SR into my Z I figured this was my time to do so. I really like how they sound and look. I know TT would give me more power, is a lot easier to do, etc etc. But I am not to much of a fan to work on them or how they sit in Z32 engine bays. I figured some may find interest in this and some may call me an idiot, but that is fine.

(I apologize in advance for the cell phone quality pictures)

The night my VG decided it was done with life and then the next door or so when I pulled it out.

I later on picked up a S14 SR and for shits and giggles just dropped it in to get an idea of how it's going to look. To me it looks very natural in the Z engine bay. I took the turbo off because the compressor housing had a good size crack in it.

Which is okay because I had picked up a S15 turbo and HKS actuator for it.

Thanks to Greg (I believe that was his name) over at Specialty Z for the divorced down pipe. It needs some modifying seeing as the angle is to harsh for the SR and I will be running a screamer pipe.

Picked up a S13 Koyo N-flow Radiator which fits right in to a z32 with no mods and allows me to now run the Kazama Power brace I've had laying around. Also got a Tomei FPR and Fuel Pressure gauge.

Got a 80mm Blitz Nur Spec to get a nice sound from this motor. Did a little mock up on how I want it to sit. Also got a HKS filter and found a second hand Blitz FMIC for a good price so I picked it up polished it/stenciled it.

(it's a little off centered and my dogs felt like lounging while I was about to talk the picture)

Bought some little under the hood goodies as well. A nice Tomei Oil Cap and Coil Pack cover.

Need cool gauges and what not so I got Blitz Racing Meter SD's for Boost and Oil Pressure. Here's how I will have them mounted. (not a fan of a-pillar mounting)

Did not want to use the small SR trans so I ordered a Mazworx adapter plate and sent the bellhousing to the machine shop.

And now I have all the everything packed inside the car so I can tow it over to my good friend Juans (Bardabe is his username on here) shop for all the fabrication. Mounts, exhaust, IC piping, powersteering, wiring etc.

Parts list in the hatch. Blitz Gauges, URAS hyper single clutch, Tomei Rocker Arm Stoppers, Blitz muffler, Blitz FMIC, Tomei FPR and fuel gauge, Specialty Z down pipe, Koyo Radiator, and Samco Silicone hoses.

I hope to keep this updated frequently and hope to see a good amount of interest out of it.

Seeing as this is a very recent thing I got done by "Bardabe" I figured I'll throw it in here. I had them extended 20mm and painted them gold and matched my tension rod brackets to them.

The main purpose to this whole build hahah
(Juan "Bardabe" found this clutch at a local importer and picked it up brought it back and pretty much made it mandatory to do the swap haha)
[IMG]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee417/Franklinz32/IMAG0323_zpsf3fdaf0a.jpg

Picked up these little things last week I believe. 7 layer exhaust manifold gasket, 5 bolt metal turbo gasket, valve cover, and Walboro 255.

Not really a big update. I just ran the wires for the gauges so once the harness is in an everything I can just wire them up and watch them light up and do cool stuff.

I ran them beside the floor vent down to where the ECU is.

Labeled them so I don't get them mixed up.

And no wires anywhere.

Final product. Made sure the Bezel sat flush.

Had a few little things come in the mail on Saturday.

Definitely wasn't necessary, but definitely was necessary.

Figured since the URAS clutch is unsprung this would be a good thing to upgrade.

Also resprayed and cleaned up the "Nissan twin cam blah blah blah". I think it can out really well for spray can.
franklin93zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Holy shit. I've never seen an SR Z32 before.

I love this so far. How much was that HKS oil filter?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
OrangeVirus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
interesting build, but why SR and not VGTT?

those HKS filters are like 20$
OrangeVirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVirus1 View Post
interesting build, but why SR and not VGTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin93zx View Post
I know TT would give me more power, is a lot easier to do, etc etc. But I am not to much of a fan to work on them or how they sit in Z32 engine bays. I figured some may find interest in this and some may call me an idiot, but that is fine.
Reading must not be your strongest suit.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
Reading must not be your strongest suit.
no it isn't, I didn't read it until after
Old 05-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
Cool build. Cant wait to see it done. I have been following the bitchfest on 3zc.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I approve of this build. VGDE's are great engines until you have to work on them. Taking some weight out of the front will be nice as well.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Etikoner
Leaky Injector

Etikoner is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always wanted to do this. Awesome that its finally coming to life, though I've probably seen one before. Subbed for this
Etikoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

We have movement!
Car finally left my garage to go to Bardabe's. Heading back over tomorrow morning to start the swap. Pretty stoked! Good way to spend a birthday.
[/URL]
Finally starting on the car.
First things first get car in the air.
[/URL]
Then we mounted the Trans Adapter and removed the lower and upped oil pan.
[/URL]
Bolted up the Trans.
[/URL]
Put them in the bay bolt the Tranny crossmember in so we can see where the oil pan/pick up was going to sit.
pg.html][/URL]
Taking measurements underneath to see whether or not to mod the crossmember or make an oil pan. Juan "Bardabe" decided it would be best to mod the crossmember and strengthen it.
[/URL]
Here is Juan cutting and welding some shit up.
[/URL]
and while he did that I went and started cleaning up stuff such as the steering rack and what not.
[/URL]
Wednesday was a rather productive day.
Started working on the car around 9am. Started with some little things.
Put in the Oil Pressure Sensor for the Blitz gauge.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
Loomed the gauge wires together.
[/URL]
Replace the stock injector screws with stainless steel bolts.
[/URL]
Had to mod the Samco hoses to fit. Just had to cut a little off of them and they fit like a glove.
[/URL]
[/URL]
We took a lunch break and headed to O'Reilly to pick up some motor mounts and a power steering cooler.
[/URL]
[/URL]
Then we got to the serious business. The Engine mounts and Crossmember.
Here's the mocking up of the crossmember. Seeing as we chopped up a good chunk of it we need to reinforce it.
[/URL]
Juan working on the mounts.
[/URL]
The mounting points for the crossmember.
[/URL]
[/URL]
And the finished crossmember.
[/URL]
[/URL]
All bolted in.
[/URL]
[/URL]
The final resting point of the SR. Very happy with how it sits and the progress we've made so far. We didn't go to sleep till about 2-3am but oh well.
[/URL]
[/URL]
Did a little bit of work on the car yesterday.
Mainly just sealing things up.
Put on the Tomei Rocker Arm stoppers and put on a new Valve Cover gasket.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
I took the temp sensor from my VG to put on the SR so my temp gauge will work properly. (VG sensor is on the left)
[/URL]
I also put on the Turbo inlet/outlet gaskets and the 7 layer exhaust manifold gasket but forgot to grab some pictures. I had to helicoil a plenum bolt because it was stripped from the previous owner, forgot to get pics of that as well ahaha
But here is the engine bay almost nearly complete. It looks very at home to me personally.
[/URL]
Got the Turbo Elbow and Screamer Pipe done Yesterday. Then got started on Downpipe/ exhaust.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
Should have it all finished up tomorrow or the next. Just waiting on a Flex Pipe and some Flanges to come in.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Now We are all caught up! Hope you guys are enjoying it so far!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
beems240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
beems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant futurebeems240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Awesome build. So what clutch do you run? I assume a z32 one? I've never seen the input shaft spline before so just curious. Ill need to do that when I grenade mine
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dont mean to intrude it's cool what you want to do i thought i should let you know a VG30DE NA2TT made 710hp on the bone stock bottom end for a little over a year.

if you blow a vg30dett/det you clearly do not know what you're doing/proper engine setup/tune.
S12 Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

You guys seriously need to read.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

S12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymoreS12 Drifter is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
You guys seriously need to read.
lets drop a B16 in a GT-R R35.... makes sense.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

when your done with the HKS oil filter send it my way want to make a youtube video taking it apart to see whats inside and the quality of materials.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S12 Drifter View Post
lets drop a B16 in a GT-R R35.... makes sense.
Dude, what the hell are you even talking about? My VG that had 267,xxx miles on it got starved of oil and started knocking so I pulled it out and am now putting in an SR because that's what I want to do. There is no reasoning besides the fact that I want an SR.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Dude, what the hell are you even talking about? My VG that had 267,xxx miles on it got starved of oil and started knocking so I pulled it out and am now putting in an SR because that's what I want to do. There is no reasoning besides the fact that I want an SR.
be logical it's your car do whatever you want but it's idiotic. the car weighs 3,100 pounds motor is suppose to push a car made for 2,500 pounds. you're going to be very disappointed by the performance is all.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
be logical it's your car do whatever you want but it's idiotic. the car weighs 3,100 pounds motor is suppose to push a car made for 2,500 pounds. you're going to be very disappointed by the performance is all.
OR I'll be very happy with it because it's what I've wanted to do in the first place. Seeing as I'm going from a N/A vg to this I'm sure I'll be happier with the results.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i love the way this car looks

and sr is very cool

cant wait to see it driving!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
fast250sx
Leaky Injector

fast250sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
And you are doing a wonderful job at installing your wants! Keep it up.
fast250sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
awesome man, props on the legit parts too!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #22
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Juan "Bardabe" got some work done today while I was running around Downtown LA for work related stuffs.

FMIC mounted!

Then came the piping

And here is the piping all welded up and ready to go in!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
CleanAndLegit
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
CleanAndLegit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
glad to see you started a build thread on here franklin! can't wait to go over again and check out more progress!, as for that guy you know the one whos blabbing his opinion he needs to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

keep up the good work guys!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #24
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looking great so far. Sub'd.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #25
rellik27
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
rellik27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Looking good not a fan of z32 but yours looks amazing lol. Keep up the good work.
rellik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
when your done with the HKS oil filter send it my way want to make a youtube video taking it apart to see whats inside and the quality of materials.
I'll personally deliver it and shove it up your ass for being a fuck tard. You need your oil filtered dipshit.

I've been wondering what happened to this car, thanks for being smart and ditching the shitty oem motor and getting something different in there, Edgar still hasn't learned his lesson.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
I'll personally deliver it and shove it up your ass for being a fuck tard. You need your oil filtered dipshit.

I've been wondering what happened to this car, thanks for being smart and ditching the shitty oem motor and getting something different in there, Edgar still hasn't learned his lesson.
haha yeah I'll second that notion, I'll be ditching my TT motor soon.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

hahahahaha thanks dude!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #29
OrangeVirus1
BANNED

Quote:

Why the hostility? he just wanted the filter after the dude was done with it, to see what materials were inside. it's not like it's some fucking uncommon thing.

No need to be a dick about it, Got something shoved up your ass huh?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #30
S12 Drifter
Zilvia Junkie

i want to know WHAT material is used royal purple use's a type of fiber-cotton, fram uses.... toilet paper, wix and champion labs use a very strong fiber.

(wix/CL = K&N royal purple, STP, mobil 1, Pennzoil, mahle, etc etc)

purolator is it's own company.