Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
smg944
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
smg944 is making a name for him/her selfsmg944 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
s14 sr20det ticking... somewhat different then other...

ok so i have had this ticking in my s14 sr for a long while now. it seems to be coming from the "nissan" writing on the valve cover. it has gotten no quieter or louder in nearly 2 years. but i dont drive it everyday so lets say 5-7k miles. the vtc works fine. yesterday i pulled off the valve cover to give it a 2nd look. i had pulled the cover off last summer and found nothing. well this time all i noticed was that the oil squirters for the cams were a little clogged but oil was still passing through all of them. so i cleaned them out good and re installed. i also checked the lifters again. me and a buddy tried pushing as hard as we could on them and they didnt move at all. so there should be no air in the lifters. i checked the cam tq. and they were all at about 8-9lbs. so at this point it is basicly ticking for no reason. i tell everyone its a diesel sr20 lol. anyway i would like to fix it eventually. i have just tried all that i can think of and it still ticks.

here is a vid to help you guys here the sound. click in high quality on the bottom right it sounds much clearer.

YouTube - s14 sr20det engine ticking.
smg944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
smg944
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
smg944 is making a name for him/her selfsmg944 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
YouTube - s14 sr20det engine ticking.
smg944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
djcobra
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
djcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her selfdjcobra is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm having a similar problem, I believe it's the rocker arms, most likely worn out. Mind you I have aggressive cams on my setup and i'll be changing my rocker arms hopefully next week. Let me guess its making that tap-tap-tap-tap sound eh? at first I thought it was lifters but when i took the valve cover off and pushed on the lifters they were solid, so my conclusion is the rocker arms. I'm also having that stupid VTC noise, so i'll be taking that crap out and probably put in adjustable cam gears or just S13 Bolt.

Steve.
djcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Just because the VTC works doesnt mean its not whats causing it to tick. Im willing to bet thats what it is...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote