Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
NoBrakes!

Trader Rating: (0)
NoBrakes! is a jewel in the roughNoBrakes! is a jewel in the roughNoBrakes! is a jewel in the roughNoBrakes! is a jewel in the roughNoBrakes! is a jewel in the roughNoBrakes! is a jewel in the roughNoBrakes! is a jewel in the roughNoBrakes! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB Rb20 s14 starts then dies STUMPED

Info on the car: 96 s14 originally manual non abs got as a roller with tubbed and painted engine bay. Because of this i had to relocate the underhood fuse box (put it in the arm reast) and battery (trunk). The only wires i messed with for the fuse box were extending the headlight wires around the driver side fender to the housings. All others were left alone and re plugged in.

Info on the swap: stock everything exept ls coils and act clutch. Main maintenance done on it oil water pump and all that. Wiring specialties pro harness with ls coil pack adapter oem ecu. O2 sensor unplugged because the previous connector melted together so i had to cut the wires to get the old harness off. Vss not hooked up and boost solenoid not hooked up either all of which i feel are unrelated.

Condition:car starts fine first crank but immediately dies after, wont even idle. Note im mostly working by myself so i couldnt open the trottle while starting or spray starter fluid in the intake due to the throttle cable needing to be swapped out.

At first the car wouldnt start at all. Did test found out it wasnt getting 12v to the starter signal wire so i jumped that relay and brought it to this situation. I dont know much about the under hood fuse box but the starter relay has two wires on the controll side one thats green and white that recieves 12v when in start and a small black and yellow on that doesnt seem to do anything. Tested the relay itself and its fine. I have no idea what this black and yellow wire goes to and why its not grounding to activate the starter relay. Which is what i think the cause of this situation is.

I jumped this relays controll side to get power to the starter signal when key is on start position but i think what ever section of the under hood fuse box isnt getting ground or power is also keeping it from idling when the key is in the on position. BUT!!! I checked all 3 grounds that this fuse box had and they are all connected and good. I also made sure the two large white wires on the back of the box were getting full 12v from the battery and they are. Am i leaving something un powered? I followed this black and yellow wire through the harnes to another relay under the dash where it had 2 black and yellow wires coming out the output. That relay tested fine too but after that i have no idea what comes before that

For shits and giggles i tested spark which it has and fuel which i believe it has. Pump primes and holds 40psi, unhooked the lines and it sprayed fuel into a bucket. I doubt its compression. Checked with maf unplugged and with it plugged in no change has a new k&n filter on it. Made sure i had no vaccume leaks or anything. Brand new battery like a week old ect.

Unless my fuel lines are hooked up wrong which i doubt but am open to it being a possibility i believe something isnt getting power or ground in the underhood fuse box. But i have nothing to compare it to again im doing all this by myself. If someone could tell me what gets a full 12v from the battery in this fuse box i feel like that might fix my problem.

side note the fuse box isnt in the casing anymore so i have easy access to the side terminals where there are 2 white and red wires on one terminal that i put to 12v. There is a black terminal that was cut before i got the car, tried to ground it and burnt the wire so i believe thats power but its not connected to anything at all. There is a terminal with a bolt that after i put 12v to it caused the windows and interior lights to work. And there is one white and red wire that goes under the fusebox seprate from the other 2. These are the only main connections i can see.

I feel like im rambling on but im truly stumped right now and im trying to get this thing running for a show in 10 days.