Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #2911
AsleepAltima
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
AsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura aboutAsleepAltima has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 180sxqc View Post

You can see the actual numbers at the end and you can also notice that these numbers are obtained from a dyno with rollers, which means rwhp...
you dont need to point out that the car is on rollers - the fact that the engine is in the car is proof that it is wheel hp and not brake. the engine would have to be out of the car to get its true flywheel rating.
AsleepAltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #2912
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
ForeignMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sx-mad View Post
I wasn't argueing, your the one getting strung up, I never said I had intake manifold or cams. I said stock head and all I'm pointing out in a polite way is that the power figures in this thread matches the flywheel figures here in the uk.

I posted a link for you to look through a library of power figures so you could see the difference for your self, I not saying uk is be all and end all of power figures I'm just trying to get an understanding of the conflict.

Mapping is the same everywhere 11.5 afr's and some good ignition timing so I can't see it being a map.

I'm merely also saying that there is a significant difference between the uk and us. I'm not slating you, your country or your website.
I know you said you didn't have cams, or intake. Read what I said again. I made it clear that with your numbers that were given you would be saying that an intake and cams only gives 20whp max...

There is really nothing to make a point about. If what you say is true then your dynos just read different in the UK. They read different among each other here as well. Let's just stop cluttering the thread with useless info.

I would like to see what your car traps in the 1/4 mile after cams and intake though. I'm willing to bet your 350-370whp is equivalent to a US 400whp. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.
ForeignMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #2913
Sx-mad

Trader Rating: (0)
Sx-mad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok I get that your cars are on a dyno and you measure whp, I never said I didn't understand that. What I don't understand is why your wheel powers are averaging the same as our flywheel figures.

Like I said in my last post going by that video of codyace's car they are definatly running it in 3rd where as we do runs in 4th. Maybe the difference is that 3rd gear has slot more power and torque than 4th I would imagine.
Sx-mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #2914
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Doesn't really explain the differences.

What gear do you guys run in as this could be the answer as we run 4th as that is usually close to 1:1 between gearbox and engine making it easier for the dyno to calculate fwhp.

Think you guys must run in 3rd thus letting your gear ratio aid power figures.
No, once again. Our tuners are every bit as capable as yours and they know what gear to run as well...

The reason you are getting under my skin is because you keep talking in a condescending manner as if us Americans are in the wrong because we don't do it like you.

We don't tune cars on a chassis dyno for the sake of calculating bhp...
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #2915
Sx-mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignMuscle View Post
I know you said you didn't have cams, or intake. Read what I said again. I made it clear that with your numbers that were given you would be saying that an intake and cams only gives 20whp max...

There is really nothing to make a point about. If what you say is true then your dynos just read different in the UK. They read different among each other here as well. Let's just stop cluttering the thread with useless info.

I would like to see what your car traps in the 1/4 mile after cams and intake though. I'm willing to bet your 350-370whp is equivalent to a US 400whp. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Totally Agree lol

I ran a ca18det before with (supposedly) 277fwhp which I think was around 240whp. It got 109mph with a time of 13.53secs
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #2916
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Damn, that's not a bad time at all for that power I would think.

When will your car be done??
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #2917
Sx-mad

Quote:
No, once again. Our tuners are every bit as capable as yours and they know what gear to run as well...

The reason you are getting under my skin is because you keep talking in a condescending manner as if us Americans are in the wrong because we don't do it like you.

We don't tune cars on a chassis dyno for the sake of calculating bhp...
Not at all I just ment that if you run 3rd gear it will give you more power I didn't mean that ours is right, like I've said already I'm just interested to find out the reason there is such a difference.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #2918
Sx-mad

Quote:
Damn, that's not a bad time at all for that power I would think.

When will your car be done??
My car has been running for 3yrs just never took her to the strip as I do drifting mostly. I have poncams to fit and an .86 housing but I don't think the cams will make much difference. I think ill gain up to 20hp from the .86 housing but will loose the midrange torque that the .64 puts out.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #2919
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Yes I think we could get 370-380whp here but it would have to be the best spec engine and 1.7+bar

What was your spec and what was your wheel power?
gt2871r.64 56trim, with gt3071 50ar compressor housing.
850cc inj, Z32 mafs , Nistune, Stock Block, 256in,264ex and 4.36final

quarter times: 11.51 @123mph summer tires
405whp 357ftlbs dynojet 4th gear
396whp 351ftlbs mustang 4th gear

I admit the flywheel number from that site you posted, do resemble our rear wheel output. The trap speeds and times seem way off though. I ran a 13.2 @ 103mph with a stock t25 putting down 246whp 224ftlbs This was in an s13 full interior no spare.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #2920
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Hell yea. There it is. Nice numbers Cotbu and a damn nice time down the 1320 as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #2921
Sx-mad

It's funny as if anyone wants over 400fwhp here they go out and buy gt3071's lol

Cotbu if you look further up I did a similar time as you with a ca18det running 240whp.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #2922
Sx-mad

Here's a couple of pics of my baby

Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #2923
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
pics no workie
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #2924
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
pics no workie
werks fur me...
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #2925
ForeignMuscle
Zilvia Addict

Nice looking ride. I like the larger than average hot side plumbing.

What is in the top left corner of the bay behind the shock tower? Looks like a spot light lol
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #2926
Sx-mad

Quote:
Nice looking ride. I like the larger than average hot side plumbing.

What is in the top left corner of the bay behind the shock tower? Looks like a spot light lol
It's an alarm lol
Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #2927
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Anyone have imput on how the RS3871 compares?
We had one on the old dyno and IIRC it made 310-320 whp with a MicroTech (I believe that was the name) at 18 psi. I didn't get much info out of it other than it was just a quick turbo swap to see how it worked.

With that said, It's hard to give my true opinion on it as IIRC that car wasn't tuned by the owner to 100%, and unsure what cams were in it. I think it would be a solid 340-350whp capable turbo though at 20 psi. With that said I'm sunsure how reliable it will be there either.

Quote:
As you said a trap speed is hard to deny. It takes XXX HP to push a YYYY weight car, to a certain speed, in 1320 ft.

FWIW though, my car went 11.6 at 120 (1.88 60' yuck). 4.6 final drive, so it crosses the traps just shy of redline in 4th. Car weighed 2800 lbs. I don't ever drag race it as it's not really setup for drag racing with the suspension (stiff, full rollbars, lotsa caster/camber).

I know with a good driver, and suspsneion swap, that the car would probably cut a 1.50/1.60 go a super low 11 with a nice launch. Can't beat that for a street car. Put my combo in an S13 and I see no reason why it wouldn't be a high ten second car.

Quote:
Like I said in my last post going by that video of codyace's car they are definatly running it in 3rd where as we do runs in 4th. Maybe the difference is that 3rd gear has slot more power and torque than 4th I would imagine.
I ran my car in 4th gear, and have always run it in 4th gear. With that said though, we haved dyno'd some cars in 3rd without any major change in the numbers. Some automatic cars are funny as you just stay in it, and it just keeps making the same peak in 2-3-4 gear.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #2928
Sx-mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
We had one on the old dyno and IIRC it made 310-320 whp with a MicroTech (I believe that was the name) at 18 psi. I didn't get much info out of it other than it was just a quick turbo swap to see how it worked.

With that said, It's hard to give my true opinion on it as IIRC that car wasn't tuned by the owner to 100%, and unsure what cams were in it. I think it would be a solid 340-350whp capable turbo though at 20 psi. With that said I'm sunsure how reliable it will be there either.

As you said a trap speed is hard to deny. It takes XXX HP to push a YYYY weight car, to a certain speed, in 1320 ft.

FWIW though, my car went 11.6 at 120 (1.88 60' yuck). 4.6 final drive, so it crosses the traps just shy of redline in 4th. Car weighed 2800 lbs. I don't ever drag race it as it's not really setup for drag racing with the suspension (stiff, full rollbars, lotsa caster/camber).

I know with a good driver, and suspsneion swap, that the car would probably cut a 1.50/1.60 go a super low 11 with a nice launch. Can't beat that for a street car. Put my combo in an S13 and I see no reason why it wouldn't be a high ten second car.

I ran my car in 4th gear, and have always run it in 4th gear. With that said though, we haved dyno'd some cars in 3rd without any major change in the numbers. Some automatic cars are funny as you just stay in it, and it just keeps making the same peak in 2-3-4 gear.

Lol fair enough, must be a resistance thing as even in a 750hp skyline I video'd here it doesn't get to the redline as quick as yours. But like I've said our dyno's are designed to give a calculation of flywheel power, think the dyno measures the rundown to calculate it.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #2929
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Lol fair enough, must be a resistance thing as even in a 750hp skyline I video'd here it doesn't get to the redline as quick as yours. But like I've said our dyno's are designed to give a calculation of flywheel power, think the dyno measures the rundown to calculate it.
Also gotta consider the cams, and turbo size. a 750whp Skyline isn't going to be as responsive as a strung out T2 on a 2.0 liter.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #2930
Sx-mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Also gotta consider the cams, and turbo size. a 750whp Skyline isn't going to be as responsive as a strung out T2 on a 2.0 liter.
Na definatly takes longer even with my car on, seams like forever lol
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #2931
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Going in for a tune on aem ems on Monday. I'm on a gt2876, but I'll post results here anyway.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #2932
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Going in for a tune on aem ems on Monday. I'm on a gt2876, but I'll post results here anyway.
What's the verdict? I already know this turbos potential, but some may still be on the fence about it.

450hp easy, light switch power, not my choice for a stock bottom end.
full boost 3850rpm, held at 2000rpm and only revved to 6500rpm.
And 2hrs + just trying to stop creep, which never happened. IIRC.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #2933
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
What's the verdict? I already know this turbos potential, but some may still be on the fence about it.

450hp easy, light switch power, not my choice for a stock bottom end.
full boost 3850rpm, held at 2000rpm and only revved to 6500rpm.
And 2hrs + just trying to stop creep, which never happened. IIRC.
I think they got the wiring done today, using a KA ems on the SR. I'll post up when all said and done. I told him to shoot for 400, but I might be limited by the stock intake mani.

I like the turbo, some say it's laggy but was doing 20psi about 4200. I drift it so just staying in high revs makes it really nice.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #2934
dopplganger1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
dopplganger1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So I have been looking into the GTX286*7 & 3 and wasn't sure which I should go with I want to be making 400hp at least, I would like to be able to make that on pump gas but will be having multiple tunes because I will be running E85 (the two tunes is for incase of emergencies) so my question is what turbo would better suit me? so anyone's opinion is greatly appreciated

fresh rebuilt engine
stock bottom end.
cams undecided but thinking HKS step 2 264 I&E (open to opinions)
upgraded valve springs
1000cc injectors (due to E85) I think thats the right size
PBM HMIC
greddy intake manifold
era1 throttle body
pfc d-jetro
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
dopplganger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #2935
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
PBM HMIC won't cool that properly.
IIRC there only rated to 300whp.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #2936
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^^Are you using the stock sr exhaust manifold?
We have almost the same engine mods going on...I also have era1 TB, Pbm hmic, greddy (style) intake, stock bottom end, poncam, aem Ems, and doc manifold. I would like to make around 400, but very unlikely with my gt28rs(maxes out around 18lbs). Hope I can get it all ready to tune by the end of the month.
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #2937
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
PBM HMIC won't cool that properly.
IIRC there only rated to 300whp.
Dan said people have made over 400 with them. I was worried about that too so I emailed him
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #2938
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
Dan said people have made over 400 with them. I was worried about that too so I emailed him
Pre and Post Core Air Temps are not ideal from the posts I have seen.

Regardless of the discussion over it's location and airflow across it. The size of the core presents limits.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #2939
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
Dan is a sales guy that wants to sell you shit.

"People" want to brag and talk shit up so they don't look dumb for wasting $400.

The next question you should ask is that 400hp fly, dyno or mustang? Or are these "people" just guessing cause it's "crazy fast yo".
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #2940
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I was set on the PBM HMIC until I started doing homework.. It looks like an ideal concept, but it seems to limit airflow to rad :/

Zach, once your cars running youll have to give us an extended review

I will proabably purchase ebay/cxracing fmic kit, flip it upside down w/ custom brackets so it sits nice and high (ive already destryord one and dented another with the shit brackets they include), then jimmy up the piping for shortest possible length.

Best of both worlds imo.. cost efficent, stupid massive core, nice position, and low pipe length

like this kindof (except outside the core support)

Thoughts?
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote