Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #481
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
The Z will actually be a weekend track/fun car so geared more towards track and driven on the street. I'm just having trouble finding out if they are worth it. And the no top plates is also pretty annoying and adds even more to the cost.
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #482
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
The Z will actually be a weekend track/fun car so geared more towards track and driven on the street. I'm just having trouble finding out if they are worth it. And the no top plates is also pretty annoying and adds even more to the cost.
Look up Ztuner on FB or his website and contact him about it. He has KWs on his Z and he's strictly a Z tuner, if you didn't take that away from his website name. Harry is a good honest guy and wouldn't lead you astray.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #483
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Thanks! Love the build btw
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 AM   #484
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Wow man, great numbers! A long time coming - I bet you're pumped to have that bad boy running.

Quick question, I can't remember, are you running an EBC? MY 20G was always really laggy without one. I would try that before swapping cams or looking into turbine housings. There is no comparison to running off mechanical boost regulation.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #485
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
^^ His ECU controls boost.

And no EBC is going to overcome physics.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #486
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks s14unimog! It was a long time coming and the car is extremely fun to drive. As Ralliart said, EBC is controlled via ECU.

Some things need to change, but we are going to approach it one thing at a time. No sense in just throwing things at it and not knowing exactly what the best solution was. I'm hoping in another month or so to come back here with a different dyno graph with increased response. I'm not really looking to make more peak power on pump gas, but 500rpms decrease in spool time would be nice, however it might be a far cry.

I may throw a race fuel tune at it too. I'd be interested to see what this setup can do with a better knock resistant fuel in it.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #487
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
^^ His ECU controls boost. And no EBC is going to overcome physics.
Although I agree with your statement, I will tell you that in regards to fast turbo response, an EBC is an absolute requirement. A mechanical spring inside an actuator will begin to lift and bleed boost as it gets close to it's spring rate where as an electronic solenoid interruption can do an instantaneous dump and hold the wastegate in a completely closed state until. Not to mention a solenoid controlled by electronic pressure sensing is WAY faster/accurate at controlling overboosting, so you can approach the set pressure without overshooting and dumping turbine pressure to correct.

I've played with various types of mechanical boost regulation over the years and I can tell you that what I say is fact. Trust me when I say, this is not an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Thanks s14unimog! It was a long time coming and the car is extremely fun to drive. As Ralliart said, EBC is controlled via ECU.

Some things need to change, but we are going to approach it one thing at a time. No sense in just throwing things at it and not knowing exactly what the best solution was. I'm hoping in another month or so to come back here with a different dyno graph with increased response. I'm not really looking to make more peak power on pump gas, but 500rpms decrease in spool time would be nice, however it might be a far cry.

I may throw a race fuel tune at it too. I'd be interested to see what this setup can do with a better knock resistant fuel in it.
Awesome! I know it's a large turbo, and where it's hitting is actually really good. I was just double checking. Yeah, I'm sure you could hit some big numbers on that setup!

Love your work!

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #488
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
I've played with various types of mechanical boost regulation over the years and I can tell you that what I say is fact. Trust me when I say, this is not an

Love your work!
This intruiges me, never put much thought into it being that I am a simple man...and never chased the 'ultimate in power and response'

Side note, its cool to see you posting again S14Unimog it has been a while...this place sucks now

Edit: Jetskis look rad too. I follow you as 'tw0nn'
Old 07-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #489
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
s14unimog, you are missing my point.

- The turbo he has is a terrible mismatch of wheel sizes between the turbine and compressor and reduces turbo efficiency in the spool regions (physics)

- The 0.84 Open Scroll T3 housing allows to run more boost up top at the inherent sacrifice of spoolup (physics)

- The engagement point from low to "high" cams (which on the VVL the intake and exhaust cams switch point can be adjusted independently) is VERY important to spool regions (physics)

My point is, I do not think a simple EBC (which the ECU is much faster at opening the solenoid compared to any aftermarket stand alone closed loop EBC), which mind you, is going backwards in terms of EBC, is going to fix the inherent "issues" (and I use the term lightly as this is referring to spoolup and not an setup issue) the setup has with spooling so late in the RPM range.

Again, my point is PHYSICS
Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #490
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
This intruiges me, never put much thought into it being that I am a simple man...and never chased the 'ultimate in power and response'. Side note, its cool to see you posting again S14Unimog it has been a while...this place sucks now
Edit: Jetskis look rad too. I follow you as 'tw0nn'
Own a 20G SR20 and that'll put you on the chase; lol. Yeah I don't post much on here anymore - Obeewon is complaining about the reason as we speak. The crowd has..... I'll say, changed a bit. I kind of just do my own thing and occasionally check up on those who were doing it right.

Quote:
s14unimog, you are missing my point.

Calm down professor. I'm not argue with you on any of those points. I'm just telling my boy jr_ss that he's got a rad build and I'm stoked his car is up and running. Despite all of the points you're after, an EBC helps across the board - believe me or not I don't care. Let's not foul up his thread with this useless debate.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #491
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Hey jr_ss, how is the noise with the 044 in the trunk? I have a fully interiored car like yours and have been pondering moving my 044s (parallel) from under the car to the trunk as long as the sound isn't deafening. Thanks
JSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #492
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Own a 20G SR20 and that'll put you on the chase; lol. Yeah I don't post much on here anymore - Obeewon is complaining about the reason as we speak. The crowd has..... I'll say, changed a bit. I kind of just do my own thing and occasionally check up on those who were doing it right. I'm just telling my boy jr_ss that he's got a rad build and I'm stoked his car is up and running.
The crowd has absolutely changed and I wish I could say it is for the best. Everyone associates these cars with drifting and while there are a large amount of S-chassis in the drifting scene, that's not the only thing they are worth having for. I appreciate the kind words. It's been a long road to getting the car to this point. However, I'll be pressing forward with the changes with the constant progression of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimpson View Post
Hey jr_ss, how is the noise with the 044 in the trunk? I have a fully interiored car like yours and have been pondering moving my 044s (parallel) from under the car to the trunk as long as the sound isn't deafening. Thanks
I'll get some in car video tomorrow for you. I don't think it's loud and it's easily covered by the radio. I honestly anticipated it being louder than it is.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #493
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Wicked, thanks!
JSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #494
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Own a 20G SR20 and that'll put you on the chase; lol.

+1

Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #495
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Can't wait to finish my 20g setup. Hopefully its not too laggy with S4 cams.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #496
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Can't wait to finish my 20g setup. Hopefully its not too laggy with S4 cams.
I don't want the thread jack Glenn's post but if you dyno the car with a 20g and those cams I would like to see the graph to compare to a 20g with 256/260 cams.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #497
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Yeah it will be dyno'd after it's all put together and finished. It's a greddy td06h-20g 8cm three bolt on an old Trust mid-mount manifold modified for lhd. Motor isn't crazy built just s4 cams, bc springs retainers, 86.5 cp pistons. Will be on aem V2. I'm only hoping for extremely reliable 350hp or maybe 400, but I don't see that happening on 91 pump.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #498
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I don't want the thread jack Glenn's post but if you dyno the car with a 20g and those cams I would like to see the graph to compare to a 20g with 256/260 cams.
No worries Tom. I like a good discussion, you know this. It would probably serve the 20G thread better though.

Quote:
Yeah it will be dyno'd after it's all put together and finished. It's a greddy td06h-20g 8cm three bolt on an old Trust mid-mount manifold modified for lhd. Motor isn't crazy built just s4 cams, bc springs retainers, 86.5 cp pistons. Will be on aem V2. I'm only hoping for extremely reliable 350hp or maybe 400, but I don't see that happening on 91 pump.
You're goin to be very limited on 91, although high 300's wouldn't surprise me. I think Tom made mid 4's on the last motor, but he's running Meth injection to supplement his fuel system.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #499
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

That's what I've come to realize. Although a reliable 350 at the wheels will make me happy, since I'm pairing it with a cd009 and it's going to haul ass regardless.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #500
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
That's what I've come to realize. Although a reliable 350 at the wheels will make me happy, since I'm pairing it with a cd009 and it's going to haul ass regardless.
Agreed. My car is stupid fast and I can't even use 2nd gear on the street. 65-100 takes seconds. I'm heading back to the strip this weekend. We'll see if I can get an 11sec pass.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #501
Face Man

Trader Rating: (3)
Face Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is a nasty build bro. You should be very proud of your skills. Hopefully some of the new crowd on here will learn from you and strive to bring there cars to your leval. I have been following this thread for a long time. Its nice to see it complete and being enjoyed. Its also reaparked the fire in me to get off my ass and complete my ve build kouki build. Thanks for the motivation bro. Whats your opion on the oil pump situation with these heads? Before you answer though let me throw my idea out here and get your honest opinion. My plan is to use a det pump and cut it at second horizontal rib down from the head mating surface. The take a de pump from the the same spot and tig weld them together. That would eliminate the need for alot of extra parts. For and oil pump that in my opinion isnt a necessary. Please give me your honest opinion.
Face Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #502
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Thanks for the compliments. I could only hope that my little build could inspire others to spend the time and dedication required to do a build. The car still has a long way to go, but it's a labor of love, not just a phase most of these kids are going through.

My honest opinion, use the VE oil pump. It is much larger than the DET pump and that extra oil volume is needed when the cams switch over and for the higher RPMs you'll be turning. Don't cut corners, it'll bite you in the ass in the long run.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #503
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
+1 for ve oil pump. It takes a lot of pressure and volume to engage the second set of cam lobes. The only way I'd use a non-ve pump is if you were using vvl killer cams.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #504
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
candyred_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
you're not the first person i've read who had issues with a mazworx manifold cracking
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...=520202&st=210

http://www.freshalloy.com/showthread...-Project/page6

http://nissanroadracing.com/archive/...hp/t-5350.html

i'm looking into one of these manifolds and hopefully it won't have the same issues

http://prlmotorsports.com/billetinta...x#.VZgbNRNVikp'
My mazworx ve intake manifold cracked also after very little hours on it. Mazworx agreed to send me a new one hopefully this one holds up. Definitely going to try and brace it better.
candyred_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:51 AM   #505
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyred_240sx View Post
My mazworx ve intake manifold cracked also after very little hours on it. Mazworx agreed to send me a new one hopefully this one holds up. Definitely going to try and brace it better.
Post pix plz! Did it crack at the welds?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #506
whitey240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
whitey240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
you're not the first person i've read who had issues with a mazworx manifold cracking
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...=520202&st=210

http://www.freshalloy.com/showthread...-Project/page6

http://nissanroadracing.com/archive/...hp/t-5350.html

i'm looking into one of these manifolds and hopefully it won't have the same issues

http://prlmotorsports.com/billetinta...x#.VZgbNRNVikp'
I would definitely go with the PRL IM over the Mazworx one. Since the same guy made both, I would consider the PRL IM version 2.0.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #507
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Has anybody tried using a vvl oil pump with the normal det head? Not sure if the top two bolts to the head line up or not.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #508
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Has anybody tried using a vvl oil pump with the normal det head? Not sure if the top two bolts to the head line up or not.
I would think that that two holes would line up on the S13 head, but not on the S14/15 head.

Speaking of oil pumps. Check out this pressure I observed on my Defi peak recording....

Insanely high... I'm thinking this occurred/occurs when the engine oil isn't up to temp completely. I'm running Brad Penn 15w-40.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #509
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Also, the 15W-40 is a slightly heavier oil as well, which will surely ass to pressure spikes!

And looking at the gauge, it is OVER 140PSI! I think I see 80-90 psi @ 7,000 RPM in my DET. That pressure is insane! Do you think this may develop into an issue with certain oils seals is such high oil pressure is sustained??.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #510
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Also, the 15W-40 is a slightly heavier oil as well, which will surely ass to pressure spikes!

And looking at the gauge, it is OVER 140PSI! I think I see 80-90 psi @ 7,000 RPM in my DET. That pressure is insane! Do you think this may develop into an issue with certain oils seals is such high oil pressure is sustained??.
I know the 15w-40 will add to an increase in oil pressure, but here in Fl it's generally hot and humid all the time, so I considered it some added security. Perhaps dropping to a 10w-30 could be an experiment to see what pressures the oiling system generates.

Like I said, I really do believe it's a pre-warm condition. I don't beat on it or boost it until the motor is good and hot. At cruise in 4th gear at 2500rpms tonight I was seeing 60psi. Dropped it to third gear and kept the speed and it jumped to 70psi. I do see it climb over 100psi regularly, but never that high once warm. I'll watch it the next time I do a 3rd gear pull once at operating temp to see what it peaks at.

As for seals, the only one I can really see going is the Turbo oil seal. I do have the recommended restrictor installed but, at those pressures, it has to be seeing more than what the restrictor can regulate. What other seals could possibly be compromised by such high oil pressure? I wonder what pressure the oil pressure unloader valve is set to pop off at.