Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #451
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You haven't talked to someone that has been running it for very long then.

Ethanol is extremely corrosive, and as such, wreaks havoc on major fuel system components. Unless you are ready to change every single piece of the fuel delivery system from cell to injector o-rings, you will experience parts failures that could potentially lead to engine failure due to lean condition.

I'm not saying it isn't a decent race fuel. I'm not saying it doesn't make good power and show remarkable qualities. I am saying As a major petro-based, commuter fuel substitute it's absolutely moronic, but thats another discussion for another thread. I'm also saying that it will cause problems and headaches not found when using traditional race fuels.
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #452
1cleanS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyotherone View Post

Ethanol is extremely corrosive, and as such, wreaks havoc on major fuel system components. Unless you are ready to change every single piece of the fuel delivery system from cell to injector o-rings, you will experience parts failures that could potentially lead to engine failure due to lean condition.

I'm not saying it isn't a decent race fuel. I'm not saying it doesn't make good power and show remarkable qualities. I am saying As a major petro-based, commuter fuel substitute it's absolutely moronic, but thats another discussion for another thread. I'm also saying that it will cause problems and headaches not found when using traditional race fuels.
Some Evo guys have been daily driving E85 for 2 years with no problems at all with their stock fuel components. I spent a lot of time researching it and no one has had ANY problems with their fuel system since running E85 that I have read about. Fuel components in cars since the 80s are durable enough to handle E85 and I see no potential threat to running it, especially in a car I no longer daily drive since I bought my 350z. The 240 is only driven a couple days a week now if that. Furthermore, all my rubber fuel lines are less than one year old and my o-rings are even newer as well so that isn't a concern to me.
1cleanS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #453
NiSs4oUrTy

Trader Rating: (2)
NiSs4oUrTy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hey guys i'm on the build as well with my gt2871r. My question is, because my friend is selling me 72 lb MSD Top Feed Fuel Injectors for a good price, would that be good for me?
NiSs4oUrTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #454
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bshotts
72 lb/min injectors convert to about 755 cc/min using the conversion factor of 10.5 cc/min to every lb/min.

At that flow rate and for an average duty cycle, you will be fine for supporting the 2871. Now the guys here with actual injector duty cycle datalogging experience during tuning sessions would be able to tell you exact numbers with boost levels/engine loading etc. IIRC, top feed injectors will need an aftermarket fuel rail, not sure if the OEM can be modified to accommodate. Enjoy the turb!
bshotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #455
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshotts View Post
72 lb/min injectors convert to about 755 cc/min using the conversion factor of 10.5 cc/min to every lb/min.

At that flow rate and for an average duty cycle, you will be fine for supporting the 2871. Now the guys here with actual injector duty cycle datalogging experience during tuning sessions would be able to tell you exact numbers with boost levels/engine loading etc. IIRC, top feed injectors will need an aftermarket fuel rail, not sure if the OEM can be modified to accommodate. Enjoy the turb!

72lbers are plenty for 2871r cars, and even most 30r guys.

And as you stated, they will require a top feed fuel rail.

Remember, with MSD 72lbers you will need to use resisters for proper impedence. Not a big deal, but just a must. FWIW: RC now offers larger 72lbers in the correct impedence for us as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyotherone View Post

I've done some fair amount of research on the longevity of cars running e85, and haen't seen anyone experiencing problems 'yet' (key word). Now I've already read test results where some deterioration of seals have occuered, but most of them were in the most extreme sense of duration and type of test. In fact, I may even have a link at home in my bookmarks going over this. It essentially says that E85 is no more or less harmful than leaded race fuels that some people run.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #456
turbo-travis
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
turbo-travis is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
does anyone have any input on GT3076 (T25 style flange w/ internal wastegate) compared to the GT2871. I just sold my S13 to a friend and built the motor with a T25 flanged GT3076 .63ar. It pulls good, but it's only on stock cams and running 7 psi because of boost controller issues at the moment.

I now have an S14 project and am thinking about using the 2871 for it. Just wanted to know if anyone has used the very uncommon T25 flanged 3076
turbo-travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #457
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-travis View Post
does anyone have any input on GT3076 (T25 style flange w/ internal wastegate) compared to the GT2871. I just sold my S13 to a friend and built the motor with a T25 flanged GT3076 .63ar. It pulls good, but it's only on stock cams and running 7 psi because of boost controller issues at the moment.

I now have an S14 project and am thinking about using the 2871 for it. Just wanted to know if anyone has used the very uncommon T25 flanged 3076
Guy here in IN by the name of George has just upgraded his redtop in his S14 to the T25 flanged GT3076 after selling his 2871. I know after talking with him, in order to keep his T25 flanged bottom mount setup, he had to notch out the driver side engine mount to clear some part of the compressor housing IIRC, but you could always try to get ahold of him for more info.....username sr20doc.

Let me say this about his setup; never having personally felt the power from a properly tuned 2871 on a redtop and only having a T28 @ 16 psi on mine, his 3076 @ 23 psi was SCARY quick . From my short experience in his S14, full boost came on by 4000 or before (can't remember tach was moving too quick) and never stopped until he shut it down at somewhere around I dunno 120 or so.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #458
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
I really don't like the idea of the 3076 on a t2 based setup. Seems very unbalanced, and almost to much little flow to take advantage of it.

The 2871r .64 is the perfect street T2 based turbo. If you want more power, go top mount and take it's advantages along with the 30r for some big boy power.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #459
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Cody...maybe I've missed throughout this thread, but do you have a video of a decent street or track run? I'd like to see that 2871 powa
Old 09-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #460
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
i have one on my sr. only running 10-14 psi the avc-r wasnt set up completely. YouTube - IDAHOTUNER 130? MPH 240sx sr20det gt2871r .64

this was before the suspension was softend up to make it bearable.
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #461
1cleanS13
Leaky Injector

1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future1cleanS13 has a brilliant future
Just got back from my tune on e85. Good jesus!

Redtop, GT2871R .64, 740cc, Tomei 256 poncams, PFC and all the normal bolt ons.

At 20psi:
383whp
373wtq

At 4000rpm I am making just shy of 360wtq.

Previous #'s on 91 octane pump at 15psi were 311whp and 290wtq.

I'll post up my sheet later tonight.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #462
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
that is awesome man. great numbers.
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #463
DanDriftS13
Leaky Injector

DanDriftS13 is on a distinguished road
Been a good bit now since I got dynoed and I've blew my motor up....Don't ask long story, but back on Feb 20th of this year I dynoed 337whp/295wtq on 17lbs with an 11.2 afr across the board on 93 octane pump gas.

my setup was

GT2871R .64a/r
S13 SR Redtop
Brian Crower 264cams
Brian Crower Valve springs and Ti Retainers
Cometic headgasket
ARP HeadStuds
Adjustable FPR
STI 550CC injectors
Z32 MAF
Stock intake and exhaust mani stock turbo elbow
3" dp and exhaust
FMIC etc...
DanDriftS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 AM   #464
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
those are high numbers! where's the dyno sheet? What dyno was this on? (1cleans13)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #465
Cloud9
Zilvia Junkie

Cloud9 is making a name for him/her selfCloud9 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDriftS13 View Post
Been a good bit now since I got dynoed and I've blew my motor up....Don't ask long story, but back on Feb 20th of this year I dynoed 337whp/295wtq on 17lbs with an 11.2 afr across the board on 93 octane pump gas.

my setup was

GT2871R .64a/r
S13 SR Redtop
Brian Crower 264cams
Brian Crower Valve springs and Ti Retainers
Cometic headgasket
ARP HeadStuds
Adjustable FPR
STI 550CC injectors
Z32 MAF
Stock intake and exhaust mani stock turbo elbow
3" dp and exhaust
FMIC etc...
i kno you said dont ask and i not trying to be a smart ass but im curious what went wrong, or if you even know? When it blew was your head still ok btw? if ya want pm me or if you have another page from then maybe a link thanks.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #466
1cleanS13
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahotuner View Post
that is awesome man. great numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoguRacing View Post
those are high numbers! where's the dyno sheet? What dyno was this on? (1cleans13)
Thanks guys! Here are the sheets: (just took a couple friends out for rides and its official, this car is a fucking monster!!!)

I'll list my specs again for reference:
Redtop - stock internals & headgasket
GT2871R .64
740cc Tomei's
Tomei 256/256 Poncams
Z32 MAF
HKS FMIC
HKS SSQV
Greddy Turbo Elbow
Blitz Downpipe
Megan Test Pipe
Apexi GT Spec Exhaust
Stock intake & exhaust manifolds
P2M RAS
Walbro 255lph
Koyo Rad + FAL Electric Fans
R32 VLSD
Competition Clutch Street Disc + 11lb Flywheel
Power FC tuned on E85 @ 20psi

Best of all, daily driven w/AC + PS

Last edited by 1cleanS13; 09-21-2008 at 10:51 PM..
Old 09-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #467
Osmosis
Leaky Injector

Osmosis is making a name for him/her selfOsmosis is making a name for him/her self
This was 3rd gear run. 4th gear was 360. Does my tq seem low?

rods
pistons 8.5/1 .5mm over
bc stage II 264 in/ex cams
springs
retainers
RAS
greddy IM
gt2871r .64
740cc injectors
enthalpy tune
z32 maf
Osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #468
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post

rods
pistons 8.5/1 .5mm over
bc stage II 264 in/ex cams
springs
retainers
RAS
greddy IM
gt2871r .64
740cc injectors
enthalpy tune
z32 maf

Was this an S13 or S14 SR ?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #469
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post
What is your base timing set at? Maybe those BC cams need a bit of degreeing to get them to make some good power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanS13 View Post
Just got back from my tune on e85. Good jesus!

Redtop, GT2871R .64, 740cc, Tomei 256 poncams, PFC and all the normal bolt ons.

At 20psi:
383whp
373wtq
I'll post up my sheet later tonight.
Damn you and your E85! Great torque numbers man, i'm so glad to finally see some more serious 2871r cars coming around

Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #470
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
E85 is of the devil and will kill your motor and your loved ones.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #471
kevtrinh
Zilvia Junkie

kevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond reputekevtrinh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
oh yeah? where is your proof?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #472
Osmosis
Leaky Injector

Osmosis is making a name for him/her selfOsmosis is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15specR View Post
Was this an S13 or S14 SR ?
S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
What is your base timing set at? Maybe those BC cams need a bit of degreeing to get them to make some good power?
15*

Any one else with BC cams care to chime in?
Osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #473
1cleanS13
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Damn you and your E85! Great torque numbers man, i'm so glad to finally see some more serious 2871r cars coming around
Thanks man! Before I did all my upgrades I remember coming across your dyno and wishing I could make power like that with a nice powerband. Awesome job on hitting 400whp on the .64 btw I carefully chose my parts along the way and couldn't be happier with the way my car drives now. Your chart kinda inspired me and even though I did not go your exact same route as far as parts go, I think mine turned out well.

I looked thru this entire thread and still can't find another SR dyno with similar mods (which I consider mine are pretty mild) making the insane torque mine made. I dunno if its the E85 or what, but almost 360wtq at about 4-4100 is crazy!

I can't wait to get some slicks and hit up the 1/4 for shits and giggles. I'm guessing mid/high 11s. Full interior, AC, PS and stereo system
Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #474
1cleanS13
Leaky Injector

Quote:
lol...e85 is the shit!

I noticed I can beat the shit outta my car now and the temps never go past 170-180 when before on pump I could easily hit 210 after some hard pulls.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #475
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtrinh View Post
oh yeah? where is your proof?

In the pudding.

Nice number though man. The torque is especially impressive. You have a complete car now. Boosted Z next?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #476
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Osmo...buddy of mine warned me against using BC cams simply because of how much adjustment he had to make with cam gears to get them back within spec after he installed them. I remember him saying they were on the order of a double digits worth of degrees off just on the intake side. Try searching some on here for others who might have had the same problem with BC cams. We want to see over 300 ft lb next time you post!
Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #477
1cleanS13
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Nice number though man. The torque is especially impressive. You have a complete car now. Boosted Z next?
Boost for sure someday in the Z. That thing is slow as fuck, but at least its 10x nicer to daily drive than the s13.

The s13 is pretty much where I want it. I never wanted to get that extreme with it. Just some crazy rims on stock body and a decent motor set up. I'll still drive it a few times a week.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #478
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Just for my own comparison.-- How does a gt28rs compare to the gt2871?-- I have an RS and im wanting around 325hp and not much more than a bar of boost. From what i can tell the 2871 is capable of more HP than a RS they are just built differently. Any ideas??
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #479
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
I looked thru this entire thread and still can't find another SR dyno with similar mods (which I consider mine are pretty mild) making the insane torque mine made. I dunno if its the E85 or what, but almost 360wtq at about 4-4100 is crazy!
Alot of that may be due to your stock intake manifold and the 256 cams (whereas I have the Greddy Plenum and 260's).

The big thing I gotta stress though is proper cam selection. Ironic how you and I have quality aftermarket cams (Tomei and JWT) and we both make Mack Truck torque (well, ya know haha). Good parts will always make good power with the least amount of concern. You and I have pretty 'basic' cars, and both make good power.

You always could be making some of that torque through tuning on the e85. It resists detonation more than pump gas, thus allowing a 'bit' more timing to be jammed in.

Quote:
I can't wait to get some slicks and hit up the 1/4 for shits and giggles. I'm guessing mid/high 11s. Full interior, AC, PS and stereo system
You sound like me, - the stereo system With a good launch, that car should have an easy 11.5 in it. I went 11.65 with a 1.8 launch..and just slipping the clutch. I know mine has more in it with a proper 2 step and a better (1.7x) launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshotts View Post
Osmo...buddy of mine warned me against using BC cams simply because of how much adjustment he had to make with cam gears to get them back within spec after he installed them. I remember him saying they were on the order of a double digits worth of degrees off just on the intake side. Try searching some on here for others who might have had the same problem with BC cams. We want to see over 300 ft lb next time you post!
The issue is, BC cams are jank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13dan View Post
Just for my own comparison.-- How does a gt28rs compare to the gt2871?-- I have an RS and im wanting around 325hp and not much more than a bar of boost. From what i can tell the 2871 is capable of more HP than a RS they are just built differently. Any ideas??
The 2871r .64 and 28rs have similar spool up and peak torque numbers, the issue is however is that hte 2871r .64 will make much more top end, and hold it for longer, instead of dipping off.

One advantage of the 28RS IMO is that it has slightly better 'off throttle' response, but not much. The disco potato is THE perfect FWD street car turbo.

For kicks:

My cars graphed overlayed on my buddies Sentra graph

His Sentra: 28RS .86, extrude honed. GTiR manifold (extrude and swain), 40mm gate welded on. GTiR J pipe (extruded) and 3" exhaust. S3 cams, stock manifold, 50lb/cobra maf program, etc etc.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #480
pwr-adr
Leaky Injector

pwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the roughpwr-adr is a jewel in the rough
A smidge off topic but we dynoed my friends s14 with blacktop. He made 272whp and not to positive on the torque but it was made on a 28rs on 15psi with a v-mount set up. It just has a downpipe back exhaust and blitz sus intake. Stock fpr, stock 370's, stock ecu getting as rich is 9.3:1 at a few points!!! Not too bad for 5,200 ft. elevation.

We recently put on a gt2871r with the .64 and is to be getting dynoed soon and tuned finally.
pwr-adr is offline   Reply With Quote