Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Stumped on a brake issue.

Hello everyone.

I know the brake system is not rocket science but for some reason, this issue keeps bogging my mind and with everything else, just not figuring it out.

Here is what is happening.
When I first install the master, the pedal is very very hard and barely goes down. When it does, it pushes the air out of the lines but if you give it a little more pressure, a loud spring sound will occur and then the pedal goes down easily as if there is no master and the master will no longer provide any pressure.

Bench bleeding the master again after wards, the fittings are then wrong. One pushes, another barely provides pressure and the third works like a vacuum instead of providing pressure.

This has happened to one 240sx master and two 1995 300zx masters.

Setup that has changed and misc information.

All the lines other than the hard line under the car to the rear caliper tee fitting are steel braided and brand new. Before installing them, I was able to blow threw them all to make sure none of them are clogged and/or stuck. Calipers are all brand new 300zx calipers front and rear.

Now I read the posting on another website about the 300zx brake swap, etc and they recommended using an automatic 240sx booster or a 300zx booster but I don't recall it saying if you can or cannot use the stock 240sx Manual booster. That is currently what I have.
Does anyone know if this is causing the issue?

I am trying to use a 300zx brake master since that is recommended on the site for the correct proportion.

Seems like it may be the only thing that would cause the issue here.

I do bench bleed the master before installing it and I made sure again that all the lines are not clogged.

Anyone have any ideas?

Does not work when gravity bleeding even for a few hours (left it all open while I went to work and when I returned, still had nothing).

I appreciate any information in advance.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Rayne
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Rayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bleed the entire brake system, not just the brake master cylinder.

I have had to replace a brake master cylinder before. We bleed the entire system including the brake calipers.
Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Bleed the entire brake system, not just the brake master cylinder.

I have had to replace a brake master cylinder before. We bleed the entire system including the brake calipers.
Are you talking about hooking the hoses to a water bottle and gravity bleeding them, then hooking them onto the master?

If not, how would you bleed them if fluid doesnt leave the master and has no pressure?

Also how do you do it without pressing the cylinder in so it doesnt break?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
Rayne
Zilvia Addict

Rayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfectionRayne is close to perfection
See the factory service manual for brake bleeding instructions.

Go to a mechanic if you can't figure out even after reading the factory service manual.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
dongteixinqi

dongteixinqi is an unknown quantity at this point
you are right,Go to a mechanic if you can't figure out even after reading the factory service manual.thanks
dongteixinqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

You guys obviously dont understand the issue and the car cant move if it doesnt have brakes... also I am a mechanic... lol

Is there no one that can answer if you can use a stock 240 manual boosted with z32 setup?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
When I installed my Z32 BMC it was on a 96 Base Manual. Never had an issue with the setup. The brake booster on the auto s14 is larger compared to the ones that came with the manual trans. If you have the brake booster from an auto it will help but it is not needed to complete the swap.

We bench bled the z32 BMC 1st then bled the entire brake system according to FSM. The Z32 BMC is not per say needed to complete the brake swap but it is HIGHLY recommended since the factory 240sx BMC is smaller and pedal feel will be very spongy. I would look at your BMC and verify its not faulty. I'm using a 16/16 Z32 BMC if your wondering.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #8
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
When I installed my Z32 BMC it was on a 96 Base Manual. Never had an issue with the setup. The brake booster on the auto s14 is larger compared to the ones that came with the manual trans. If you have the brake booster from an auto it will help but it is not needed to complete the swap.

We bench bled the z32 BMC 1st then bled the entire brake system according to FSM. The Z32 BMC is not per say needed to complete the brake swap but it is HIGHLY recommended since the factory 240sx BMC is smaller and pedal feel will be very spongy. I would look at your BMC and verify its not faulty. I'm using a 16/16 Z32 BMC if your wondering.
Thank you for the reply.

I will purchase another and try again to see if it will work. Thank you.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #9
cliffordmaiks

cliffordmaiks is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Pure Garcinia Cambogia HCA – Use and be free of obesity!

Pure Garcinia Cambogia HCA is made of using all natural ingredients that make it free from all side effects. If consumed according to the right directions, this is the safest formula to use.

An exciting new breakthrough formula for natural weight loss, Pure Garcinia Cambogia HCA ensures proper and better body functioning for long lasting results. It meets your expectation without diet or exercise plans.

Click for more info : http://puregarciniacambogiahelps.com/
cliffordmaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
Rayne
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntdevil View Post
You guys obviously dont understand the issue and the car cant move if it doesn't have brakes... also I am a mechanic... lol

Is there no one that can answer if you can use a stock 240 manual boosted with z32 setup?
No, we understand the situation. Somehow you have forgot about the "Emergency brake." When I had to replace the master brake cylinder in one of my vehicles, I had to use the emergency brake to stop the car on my way home from work and also from my house to the airplane mechanic my family knew down the street.

You are "Mechanic". Yet you ask about how to bleed a brake system.

Hmmm any guy with a tool box can be considered as a "Mechanic."

About the brake 240sx brake booster. You have already answered that question. Reread your initial post.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:20 AM   #11
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
You are "Mechanic". Yet you ask about how to bleed a brake system.

Hmmm any guy with a tool box can be considered a "Mechanic."

About the brake 240sx brake booster. You have already answered that question. Reread your initial post.
Not asking how to bleed the system, asking how to resolve an issue that keeps breaking the brake masters even though its a setup that someone else uses.
A mechanic can be someone without a toolbox as well. All depends on each persons terms of who a mechanic is.

Also I am waiting for an automatic 240sx brake booster to arrive along with a new z32 brake master in hope that it resolves the issue.

The brake system isnt a difficult system hence why I stated that the issue has stumped me. If you know the answer, answer it, stating to go to a mechanic who also would have the same issue is basically the same as you saying "I Don't know".

Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
Rayne
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntdevil View Post
Not asking how to bleed the system, asking how to resolve an issue that keeps breaking the brake masters even though its a setup that someone else uses.
A mechanic can be someone without a toolbox as well. All depends on each persons terms of who a mechanic is.

Also I am waiting for an automatic 240sx brake booster to arrive along with a new z32 brake master in hope that it resolves the issue.

The brake system isnt a difficult system hence why I stated that the issue has stumped me. If you know the answer, answer it, stating to go to a mechanic who also would have the same issue is basically the same as you saying "I Don't know".
Reread the third post in this thread. Obviously you don't know, since you are asking a question.

Remember I have had to replace a brake master cylinder. My mechanic friend of mine and I bled the entire brake system after we installed a new master cylinder.