Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #301
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
The fire in the a-pillar has happened to me a couple times as well. Usually when doing a-pillar gussets, I start feeling my arm getting hot just thinking it's too close to a part I just welded and then think the smoke is coming from the winshield adhesive that's still stuck on the car, and then realize that there's a fire underneath me.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #302
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Ok so here is another update of some fab work in the last few days.

Well I am nearing completion with the exhaust for the 1000whp shop Camaro.

the whole idea with this exhaust was to be invisible from the side profile when viewing the car.

As you can see here I succeeded.

All the weird shapes that went into this exhaust were all measured for volume and efficiency.

No matter what shape you see here on this system it always keeps 3.5" volume.

So now that the front is done its time for the hard part.
We are going to hide the rear section as well.

we are going to put the two mufflers in parallel, with the gas tank in between.

This posed a problem since there are frame rails on each side of the tank.

O well I guess we will just chop the frame out on this 150+k camaro.

Good ol sparky.

Now I just need to grind it all smooth and box it in with 18 gauge plate.
I will do that tomorrow.

Ok now for an update on the turbo system.

I decided to make a cold air intake system for the turbo so it wont suck heat off of the radiator.

It is a K&N cold air intake tube from a chevy truck system.

Fits perfectly. Yes it took me about 3 hours to find an off the shelf tube that fit correctly. This will be included in the kit we will be offering.

Then I finished the intercooler piping, and mounted the huge turbonetics blow off valve.

Then onto the turbonetics racegate.

After a few hours of finding the best location. Here it is. All tacked up. T304 stainless.

Looks like business.

Easy adjustment.

Clears the hood with 2+ inches to spare.

This kit is shaping out to be a great fit for the car. I think it adds some personality as well.

Thats it for now. I will post more pics later.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #303
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Do you think that K&N Chevy intake would work as a cold air/short ram for a KA? It would seem to be in the perfect location.

I tried to pm you but your box was full.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #304
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
It might work. But it has some weird curves to it. It would prob be more expensive than a regular intake for a KA anyways.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #305
badrifter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
badrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of lightbadrifter is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your exhaust is the sickest ive ever seen!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #306
blu808
Post Whore!

badrifter:

Thank you very much. I wish I could spare the time to make one for my personal car.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #307
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
some awesome work man!!!

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #308
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Luke, that exhaust is officially the ducks nuts. Damn.
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #309
blu808
Post Whore!

haha. What does that mean Bill?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #310
blu808
Post Whore!

Ok here is an update on what I did today.

Started to route the rear section of the exhaust with the bullet muffler.

All mandrel bent.

Then marked the cutout.

And drilled some pilot holes. Since this car is going to be worth over 150k We double and triple checked everything.

Then I had Paul cut the holes for liability reasons.

Nice

Then I made the tip. 3.5"

Looks mean.

We may angle the cut of the tips to match the body line. What do you guys think would look better?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #311
mestizo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
mestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
angle cut for sure!

92 S13 Coupe Track Car
mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #312
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Eh, I like the straight cut myself. Looks fantastic Luke!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #313
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
luke, can you give more detail on how you made the exhaust for the camaro? specifically - what method did you use to make sure all the shapes were the same volume? (anything besides figuring it out on paper?)
Old 02-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #314
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
I think something like this but a little thicker would look killer.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #315
blu808
Post Whore!

mestizo: I like the angle cut. But the straight tip shouts not giving a fuck, while still looking good. Thanks for your input. I will make a mock up angle cut tomorrow and get some pics up.

Jordan: Thanks. I like the straight one. Thanks for the props. Any other ideas.? Keep in mind the exhaust will be black.

King: I wanted whatever tips we do to be an inside rolled lip. We will see what the owner wants. pos rep for that idea though.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #316
blu808
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
luke, can you give more detail on how you made the exhaust for the camaro? specifically - what method did you use to make sure all the shapes were the same volume? (anything besides figuring it out on paper?)
It is really not that complicated.

There is actually a computer program that I use for all my round to oval to flat tubing.

google cone layout. it is a software program designed for some aerospace stuff that works ok. Also you have to keep in mind that there is some added restriction from going from round down to oval in any application. So you should consider those as well.

Luke
Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #317
mestizo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
mestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yea angle cut with a rolled edge would be sweet or you could just trace the contour of the roll pan onto the straight pipe and cut it to fit perfect. But the rolled edge on a compound curve cut would be hard to do but not impossible.

92 S13 Coupe Track Car
mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #318
blu808
Post Whore!

well if it is an angle cut it will match the "roll pan" angle.

Dont worry about anything being hard to do with this car. Everything we have done is hard. This car will be awesome because everything we did to it was hard to do, and took dedication and determination.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #319
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
I think Bosozoku styre would be best, with a star shape at the top. But seriously, I like how it is right there, straight tip but know the angle cut would officially look the best.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #320
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
If angle cut it has to be a little longer maybe to give it bad assness... maybe.. just a thought...
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #321
atown 240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
atown 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i think angle cut would look badass but then it'd leave hc residue on the bumper
atown 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #322
DriftinAndy
Leaky Injector

DriftinAndy is making a name for him/her selfDriftinAndy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via Yahoo to DriftinAndy
Damn dude that camaro just made me blow a load all over my keyboard!! And your corvette powered s14???....JEEZUS EFN CHRISST! Im sure it was alot of work to fit that thing in that bay right?? +++ On your cars!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #323
kuroichiyon
Leaky Injector

kuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to beholdkuroichiyon is a splendid one to behold
What an interesting thread. Props to all you guys, even the beginners. It's nice to see the different levels of experience without the normal bs comments.
For the Camaro, straight tip all the way. Angled tips always remind me of ricers while straight tip screams MUSCLE imho.
This car is unbelievable. You must've you've learned a lot during this project, keep up the great work.
kuroichiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #324
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Started and finished the new oil pan today. The flange is 1/2" T6 that I cut on the bridgeport with the rotary wheel to do the contours. Jesus that was lame. I'm still in the stone ages here. The baffles aren't yet welded in, drain plug as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #325
blu808
Post Whore!

Damn Bill. If I was a billionaire I would pay you to move out here, and build some sick cars for me. lol. Amazing as usual.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #326
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
Blu808: Both are looking nice, angle cut would make it look cleaner, more showcar like, but keeping it straight would make it look more raw/muscle.

How about making it an inch or 2 longer and keeping it straight. (crappy photoshop I made) I think it looks more intense, its screams muscle car.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #327
blu808
Post Whore!

kinda like the baracuda in the backround?

Thats a cool idea. I will try that as well and post up some pics.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #328
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
I personally like it straight. Looks BA. If you do angle I think it should come out a bit more.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #329
wannabe_drifter
Zilvia Member

wannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to beholdwannabe_drifter is a splendid one to behold
Kind of like on the baracuda yea.

I like the way it sticks out on the photoshop I made.
I think it'd be easier to get the idea if we could see both sides.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #330
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstyre View Post
Started and finished the new oil pan today. The flange is 1/2" T6 that I cut on the bridgeport with the rotary wheel to do the contours. Jesus that was lame. I'm still in the stone ages here. The baffles aren't yet welded in, drain plug as well.
Bill, that looks awesome, what did you do to keep the flange from warping while you welded?

$pending dead pre$ident$ J@CK@TT@CK!
tknbkthrsdy4anfg is offline   Reply With Quote