Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
FTWjesse
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
FTWjesse is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't buy garret turbo's anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtech View Post
I work at Garrett Turbos, now called Honeywell Turbo Technologies which there so proud of. When Cliff Garrett Owned Garrett He used to brown bag his lunch everyday and cared for a quality Product. If he knew what Honeywell has done now he would turn over in his grave. Honeywell bought Garrett In 1998 or 1999. After this they opened up a turbo testing lab in shanghai China and quickly moved there turbo overhaul to Mexicali Mexico, quickly after Garrett overhaul went belly-up. So they moved there whole production to Mexicali Mexico, as if that first failure was not a sign.

Garrett Turbos made a quality product for a fair price. A turbo is a precision instrument. Garrett turbos was part of Garrett Air Research (on 190th st. In Torrance ca.) Where they have a huge facility designing turbine engines, and so on. Most of the senior technicians in our main turbo facility (Lomita Blvd Torrance ca) came from our air research. If you’re building jet engines a turbo is not all that difficult. Well Cliff Garrett dies. At that time ALL production of Garrett Turbos was at Lomita Torrance ca. Also all engineering and research was there as well. After we were bought and production was sent to Mexico to save costs. Our production numbers doubled. And cost was cut in half our failure rate tripled. Well who cares Honeywell is making money and lots of it. Turbos are considered Honeywell’s golden egg. They feel that turbos are going to take over big. Which it already has in the diesel market. We make ford diesel turbos, daf, Chevrolet, some Audi, vw, fiat, Perkins. Millions of turbos. And there now all coming from china and Mexico. Well up until lately the company figured if the product was designed in the US and assembled in Mexico we would be ok. Well to further there profit and **** the customer once again....the LAST of what makes turbo American leaves in January 2011. We will close the doors to the Torrance Lab. In Torrance we did all our racing turbos (wrc stuff, Audi racing etc..) then in the garret garage we did the turbos you people buy for your Subaru’s. Actually I take that back. They take turbos that were made on a production line somewhere else in the world, and change a couple of parts on a bench in Torrance (wheels, housing..etc) and send it to you the customer saying it was made in the us.....no it was not it was just repackaged and altered a little. Well as of Jan 2011 all your turbos will be made in Mexico or china or Czech Republic. This is the last Garrett facility in the United States.

We have huge law suits pending due to turbo failures. GM is probably going to leave us.... ford has already sued us. Caterpillar has one of the largest recalls in garret history in the process. Our name is becoming ****. The last few VERY smart guys left in the company are being fired to save costs, but see our profit is already good.....they just want more. Please don’t spend 1500$ on a gt35r. Now that it’s costing Honeywell less to build turbos do you think you will see a smaller bill when you order there product? NO!. They are going to charge you even more for even less. There are countless procedures that are being terminated everyday that made our turbos THE BEST. They keep cutting corner after corner. Did you know that we shave metal off our turbine and compressor housings until they are at the EXTREME minimum needed to contain in the event of failure they are shaving every nickel off the cost of a turbo. Did you know that 2000$ gt40 you buy is all mark up. I won’t dare say the actual cost to the company in fear of a lawsuit but lets just say your sales tax is more then the production cost.

Do not buy these turbos. BorgWarner and mitsu are trying there best to compete with us making a quality product. Honeywell is using its big name to back junky turbos Like Toyota is starting to do. I guarantee in the next 8 months you will see a huge decline in quality. All designing and production is in CHINA AND MEXICO. Honeywell is taking back all there benefits they used to supply us with as employees. That way when they lay us off its as cheap as possible. Instead of saying "Well after we take a hit laying those people off we will make tons" they are just taking back all there benefits so they walk away clean and clear. We used to get a severance package. Which they just took away. One of the head engineers involved in the t3 project. (Designing the first t3) he is still with our company. he was supposed to get 44 weeks of pay if he ever got layed off (30 days and 1 week for every year with the company. 40 years with the company)Due to the new Honeywell rules he gets only 16 weeks pay they stole all that pack after promising it to him for 40 years. My fingers and about to fall off typing all this and I am heated so I don’t care about grammar I’m concerned about you people not supporting a Nazi company. Take your business elsewhere. Somewhere where you will get what your money pays for. Have a nice day and don’t forget if you hear the name HTT Honeywell Turbo Technologies Stay away

(They still use the garret stamp on the turbos)
quoted from another forum I frequent
FTWjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
satal95
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (24)
satal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Wow that suxs lol so now XS turbo's are going to be better then garret
Old 02-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
FTWjesse
Zilvia Member

FTWjesse is an unknown quantity at this point
xs, borg warner.

a lot of companies will be.
FTWjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
wgJoY
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
wgJoY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wgJoY
Yikes!

Tragic :/
wgJoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
you spelled garrett wrong
shiftdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
you spelled garrett wrong
...and you posted in Chat.

Moved--->
Old 02-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Jakob
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to allJakob is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2 of my buddies turbos ( gt28rs and gt2871r) blew after 7000km (3450miles google ftw) because of bearing failure. both of them were bought brand new and used the proper oil fittings run on a ca18det.

now i don't say that this is a proof for the quoted text above, but it made me think twice about spending money on a garrett turbo.

to me they were always bulletproof turbos, my buddies 1995 s14 with 190000km has its first turbo (and its been abused!!) my 1995 s14 has 140000km and it still has his first turbo, both were made by garret.

i guess everything is just getting worse because humans are more concerned about how much money they save/earn instead of being proud to produce or buy a quality product.

Last edited by Jakob; 02-21-2010 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: english fail
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
time for a holset!!!!
sucks to see that yet another company has fallen victim to greed over quality.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
frftw
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
frftw is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
thats sad. i hope this dont mean that all the s15 bb turbos will suck
frftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
ranger240
Zilvia Addict

ranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the rough
so one anonymous bitter poster is going to serve as a primary source for not buying a product?
ranger240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
R_G
Zilvia Junkie

R_G is an unknown quantity at this point
what forum is this from?
R_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I was thinking of going turbonetics anyway.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Sounds like everything will be china spec within the next 5 years.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger240 View Post
so one anonymous bitter poster is going to serve as a primary source for not buying a product?

Of course thats the beauty of the internet, you can post random BS and people will listen and not do the research. Kinda like the news. I can't say if this info is valid or not but I wouldn't not buy a garrett turbo just because of this post. This is kinda like the one post about the glued together turbine housing, or the Rota wheel. Post and wait for people to co-sign and the people who have never owned or planned to own will tell everyone else it's garbage.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I was never impressed with Garret even tho I've run them alot. I've had a GT2871R, old school T04-S, GT3071R and now on a GT3582R. How hard is it to add a bead of silicon or add an O-ring to seal the fucking compressor housing onto the CHRA?!?! Fucking shit always leaks, I've even seen them leak thru the damn bolts.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
[w]hite[r]abbit[x]
Zilvia Junkie

[w]hite[r]abbit[x] will become famous soon enough[w]hite[r]abbit[x] will become famous soon enough[w]hite[r]abbit[x] will become famous soon enough[w]hite[r]abbit[x] will become famous soon enough
Honey Well was at our Career Fair at Iowa State University. I don't know why they even showed up at the career fair if they aren't even hiring any engineers.
[w]hite[r]abbit[x] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
SmogSUX
Zilvia Junkie

SmogSUX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SmogSUX

Holset FTW I <3 my Holset. Made in the UK, no China made shiz here
Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
/\/\/\ hey dood your pistons fell out.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
I LUV MY S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
I LUV MY S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Of course thats the beauty of the internet, you can post random BS and people will listen and not do the research. Kinda like the news. I can't say if this info is valid or not but I wouldn't not buy a garrett turbo just because of this post. This is kinda like the one post about the glued together turbine housing, or the Rota wheel. Post and wait for people to co-sign and the people who have never owned or planned to own will tell everyone else it's garbage.
yep agree with this..lets see how this progresses

-Jorge
I LUV MY S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
SmogSUX
Zilvia Junkie

SmogSUX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SmogSUX
D: Oh shit wherez mah pistons?? Oh found em..they were in my calipers
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Psycho 240 Freak
Zilvia Member

Psycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-known
Everything is being sent out of the country to be made now, not just Garrett turbos.
Psycho 240 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #22
Sergio180sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
Sergio180sx is on the path to ruinSergio180sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Aw shit i cant wait to see how many pages this thread will get......i say 16 pages
Sergio180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #23
Teddy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
Teddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfectionTeddy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Great. More knock-off stuff. Just what we need.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #24
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
i call bs.

i rox precision turbo's (reworked gangstafied garrett's)

Dave
Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
BlitzRPS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
BlitzRPS13 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Glad i have a Greddy turbo that is made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.
BlitzRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
voodoo_child
Zilvia Junkie

voodoo_child is an unknown quantity at this point
correct me if im wrong but is HKS using GARRETT turbo housing?
voodoo_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #27
C.leland
BANNED

C.leland is an unknown quantity at this point
this bums me out. i hope its not true.
C.leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #28
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
quoted and snipped--

"Well Cliff Garrett dies. At that time ALL production of Garrett Turbos was at Lomita Torrance ca. Also all engineering and research was there as well. After we were bought and production was sent to Mexico to save costs. Our production numbers doubled. And cost was cut in half our failure rate tripled. Well who cares Honeywell is making money and lots of it."

Cliff Garrett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
wiki says Cliff Garrett died in 1963. So brown bagging it and etc, don't mean shit. The man died 47years ago.
heres the wiki for garret/aireasearch Garrett AiResearch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
its not their first merger. Merger means new. NEW, things change. Names may stay the same, but things will change.

The last merger was in 1999, 10-11 frigging years ago. How many turbos that we(zilvian's) typically run that are that old? maybe stock turbos, but not much else.

If it was not for china turbos... where would cx racing/etc be without them? and our 600dollar gt35's?

NINJASPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #29
midnight_rex
Zilvia Member

midnight_rex is an unknown quantity at this point
lol im using turbonetics...id rather have a rebuild-able turbo than spending another 1200. nothing wrong with journal bearing turbos =)
midnight_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #30
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Man.. I just bought S15 turbos...
I think it should be fine....
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote