Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #241
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Teigen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga View Post
put a 4agze ,with turbo on the starlet, stock around 300hp, it will be flying.

about the carbon plenum: in the horsepower you wanna be, i would advice against it. first of all, you will need to have a design that works. you can do modifications to an aluminium construction easily, but not to a carbon. the other thing is high boost. to get 1000hp as you want ,you want this thing to be strong. which means a two piece construction is a no-no.

the only way to do this properly is the following. after making your original (its called plug) and making your mold, there's a material called aquapour. you mix this with water and its like cement. you pour it in your (two-piece) mold, and after it has hardened, you take it out. apply carbon fiber and resin around it, and vacuum bag it. its gonna be ugly looking, but the interior is what matters. after it has cured, you can wash the aquapour out of the isides just by using water. and you re left with just the manifold. now, when i was researching how to do this i was afraid to bolt it directly to the block, so i thought i'd use an old manifold cut it off and connect the two with silicon couplers.(or vband clamps or whatever)

personally i think the gains are too little to get into such trouble. (but it's maximum restecpa when you open the hoood and show it off)
awesome text!

That aquapour sounds amazing! Really need to buy that. The carbon plenum is more for the looks than weight saving. Its just a ultimate dream. Anyway i will make a new plenum/runners in oval alu. With billett flanges and inlet from IC same style as the one I made for the Volvo. Need a replace for when carbon intake cracks during a raceday...

Figured out i need to make tubs for front wheels. Any suggestions?

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #242
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
if you need help with carbon, techniques etc, gimme a shout. i got my materials from germany and sweden ...
Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #243
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
if you need help with carbon, techniques etc, gimme a shout. i got my materials from germany and sweden ...
Yeah would be superb. You work with it?
I have only made a few small enginecovers in carbon and not looking or being good haha. Need practice. I recently bought a vacuum machine from endless R

Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #244
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
well, the only carbon that is light and looks good needs an autoclave. if you want maximum lightweight with conventional methods (vacuum bagging) you might get pinholes , that means the surface might get tiny air bubbles between the weaves. but methods and materials are always getting better and better. the perfect carbon you see on F1 etc are pre-preg carbon, they come frozen with the resin already impregnated within, and thats why you can cut them and place them by hand, and then they get vacuum bagged, AND pressurized to 7 bar within the heated oven (autoclave) thats why they look so flat and perfect. that's too much quality for us...heheh. but you can make a similar part with vacuum bagging with 30% more weight. so what, heh. already the parts i was making were 40% lighter than the equivalent seibon parts... a seibon hood was 7-8kg, mine were 4...and after years and years in the sun, no discoloration. but i was getting quality materials for me, while the chinese....
Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #245
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
well, the only carbon that is light and looks good needs an autoclave. if you want maximum lightweight with conventional methods (vacuum bagging) you might get pinholes , that means the surface might get tiny air bubbles between the weaves. but methods and materials are always getting better and better. the perfect carbon you see on F1 etc are pre-preg carbon, they come frozen with the resin already impregnated within, and thats why you can cut them and place them by hand, and then they get vacuum bagged, AND pressurized to 7 bar within the heated oven (autoclave) thats why they look so flat and perfect. that's too much quality for us...heheh. but you can make a similar part with vacuum bagging with 30% more weight. so what, heh. already the parts i was making were 40% lighter than the equivalent seibon parts... a seibon hood was 7-8kg, mine were 4...and after years and years in the sun, no discoloration. but i was getting quality materials for me, while the chinese....

Awesome, I understand you know a thing or two about this. I hae read about most of what you mentioned but I am not so experienced physically.

could you pm me your facebook add or some other way for easy contact?

Cheers
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #246
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

maximum low. New oilpan for drysump is super thin, and I'ce vut down about 20mm into the subframe and lowered engine into.

Engine is now 94mm lower than stock, compared to a 98 S14a my friend got.

Will make new manifold, old one is crashing with subframe and I want the turbo lower and placed a little further forward in the enginebay so it does not crash with the strut tower as for now. bigger update later
Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #247
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Today i sold the entire shit-ride for 50$... Hate this thing.. BIGFELLA!!!!!!

"forumrape"

Last edited by Teigen; 11-02-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Teigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #248
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry for the last post, didnt notice it before now. I forgot to log off a pc at work so this one idiot wanted to have some fun with me. Sorry for that. Update tonight
Old 11-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #249
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

decided to start making "tubs" made from 0,9mm sheet

simply spot welded it on the bottom, and just bent it to where i wanted it on the strut tower and spot welded it there too. than draw the rest of the guide lines for cutting, removed the sheet by cutting the few spot welds and cutted. looking pretty good IMO.

Also bought 2x Turbosmart 40mm wastegates, their on their way with the post

any comments? lots more to write but I'm at a slow internet connection so its taking forever to upload more pics.

will remove the dash and strip the car inside
then send it off to cagemaker. I considered making the cage myself but buying all pieces and a tool to bend the bars is not going to be cheaper than the offer I got for a finished cage ( 12000 NOK / 2000 USD)

EDIT:

strut brace tower is just a prototype, I just made it to sketch up things then later I can use it as a good guidance for the real one
Old 11-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #250
ferrariowner123
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ferrariowner123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks awesome, i still cant believe you managed to find a BTCC SR!!

Great progress, keep it up man, looks like your work situation got itself sorted?

-Kyle
ferrariowner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #251
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrariowner123 View Post
Looks awesome, i still cant believe you managed to find a BTCC SR!!

Great progress, keep it up man, looks like your work situation got itself sorted?

-Kyle
Thanks Kyle

Me neither And this winter I am going to Japan, looking on another rare SR20VET from Nismo

I now work as a aluminum welder for semi trucks and when its no welding to do I sell tires. Got deal with shop for nice price on Bridgestone slicks
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #252
ferrariowner123
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teigen View Post
Thanks Kyle

Me neither And this winter I am going to Japan, looking on another rare SR20VET from Nismo

I now work as a aluminum welder for semi trucks and when its no welding to do I sell tires. Got deal with shop for nice price on Bridgestone slicks
Nice, i need to get into welding, just start practicing, that's the key i take it? lol Practice, practice, practice!!

And have fun in Japan, i want to go SO bad, hopefully if i can keep my job (seasonal) i think i'm going to start making plans to going.

Why another SR? why not just put that money towards this SR? I'm not knocking the idea, im just curious.

-Kyle
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #253
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Nice, i need to get into welding, just start practicing, that's the key i take it? lol Practice, practice, practice!!

And have fun in Japan, i want to go SO bad, hopefully if i can keep my job (seasonal) i think i'm going to start making plans to going.

Why another SR? why not just put that money towards this SR? I'm not knocking the idea, im just curious.

-Kyle
Yeah, practice a lot :-) that is rule number one. And make it very clean before you weld, specially aluminum.

Another Sr from Nismo that is a must-have :-P its might going into tubeframe s15 I plan in the future

Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #254
ferrariowner123
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Yeah, practice a lot :-) that is rule number one. And make it very clean before you weld, specially aluminum.

Another Sr from Nismo that is a must-have :-P its might going into tubeframe s15 I plan in the future

Okay, i got a cheap little flux core that i can hopefully get a decent feel for it and then move on to "gets the job done" tig welder, those things are ridiculously expensive!!

And i guess when you put it that way, i would fly all the way to japan for a one off or limited run engine too, lol

One question i did have, was on your dry sump system, i know nothing about these, do you have a source that lays out how they work and how to go about fabbing your own? I'm just curious, if you don't, ill find it on my own, im just looking for a "Bible" on dry sumps, you know?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my posts.

-Kyle
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #255
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:

did you get the gt300 engine?

if you did, did you get it with all the spare parts?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #256
inte_DK

inte_DK is an unknown quantity at this point
cage... just a thought

Nissan 200SX S14 Multipoint Roll Cage - Custom Cages Ltd, UK
inte_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #257
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inte_DK View Post

Hey man,thanks!

Looking really good. Do you have any experience with those?
I guess you get the parts for the cage sent to you? and weld in yourself?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #258
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Okay, i got a cheap little flux core that i can hopefully get a decent feel for it and then move on to "gets the job done" tig welder, those things are ridiculously expensive!!

And i guess when you put it that way, i would fly all the way to japan for a one off or limited run engine too, lol

One question i did have, was on your dry sump system, i know nothing about these, do you have a source that lays out how they work and how to go about fabbing your own? I'm just curious, if you don't, ill find it on my own, im just looking for a "Bible" on dry sumps, you know?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my posts.

-Kyle
no problem
I began my first tig welding some years ago with a Chinese TIG welder that costed me about 7000 Norwegian Kroners (1200 US dollars) and it works ok if you know/find out how to put the settings. my new Migatronic welder was a lot more expensive and costed me just over 30,000 Norwegian Kroners ( 5100 US dollars). Steep price but its a drem to use, and I sort of felt I had to have a welder that looked a little more professional. Also I will start making and selling Intake manifolds and Oil catch cans etc/ other tuning products or re-builds of peoples intercooler end tanks etc.

About Dry Sump its something I've got in mind, based on what I've read and understood on my own. I'm sure you can find a source online somewhere, googling is often the answer to many problems I've found out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
did you get the gt300 engine?

if you did, did you get it with all the spare parts?
It's not mine yet. BUt If i buy it (which is most possibly happening) Ill take it with the spares, actually I am forced to take the spares too, as Nismo have the parts and engines put as classified information and can only be owned by one person. not spread around, I think I am not allowed to resell or post too much photos, thats why I deleted my previous posts about the engine/components.

the price is high, we're talking about 67,000 US dollars + 25% tax and shipping of a 20ft container is estimated
86,598 US dollars which is a huge amount of money, at least for me as I am not a millionare :P

Hopefully I can make it work somehow, thats at least my highest wish for now in my life.

peace
Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #259
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
You seem to be going in circles my friend. In my humblest of opinions, you need to focus on the job at hand, get it done, and THEN upgrade.

It's your car, i'm not trying to tell you what to do, just a suggestion
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #260
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
You seem to be going in circles my friend. In my humblest of opinions, you need to focus on the job at hand, get it done, and THEN upgrade.

It's your car, i'm not trying to tell you what to do, just a suggestion
Yeah, I know Darren. And I know I am not building it by the book. the build is a whole large mess, but in the end it will be pretty ok, at least after all it should put faster laptimes than a stock silvia haha, if not i start building lawnmovers or something :P Thing about the Nismo engine is that its maybe the biggest dream in my life, and I only have this chance. there is not any single day that I dont think about how to find the money quick and get it. my friends say that for the money I've spent so far I could have just bought a gt2 Porche turbo and drive timeattack without lifting a finger but I like my Nissan very much and I hope that some year I can have it done, or be like what I have in my mind
Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #261
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I'd have to agree with Darren, Teigen. You're all over the place and at times I think you are living outside of your means. I am in no way judging you, but I do know what it's like to get caught up in the hype. I think you need to sit down, scribe out a list of where you'd like the build to go and prioritize them. Nothing has to be done over night.

I believe many of us would love to own a piece of Nissan history to an extent, but honestly what's the point? Just to say you own it? I sure as hell wouldn't go out beating on it, let alone swap it into a "street" car. Too much money on the line for me to risk burning it down in a blaze of glory.

Carry on my friend.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #262
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I'd have to agree with Darren, Teigen. You're all over the place and at times I think you are living outside of your means. I am in no way judging you, but I do know what it's like to get caught up in the hype. I think you need to sit down, scribe out a list of where you'd like the build to go and prioritize them. Nothing has to be done over night.

I believe many of us would love to own a piece of Nissan history to an extent, but honestly what's the point? Just to say you own it? I sure as hell wouldn't go out beating on it, let alone swap it into a "street" car. Too much money on the line for me to risk burning it down in a blaze of glory.

Carry on my friend.

Yes I agree. I am caught up and my feelings are one minute to get the car drivable and then 15 mins later i think about the nismo engine. big problem haha. If I buy the Nismo engine I'll put it into a planned semi/full tubeframe car and hook up with some real parts for racing. If i buy the engine I have deal with Endless and another company for sponsorship of tubeframe car.
actually its 4 engines, 1 complete and enough spares to build 3 others. its a bit different from normal cast, both head and block they said had differen structure for cooling etc.

my btcc engine only need bearings, then I can assemble the engine. besides that I got mostly everything besides a ecu to test start the engine
Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #263
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow this thing is impressive! I love it.

Its crazy that you have been doing this without a job for the majority of the build.
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #264
Darren
Zilvia Addict

Darren is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yeah, I know Darren. And I know I am not building it by the book. the build is a whole large mess, but in the end it will be pretty ok, at least after all it should put faster laptimes than a stock silvia haha, if not i start building lawnmovers or something :P Thing about the Nismo engine is that its maybe the biggest dream in my life, and I only have this chance. there is not any single day that I dont think about how to find the money quick and get it. my friends say that for the money I've spent so far I could have just bought a gt2 Porche turbo and drive timeattack without lifting a finger but I like my Nissan very much and I hope that some year I can have it done, or be like what I have in my mind
It's all good man, it's your life, and i'm not trying to say what you're doing is any less correct than anyone else, i just get the feeling that you might have gotten sidetracked

Also, i'd like to see some burnouts haha
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #265
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatemy7 View Post
Wow this thing is impressive! I love it.

Its crazy that you have been doing this without a job for the majority of the build.
Thank you I'm impressed myself, mostly about that I don`t have any loans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
It's all good man, it's your life, and i'm not trying to say what you're doing is any less correct than anyone else, i just get the feeling that you might have gotten sidetracked

Also, i'd like to see some burnouts haha

no problem, I agreed to you and i am a bit sidetracked, also often I find out something which would be even more awesome to have, after i spent lots of time doing a different thing a day earlier :P Much money and time wasted..

Hope to do a test burnout in 2014 summer

Also curious about how much this engine will deliver. and how long it will hold, as it doesnt have mounted rockerarms like VE. Could blow up entire engine already in Dyno when trying 2.5 bar which is what I am prepared to boost
Old 12-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #266
RB2.5

RB2.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
hehe yeah

Adaptronic is a far better and advanced ECU system, its one of the better there Is i've heard. For myself i've been into 4 Autronic installations and usage and cannot say anything else than great.

Thanks, i cannot wait myself!

UPDATE:

As many other's here are writing, things have been going very slow for me as well. Mainly because of other more important things and healt, as well as helping others with their cars.

A little thing I've been doing is having made a decision that I need a Cooling system for the gearbox. Some might say this in unnecessary but It will not do any damage either!

So I found a medium sized Oil cooler in my cooling shelf and thought it would be a good size, not too large or small.

The pump is a space S15 diff cooler pump, I guess it will be a nice pump, it isnt very heavy either and Hitachi usually is a good brand. It looks rusty but I'll spend some hours working on it and then paint and polish. Hopefully it will turn out good. Still not decided on if I am mounting the cooler behind the front wheel of the intake side, or flat with 2 small fans next to the gearbox. Also I could mount it in front but I dislike having too long oil lines, the longer the more vulnerable.

Just hooked on the new IC for my brothers Volvo 242, it's a quite large cooler.
630x350x101mm
Just hung it there to check how a even larger cooler would fit on my car. It will be very tight with anything larger but I will manage to squeeze some more in there I was also thinking of having a ice-water cooling setup of the air, to make the compressed air even colder than the intake temperature. Anyway I dont have the money for it, nor place to have a cooling machine of the water or extra tank. + it would gain some more weight to my car.

Besides I've been helping a mate making a Intake for an old Volvo 8v turbo motor.

Everything we machined/ fabricated. Only thing missing is welding it together, which buyer wanted to do himself to save some money.

Cheers!

Feel free to comment
Amazing work! Can't wait to see it all finished!
RB2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #267
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Lockiess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry if this has been asked already but what exactly is the BTCC SR20 head? Is it sort of like a VVL head or not quite?

Awesome build by the way
Lockiess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #268
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockiess15 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked already but what exactly is the BTCC SR20 head? Is it sort of like a VVL head or not quite?

Awesome build by the way
its been explained pretty thoroughly in this thread, maybe you should READ instead of post.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #269
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Lockiess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry if this has been asked already

I did state that but all good
Lockiess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 AM   #270
Teigen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockiess15 View Post

Awesome build by the way
rare version nissan sr20 head
flows very well
produced between 320-340 crank hp, in the first era it did 280 hp but then nissan cut the head into 3 pieces and switched sides so the fwd mounted sr20 had the intake facing towards front of engine, then produced up to 340 crank hp.

plan is to dryno it this autumn, carbon shaft and drag axles on the way, carbon diff installed. Ordered new custom Borg Warner turbo with latest tech and triple cera bearings.

Besides i am working on my other project that I hope to spin with this year,
Finally found a KA24DE in europe, so next weekend having a roadtrip to Denmark to pick it up.

Its going in my 70s Toyota Starlet.

Old Sellholm rallycar, custom arms in front with uniballs, all adjustable:

the shell:

Old camaro racing rims from the 80s, each has it own direction to draw air onto brakes.

Simple dash

custom built coilovers from uk

Wilwood "BBK"

Dana 1031 with truetrack

Billett support

no need for wattlink so did panhard adjustable

tilton box

originally rallycar, weight 750 kg with original nissan rally engine.

ANyway wont be going on the road much,

KA24 with new internals, and maybe cams.
going to make an intake and buy a ebay exhaust mani and gt35 turbo.

Will be used mainly to have fun, plan is lots of antilag and launch control.
Never seen a KA24 engine in my life before but will be fun hehe.

Need to find a z32 box and adaption plate + clutch and bucket seat. then car is ready

about the nissan i need to win a lottery lol.
latest parts for the silvia is 32x Magnesium 18"11,5" rims, 12 Nismo gt3/500 and 20x SSR centre bolt.

Billett friend of mine makes me centre bolt hubs