Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Computer idiot with 1000 bucks and no computer.

I live in a small apartment, know nothing about computers, and have 1000 bucks to spend on one. I only use the computer for surfing the net, saving pictures, and writing research papers (meaning i need to print too)

I like the idea of buying a laptop and using an HDMI cable while at home to use my flatscreen tv as the monitor. Any downside to that? I just dont like the idea of squinting at a laptop during 6-8 hr study sessions. Sound good?

I also considered a netbook, but that seems too small, and so far, i haven't heard of any with HDMI capabilities.

Suggestions? I dont need anything super fancy, but like quality. A full size computer would really make my small apartment even more tight. Suggestions?
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There are a lot of laptops out there to meet your needs from various manufacturers. I'm alittle bias, but I really like HP laptops (because I use to own one). I've been eyeing the Acer Timeline series, but I'm waiting until Windows 7 is officially released.

Here is what I'm waiting for from Acer: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10282121-1.html

Have you checked out local stores?

As for the TV as a monitor...that is a good idea, just make sure you buy a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Lenovo Outlet - Laptops & netbooks

A. Lenovos are awesome
B. Refurbs are a good way to save money

For $1k and your goals I'd look for a 15" one... wait, nevermind. Just look for a Dell with HDMI.
Don't get a netbook, they suck for main computer use - the screen resolution is too small and you're scrolling all over the place. I've had a HP Mini 1000 for about 5 months now, it's nice, but it's not right for you.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
I LUV MY S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
I LUV MY S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
lap top is the best way to go imo...1000 bucks will get u a nice one too

-Jorge
I LUV MY S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post
I only use the computer for surfing the net, saving pictures, and writing research papers (meaning i need to print too)
You don't need a 1000 for this.

HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - Bronze - dv7-1448dx

It has an HDMI output And it comes with a Windows 7 upgrade. This is basically what you need, and almost half of the money you are willing to pay. If anyone says anything about it having an AMD processor tell them to STFU, the performance difference between the two is pretty much only noticeable if you are doing heavy CAD Ansys, or gaming.

You can also check Ebay for this same laptop it will probably be cheaper, and may or may not come with W7 upgrade.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
1: get a 200 dollar netbook.
2: spend the rest on hookers and blow
3: ???
4: PROFIT
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexPanda View Post
1: get a 200 dollar netbook.
2: spend the rest on hookers and blow
3: ???
4: PROFIT
I like this.

But yea. Laptop. HDMI. Win.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
you could probably get a decent laptop for $500.
get a decent 24" monitor for around $250 for writing those papers.
get a external 1gig hard disk for $100.
get a keyboard, mouse, & hdmi cable for $50-70.

If you're willing to splurge a little,
the 'Hanns-G' 27.5" monitor for around $350 is a fair deal.
I've have it for a few months & love it a lot.
It definitely good enough for watching movies on my desk.

I have a similar setup in my room.
basically have a laptop hooked up to a larger 21" monitor, full size keyboard/mouse, external hd, & better 2.1 speaker setup.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
gotta240
Post Whore!

gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Thank you SIMPLES14 (i was hoping you'd respond, as i find you often think with similar reasoning as myself), CHIBO, and FUTURES14, and RONMCDON. Great suggestions/starting place.

The wireless keyboard and mouse is a GREAT IDEA!!!! That would make the whole HDMI thing much more useable!

Ronmcdon- Just curious why you suggest getting a large monitor instead of just using my 50" flatscreen from my couch? I dont really have a "desk" at my apartment and dont need a great sound system or anything. Am i overlooking something that you are seeing?

I have been to the store to look at laptops/netbooks, but i just get pissed off, confused, and leave. I am so "behind the times" with computers that its frustrating. I would probably have an easier time purse shopping.

Thanks again and if any more ideas come to mind, please let me know.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Don't shop at local stores for computers, you're going to end up getting suckered and paying a lot more than you should.

Future240 linked a decent compromise, I had a 17" dell - it's such a huge screen for a laptop, but if you're not going to be carrying the thing around or needing to run off battery it's great.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Iv had my dell for 3 years now and love it
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Go to Best Buy and purchase a reputable system/laptop that suits you.
Plus you can make payments on it.

All the Dell laptops I have used have had something dumb go wrong though. I will most likely never get a Dell again, but that is just personal preference.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
gotta240
Post Whore!

http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336121849&bid=3381288&cid=0&url=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D94 45718%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D1218105504639

Sincerely, thank you guys for the replies! I cant even express how computer-retarded i am! Does anyone have a better solution for the 500-600 price range than the HP laptop above by future240? Or should i go with that one? (please keep the requirements in post one in mind). Anyone have a problem with refurbished HPs?

Edit- it says its NOT bluetooth enabled... Does that mean i cant use wireless printers, laptops, mouse?
Do any laptops these days use 3G? Or do i have to buy one of those wireless chips like 5 years ago?

THANK YOU!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
I've been eyeing the Acer Timeline series.
From what I have heard they have weak video cards. My friend has a lenovo and thats a awesome netbook
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Edit- it says its NOT bluetooth enabled... Does that mean i cant use wireless printers, laptops, mouse?
Do any laptops these days use 3G? Or do i have to buy one of those wireless chips like 5 years ago?THANK YOU!
Just connect your printer to your wireless network and it should work fine, just be sure to have a printer that can work in this situation. wireless keyboards and mice don't use bluetooth most of the time. Usually you plug a small USB receiver into the computer and it broadcasts that way
Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #16
kdashy
Zilvia FREAK!

kdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kdashy
Quote:
Ronmcdon- Just curious why you suggest getting a large monitor instead of just using my 50" flatscreen from my couch? I dont really have a "desk" at my apartment and dont need a great sound system or anything. Am i overlooking something that you are seeing?
Watching a movie or playing games from a computer to a TV is great, but they usually cant display small text well because the resolution/size ratio of TVs are way lower than monitors.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdashy View Post
Watching a movie or playing games from a computer to a TB is great, but they usually cant display small text well because the resolution of TVs are way lower than monitors.
Unless he has an HD TV running at 1080p which is what my monitor is running at now.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
jimmytango00
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (14)
jimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmytango00
Apple...... the end.
jimmytango00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo View Post
Don't shop at local stores for computers, you're going to end up getting suckered and paying a lot more than you should.
I mentioned the part about checking out the local stores to get a good idea on the look and feel of a laptop. You're bound to find better deals online.

Quote:
Does anyone have a better solution for the 500-600 price range than the HP laptop above by future240? Or should i go with that one? (please keep the requirements in post one in mind). Anyone have a problem with refurbished HPs?
I like HP and have nothing against a refurbished unit. My only grip with that laptop is the bronze finish...too bling, but that is me. Either way, it's a REALLY nice laptop and I can't find one with similar specs for that price. Check it out at a local Best Buy and see if you like it.

Quote:
Do any laptops these days use 3G? Or do i have to buy one of those wireless chips like 5 years ago?
Every laptop has a wifi chip so you can connect to a wireless wifi network. "3G" is something completely different...it's what cellphone companies use for internet service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_Kouki View Post
From what I have heard they have weak video cards. My friend has a lenovo and thats a awesome netbook
That might be true. However, for what the OP wants to do the supplied video chipset should be adequate.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #20
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Go to Best Buy and purchase a reputable system/laptop that suits you.
Plus you can make payments on it.

All the Dell laptops I have used have had something dumb go wrong though. I will most likely never get a Dell again, but that is just personal preference.
Quote:
HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor - Bronze - dv7-1448dx

Sincerely, thank you guys for the replies! I cant even express how computer-retarded i am! Does anyone have a better solution for the 500-600 price range than the HP laptop above by future240? Or should i go with that one? (please keep the requirements in post one in mind). Anyone have a problem with refurbished HPs?

THANK YOU!
For the 500-600 range, I think that's about right for the features you'd get.
I'm slightly more impartial to Gateway, Dell, and Asus (had better exp with those than HP).

Agreed with Matej about Best Buy, esp if you're on a more limited budget.

The 6 month zero interest offer works out great for me.
I did the same.
A few months ago I purchased an Asus laptop for 1,200-ish.
Think it's this model, although I recall it was $100 cheaper
Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - G71GX-RX05

I just pay it off, paying $200-ish every month for 6 months.
It's convenient not having to front so much $$$ up front.
Just skip their dumb maintenance plans.

All things equal, I would inquire about this option of purchasing a laptop.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #21
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Wait until Windows 7 comes out.

I would NOT recommend a Netbook as a primary PC. For notebooks, I recommend HP (anything from their business line, not their consumer line). Lenovo Thinkpads is the line that was formerly IBM and very good. See the T and R series.

Stay the FUCK away from Dell, and I'm going to say Acer as well as I've had to deal with that POS brand lately too.

TEST the laptops material for quality. How? Grab at the corners and try to flex it. Lots of flex = crap. A laptop is a lot like a cellphone, if it feels cheap you are not going to like it in the long run. You want it to stand up to wear and tear, its going to happen. And make sure the keyboard has a damn Windows key if you're going to be using Windows (biggest annoyance ever!). Check the feel of the trackpad. Check keyboard tactile feedback.

I've bought and sold refurbished HPs, no complaints.

I would not recommend buying anything locally, buy it online. You can still get financing from the companies directly through their outlets. I do recommend trying to find the model you will buy online locally first so that you can see how it feels.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytango00 View Post
Apple...... the end.
A computer illiterate person does not need a mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
Wait until Windows 7 comes out.

I would NOT recommend a Netbook as a primary PC. For notebooks, I recommend HP (anything from their business line, not their consumer line). Lenovo Thinkpads is the line that was formerly IBM and very good. See the T and R series.

Stay the FUCK away from Dell, and I'm going to say Acer as well as I've had to deal with that POS brand lately too.

TEST the laptops material for quality. How? Grab at the corners and try to flex it. Lots of flex = crap. A laptop is a lot like a cellphone, if it feels cheap you are not going to like it in the long run. You want it to stand up to wear and tear, its going to happen. And make sure the keyboard has a damn Windows key if you're going to be using Windows (biggest annoyance ever!). Check the feel of the trackpad. Check keyboard tactile feedback.

I've bought and sold refurbished HPs, no complaints.

I would not recommend buying anything locally, buy it online. You can still get financing from the companies directly through their outlets. I do recommend trying to find the model you will buy online locally first so that you can see how it feels.

Good luck.

I have a few problems with this post. First off most PC's including the one I posted will give you a Windows 7 upgrade for free. I cannot speak for Dell laptops, but I have owned and know people who have owned Acer Laptops and their prodcuts are good. I am using one of their desktops and monitors at the moment. I've never seen a keyboard without a windows key, and that more than likely would not be an issue anyways.

I do agree on the not using a netbook as a primary computer, not buying locally, (unless it is a best buy), and checking the track pad and keyboard feedback.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #23
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytango00 View Post
Apple...... the end.
No.

$999 gets you a basic Macbook... then he needs to buy the overpriced MiniDVI to HDMI cable.
13" screen
2.13GHz
2GB DDR2 Memory
160GB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Single Layer DVD RW

That HP is $529
It is:
17" screen
2.2GHz
4GB DDR2 Memory
320GB hard drive
Radeon HD 3200
Dual layer DVD RW

To bring the Apple up to spec just on ram/hdd/cable it comes to $1218. Then you need a dual layer DVD RW. Nothing personal, I am not an Apple fan. Never was, never will.
My only complaint is that the resolution on that HP sucks shit for the size of it (1440 x 900, should be 1920x1200) but then again, I am a screen space whore with dual 24" LCDs that run 1920x1080 each.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #24
adrians_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (29)
adrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfectionadrians_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to adrians_s13
I bought this from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago: Asus U81a for $629.99+tax.

If you haven't heard about ASUS, you better ask someone lol

Product Features (copied from BestBuy website)

* Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T6500
Features 2 processing cores, 800MHz system bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.1GHz processor speed per core.
* Two high-performance processing cores
To run multiple demanding applications simultaneously without hesitation.
* 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 memory
For multitasking power.
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
* 14" WXGA LED-backlit widescreen display
With a 1366 x 768 resolution brings your movies and games to life.
* 320GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.
* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD graphics
With shared video memory for powerful graphic performance. Azalia audio chip with built-in Altec Lansing stereo speakers; HDMI output.
* Built-in 1.3-megapixel webcam
Makes it easy to send video mail to family and friends.
* Facial recognition security
Uses the built-in webcam and software to help keep your laptop safe.
* 8-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, miniSD, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo for easy transfer of your digital photos.
* 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
* Built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
Ensures easy Internet connectivity.
* Weighs 4.7 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
For easy portability.

Oh and what it doesn't mention... both 1 VGA and 1 HDMI output

-----
so far, just one complaint, facial recognition still doesn't recognize me (oh and I hate Vista... but it does come with a free Windows 7 Home upgrade once released), but other than that, I love it...
Old 09-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #25
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

^^ That display and video 'card' makes me cry

Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

I like the Gateway NV5214u at Best Buy.
Price is good @ $499 for the features.
Only con is that its a bit heavier at almost 7 lbs.

Has the HDMI & Bluetooth out.
# AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-64 dual-core CPU (2.1GHz)
# 15.6-inch screen (1366×768 resolution)
# Vista Home Premium 64-bit
# 4GB DDR2 RAM
# 320GB SATA hard drive
# 802.11b/g/n
# ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics
# Six-cell battery
# 8x DVD burner
# Four USB ports, HDMI, VGA out, card reader
# Weight: 6.82 pounds

review
Review: Gateway NV5214u 15.6-inch notebook

Gateway - Laptop with AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor - NV5214u
Old 09-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #27
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

What the hell is with these shitty resolutions? I assume it's because they are budget computers and they don't put decent panels in them?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #28
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Yeah they really are odd-ball resolutions.
My laptop has that same 1366 x 768.
On such a small size screen, I doubt it would matter much.
Honestly don't know how ppl got by using primative 15" VGA monitors back in the day.

I just plug it into a larger monitor and change the resolution to 1600x1200.
Monitors are so cheap nowadays anyhow.
Small keyboards & those mouse touch pad thingies are torture as well.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #29
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
Yeah they really are odd-ball resolutions.
My laptop has that same 1366 x 768.
On such a small size screen, I doubt it would matter much.
Honestly don't know how ppl got by using primative 15" VGA monitors back in the day.

I just plug it into a larger monitor and change the resolution to 1600x1200.
Monitors are so cheap nowadays anyhow.
People weren't doing as much at one time, nor were there people posting huge pictures on forums all the time.
Resolution is honestly the first thing I look for in laptops/monitors.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #30
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Sorry forgot you posted this.

Funny you asked there was that same discussion a few months back.
Here's the link;
http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/2...r-monitor.html

I had wanted to do the same, albeit with a more modest 40" 1080p LCD TV.
Actually, I did end up hooking my computer to my brother's 50" 1080 plasma.
Eventually I ended up just getting a 27.5" computer monitor and was happy with that.

The TV would be great for watching movies, tv, and maybe playing PC games.
The thing is, as mentioned prior on this thread buy other posters, the resolution settings for a hdtv @ 1080p is still a good deal lower than your average monitor.
I'm running a slightly higher 1920x1200 resolution on my 27.5" and its absolutely perfect for doing research, writing papers, etc.
It's almost like running a dual monitor setup.

Typing is pretty tiring on a large screen at lower resolution.
Maybe a 40" at 1080p would be fine.
Could be that 50" works out good for you too.
Just make sure your computer's video card supports that resolution.

About the sound system, I just mentioned I have it for myself.
I didn't imply you need something like that.