Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
RHDintegXSI
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
RHDintegXSI is making a name for him/her selfRHDintegXSI is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i broke my subframe stud HELP!

in attempting to install subframe spacers in my s13 i broke one of the studs to the subframe. the problem is, i believe its welded to the shell as i cannot get to the other end of it.

pics are worth a thousand cursing words

if anyone has any idea how to fix this i would greatly appreciate it
89 Nissan 240sx Coupe current

YES my other cars a HONDA
RHDintegXSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
cut the section out, put a new thread pictch stud through, but it will have to be longer. Sandwich the stud in by two 6"x6" plates, like installing a rollcage. You can probably bolt in, but welding is alot better.

Yes curse words plenty.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Lith
Zilvia Member

Lith will become famous soon enoughLith will become famous soon enoughLith will become famous soon enoughLith will become famous soon enoughLith will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Lith Send a message via AIM to Lith Send a message via MSN to Lith Send a message via Yahoo to Lith
the stud isn't actually welded to the body. It is pressed in and you can take it out. However, it's a bitch and you would have to cut a little piece of metal out from under your rear seats to take the bolt out.
A friend of mine was in the same situation as you and he basically hammered the stud out (with a LOT of force).
You could also weld in a new stud in the same spot, but you would have to cut that one out first.
Either way you will have to completely take the subframe out to do all this. That is, if you want to fix this properly.
Lith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #4
johngriff
Post Whore!

johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
had bad luck repressing these in, they just spun when attempting to reinstall the nut.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
chmercer
BANNED

chmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond repute
maybe you could drill out the rusty stud and tap the hole for a bolt? maybe? throwing out ideas.
chmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
johngriff
Post Whore!

that is a good one, but then i would be worried about how well of a tap you are going to get out of it, because id/od issue. If you are pimp shit, you could probably fill it with tig or mig, then redrill, then retap, that might come out clean.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
DoriftoPnoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
DoriftoPnoy is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
haha that's cool. i know someone with a s13 and rhd DA. thot you were him but looks like your in san deezy. yea try drilling out the stud with a reverse drill bit (not sure if its threaded in there to do that....) and get a tap and die set. shit works wonders when i strip the theads on some bolts...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
RHDintegXSI
Leaky Injector

RHDintegXSI is making a name for him/her selfRHDintegXSI is making a name for him/her self
PHP Code:
haha that's cool. i know someone with a s13 and rhd DA 
haha sounds like he has really good taste in cars j/p

anyhow this is where i stand after a couple of hours and a whole lotta sweet talking

i had to drill a 2" hole to gain acces to the top of the stud.

its FINALLY out!

that thing is huge (thats what she said)... i hope i can get a replacment at the stealership

i hope noone else has to go through the pain in the ass i had to. if anyone could get me a part number on the part that would be great. i have no idea how to find a parts list/diagram
89 Nissan 240sx Coupe current

YES my other cars a HONDA
RHDintegXSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
i would press it in and nail er with the mig so she dont turn - and go back to town - get a 2in rubber plug like some trucks have in their beds for the holes the chassis harness goes through - or somethin from home depot to cover that hole

or if u wanna be all martha stewart u can like cut a peice of foam or a hard sponge to put in there :P
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
S13 Charlie
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
S13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S13 Charlie
Find a user by the name of Justified 2.4. He works at a dealership here in So Cal. He helps out with all kinds of oem replacement parts. Glad to see you got this sorted out without too much trouble.
S13 Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
spinktodo

spinktodo is an unknown quantity at this point
If anyone knows how this repair went or if that stud is available from Nissan, please let me know ASAP. I broke the very same bolt tonight and I'm searching for solutions... I'm pretty pissed off but I guess it could be worse. Luckly I have a spare beater Buick for times like this, but it still sucks ass... My shells so clean and I haven't had any problems with thing seizing thus far, so I can't believe this happened...

Thanks,

Jordan
spinktodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
ho1ywars
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
ho1ywars is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
cut the stud right after it tapers to a thread. pick up and 3/8 - 16 tap. drill out the entire stud straight down the center and tap it. go to the local hardware store and pick up a 3/8 harden bolt. when your looking for bolts your going to find that you cant get one that is entirely threaded. so you have to drill some clearence into the stuff to make up for the part of the bolt that isn't threaded.. if this makes any sense.

i launch at 4.5 grand at the track and have not had a problem yet..
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
spinktodo

That sounds a lot harder than getting the replacement stud and pressing it in... Can you not order a replacement stud? Also, wouldn't pressing the old bold out and welding a new bolt in work?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
roycenagger

roycenagger is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to Carfiche.com:
http://carfiche.com/fiche009/
Plug in 4-E-13
See if that looks like what you're after. I can't be sure.
Here are the numbers I got:
75660-42F00
75661-42F00
75650-42F00

-Royce
roycenagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
spinktodo

Hmm, I'm not sure of what I'm looking at since these drawings are kinda bad, but I'm thinking it's 75662 and 75663... I'm not seeing the part numbers you're referring to...
Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
roycenagger

roycenagger is an unknown quantity at this point
You have to click on the 'down' to scroll to the prefix number listed on the diagram.
Click on the drawing to enlarge the diagram.

The rear studs appear to be prefix number 74870.
Then scroll down until you find 74870.
To the right will be the complete part #.
Click on the page to enlarge for easier reading. (Click a second time for max zoom).

-Royce
roycenagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
swayray
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
swayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmercer View Post
maybe you could drill out the rusty stud and tap the hole for a bolt? maybe? throwing out ideas.
that worked for me too...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
spinktodo

Well, I called the dealer and it would appear that they don't just sell the stud alone, either that or they can't find it or something.... So that pretty much sucks, I guess the plan at this point is to knock the old stud out, find a nice grade 8 bolt and put that in... but I have a few questions...

What's the huge advantage to drilling and tapping the hole for the new bolt? Why cant I just get something in the same length and pitch and put that in, then just weld it at the top?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
jc
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
jc will become famous soon enoughjc will become famous soon enoughjc will become famous soon enoughjc will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good luck with your endeavors. I was in a similar predicament awhile back with a hatchback shell I was building up. In the end I found it not worth the effort and sold the thing off and moved on to a better coupe shell.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
swayray
Premium Member

swayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfectionswayray is close to perfection
there is no advantage... if you can still get something in the same length and pitch and put that in, then just weld it at the top... then do it...

mine completely broke and screwed up the hole which is why i had to tap a bigger hole and use a thicker stud...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #21
spinktodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc View Post
Good luck with your endeavors. I was in a similar predicament awhile back with a hatchback shell I was building up. In the end I found it not worth the effort and sold the thing off and moved on to a better coupe shell.

Dude, why do people feel the need to say shit like that? If you're not going to help me than don't talk... My shells clean as hell, one bolt broke... It happens... The fact that you gave up because one bolt broke up shows a lot about your car knowledge...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
jc
Leaky Injector

jc will become famous soon enoughjc will become famous soon enoughjc will become famous soon enoughjc will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinktodo View Post
Dude, why do people feel the need to say shit like that? If you're not going to help me than don't talk... My shells clean as hell, one bolt broke... It happens... The fact that you gave up because one bolt broke up shows a lot about your car knowledge...
LOL. I didn't say you should sell your shell, just was saying what I did.

The hatchback shell I had was from Mass. and had terrible corrosion issues to begin with and in the strip down process to renew the chassis the bolt broke and in a sense broke the camel's back as well.

I realize you're angry but I was actually encouraging you to continue; sorry if you didn't get it.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #23
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
hm..
i have this same issue, except on the rear stud.

obviously, rear studs arent like the front two.
and i'm stumped.
babowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #24
eastcoastS14
Post Whore!

eastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to eastcoastS14
what did ppl use to get these bolts out in the first place? I was putting all my weight into mine and it wouldnt budge at all
eastcoastS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #25
spinktodo

I haven't actually gotten mine out yet... I'm kinda worried about that part as I'm sure it's stuck pretty good. My Dad had a good idea though; get a punch or bolt about the same size as the stud, then then put it up inside the bushing on the stud... then use a jack and push the stud up that way... use the weight of the car to force it up... That might work.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #26
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
probably just a BFH and plenty of lube and torch if necessary.
babowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #27
spinktodo

I dunno, I'm a little hesitant to use the torch seeing as the gas tank is kinda close and i tend to get carried away with fire...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #28
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hurry and get that stud out, so that you know how and then, get a replacement from the junkyard.
shinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #29
spinktodo

i think ill just do the grade 8 bolt thing... getting a 2nd hand stud is just asking for it to break again someday... grade 8, new, with a little got on anti seize = nice!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #30
swayray
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastS14 View Post
what did ppl use to get these bolts out in the first place? I was putting all my weight into mine and it wouldnt budge at all
wd40 - impact gun set to full... which is how i broke one of my studs...