Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #31
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
GUZZLE7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PBM coil overs arent bad coils i dont really know the specs on them but ive driven in a few cars with them and they ride good and drift fine. theres a really good suspension write up on here about camber caster toe roll center etc.. to start i would just make sure your car is aligned but when you lower your car your stock arm adjustments wont be able to adjust enough to eliminate all the camber created from lowering your car so just do the best u can until u buy aftermarket RUCAS and all your other suspension arms. dont fallow all these clowns with all their camber and hella flush garabage. u want as much tread on the ground in the rear as u can that way your car will catch when u let off and u will be able to transer and get more angle without spinning out so easy. and as far as the engine cooling goes i always change the water pump and thermostat on any new motor or car i buy and bleed the cooling system. look up the write up on how to bleed the ka motors its real simple. and if u have a good working fan your motor should have no problems staying cool with the stock setup, but if u really want to spend the money on a new radiator to be safe more power to you. just make sure most importantly your temp guage works. on my track car i have digital temp, oil pressure, boost, and air fuel ratio guage. u wanna know whats going down so u dont blow your sh*t. you should be fine in your ka as long as your temp guage works properly and maybe get an aftermarket temp guage if your feeling frisky.
best bet is finding a car on craigslist. i always bring a compression checker and check the compression before i purchase any car. i think the compression on ka's is suppose to be around 165 psi. the most important part is that they are all the same or within 5 psi of eachother. and then i look underneath the car and check the frame rails make sure the body isnt all tweaked out and check the radiator support and front end make sure it hasnt been in a wreck. you will see signs of it all tweaked in there if they tried to cover it up. lol even tho i think every 240 ive bought has been in a front end collision or has had the rediator support swapped out. a lot are going to be like that lol. fire the motor up and listen to the motor make sure its not knocking. i always hold it at 2000rpm and listen for knock or timing chain rattle. and remember every 240sx is OBO lol so bargain with that bitch dont let him add on drift tax to the price. keep it around $2000
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #32
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
OMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
1. Save up your 5k budget
2. Buy preswapped drift machine
3. Clutch-kick into a tree
4. ??????
5. Profit
Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #33
new2sr20
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
new2sr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Yeah, he's totally serious. Civics are best for drifting...

Your "kind-of wishlist" sucks BTW.

Look, we see this EXACT SAME THREAD once a month. You really need to invest more of your time learning a lot of stuff. Make zilvia a part of your daily routine. Search here and on google for "drift car setup" and "drifting techniques" and start to develop a basic knowledge of what you want to do. Once you've got a basic knowledge, go to some drift events, talk to people, learn stuff. You can't learn everything you want by posting a dumbass thread asking to be spoonfed information when you don't even really know what information you want or need. This doesn't happen overnight. It takes YEARS of dedication and research to become knowledgeable in what you want to know.

I would advise you to initially focus more on learning to ACTUALLY DRIVE the car before you just jump into drifting. Drifting is a driving technique, NOT a sport. It is not the first one you need to learn. Go to some trackdays and spend some time with their instructors. Get comfortable driving a car ACTUALLY FAST and develop some basic driving techniques. This basic foundation is necessary if you want to be any good at drifting.

damn Racepar1...thats the nicest thing Ive seen you say on zilvia...you going soft damnit!!!!!???
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #34
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sr20 View Post
damn Racepar1...thats the nicest thing Ive seen you say on zilvia...you going soft damnit!!!!!???
The kid is just so clueless. It's kind of like beating a puppy...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I am the old man now and I gave up drifting in the late 90s when the family came along. However, a built drift car to us had a differential, clutch, full bucket seat, shocks/spring upgrade (this was pre coilover proliferation era) and boost-up.

Looking in from he outside it seems like everyone now is trying to start off with a race car and trying to catch up skill-wise. As our skill level grew we improved our car to suit. Needless to say my cars never needed more than basic upgrades to handle the abuses I was able to put them through!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #36
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Garage View Post
I am the old man now and I gave up drifting in the late 90s when the family came along. However, a built drift car to us had a differential, clutch, full bucket seat, shocks/spring upgrade (this was pre coilover proliferation era) and boost-up.

Looking in from he outside it seems like everyone now is trying to start off with a race car and trying to catch up skill-wise. As our skill level grew we improved our car to suit. Needless to say my cars never needed more than basic upgrades to handle the abuses I was able to put them through!
Well put. Everyone seems to be in it to have a "rad" car and be one of the "cool guys". Back then it was more about learning the techniques and honing your skill than how JDM awesome your car was. That's the problem with drift kids now-a-days to me. Too much flash, not enough precision, no basic foundation to build on. Everyone just wants to jump right in head first immediately rather than having the patience and dedication to build a basic foundation of knowledge and skills to start with.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #37
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Exactly! /\/\/\/\ everyone thinks they need a cage and a supercharged LS and a wisefab kit and a 900mm wide body with a BCL wing just to go drifting.

Like that other dude said, clutch, diff, bucket, spring upgrade. Then SEAT TIME

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
tloh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
tloh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Well put. Everyone seems to be in it to have a "rad" car and be one of the "cool guys". Back then it was more about learning the techniques and honing your skill than how JDM awesome your car was. That's the problem with drift kids now-a-days to me. Too much flash, not enough precision, no basic foundation to build on. Everyone just wants to jump right in head first immediately rather than having the patience and dedication to build a basic foundation of knowledge and skills to start with.
+1 for this statement.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
when you find your desired s chassis its a good idea to focus on stiffening up the ride abit. Some 40 dollar front and rear strut tower bars work well.

Then welded diff if you on a budget. BUT... it sucks driving a welded diff at high speeds.... just loud and crappy sounding so if you plan on driving the car not only for daily driving but also drifting from time to time your gonna want to spend some dough on a nice LSD.

The typical full exhaust system will help flow alittle better. Obviously aftermarket coils is smart however you wanna get a good name brand set.

If you have enough play money you can find a power solution.. Most people go SR, i think the ka is fun. But ultimately its your choice.

Typically you wanna gain as much experience you can even with limited hp because you learn how to work the car. More power makes it much more simpler ( in my opinion ) to drift and swing the rear end out.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
Cyannis

Cyannis is an unknown quantity at this point
To OP, You should take most of what you read with a grain of salt, a lot of people will be sarcastic on here.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #41
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
First thing I want you to rip that e-brake. Then after you rip the e-brake you're gonna power over. Just don't hurt Mona Lisa.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #42
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

zangetsu1223 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey tnx guys for the tips and advices..if u still have some more..keep 'em coming cuz im readin all of em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #43
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

GUZZLE7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangetsu1223 View Post
hey tnx guys for the tips and advices..if u still have some more..keep 'em coming cuz im readin all of em

Hey no problem man. I know some people are pretty harsh on zilvia but the actual drifting community is super awesome. If you go to the track everyone is super friendly and helpful. Lol It's hard for people not to be happy when your out drifting. It's like trying not to smile on a wave runner... Impossible. I'd recommend just fallowing my previous advice and pick up an s13 get it set up correctly for drifting and just start the process of learning. You will be surprised how fast you pick it up if you fallow those steps. And go to the track and meet people and go to car meets and find the right crowd. You'll have fun man good good luck.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #44
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

yeah i will man..i will definitely get that 240 nxt year by feb or march and its gonna be like 3-4k worth..i honestly just wanna fast forward lol cuz i cant wait i feel like a little kid getting a toy for the first time lol and a baby starting on the car world..

Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #45
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

damn how could i mess up mona when she is beautiful lol it would be an insult

Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #46
VegasDrifterS13
Zilvia Junkie

VegasDrifterS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
DAMN. I been ROLLIN readin this thread. Some of you are extremely Sarcastic asswipes. Anyways, this poor kid is a beginner, at least hes askin questions.

Honestly, drifting is a skill, like any skill, it is developed through practice. To successfully develop your skills, buy a car that is already modded with at least Coils, welded diff, alum radiator, Good Fans, 5 speed, intake and full exhaust. This will be the least of what you will need to drift. KA's Really Suck, If you can find an SR20 swapped car youll have a huge headstart. I started Drifting in a built car, So i truly believe my learning curve was much smaller and faster than most who start KA stock cars. Save up your $5k and buy a semi-built car. I have Scored built 240s for 4-6k three times now, So i dont believe its Hard to do.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #47
Hiighboost2
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
Hiighboost2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Hiighboost2
Keep it simple. Stick with a stock KA and spend your money on suspension components.
Get your car set up to drift before you spend a bunch on go fast parts.

Instagram @hiighboost @iasperformance
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #48
nighthawk48
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (26)
nighthawk48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zangetsu1223 View Post
civics really? i know u can drift FWDs but civics?..i know you are talking about the EGs, EKs and others

This thread should have been closed after this.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #49
VegasDrifterS13
Zilvia Junkie

VegasDrifterS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk48 View Post
This thread should have been closed after this.
Damn. SmH. I have optimism about the human Race, then shit like this comes up. .......

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #50
Chrifstine

Chrifstine is an unknown quantity at this point
I am glad I never had to deal with welded diffs.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #51
Bmadd

Bmadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Sage advice...

I drive an RB swapped s13, fully built suspension, all out, 300 whp rocket sled. I was in Iraq in 03-04 and read in one of those import mags about the swap, and decided to do it. Once it was done I started hitting events with my awesome machine and proceeded to get mopped up by guys with near stock rx-8s and s-chassis cars making half the power and way less suspension.

My point is this: I was in love with the car/motor swap. not with the skills and practice associated with actually being a good driver. Since then my mindset has shifted significantly and I am pretty decent now. If I could do it all over again, I'd have not swapped, and blew all that money on a legit racing school and track time.

When I look at your parts list, I fear you may fall into the same trap. Don't fall in love with the concept of being a drift racer. If you have a very limited budget, then why enkei rims? understand?

I bought some sweet 17x10 5ziegens and can barely afford tires, and I have a professional career. so I went to the junkyard and found some q45 mesh wheels for 100 bucks, and they're 15s so tires are cheap. and i'll drift till the tires blow up and i don't mind.

Actually become a good driver. go to events. talk to people while you save money. go to road atlanta and volunteer to be a flagger at some scca/nasa events. talk to drivers. talk to DRIFT drivers. do ride alongs. go to Auto-x. you can auto-x with an 87 Hyundai as long as it doesnt leak too bad. it will teach you the fundamentals of driving. find a mentor.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just keep you grounded. Best of luck!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #52
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Buy the car as cheap as possible
But don't buy cheap parts
Buy used expensive stuff instead of new cheap stuff.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #53
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmadd View Post
I drive an RB swapped s13, fully built suspension, all out, 300 whp rocket sled. I was in Iraq in 03-04 and read in one of those import mags about the swap, and decided to do it. Once it was done I started hitting events with my awesome machine and proceeded to get mopped up by guys with near stock rx-8s and s-chassis cars making half the power and way less suspension.

My point is this: I was in love with the car/motor swap. not with the skills and practice associated with actually being a good driver. Since then my mindset has shifted significantly and I am pretty decent now. If I could do it all over again, I'd have not swapped, and blew all that money on a legit racing school and track time.

When I look at your parts list, I fear you may fall into the same trap. Don't fall in love with the concept of being a drift racer. If you have a very limited budget, then why enkei rims? understand?

I bought some sweet 17x10 5ziegens and can barely afford tires, and I have a professional career. so I went to the junkyard and found some q45 mesh wheels for 100 bucks, and they're 15s so tires are cheap. and i'll drift till the tires blow up and i don't mind.

Actually become a good driver. go to events. talk to people while you save money. go to road atlanta and volunteer to be a flagger at some scca/nasa events. talk to drivers. talk to DRIFT drivers. do ride alongs. go to Auto-x. you can auto-x with an 87 Hyundai as long as it doesnt leak too bad. it will teach you the fundamentals of driving. find a mentor.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just keep you grounded. Best of luck!
dude you're not killing it, you're actually making it clearer to me because when i first started getting into this stuff..it was very vague and i dont know jack shit lol so i didnt know where to start, i looked into drag first and i realized that it does not actually make you better in driving cuz you drive in a straight line and you need lots of moolah to get that nos, supercharger and etc..anyway, i just wanna improve on driving so i could take on drifting while studying about cars..

yeah i reallly do need a mentor cuz most of my friends here dont know much about cars..

tnx 4 the service bro..it must have been tough out there in iraq..buddy of mine was deployed there too..

Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #54
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
Buy the car as cheap as possible
But don't buy cheap parts
Buy used expensive stuff instead of new cheap stuff.
thats pretty much what the other guy is tryin to say

Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #55
killakees

killakees is an unknown quantity at this point
craigs!

craigslist is the way to go thats how i got my baby for cheap and negotiated with dude he was selling it because it needed a litttle body work re du fender roll cause he messed up and the spark plug wasnt gapped right and didnt know the problem lol but ive been driving it since may no problems!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #56
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakees View Post
craigslist is the way to go thats how i got my baby for cheap and negotiated with dude he was selling it because it needed a litttle body work re du fender roll cause he messed up and the spark plug wasnt gapped right and didnt know the problem lol but ive been driving it since may no problems!
hey good for you man!..thats where i plan on getting my 240..right now there's a couple of them..1800 from a "drifter" and 1-2k for shells but thats not what im looking for..im trying to look for one that is in good condition of course and if possible good mods to have good handling and a little bit of horsepower

Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #57
killakees

Honestly i would go for a stock as possible just because you don't know exactly what they did when they put it on and what bot you know what i mean but stock is very hard to find! Lol

Old 11-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #58
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Honestly i would go for a stock as possible just because you don't know exactly what they did when they put it on and what bot you know what i mean but stock is very hard to find! Lol

yeah thats why i didnt say that because it is really rare to see one with out any mods on it

Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #59
killakees

Yeah I'm trying to get in the scene as well but money is an issue lol well good luck to you! Keep me posted on the build!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #60
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Yeah I'm trying to get in the scene as well but money is an issue lol well good luck to you! Keep me posted on the build!

money is always the issue lol even for me

yeah will do man and good luck to you too..

Closed Thread