Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Freddy, the GM powered S14.

I guess you could say that this will be the second stage of the build process on my car. Some of you may have seen the car on freshalloy. This winter will primarily be exterior modifications, such as new aero, body repair, and full paint. Im sure i wont be able to stay away from redoing or modifying other aspects of the car.

Just for a small recap i will touch on the first stage. This consisted of taking the car from stock and doing all the suspension, brakes, motor swap, exhaust, and all that it entailed.

Started September 08 with this:

and finished around March 09 with this..

Before I get 243 question about what mounts, headers, etc i used.. Please go through this thread to check out the entire build process. I really think you will enjoy it.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthr...ghlight=freddy

Now, from here we can begin with current plans and happenings. As of now i have began with the body work. The car was supposed to have been "super clean" when i bought it.. Well, upon inspection, it has been hit hard in the lt rear quarter at some point. Someone somewhere did a haggard job of putting a new quarter and lt door skin on. Bad enough that when you align the trunk lid with the good rt quarter, the trunk hangs over the lt quarter! The more major job will include cutting the lt quarter loose and pulling everything back square. I have already began repairing a rust spot in the rt quarter.

How the car sits now.

Welded up the holes where the factory wing was installed.

Current rust repair.

Rust actually ate through the quarter, rocker, and finally into the inner structure. I had to start in and work my way out, making replacement panels.

Treated and shot with weld-through primer

Made the replacement for the rocker panel

and a replacement for the quarter panel section

all welded up. not pretty, i know. it will be nice once i get it all ground down and a skim coat over it.

I wanted to tackle a little project I have been thinking about. I wanted a real functional tow hook but didnt want something sticking out of the bumper or the hood. This style of tow hook seems to be pretty common from the factory on most BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, and even ford. This will also be temporary as i will be redoing the radiator support this coming winter. All tube with a more supportive tow hook design, still utilizing the bumper cut out.

I started out with my new bumper, which was a little scary, and drilled a pilot hole. Dont worry, I had the cover off about 10 times making sure i was on the correct spot of the rebar.

I needed a factory style hook, so I actually picked this one up at the local True Value. It is rated at 2800lb shear. With actual rolling weight, I think it might work. I guess I will have to test it to make sure. Cost of hook... $9.00

Drilled the factory rebar where I needed to mount the nut.

Made a reinforcement plate out of 1/8" steel.

Welded 2 nuts together then welded them on the front and back side of the reinforcement plate. Then welded the plate to the rebar. I did make 4 plug welded to help keep the plate from pulling out in the middle. note: im not a good welder..

Test.. you can see my nuts in there.

I just happened to scavenge this from an old Mazda 3 bumper.

Heled it up and scribed some lines where I needed to cut.

Plastic welded it all together.

Put in back on for one last try.

Here it is in primer.

I got my caliper relocation brackets. These brackets allow me to upgrade my Z32 front rotors to a z33 track edition rotor. The diameter jumps from 11" to 12.75" I got a set of Nissan rotors and kept my hawk hps pads. I cant wait to see what improvement these will make. In the future I would like to upgrade to a more aggressive pad and incorporate cooling ducts into the new bumper.

Old z32 rotors.. took some serious beatings.

The people's champ.

Saturday i spent some time filling in the top vents in my Origin hood. The hood is functional as it had these upper vents as well as some in the rear of the hood as well. I like the style of the hood but the louvered vents in the top were just way too cheap looking for me. I kicked around the idea of grafting in a hood vent from a BMW 740iL but when it really came down to it I decided to smooth it out. Since the hood has a cowl to it, I feel that smoothing it out will make the hood look longer.

Started by taking out the louvers and beveling the opening where i would be fiber glassing.

Instead of just filling the entire opening with fiberglass mat I decided to make a patch panel. I made a template out of cardboard and transferred it to a large piece of fiberglass. In my case... an old camper top. I run a bodyshop and we just so happened to have two old damaged camper tops sitting out back. Saturday morning ran out there with a cordless sawzall and took a section out.

Didnt fit too bad.

I took fiberglass match and cut it into 1" x 6" sections. Lay tons of then and about a quart of resin to mold it all together. Once I had it all layed out I placed hammers on top of the section. The hood had a bow to it so the patch didnt wanted to raise up on the ends.

Let it sit overnight and removed the hammers...

all you need is a fender puller, some zip ties, and a blog.

Last edited by vaughn4; 07-28-2010 at 08:26 AM..
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Fast forward a couple month to this week. i got the car back from getting the cage put in. Now that its back i have to get to work on a number of things before it goes to paint.

Here are a few pictures of the cage. Its all 1 5/8 DOM. Really just handed the fabricator the rule books for D1, Formula d, and NASA. Im really happy with how it turned out. Obviously the stock seat will not stay..

Finished the ignition coil brackets yesterday. This simply moves the coils inside the car..

Smoothed out the valve covers and added some breather fittings.

Over the next few weeks i will try and get more pictures up as i get it ready to paint.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
IMPORTIMAGE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (78)
IMPORTIMAGE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 78 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IMPORTIMAGE
always love these builds
IMPORTIMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
looking nice man.
shiftdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
XxCAPTAINxX
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
XxCAPTAINxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow great build cant wait to see more
XxCAPTAINxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
engine bay looks as smooth as a babys bottom. i look forward to seeing more.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I envy everyone who can do that kind of work on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
cc4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Great build! Looks like quality work.

Any shots of the suspension setup?
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
wow going from mild to wild love the work!! keep it up!!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
kris
Zilvia Member

kris is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish I had as much time as you do you lucky devil. Lookin real good
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
PinkPanther
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
PinkPanther is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PinkPanther
dude Jesse, if you get tired while driving you can just reach behind your radio and grab a coil AWESOME
PinkPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
Looks like its gonna be good!

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I've seen a couple people relocate the coils to inside, and heard of some problems. You'll definitely have to report back when you drive it again.

Love your work, and love seeing LSx cars properly done.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #14
miravete
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (44)
miravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
nice, real nice
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #15
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I think I've read all of these updates on freshalloy, the forum runs so slow and shitty I rarely go there. Mainly for your build and the pikes peak s14.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #16
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
I've seen a couple people relocate the coils to inside, and heard of some problems. You'll definitely have to report back when you drive it again.

Whats the purpose of relocating the coil inside of the car any how?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post

Just curious what problem you think i could run into? I know the plug wires will be different lengthes, but i dont think that could be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
I think I've read all of these updates on freshalloy, the forum runs so slow and shitty I rarely go there. Mainly for your build and the pikes peak s14.
yeah, im just done with Freshalloy. Main reason why i have started a thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTH'LESSDET View Post
Mainly cosmetic, however i wanted to weld in fittings for beather lines and there just wasnt enough room beside the rear coil. I wanted to do something different and thought why not..?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
that thing is SICK! awesome job on everything.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTH'LESSDET View Post
Looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn4 View Post
Just curious what problem you think i could run into? I know the plug wires will be different lengthes, but i dont think that could be an issue.
I didn't see any technical problems with it, but another guy that did it claimed high rpm/load breakup, and a different guy said they got "really hot". It would seem that being out of the engine bay would keep them cooler, but I guess the longer plug wire length could play into it. Coils are not nearly as robust as distributors.

I have a connection to Dr Jaime Meyer (head of GM Performance, and LSX god) through Conrad Grunewald, might ask him one of these times.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #20
Bumnah
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Bumnah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumnah
Quality work sir.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #21
driftsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (54)
driftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Clean as hell!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #22
Dazzla
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Dazzla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great build!
Dazzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Here is a quick peek at the gussett plates i started on lastnight. The idea is to keep the cage from moving around within the car. I used to have a caged EG a few years ago. You could put your hand between the cage and the roof and feel the body flexing around it. Hopefully this will really strengthen that up.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
CDriver
Leaky Injector

CDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice work on everything!! Very clean and fuctional.
CDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #25
D1S13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
D1S13 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
love following your build

www.teamtopflight.blogspot.com
D1S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #26
younghatchowner
Zilvia Junkie

younghatchowner is an unknown quantity at this point
nice...im following to
younghatchowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Since last time i finished all the gusset plates and stated making the rear firewall.

The firewall was pretty difficult to make. Started out making this simple template...

transferred it to 25 gauge steel

used a bead roller and a break to get it just right!

just have to finish welding it in and seam sealing around the edges.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #28
Fred Allen Burge
Zilvia Junkie

Fred Allen Burge is an unknown quantity at this point
That's one of the best looking 240 engine bays I've seen in a long, long time, nice work!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #29
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
you have a fuel cell setup right? god I would hate life having to work on the fuel pump ever again with that thing in the way lol.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #30
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
you have a fuel cell setup right? god I would hate life having to work on the fuel pump ever again with that thing in the way lol.
yeah, 10 gallon with a liter swirl pot, walboro 130lph lower pressure external pump that feeds the pot, and a Bosch 044 external pump that feeds the motor. Note that i welded up the stock fuel pump service opening...