Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #631
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Good lord...

I thought I already explained why I didn't go with SPL?
Ahhhh, yes. My bad, my bad.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #632
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
installed the PBM subframe risers and traction rods

car feels soooo much more planted now and rotates sooo nicely now.

i really need to fix the front geometry lol
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #633
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well, due to a slight unforeseen issue, my tie rod ends ended up being about 1/8" longer than the stock setup for stock ride height.

I will put everything together and see if it will work out or not, then decide what I'm going to do from there.

A little consolation for me is that, the tap that I bought for the machine shop to use is not a bottom tap, so there's a little bit of material left on the very bottom of the hole that is untouched, so as long as I can get a bottom tap and a handle, I might be able to hand finish that little bit and gain a little more adjustments out of my tie rod ends.

It might turn out that that is unnecessary though.

I will keep you guys posted on this.

BTW, just a quick head count... who all might be interested in my tie rod end setup? Remember, this isn't for minor adjustments or stock like ride height, this is for the more hardcore crowd; these are meant for where the SPL Parts ones left off.

I know Mr. Codyace is interested in a set, but who else might be interested?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #634
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
lol those look like spl arms indeed... for i bet alot cheaper of a price

Maaan mmdb when is that shop gona finish your rear knuckles!

And whats UP with PBM???? Are they going to produce these state side too... shit... its like so much hassle to get these going with driftworks>spherical bearings.

They better price competitively but looks like nothing is happening all together. I mean if they really are just copies of SPC ones its not like they have to do much research either lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
yeah that's pending. Might be a while to get them installed.

Btw any reviews on the spl solid bushings? Anyone take em to the track yet? I'm curious to know how the antisquat changed as well.
came back from the welder a few days ago
bearings coming in next week

tabs were added to reinforce the bushing
they still need more milling to trim the e-brake channel and open it up.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #635
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Looks buff! I like how you guys strengthened the pick up point by adding the additional bracket. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Here's some pix I'm pulling from driftworks forum. The full driftwork setup was installed on an s15.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #636
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Cool, the arms are all straight and what not up in the air. But what about people who lower their car more than where the demo car is at?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #637
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
finish ittt
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #638
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Cool, the arms are all straight and what not up in the air. But what about people who lower their car more than where the demo car is at?
Well, it's still a lot better than stock. The drift car is a lot lower, and they seem to work well there.

Almost finished with that update, I haven't had much time on the computer as of late.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #639
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
I spent a few hours on the car today and got the FLCAs, knuckles, and the tie rod assemblies installed on the car, as well as the HICAS rack.

My preliminary report is that, my tie rod assemblies turned out to be about 1/8" longer than where the stock tie rods that were already on the HICAS rack.

I installed them with the supplied extra angle spacers and no lock plate, as well as only the 1" spacers (not both of the 1" spacers for a total of 2" of spacing).

So far, I have some pretty severe toe in going on, and I only have the 1" spacers on each side installed. Once I install the other 1" spacers to bring the total spacing to 2" per side, it might make the situation worse.

At this point, I can either make the tie rod ends work for the Z32 tie rods by having the machine shop mill the turn buckles and rod ends down half an inch. That should shorten the tie rod assemblies down to where I can actually adjust for toe out if I wanted to.

Or...

I can switch to the Tein Z33 tie rods w/ the extra angle spacers. That would be the least expensive way to fix the length issue.

However, that might turn a few people that are interested in my tie rod ends to change their minds, since they have the Tein S-chassis tie rods already.

I will keep everyone updated when I am able to pick up the longer bolts needed so I can install the other 1" spacers so I can make another assessment of what the assembly will look like at that point.

These damned tie rod ends are gonna cost me a fortune at the end of the day lol
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #640
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Couldn't you just cut the inner shorter? Or are you out of threaded part?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #641
SoSideways
Post Whore!

The Tein S-chassis inners have like, 2" of threaded portion, and from what I could gather, is about 2" or so longer than the stock tie rods, and stock tie rods are the same length as the Z32 and Tein Z33 tie rods.

The problem with cutting the inners down would be that, I cannot provide that service for the others; people would have to find machine shops in their area to have their tie rods milled down, or if they don't have a machine shop nearby, they'd have to send it out. Not efficient or cost effective for anyone.

Last edited by SoSideways; 04-12-2010 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: I made up my mind about which way to go.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #642
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
I don't know if it was already mentioned,
but what about tie rod spacers?
You know,
those little rings that go between the inner tie rod and rack.

What's up with those?
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #643
SoSideways
Post Whore!

They space the huge bulky part of the tie rods out, so the rack itself can move more before hitting the big bulky part of the tie rods, so you get a little more angle out your rack.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #644
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Just made that edit to the OP. A lot more info now.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #645
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Any progress on the driftworks knuckle mods?

Anybody else have news?

Old 04-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #646
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

MMdb is screwed i guess lol jk, well itll be done when its done i guess errr... long ass wait

My updates, I spoke with powered by max usa rep and he said he is travelling to japan and they will update us sooner or later on all the little mods they are up to... eh so more or less the project is on hold... gay....
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #647
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Well, premies have just had a preview of what my tie rods look like.

I'm just waiting on the Tein Z33 tie rods to get in so I can just take finished pics for everyone to see.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #648
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
i'm currently in the market for some subframe bushings and i wanted to get some of your guy's opinions on the powered by max bushings.

they are going on a car that will spend over 80% of its life on a track with small weekend stints on the street.
I like them, install was easy but for me getting the stockers out was a fucking nightmare.

Panel bonded them in and that's it.
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #649
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Don't bother rebuilding a rear S13 subframe - just put in an S14 one and call it a day. The geometry is far improved.

Aluminum subframe bushings makes things a little loud on the street - you get a lot of diff whine you didn't get with stock bushings.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #650
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Any progress on the driftworks knuckle mods?

Anybody else have news?
news: long beach grand prix was epic! Met a few kpax team members, bunch of really cool guys. Other cars were badass. It's fun checking out the cars prior to seeing them hit the track. Saddly a 240sx was nowhere to be found near the paved streets of downtown Long Beach. But it's presence of pwnage and tarmac domination could be felt throughout the grand stands as the Indy cars hit the street... damn this things are loud.

Anyway, the Skullworks has informed me of their progress. They finally been rewelded to accommodate for the ebrake. They've also got the bearings to remove the sub-par quality bushings. Currently they're waiting on the ears and plating for the ears. They estimate they'll be done on Monday... which by that time I'll be in San Diego starting my new job. So I'll take a look at them on Saturday next week... and possibly have them installed another couple weeks following since I have to modify the rear shocks to have them fit -- lots of work for a supposedly bolt on part >.<
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #651
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

mmdb with the love making skullworks has spent with these spindles they should be able to by now reproduce them or something for the rest of us lol... I would hope/think :P
Old 04-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #652
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anyone seen this KPR stuff before?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #653
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

nope whats their deal?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #654
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Just googled under 400 bux but just a silly steering angle knuckle woopie do.. only useful for drifters i guess... nothing like the sp-tech/driftworks

Lame and useless:

http://kpi.squarespace.com/kpr-s13s1...ngle-knuckles/
Old 04-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #655
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Get that extreme steering angle you've been missing with KPR Steering Angle Knuckles. Achieve up to 58 degrees of steering angle on the leading wheel and 52 degrees on the trailing wheel with our version 2 knuckles! Comes powder coated in gold.

Nissan S14 or S15 hubs and ball joints must be used to run KPR Steering Angle Knuckles. For the best results use in conjunction with KPR outer tie rod ends, KPR 8mm steering rack spacers, aftermarket inner tie rods, modifications to the factory bump stops and a proper race alignment is NEEDED.

Depending on wheel size and offset and vehicle ride height wheel well clearance modifications and relocating the factory wiring harness from the factory position is highly recommended.
KPR S13/S14/S15 Steering Angle Knuckles
Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #656
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Thanks for bringing those up, I was trying to find them to put in the OP but couldn't remember what company made them.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #657
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
Just googled under 400 bux but just a silly steering angle knuckle woopie do.. only useful for drifters i guess... nothing like the sp-tech/driftworks

Lame and useless:

http://kpi.squarespace.com/storage/K...=1256596570934

KP Race Engineering - KPR S13/S14/S15 Angle Knuckles
Keep your condescending comments to yourself please.

Did your mother not tell you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #658
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Keep your condescending comments to yourself please.

Did your mother not tell you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything"?
I think he failed to notice that: "This is the roll center, suspension pickup, and steering angle modification thread."
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #659
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

lol whatever.

Anyways:

Billspeer Ultimate Knuckles

February 24, 2010 by C's Garage Me and Mark from Blink are making these sweet knuckles to fit S13, S14 and S15’s (we are also making fc rx7 knuckles)
Features:
  • Insane steering lock
  • Quicker steering response
  • Dropped Tie-Rod Pickup to suit low cars
  • Huge reduction in ackerman
  • Modified Lower control arm with steering stop removed and welded reinforcments
  • Designed to work with stock style Tie rods
  • Metallic paint finish

Available for $375, modification will be done to your standard spindles and lower control arms.
contact [email protected] for more information

I am just not interested in drifting but making my car go faster, I don't find steering angle useful but I forget alot of people here drift. Enjoy the above find
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #660
SoSideways
Post Whore!

The above find is also from New Zealand.

Good luck with shipping costs and customs and the waiting and the currency exchange rate.

There are very similar products, here in the US that you can readily buy without having to deal with the hassles associated with importing parts from another country, much less parts from the other side of the earth, and a different hemisphere.

And honestly, nobody is putting a gun to your head to type all these patronizing bits about drifting.

You don't like drifting? Fine.

Do you seriously have to sit here and type out how you dislike/hate drifting on every reply that you make? No. In fact, I'd rather you NOT post if you're gonna do that.