Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
93-94 J30 Diff w/ axles Work? whats the Deal?

Ok searched and Alot of People are talking some diff stuff about it + I think they are talking about the 95+ J30 Diffs...so whats the bottom Line there on a 94/below Diff???.

Found a 93-94 J30 diff (entire car).
Will this Bolt up to my S13 no problem w/ the axles?
Just Still swap the rear cover Right??

This year (93-94) has 5 bolt correct? STill be the right length etc right??
Or do I just need the Diff and another cars axles.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Somnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Somnambulist
Yes it will bolt up to your car with the correct axles (corresponding J30 5 bolt 93-94 axles).

95+ J30 axles are 3 sets of two just like the S13/S14.

Not sure about the diff cover, but I didn't have to swap the rear cover on my S14. Maybe S13s are different.
Somnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Werd...was wondering about this whole "Free play" or lack there of,that was the Main concern on the treads I found.

Its a 91 hatch its going in.Didn't know about the whole Driveshaft thing also.
I think the J30 is a 94.Its either 94 or 93.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
92-94s use the 5bolt axles, get the axles and it all bolts in. 95-97 use the 6bolt, you don't need the axles.

You will have to swap the cover, it's a 2bolt, and you'll need the front snout bushings and hardware to mount it. Shame too, the earlier J30s had the nice finned rear cover.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Somnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Somnambulist
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFairlady View Post
Werd...was wondering about this whole "Free play" or lack there of,that was the Main concern on the treads I found.

Its a 91 hatch its going in.Didn't know about the whole Driveshaft thing also.
I think the J30 is a 94.Its either 94 or 93.

Thanks
It will work. The J30 diff is about an inch or so longer than the S13/S14 diff because of the ABS thing (sensor?) on the front of the diff.

I just wedged it together and it worked fine. It has not given me any issues other than being more difficult to bolt the driveshaft to the diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
92-94s use the 5bolt axles, get the axles and it all bolts in. 95-97 use the 6bolt, you don't need the axles.

You will have to swap the cover, it's a 2bolt, and you'll need the front snout bushings and hardware to mount it. Shame too, the earlier J30s had the nice finned rear cover.
So it's confirmed you need to swap the cover for an S13? My S14 had no issues and bolted right in.
Somnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
ARS13

Trader Rating: (0)
ARS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got one in my car right now. I just had to use the 5 bolt axels and my factory rear cover; it works great and was only 150 bucks from a local salvage yard. It was all a very straight foward install also, everything fit perfectly without any problems.
ARS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Got mine yesterday for $121 w/ the axles.

My Buddy is actually gonna remove the Diff from the J30 and put it in the S13 Diff so I can even keep the Final Drive the same!!

thanks
I was worried that people were saying the axles were diff size on only a few diff diffs or some shit.My Buddy actually confirmed it so I'm gonna go pull my diff today to get started.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFairlady View Post
Got mine yesterday for $121 w/ the axles.

My Buddy is actually gonna remove the Diff from the J30 and put it in the S13 Diff so I can even keep the Final Drive the same!!

thanks
I was worried that people were saying the axles were diff size on only a few diff diffs or some shit.My Buddy actually confirmed it so I'm gonna go pull my diff today to get started.
Final drive is the same, 4.08:1. Only the later 95-97 J30t has the lower 3.92:1. All other models match.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
Spring Break '92
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Spring Break '92 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quick question, can I use the J30 5 bolt axles as replacements for my JDM R200V diff that also has the 5 bolt axles?
Spring Break '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

they should work fine.

Mine bolted right up and from what I understand they are all essentially R200's.

My main concern was the driveshaft being longer what that will do but most people say it will be fine.My Buddy ran it on his 240 (S13) and it was great.
oh well,...we'll see
Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
keep us posted

So how is going your swap? Is your s13 ABS or nonABS?
What driveshaft did you use?
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
ZipTiedCoupe
BANNED

ZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her selfZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her self
Use your stock driveshaft. ONLY THING YOUR CONVERTING IS THE REAR COVER AND AXLES. Oh, and of course the diff.
ZipTiedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipTiedCoupe View Post
Use your stock driveshaft. ONLY THING YOUR CONVERTING IS THE REAR COVER AND AXLES. Oh, and of course the diff.
Swap Complete.
everything popped right in.
I have a Non-Abs car of course.....If I had ABS don't they all have a VLSD?I'm still Using my non-Abs Shaft.
of course now all of a sudden I have a Tailshaft seal leak.
Ordered a New one.

What I'm not sure about is:
someone told me the 93-94 J30 had the same Gearing as the S13 Stock open diff?>>
And the 95+ had a Longer ratio....or that the only one that had the longer ratio was the J30T diff??
Whats the deal w/ that.I am noticing I'm either
A: going faster at lower RPM;s
B: Speedo could now be waaaaay off

Accel I'm not so sure I like...granted I porbably need some more power (I/DP/E Stock SR + stock boost)
***Ordered a HKS Wastegate Act, N60 Maf for $19 & .getting a Databoard chip Tune by my friend and going to prob 10-12lbs of Boost (daily Driver).
Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
ZipTiedCoupe
BANNED

ZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her selfZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her self
try edmunds.com or another site with info on the gearing. that might help.
ZipTiedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote