Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
scribbles6
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (5)
scribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
KA 89 240 w/dual cam swap cel on and wont throw code

ok, so i've been searching everywhere and i only found one thread on a different forum but no solution.

I did a swap on my 89 240, put a KA24DE in it, put a stock uncut engine harness in it, 5 speed ecu in there, everything is stock pretty much, replaced old parts and did a lot of maintenance and cleaning to it all before i swapped motor in.

car is running great, very strong, i'm still breaking in the new clutch so i decided to drive it around to work and stuff... on my way to work my CEL (check engine light) came on, no bogging, no changes at all in the way it was all driving but CEL on...

so i got home and tried pulling the codes on the ECU but when i got to do it, i turn the key to on, sping the little knob thing fully clockwise, wait the 3 seconds or so, then spin it to the left to enter diagnostic mode but the LED in the ECU just stays on and doesnt flash a code at all as well as the CEL on, wont turn on during that or flash.

has anyone had this happen before, i've asked around and had a couple people look at it and said they've never seen it before.

please help, anything will be greatly appreciated.
scribbles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I don't know from experience, but my first guess or stab at it would be to make sure that the wiring at the plug that goes to the Cluster from the ECU is wired correctly. Make sure a +12 or +5V isnt going to the CEL all the time. I don't think that would cause the ECU to not flash the "All Clear" code though...

Good luck.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
scribbles6

scribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond reputescribbles6 has a reputation beyond repute
Wait, damn I'm such a noob. What do u mean by +5 and +12?

I'm gonna double check my cluster wiring since that might actually be one of the reasons why it's doing that.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
FRoSt415
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
FRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FRoSt415
5volts or 12volts refrence voltage
FRoSt415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post
I don't know from experience, but my first guess or stab at it would be to make sure that the wiring at the plug that goes to the Cluster from the ECU is wired correctly. Make sure a +12 or +5V isnt going to the CEL all the time. I don't think that would cause the ECU to not flash the "All Clear" code though...

Good luck.
If it had a wire crossed and it was getting voltage all the time it would have happened from the start. He said it came on after driving for a bit.

OP: So you're saying the ECU won't even flash you the all clear code???? If so have you tried switching ECU's with a friend??
Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
scribbles6

yeah, i tried switching ecu's and it did the same thing with the new one.

it won't throw the all clear, the red LED just stays on, no flashing at all. really weird, i need to get my car smogged and this is beating my ass lol
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
pyshin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
pyshin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Damn, I'm having the same problem with my '92 KA24DE in my '90 240SX.. If you ever figure it out let me know
pyshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Just attach a switch to the CEL wire. Turn it off for your smog and voila right? I am not from a state that requires emissions but thats what Id do.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
scribbles6

True.. That's one option... But not sure if it will pass still.

So I got reffed on my way to the shop today so they could help figure it out... Turns out the shop didn't wanna get into it because of the swap, so I pretty much just went out to get state reffed and now I got more problems.. Pretty weak.

Does anybody know if the dohc swap can be smogged in a legit way? I'm pretty sure it should but I dunno...
Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
scribbles6

The cel switch is actually a no go, when you turn the key
to on they check thy everything lights up to
make sure the cel works.

The only things I've come come up with are that it
might be my CAS (crank angle sensor) since for non-California models the red led will just stay on and I honestly can't track where ally parts came
from.

Next thing is it might be my speed sensor in my tranny since the cel turned on when I was driving on the freeway and I'm running a sohc
sensor in my dohc tranny. Does anybody know if they are interchangeable?