Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #31
Team Runner Video

Trader Rating: (0)
Team Runner Video is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Waiting to see that aero assembled!!
Team Runner Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #32
Dylan22

Dylan22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Couple small updates from the weekend.

This was my situation as of the start of the weekend. Needed to buy jack stands for the rear end of the car and clean up the half of the "free" side of the garage

Got the car off the ground and took out my driveshaft and crappy exhaust system

I purchased a new hanger bearing for my driveshaft since I couldn't spend 400 and shipping on a 1 piece right now. This is why I needed to replace it!

Here is a shot of the underside of the car. For a car that has seen winter before from previous owners, and the general reputation of these cars rusting out I think I found a pretty good chassis!

Here is a terrible(but only) picture I have while moving the engine to clear some space up and set it under some garbage bags so I can clean it and spray the degreaser off it and not get water all over the floor

And after soaking the front of the engine in some engine cleaner and spraying, wiping it down quickly it's starting to look a bit better

I then took the stupid HICAS pump out of the engine bay, removed the brackets and dropped the lines. I am installing a lock bar and ordering some GKtech hicas tie rods when they are restocked

And here is the state of the engine bay. I have taped off all the plugs, pulled the harness away to get ready to clean out all the gunk from the coolant leak this summer. There is an area of rust in the drivers fender well(Just over the frame rail) that will be repaired and then I will touch up the engine bay with some paint.

Other than that, I sprayed some of the pulleys flat black and resprayed my heat shield for my turbo so I can put it back together. Hopefully next weekend I will have time to clean and spray my valve cover so I can get the top end back together

Thanks for looking folks
Dylan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #33
Ltkouki

Ltkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive been thinking.
When we degrease our cars, we could use a squeege and a shop vac to vaccume up most of the water. I think that will work fine.

I got brake fluid all over my floor too:/
Ltkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #34
Ltkouki

Ltkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Pictures of the plastic welding on the front bumper to be uploaded later!!
Ltkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #35
Dylan22

Alright, time for a little update guys!

So, my awesome buddy(Ltkouki) did some more repairs to the kouki kit and got some pictures of the bumper repair.

The cracks were at the top of the two middle "supports" in the bumper and another was on the side of the bumper near the bottom.

That's what you call a good friend. I also picked up a type x spoiler but I don't have any pictures of that right now, paid 120 for it.

And this morning, I received this little package..

Inside is a HKS sport catback. Got some nice new exhaust hangers as well since mine were original I'm pretty sure hahah. Definitely happy with my purchase, can't wait to hear this on the car!

Sorry for the crap quality pictures, all cell phone stuff haha. I also placed my order for GKTech tie rod replacement arms today which I'm excited about, now I won't need to worry about the 21 year old HICAS tie rod end bushings giving out on me with the lock bar in place. As soon as Tomei releases their new turbo elbow, I will order the last few parts for the car and then it's time to put it all back together for spring time.

Thanks for looking folks
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #36
iStubz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
iStubz will become famous soon enoughiStubz will become famous soon enoughiStubz will become famous soon enoughiStubz will become famous soon enoughiStubz will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
clean build man, looking forward to more
iStubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #37
cbc24

cbc24 is an unknown quantity at this point
looks epic man cant wait too see your progress
cbc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #38
Dylan22

Kind of a loser update because I currently don't have many pictures. But we started on the frame rail caps which I will elaborate on in my next post with much more detail.

Also, my fancy rear tie rods showed up.

And I painted my valve cover with VHT wrinkle black.

Most parts will be prepped for paint this week and I need to finished grinding the undercoating off the passenger rail.. Not much time to work on the car this weekend since I worked overtime($$$) and wasted all that money on another parts order which included

EBC/Porterfield brake pads
Mishimoto PS reservoir
Energy swaybar/endlink bushings
Circuit master cylinder heat shield
Heater core conversion hoses
HKS recirculation valve for my ssqv BOV
PIAA H4 bulbs to go with Bosch housings I picked up

So this week I will have some more pictures that aren't off of my cell phone of the progress on the car and some details on how we made the frame rail caps.

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #39
sharpe_corners
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
sharpe_corners is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Hey man! Looks good! Nice to see my kouki stuff, and the fmic going to good use! #shamelessplug
sharpe_corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #40
Dylan22

Alright! This weekend is going to be really nice(Aka not below 0 and no precipitation) So I decided to take the car off the jack stands and be able to roll it outside, mainly to get the engine bay cleaned up.

The first time she's seen sunlight in 2013

So with most of the connections just taped off for now(I have to run out tomorrow to get more de-greaser and some tinfoil to wrap the harness) I soaked the tops of the rails and my subframe/steering rack in some gunk engine brite

Here is another picture of how we did the caps on the frame rail(The bottom hasn't been welded yet, it's not staying loose like that!) and also where I have wire wheeled and pried out the rust in the wheel well.

Most of the crap just rinsed right off which was good. Tomorrow I will soak all the really soiled parts and get to scrubbing.

So as I was moving my trans around I felt the crossmember to be moving around WAY too much. I took it off and found the one side to be almost completely split..

Luckily I have a box of these sitting in the garage(From a friend who decided not to go SR20 with his build)

So I threw the trans mount on. Much better. I had the valve cover on the engine but I decided to put one more layer of paint on it to see if it will wrinkle a little bit better. But here is the engine cleaned up, with the A/C pump bracket taken off. Looking much nicer!

I also picked up some Bosch housing and I took my HKS apart(Kind of) to fit the recirculating attachment on it when that arrives.

And that is about it for today! Thanks for looking folks
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #41
Tank_4g63

Tank_4g63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice looking s13 build.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #42
Dylan22

Thanks man!

So here are two comparison pictures of how things have progressed this winter.

lots of de-greaser. Most of the crap in the engine bay was from when my water pump seal went and it dumped most of my coolant out on the engine. I also had a power steering leak which helped all that crud accumulate. However! I had another package show up at the door today.

Brake pads(EBC yellowstuff F, Porterfield R)
Circuit sports BMC head shield
Gates heater core line conversion
Mishimoto PS reservoir
PIAA H4 purple/white bulbs
Energy swap bar/endlink bushings.

So now all I need to have the car back together is a turbo elbow and a dry cell battery to relocate to the trunk. Hopefully this weekend I can finish prep on my type-x kit and have it painted in the next few weeks.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #43
Dylan22

So today I got a few things done. I removed my old headlights and tomorrow when I go to the parts store I need to pick up some H4 plugs to solder in to the harness to put my Bosch housings in. Also did my brakes but didnt take pictures of this stuff because it's boring/uncompleted right now as far as the headlights go. However I do have some pictures to update you guys with

Prepped the type-x kit last weekend

And then this week my buddy texted me this! Primed and ready for paint.

I also got to the task of taking my HICAS rack out and replacing it with a lock bar and GKTech tie rods.

The steering rack unbolted nicely as I let some penetrating oil soak on all the bolts under the car for a bit. And now for a proper setup!

However, the fun stops there as one of the tie rods kind of jumped out when I was unthreading the HICAS tie rods and it stripped the tie rod end. So I am off to buy a tap and die set tomorrow to get that settled and I also have some sway bar and end link bushings to instal!

Thanks for looking.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #44
Dylan22

No love? Maybe these updates will get some attention.

So I've been waiting on the last of my parts and they have slowly been arriving and assembled. I'll start with where I left off, chased the threads and the tie rod end was good to go

Buttoned it all up

Did some sway bar endlink bushings while I was under it

Put a brass shifter bushing in

Then tackled my tail lights! Man, I love these.

We then fitted some of my aero to the car to see how it looked against the old paint.

Not bad, I'd say.

In the meantime, I painted some more stuff while waiting for parts.

Then my parts showed up!!

Then I bolted up my new exhaust, compared it to the old(sad) system.. man this will make a difference

And here is some type-x freshness to end the post! more updates soon ya'll
Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #45
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
How do you like your shifter with new brass bushing, any noticeable difference or just "bling" effect?
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #46
P33TA

P33TA is an unknown quantity at this point
great build man. subscribing.
P33TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #47
Dylan22

To reply to the person who asked about the shifter bushing, it did take quite a bit of play out of my shifter but I dont notice a huge difference.

Well I guess I could update this! I havent really done a whole lot to the car since, just been enjoying it. After putting the engine back into the car and hooking everything back up it started up just fine and I worked out a few little bugs with the vac lines for my boost controller on the new piping.

I can say the car is 10 times more responsive and the new exhaust sounds excellent. No exhaust or boost leaks obviously made a huge difference as well lol. So basically all I can show you are these pictures

Front mount installed and everything hooked up proper

First day it moved out of the garage under its own power!

Went to the alignment rack to get the new lock bar and tie rods set up right

I also installed an ATI pod holder to remove the a-pillar gauges. Excuse the dirty interior this was prior to its first wash and wax hahah.

Took it to the first track day at Mosport and it worked awesome. Much faster than last year and the suspension upgrades made a huge difference in predictability and handling.

Then it was time to fit my side skirts and valence. My buddies Navan s14 Silvia sitting next to it

Before the next track date I could start to hear my u-joint creaking. To avoid dropping a driveshaft and having a bad time I went ahead and ordered this!

So with that installed, the car was ready for the next track day.

So that brings you a little bit up to date! The Kouki wing is not installed because I am saving some money up to have the trunk lid repaired of the other holes that were drilled for the OEM wing before I mount it. I am super happy with all the upgrades I did to the car over the winter, the car feels 100 percent better on the track, the stiffened up rear end makes the car understeer much less and the brakes made a huge difference and have mostly eliminated fade. The front mount intercooler and exhaust have made a very noticeable power increase and the car is running great. One thing I have had to do was take my HKS SSQV apart to use a softer spring as it was holding boost and creating surge. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a garbage knock off HKS and I actually used the spring from the knock off in my genuine SSQV body and it helped a great deal.

Thanks for looking!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #48
EnvyS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
EnvyS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sweet build, looks like a very well taken care of car
EnvyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #49
ayrtonlucyk

ayrtonlucyk is an unknown quantity at this point
great build man!
ayrtonlucyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #50
Dylan22

Thanks guys. I'm currently working on the engine bay cleaning some more things up and painting some stuff so I should have some updates soon.

Also, for anybody running a HKS SSQV blowoff valve experiencing surge/excessive flutter, I recommend finding a knock off BOV and putting the cheaper(softer) spring into the good body. I did this an it eliminated most of my flutter at 5+ psi where before it was really sticking shut.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #51
ayrtonlucyk

i live near oshawa, im wondering what importer in toronto you got your sr from?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #52
Dylan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrtonlucyk View Post
i live near oshawa, im wondering what importer in toronto you got your sr from?
I got my setup from Tiger. They don't have an overall great reputation but this engine has been great so far.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #53
Dylan22

Just a small update but last night I finally got around to bolting on my skid plate since I lowered my front end a tad more. I apologize for the cell picture but when I was finished with my oil change and skid plate I was far too filthy to go grab my Nikon haha.

I also picked up a set of DMAX 2-1 indicators because I did not have any harnesses for my front lights so until I can track some down I am just going to run these guys.

cheers!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #54
ayrtonlucyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan22 View Post
I got my setup from Tiger. They don't have an overall great reputation but this engine has been great so far.
thank you!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #55
Dylan22

Well it's been a while Zilvia! I've been busy driving the hell out of the car and enjoying the hard work put in over last winter. I managed to get the car out to 7 lapping days and some great drives up north through cottage country which I'm lucky enough to have just outside of the city.

To start it off, I have no major issues this summer.. I'm not even sure if I had to park the car at all, other than when I was waiting on a replacement hotpipe for the intercooler, basically the car ran awesome all year and I'm stoked about that. I made some small changes and I also helped my girlfriend purchase her first car which you will see a picture of in this post.. basically, I'm jealous.

So first, the wing was fitted to the car.

Then I dressed the engine bay up as well, at this point a few friends and I were getting a little car club together.

Met up with a friend who runs a pretty cool facebook page called Everyday Tech, check them out!

Drove the car hard some more

Then I had destroyed my cheap front tires by pushing the car at the track. I got a good deal on some real tires. R1R's 215/45 and 225/45's

Those tires obviously made a HUGE difference at the track. Turn in with the R1R's is insane, I only have 1 track day on them so looking forward to next season already.

And finally, I plasti-dipped my Work's for something different, I loved how it turned out.. a lot

So among other small things, that's how the car life turned out this summer Great times with great friends. And 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend picked this little black Nissan up..

It's a BLAST to drive. Upgrades include K Sport coils, HiStop 4 piston front brakes with 2 piece rotor, 3" turbo back exhaust, ARC top mount intercooler and some Tenzo rims on Star Spec's. It has 147k on it and we picked it up for 3500 bucks!

I have lots of plans for the s13 this winter, including a big brake upgrade for the front, full ABS delete thanks to GKTech, lots more suspension bushings, take apart the diff, drop the rear subframe to do solid bushings, strip the interior from the front seats back out of the car because I'm going full on racecar as well as an Exedy clutch, an aluminum rad and some other small bits I can't think of off the top of my head! So now that the car is about to go away you guys will be seeing some more regular updates.

Cheers!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am jealous
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #57
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That gti-r is sweet! I had the gti-r swap into my 93 g20 with a front mount, as well as the usual stuff. That is an awesome motor and strong to boot. Never seen the hatch in person tho, shame. Like the s13 as well. That hard work is paying off. Nicely done.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #58
Dylan22

Thanks guys. And yes the Pulsar is quick, those itb sr20 engines are awesome, and the car being awd makes it accelerate much harder than I can get the s13 to do lol.

But anyways, this is the last week the 240 will be on the road and before it starts to get really cold out I want to start taking it apart and have the engine out. I've already started to get some parts together so when the tear down begins I will have some more updates to post.

Cheers
Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #59
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Ah nice to hear that your car is still kicking about!

Thanks for the update
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #60
Dylan22

Thanks Tricky! She is still alive and kicking, just pretty tired after this season. There is lots of bushing work to do this winter and I picked up an Exedy stage 2 clutch as well. I am very surprised the OEM clutch made it through at least 12 track days and 12-15psi regularly, impressed to say the least!

I figured I would share some pictures a friend shot for me who runs a Facebook page named Everyday Tech, they are a local group so check the pictures out and give the page a like

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c3f8dbef53