Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #31
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So I got some goodies recently. My fusebox relocation is at the point where I can leave it alone and get back to why I first started this current project, mildly tubing the front and building a crash bar. If anyone wants to chime in with some advice I'm all eyeballs. I'm thinking that I can re-use my current intercooler and mid mount it to keep it protected as well as cut down on the number of piping couplers I'll need. From searching around, I'll just make sure my ducting is as effecient as I can.
So I borrowed this welder

And scored this 55 gal drum for free to make the tubs. It used to hold methenol but it's been airing out for a week or so now, but I'll purge it with some of the gas from the welder just so I don't Wyle E. Coyote myself.

And picked a 20' stick of 1.5" .120 tube and 1" .95 tube with some other scrap sheets and misc. square tubing.

I've been googling the shit out of s13 front ends as well as scouring the fabrication thread and members build threads, so I have a few ideas but nothing set in stone. So many high quality projects and ideas. Hopefully my method of attacking things with wreckless abandonment and persistance pays off. hahaha
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #32
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

I'm on my second page, awesome-ooooooooo
Old 12-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #33
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

I forgot that welding is 75% prep work 15% welding and 10% wondering if you should take it apart and start over. So after staring at the front end for a few days, and measuring and staring again I decided to finally just cut into it. Whoever put the s15 front end on should just stop touching cars, no pride or skill was involved in the making of this gobbly-gook that the previous owner took it to. It worked but thet cut alot of corners. Not exactly sure how much to keep and how much to cut away for the tubs, so I'm still figuring out the best way to go about those.

Here's some of the garbage boogers someone tried to disguise as welds

Lower cross member out. I just hit the spot welds with my angle grinder and a couple hits with a hammer to motivate it out.

Im want to try and reuse this but it definitely is not a flush fit so Im not sure yet.

Got the frame rails cleaned up. Lots of unneccesary holes and tack welds, booooo.

And here's the drum again I plan on using for the tubs. Now this is where you the reader get to chime in because I'm curious if I should incorporate the grooves from the drum into the tub for added strength or if someone tried this and it back fired and looked horrible.

After these next couple days I'll be able go at it again. And like I said, I'm all ears for any advice for any body that actually reads this thread.

Last edited by ShadowMan; 04-08-2013 at 10:25 PM..
ShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #34
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Made a little more progress but not much. This would be so much easier with the proper tools but I can make do with what I have. Tried my hand at a little stitch welding, some are ok others, not so much. I'm sure the function is there even if the form is a bit, well, ugly. I also got the driver side wheel well cut out and am in the process of making templates. Too bad I'm not really all that good or I would try to make it look like a pro. Anyways, on with the pictures.
A couple shots of some amateur stitch welds. I did this before I cut stuff out hoping it would help beef things up a bit.

Nothing new, just a cut out wheel well. I'll be removing more material as I get pieces tacked in and fitted, but I'm a little bitch so I'm going a little at a time. I'll get the driver side finished first, that way I won't be so paranoid when I get to the passnger tub and will have a better idea of what to cut.

And the beginnings of the templates.

Hopefully, I'll have both tubs at least mocked up by tonight. I'm also going to start on my tube front as well. My buddy had to take his welder back for a few days, but my neighbor has a gasless mig that I can borrow to at least tack weld most of it together. We'll see how it all goes though. I also need to go pick up some of that POR15 shit or whatever its called as well as some seam sealer, weld thru primer and paint. Alright, back to work I go.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #35
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

This is as far as I managed to get. Got both tubs cut out and trimmed them to fit around the strut towers. I'm still trying to come up with the best/cleanest/strongest solution for the side pieces. I'm pretty sure I stand there staring at it more than anything else.
The tubs being cut from the drum, which takes a long time with a cutoff wheel.

Trimmed to fit

Drivers side ready to weld, passenger side is just sitting there waiting to be fitted into place.

Here's where I have a couple questions. How far down from the top of the strut tower should the tub be welded?

And how far forward is everyone bringing their tubs?

I just went with what looked as close to what everyone else is doing so unless someone chimes in with some answers, I'll just keep on keepin on. I'll have more tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #36
AWahl

Trader Rating: (0)
AWahl is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lol at those garbage boogers
AWahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #37
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

The more I work on this hog the more respect I have for those of you that make this shit look good. This would definitely be going faster if I had the right tools but I don't, so slow it goes. Got a liitle bit closer on the driver side tub. Anyways, on with the pictures.

It's just tacked in place as of now. Hopefully I'll have both sides finished by tomorrow, but we will see.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #38
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Not much progress, but here it is.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #39
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

I know most of you people are probably shaking your heads at my build, which is great, because I am too. So we can laugh some more at what else I've done. I tore all the front support shit, that I was doing, out because it gave me a head ache looking at it. Then I did this which I think is a better idea.

I'm working on getting a pipe bender, but for now it's angle cuts and welding. I plan on making the center bars, wether I keep this or change it a little bit more, removable for ease of engine install/removal. Learned a lot so far, but unfortunately its mostly from doing it wrong first, so more time has been spent undoing mistakes rather than making progress. Besides that, I think I have found a completely original powerplant. I don't think I have ever seen anyone use it before either. I've been researching it closely for about 5 1/2 months now, and it seems to have an unknown power potential. So far, all studies and close observations have seen it tested for hours on end, during all kinds of conditions with zero fatigue of any parts. Actually the longer it runs, the power the source seems to actually produce. Obviously, custom fabrication will be needed to seat the power plant in the engine bay, but it should be minimal. Would you like to see it? Well here it is

Like I said, unlimited power levels that make the energizer bunny look like a little bitch.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #40
PG BOOSTED
Zilvia Junkie

PG BOOSTED is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL dude just keep doing what you can. congratz
PG BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #41
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Made a litlle more progress. You'd be surprised on how long I took getting these headlight mounts tacked in "the right" place. I threw the hood on and used my radiator as well to get the headlights mounted where I think they should be.

The inner brackets are a combo of custom pieces welded to sections of stock pieces.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #42
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

At this point, my overall thoughts of this project are that I definitely did not anticipate the amount of time it takes to just decide on how to solve a fabrication problem. Not to mention the time it takes to actually build it, especially without the right tools. I make what I have work though. I'm about to start work on the crash bar/bumper mount and beefing up the strut tower brace to the firewall.
I was also curious how the dipshit with the tiburon thread has only 8 replies less than I do and it was only started it a week ago. And its not even a 240, it's a Hyundai. Only on zilvia I guess. Fuck this place. hahahaha

Last edited by ShadowMan; 01-17-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #43
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Got more work welding the outer portion of the the driver side tub. Had to cut and grind a little here and there but she is a little closer to being done. I know I'm not the most experienced welder but some of the inconsistency has to be due in part to the welder. Alright, I'll stop runnin my fingers. I know you pic whores are just here for the show anyway.

I cut tabbed that seam that sticks straight down toward the tire and folded it over. Not sure if it was neccesary, but I did it just in case.

And I'm almost done finalizing the headlight placement, but they are oh so close.

So once I get all this mess taken care of on both sides, I think I'll be able to finally work on the bumper mount and tower brace modification. Also, just looking more into how to paint, I should have just spot removed the rust, as now it appears it's going to be a pain in the ass to do it right. I guess it is a track car, but I don't want it to look like ass out of neglect and laziness.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #44
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Once again, as I progress forward, I also back track as well. Made quite a bit of progress on my ducting though. Made it removable as well as the upper rad/ic support. Had to remove the headlight mounts as they weren't quite right. I hate this headlight problem.

To make this upper portion removable, I had been searching for some way to make it simple. I happen the wrist pins from my old pistons when I rebuilt my motor, and wouldn't you know it, they are a perfect fit inside the 1" tubing I've been using. So I cut the uprights, welded the wrist pins in the upper portion and WHAMMO!, it works. Not perfect by any means, but neither is anything else on this project.

Ran out of welding wire so I'm done for the night. But tomorrow should bring a lot more progress and updates.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #45
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Made some headway today. Got a late start but managed to get a few things marked off the list. I found out my nieghbor has been hoarding a pipe bender, so I snatched that up. It's a harbor frieght edition so I don't know how it stacks up to other ones that the pros on the fabrication thread use, but it bends pipe. I can feel that I'm getting close to painting the engine bay, which is where I'm boggled. It's a track car so I'm not looking to go balls out on the paint, but I want it to be something that will last and not look hidious. If anybody has suggestions, send em my way.
Headlights mounted, again. Much better I think too.

Nismo, shizzmo. Made my own power brace. Still need to box it in though.

Had to cut the mouth of the bumper to fit around the ducting, not the best but it'll work.

Removed the cross member and all attached items which allowed me to be able to clean up alot more surface rust as well. Quite a bit more than I initially saw.

Started making one of the bumper bars. A little tricky getting the bends on either side to match up but I get em close enough for my taste.

It started getting late so I'm done for now. I'm hoping by tomorrow someone will chime in on which road to take for engine bay paint/coating so I can get a start on that. Should be able to get the crash bar mocked up and tacked in place as well. No that you're done looking at my hard work, go post a comment on that asshole's tiburon thread. hahaha.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #46
Extreme Dimensions
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (9)
Extreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
nice job on the duct system!
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #47
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Not much progress but I got the upper bumper/crash/bash bar tacked in place as well as the headlight outer mounts.

Not sure if this was the best way to go about it. I will try and weld in a stiffener plate in the frame rail itself to tie the inner and outer angle iron together. One of the reasons I did it this way is hoping that in a bad crash it will allow more shearing/crumpling with mounts on the outside rather than on the end of the frame rail. Maybe I'm way off base as I have no personal experience in this matter, here's hoping I'll never find out.
The headlight brackets. As you can see, I used a combo of the original brackets that bolt to the HL's themselves and some fabbed up shit that serves the purpose.

I'll try to get the lower bar mocked up tomorrow, but I think I'm going to make that one removable as it seems like some more experienced fabricators have mentioned that detail for ease of trailering the car. Thanks for looking.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #48
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Got home and was able to get the lower bar bent and welded on before the wife had to leave for school. Going to make this removable to, but I think I'll keep the upper bar permanent.

Seems to be coming along. I should be able some more done tonight. I think I'll pull the dash out and remove the ac stuff and weld up those holes as well.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #49
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Probably more pics than neccesary but here ya go.
Boxed in the "fismo" power brace. I think my welds are finally getting better as far as dialing in the welder, just need to work on welding straighter.

Modified the strut tower brace. It's not completely finished, but the just of the idea is there.

Welded this plate on the firewall where the tower brace will bolt up to, although I'm not sure it's enough on its own. Probably going weld something in behind there under the winshield wiper. Just not sure how I'm going to do it. That part of the firewall isn't sturdy enough for me so I'll have to get creative and go overboard as usual.

And a gratuitous shot of tonights work dudebro'n it up.

I've also come to terms with the fact that this build isn't as sketchy as I thought, because of the lack of shit talkers leaving their humorous smack talk. But on the other side, it also lacks that "special sauce" that gets everyone "e-jizzing" all over it. So I'm content with an in the middle build. Maybe once I exit the military, I'll go beg for a job at an automotive fab shop. That way I can learn how to do this shit the right way, instead of the "well I'm tired of staring at it, so I'm just going to weld this here, and that there, I guess it's good enough" way that I'm currently using.
As always, thanks for looking.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #50
PG BOOSTED
Zilvia Junkie

PG BOOSTED is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice dude your getting there.
PG BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #51
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Got just a few things done, not much tho.
Stitch welded some more seams

Then I braced/stiffened my 3 poit strut brace

hopefully i'll be able to get more stuff done tonight, i just need to figure out what is needed to get this bay painted. I heard at one of my local meets awhile back that if I'm going to track the car that i should tie the strut towers to the firewall. Not sure if my brace meets that requirement or if i should weld permanent braces from the towers to the firewall. I'm probably doing too much at this point.

Last edited by ShadowMan; 04-08-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #52
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Seeing how this build is already above and beyond my initial intentions, and I'm getting pressed for time and money, I'm thinking of just using POR15 for the entire bay instead of paint. This is no show car and far from impressive anyway, so I'm thinking this is the most cost effective and durable route to take. But if it's a bad idea, I'm willing to listen to reason. It "seems" to be a great choice, pretty forgiving in the prep work and its durable, so it should handle the abuse of removing and installing the motor multiple times. Plus I won't be butthurt if I ding it like I would if I took the time to properly paint it. I'm not set on it yet tho, I swear.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #53
Taylor008
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Taylor008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was supposed to be asleep 20 minutes ago but I had to read your damn thread.

Stop making it so cool.

I want your ducting. Keep going, this build rocks.
Taylor008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #54
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor008 View Post
I was supposed to be asleep 20 minutes ago but I had to read your damn thread.

Stop making it so cool.

I want your ducting. Keep going, this build rocks.
Thanks for the compliment. I know how you feel, getting hooked on other peoples thread til the wee hours of the morning.
Also decided how I want to tie in the outer frame with the Rad/IC core support. Now that I've got it in there, it seemed like the obvious answer along, I just couldn't see it. I guess that shows me inexperience, but I'd like to think I'm slowly getting this fab stuff figured out.

I'll get better pictures once I get both sides in place. But I think this is a step in the right direction towards getting the bay painted.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #55
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Cool project. I would way rather read a thread like this than just another "stance" build.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #56
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Wow man, this is some good stuff. You did some good work on that tube front for just angle cutting with no pipe-bender. Keep it up, interested to see where this goes.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #57
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

BRNDCK-Yeah, I really want to race it, probably drift/autocross as best I can for an all around ride. I have 800 for race sprares and tires, so I'm thinking, still looking.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #58
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

dazed-i wasnt sure at first but it seems to be coming together now. Thankyou
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #59
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Got a bit more done today. Also used some scraps to make a table, which would have been nice to have all along, but what can you do?
The table

And the front 98% finished

Also welded up some unneccesary holes in the bay. Just need to throw on a few more welds, a couple tabs to mount the PS resevoir-coolant overflow-FPR, and then just a bit of grinding here and there. Also got the all the stuff to POR15 everything, which I'm hopeful will happen tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #60
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
I was going to POR15 my bay and then decided against it. Not because its a bad idea but because I know I'd want a shiny awesome looking bay that matches the exterior color as well. Interested to see how it turns out though.