Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Devocat

Trader Rating: (0)
Devocat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Destined To Fail.

Hey my names Devo, I'm from toronto ontario and this is my s14's build thread. Ive never had a project or anything like that before so yeah. anyway heregoes:

So it's not a secret that these cars like to disappear. They rust like crazy, especially in wonderful Ontario. Even if you buy one from the south, as soon as it gets to a winter here, its days are numbered. Looking at the car, I didn't think it was that bad. Granted, I didn't really know what I was looking for. Sure, It had some bubbles in the rockers, who cares. When I managed to kick holes through all of them, I certainly did, and I was pretty shocked. It was not a job I could do on my own. I had never welded, I fucking **** body work, and my attention to detail absolutely fucking sucks. Anyway, I needed help. I asked around, lots of people said they were going to help me but were either too far or hard to get too, or just fell through (with reason). Till I texted my friend Mike. He has a dope exhaust shop in Oshawa, a town over, and said he would help me out. I brought the car there and got started. I can honestly say this build would not have happened without Mike,, so before I even dive really deep into it, I owe you a sincere thank you. On to the pictures:
The day I bought it, Sitting on the Lot

At my buddy trevors place, on his driveway (Because my parents wouldn't let me park it on my drive way) . I had to fix a headlight

In the parkinglot behind my house, Lots of skids were had there

The day after I kicked the holes in the rockers; I tried just putting tape over them to see if a shop would pass it, but they obviously declined. I even bondo'd over the tape!!(sarcasm) (it was a fucking mess)

So i drove it to mikes place, after understandably failing that safety. Here it is beside his s13 coupe project the day i brought it there:

Then we started digging in on the rockers; They were worst than i thought

After some time and some hard work, we finished the rockers. They were done. Finally. So many late nights at the shop, so much stress and even more 79 cent drinks from mac's. But here it was:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5506/1...af6e20a4_c.jpg
We had to rebuild the rear quarter panel which sucked and honestly took the longest to finish out of every other part of the build; Mostly because of how incompetant I am at body work. Even finished it still looks kinda fucked up, but I'm no expert. Just a kid trying to learn.

[IMG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3827/10584310993_ec903d11ab_c.jpg /IMG]

And in the end I'm left with the car I've always wanted: after all these hours of work, I have a (relatively) rust free stock 1995 Nissan 240sx LE. The whole underside is rocker guarded, and there isn't a spec of visible rust or any holes anywhere on the car at all. I was way too excited about this.

Fun Stuff :devillook:

anyway so after all that Im left with a solid platform to build on: It already has an LSD, so the idea for the build is Coilovers, Rims, Aero, Drift (Not in any particular order)
As for aero, I can't afford nice things, nor do I want nice things for this car. So first things first, deal with those ugly rockers; Duraflex sideskirts ordered. Lots of trouble from UPS but had it home and waiting on my front porch thanks to some super helpful neighbors.

Fitted to the car, they fit like absolute shit. Whatever, thats extreme dimensions for ya.

As I drove the car around I noticed a nasty exhaust knock coming from the muffler rattling and hitting both the frame of the car and the hanger. The cars second home is GT Custom exhaust so I decided one day to do a muffler delete and straight pipe it. Whatever

Looked pretty cool from the side. Had 2 and a quarter inch piping, two stock cats and the stock resonator; sounded perfect for a daily IMO. My old car was stupid loud and I ***** it, so this is a nice throaty noise that doesn’t drone and attract a stupid amount of attention from the cops. well, sorta.

It took a while to grow on me, but now I love it

I drove it around for a while like this; it was cool and stuff but the stock shocks started getting really annoying. The wheels randomly skipping over bumps and hopping when I did burnouts and bouncing like an idiot everywhere really motivated me to go on to the next step. So onto kijiji I went, and started sourcing some coilovers. I actually called every single JDM dealer in toronto, and nobody had any s14 coilovers; to be honest most didn't even have any s-chassis coilovers at all which was a bit of a surprise. But whatever. I saw a set of HKS Hipermax-D coils locally on kijiji and just pulled the trigger. 600 bucks and I had em home that weekend.

Then I took out the metal collars that act as helper springs but aren't helper springs so I could actually lower the car. They ride awesome, super super stiff, and the perfect ride height IMO. Haven't been more pleased with my car than I am now.

Sure, the car has had a few hiccups. Its a 20 year old car. And a 20 year old 240 at that. They break down for no reason. They wait until you have no money and slap you in the face. Thats just cars.
The first one I had was about three days into having this thing on the road. The rear brakes just took a shit. Driving through a construction zone, I guess a rock got caught between the caliper and the pad, and destroyed everything. I have no photos of this, but im sure you can imagine the damage. I managed to get to the nearest partsource just in time (brakes broke at 930pm), and got what I needed to get home safely that night. Thanks again to Chris de la cruz, martino, roel, kris nolan and everyone who helped. Seriously.

The next one wasn't so fun. I wasn't actually able to drive the car home. Or anywhere really. Because my clutch softener line exploded. And i mean exploded. So its 11 oclock at night, i just get off work and am heading to meet some friends. One pump and the clutch feels normal. Second pump the clutch hits the floor and only comes half way up. Third pump and the clutch kinda just goes thunk* and doesnt come back up. Keep in mind i was driving the car the whole time. So that was a fun surprise.

Next day, back home it goes to GT where mike let me use his jack and tools to get my car fixed. I guess its a sort of forced clutch softener delete. It was a bit of monkeying around, but Jay ended up selling me a stainless steel direct clutch master to slave line for like 30 bucks. So thats cool. Having awesome helpful friends is always good. Got that in and even made it to work the same day.

Then little stuff happened. Forgot the car was lowered and just drove into a gas station parkinglot like i was in a 4x4 or something and did this

but whatever, the sideskirts are so far gone I dont even care anymore. Wheels are in the future.

Found these for a dope price, 17x8 and 17x9 +35 five star wheels that looks sorta like regamasters but not really. I love the way they look, i actually saw them on a back s14 at a drift day and really liked them so its cool that the dudes selling them. Snatching em up this weekend.

and then i drifted into a curb. I've been noticing the LSD acting funny lately, ended up acting funny enough to help me into a little bit of a situation I couldnt get myself out of. It happens. New fluid in it now and its no longer noisey or unpredictable. Got no photos of that because who needs photos of a bunch of dudes standing around watching a couple guys fill a diff with gear oil
Anyway i put the wheels on. Gonna ad some spacers tomorrow. I also painted them white:

and thats where i am now. cars come a bit of a ways. let me know what you think!

also you'll find much more more detail and many more photos and stuff on my instagram, @devocat

moar pix

so yeah its a work in progress, but w/e. Got some 25mm spacers to throw in, and some more for the front to sort out the poke issues.
Devocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links