Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #391
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Tim sweet cage on that s13. I am a big fan of dimple died gusseting but it always seems like customers dont want to pay for that option. Most people dont realize just how much strength and rigidity those will add.

Well worth the extra labor if you ask me.

I am going to be building a cage similar to this for my fc.

Should be pretty sweet. Silver state classic here I come.

If I can figure out the aero, and determine the car to be safe. My top speed should be 219 mph at 7050rpm. Woot.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #392
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Thanks Luke. The gussets really help a lot with the strength of the chassis with the cage. And it's really worth it to get them. I've actually been doing a lot of them in my cages. And the ones that didnt opt for them now are trying to schedule to get them done now.

I love the BMW cages. Those a-pillar gussets are amazing. I want to know how they make them. Some awesome jig? A really old man with a hammer, a torch and a bean bag? Some other way?

But I'll be starting on my brother's supra next week. I plan on going a little crazy with it. I'm excited to finally be doing a car where I can do whatever I want. The only part that sucks is no one is paying for it.

Tim
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #393
lazierhobo
Zilvia Member

lazierhobo is on the path to ruinlazierhobo is on the path to ruin
no, i just wanted to see close up how you were going to do it.

i have no doubt of your mad fab skills
lazierhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #394
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Tim. That should be fun. I hope you take some pictures and share them with us. Do you tig all your cages?

lazierhobo: Thanks. I will shoot some pics when I make all the plates and whatnot.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #395
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
lazierhobo,
Those tripods cups are really nice. Damn.

Luke, nice automated pre-heater! The BMW Motorsport shells are so nice. The Tecmark E46s have the nicest exhaust note and make really good power.

Here's my coolant outlet/CAS heatshield I started this morning. .035 Ti alloy, with 2600 degree carbon cloth and .010 stainless waffle sheet. Its not finished yet, but I will post pics of the finished product when its done.

driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #396
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Maximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to behold
We have this at my work, and the cage is very nice. Has NASCAR bars on the outside with X bars on the inside on the drivers door. I forget what the passenger side has, but we just moved it back in yesterday. I can probably take some pics and shit if you guys want.

Maximamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #397
blu808
Post Whore!

Bill. You are the man!

Maximamike: That would be killer.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #398
tpetrucci33
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
tpetrucci33 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This Thred Is Addicting!!!!!!!!!!!
tpetrucci33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #399
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Maximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Bill. You are the man!

Maximamike: That would be killer.
We also have last years GTO-R that won the triple crown and a Porsche that won the 24 Hours of Lemans. But that GTO is pretty much a full on tube chassis car and looks nothing like the BMW/Porsche which are unibody cars. What do you guys want pics of?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #400
blu808
Post Whore!

the cages. the fuel cell setups, the coolers, the pedal setups. basically anything would be awesome.

Lets turn that gto into a drift car. Lol
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #401
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Mike,
RJ is really that loaded huh. Damn, I'm gonna have to come down to F1 indoors to check those cars out (is that M3 a GTR?). When does the outdoor track open? I want to do some more RM1 driving this year. There is more time with less rallies, and a lot cheaper than running my car.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #402
J ROK
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
J ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really niceJ ROK is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im just gonna tip-toe quietly into this thread.
My skill level is nowhere near most of you guys, but im still proud of my work, and getting better.

Small Lincoln MIG welder. flux-core ( getting gas soon) I used to have access to a TIG but nott anymore sooo, now im back to this MIG. I'll be getting a tank soon.

Cutting Quarters to make room for 18's.

Moved cable E-brake to a more efficient spot.

Custom headlights, gonna put some kinda fog light in there, probly small rectangles
J ROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #403
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
the cages. the fuel cell setups, the coolers, the pedal setups. basically anything would be awesome.

Lets turn that gto into a drift car. Lol
They're all on display at my work but I'll see what I can do. There's a shitload of spares down the street at the warehouse(wheels, wings, etc). We also have spares for the BMW and a bunch of other crazy shit(Trans Am engine, Indy car engine(oh yeah, we have one of those too), etc)If you want your own GTO-R..

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...o_r/index.html
Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #404
lazierhobo
Zilvia Member

lazierhobo is on the path to ruinlazierhobo is on the path to ruin
i wonder what will happen to the sport when drift cars go to full tube frame chassis with more than just street tires....

does anyone have CAD models of any s13 suspension parts? im mostly looking for the rear subframe.
lazierhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #405
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftstyre View Post
Mike,
RJ is really that loaded huh. Damn, I'm gonna have to come down to F1 indoors to check those cars out (is that M3 a GTR?). When does the outdoor track open? I want to do some more RM1 driving this year. There is more time with less rallies, and a lot cheaper than running my car.
Haha, yeah he's pretty ballin. We have a few cars on rotation that go through the indoor track. Scott Pruet's old indy car, Viper comp coupe, Grand Am BMW, GTO-R, and the Porsche. First practice is April 19th, first race day is April 20th. I cannot wait to go back out there, but I'm not in such good standings so we'll see if I even last that long. You guys hiring? Haha..

BTW, we currently have the GTO-R, Viper, and BMW on display now. The Porsche is in that big ass conference room we have at the end so it may or may not be open if you came in.

Edit 2: The BMW ran in the GT class.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #406
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazierhobo View Post
i wonder what will happen to the sport when drift cars go to full tube frame chassis with more than just street tires....
You won't see many privateer's running anymore.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #407
blu808
Post Whore!

so is there like an indoor track or something? pm me.

for the rest of you. stay on topic not to kill this thread.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #408
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Luke,
There is F1 Boston, which is two indoor tracks, elevation changes, tunnels etc. Its supposedly the best indoor track in the country. The outdoor track is also one of the best in the country and even has a banked 180 turn. I haven't got to run the banked turn yet, but hopefully this year. Mike runs the show at the outdoor track during the warm months. My buddy has two RM1s, so I get to drive one The track founder and owner, RJ Valentine, is loaded and owns some serious equipment, and has been racing for a long time.
www.f1boston.com
www.f1outdoors.com

Sorry about the off topic. I'll keep it on.

Quote:
so is there like an indoor track or something? pm me.

for the rest of you. stay on topic not to kill this thread.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #409
atown 240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
atown 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
U guys need to start a thread to give tips/suggestions for building a cage. I want to do mine but i'm scared to start and end up F'n everything up.

And to stay on topic Here's something i'm working on right now. First time i've ever attempted to build anything from scratch.

Coolant resivour for my s13

atown 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #410
dftsilvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
dftsilvia is on the path to ruindftsilvia is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
custom elbow/downpipe for my ka-t setup with a rb25 turbo

manifold

on the car
dftsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #411
atown 240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
atown 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Lol, that mani could be considered a side mount

Getting closer to being done

atown 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #412
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Finished up the heatshield for the coolant outlet and CAS. I included 3 layers of the carbon aerospace material.
Next is a larger one for the master cylinders and the last will be to jacket the 2nd half of the exhaust with this combination of materials, otherwise my feet will melt (even more so than before)

Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #413
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
^^^ Wow that looks fantastic - I know they use that "bubble" stuff a lot on instrument packages in jets (I was an Aircraft Electronics Tech), I bet it'll work wonders on keeping that CAS and coolant cool. I want to see what you think about keeping your feet cool, as that's a big thing for me as well in my coming build ~ what do you think about just "gold foiling" the firewall/under the drivers seat area?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #414
blu808
Post Whore!

good point jordan. I was also wondering if you knew where to get that gold foil stuff.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #415
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
good point jordan. I was also wondering if you knew where to get that gold foil stuff.
Enjuku sells it

http://storesense.megawebservers.com...ilm/Detail.bok

awesome stuff
Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #416
boozels
Zilvia Addict

boozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to all
gold foil works great
i <3 it

t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com
boozels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #417
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
McRusselPants and Steve Shadows have both pointed me towards Baker Precision Parts here in socal - www.bakerprecision.com

12"x24" sheet for like $30.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #418
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
HRP also has a gold foil that has comparable specs and is a little cheaper. I can get if for you at a better price than on their website if you're interested.

Also keep in mind that different materials should be used in different spots on the car based on the type of heat transfer it will be seeing. The gold film is good for reflecting heat. But there are other materials that may be better based on the location of the heat source and what you're trying to insulate the heat from. I'm a big fan of ZeroClearance, it's used on a lot of OE cars and does an amazing job of both reflecting and insulating and has a self adhesive backing. The only problem is, I don't remember where to get it anymore. When I got it before, it was for the FSAE car and we got it directly from either Ford or GM. I'm sure it's available or something comparable is.

Tim
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #419
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Thanks Jordan!

C&R makes the gold and silver foil that HRP sells. The gold is good but the Silver is a lot better for heat reflection. It is cheaper, a little more weight, but thicker and the adhesive used is better as well (less "stiff" and adheres to contours much better). I have had the firewall lined on the outside and inside with gold foil for two years, but there is only so much it will reflect. I honestly think it is better for hoods, airboxes etc, that can't really absorb much heat. I got some silver to cover the firewall "more better"(I've always wanted to say that)

Here are a couple of heatshield pics from a few different cars.

S13 WRC Impreza. I've seen that bronze colored blanket in person and it is about 1/4 inch thick. Not sure what is inside, but probably some aerospace fiberglass type insulation. Rallycars/front engine turbo cars probably have the highest concentrated heat area close to the cockpit which require almost excessive heatshielding. In a turbo LMP (Lola/AER, Audi, Peugeot) I can only assume that the heat will most likely move rearward at speed with a bit of proper ducting. They have one area to block for driver comfort and the rest is component shielding. Maybe an engineer type could chime in on this?

80's Lola Indycar with Buick V6 Turbo motor

Skoda Octavia WRC Evo III (Notice the Pankl Titanium propshaft!!) They really do a nice job insulating the entire cockpit.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #420
fakts13
Zilvia Member

fakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nicefakts13 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
HRP also has a gold foil that has comparable specs and is a little cheaper. I can get if for you at a better price than on their website if you're interested.

Also keep in mind that different materials should be used in different spots on the car based on the type of heat transfer it will be seeing. The gold film is good for reflecting heat. But there are other materials that may be better based on the location of the heat source and what you're trying to insulate the heat from. I'm a big fan of ZeroClearance, it's used on a lot of OE cars and does an amazing job of both reflecting and insulating and has a self adhesive backing. The only problem is, I don't remember where to get it anymore. When I got it before, it was for the FSAE car and we got it directly from either Ford or GM. I'm sure it's available or something comparable is.

Tim
http://www.coolandquiet.com/products_detail.cfm?PID=4
First thing that came up with a google search.
fakts13 is offline   Reply With Quote