Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
HB JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
SR SR20DET Bog/dying issue

Hey guys I really need some help with this since I'm pretty bad at diagnosing problems. I have a stock 92 s13 redtop motor and its starting to have issues. Originally it would just hesitate when pushing on the gas then pick up around 3k, but now it has trouble starting (it does turn over though) and wont idle unless you hold the rpms at 1200 for 10~ seconds. Once you actually get the car moving it starts to bog, buck, and hesitate and if you let off the gas it will completely die out on you around 1700-2000rpms. Also on a side note, the car would die when you pressed in the clutch after accelerating before this issue. The car needs a new water pump but i doubt it would be causing this issue.

TPS is good
MAF is good
Fuel Pump is good
No boost leak
New spark plugs and new fuel filter

Im pretty lost up to this point. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, or for more detail just lmk. thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
fufanu180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
fufanu180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Try checking the grounds on the intake manifold...and anywhere else for that matter.

Also which spark plugs are you using?
fufanu180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Im using NGK BK7RE plugs, ill work on checking the grounds tomorrow when its not raining
Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
napz510
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (36)
napz510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Check your fuel pressure if what you have..you may have a clog filter or dying pump. Also your coolant temp sensor...any ecu fault or codes?
napz510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
also check for a leak between the MAF and turbo inlet. check your blow off valve too if you have one. if its open at idle, it will cause the same problem your experiencing.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Have you checked your timing?
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
also check for a leak between the MAF and turbo inlet. check your blow off valve too if you have one. if its open at idle, it will cause the same problem your experiencing.
Will do, I slightly glanced at it before and didnt notice anything though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the BOV, its a pretty old ebay one that only works half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Have you checked your timing?
No not yet, Ill check it, I was also thinking it could be the CAS going out? Any possibilities that could be it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by napz510 View Post
Check your fuel pressure if what you have..you may have a clog filter or dying pump. Also your coolant temp sensor...any ecu fault or codes?
I unfortunately dont have a gauge for my Nismo FPR, I thought it could be the pump dying, but every time I check it it works fine and whoever owned the ecu before me really messed up the lights and screw to check for codes so thats a no go
Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Could it be the alternator? The car idles fine and starts up right away when being charged by another car.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
have the battery charge by a shop or parts store that can fully charge the battery, if the problem goes away, then it`s either your alternator or battery.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #10
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
have the battery charge by a shop or parts store that can fully charge the battery, if the problem goes away, then it`s either your alternator or battery.
I doubt its the battery, i just bought a new one 2 weeks ago, and these issues were present before then, just not to this extent. It could be a defective battery though.

Last edited by HB JDM; 11-14-2011 at 08:13 AM..
HB JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Tested the alternator today, its good, checked over the ground on the motor and they all seem to be good. Igniter chip maybe?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
S14Lee
Zilvia Member

S14Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
its your bov just went though the same problem with the cheap ebay bov i got. bought a new turboxs rfl and installed it and now no more idling problems and car is running like a champ
S14Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Ok, so it seems like all my issues are caused by my battery not being able to hold a charge while driving, the alternator is not charging it yet the alternator was tested and it was good. Going to get it tested again, the battery holds a charge when the car is not on though.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #14
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Could your plugs be fouled possibly?

Are you 100% sure you don't have a leak in the piping or the vacuum system? That's what it sounds like to me.

If your alternator is not working then you need to replace that first that is a huge issue right there.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
HB JDM
Zilvia Member

Went through my wiring and my cable from the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery was frayed and corroded, car starts, charges, and holds power fine now, still having this dying issue with the clutch and the power/hesitation issue might actually be my turbo going out, looks like there might be small drops of oil coming from it and it makes a whining noise when picking up for boost, and it doesnt even start picking up until 2900~ now, whining is like the bearings have gone bad, no excess smoke out the exhaust though
Old 12-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
anarchyperf
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
anarchyperf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB JDM View Post
Went through my wiring and my cable from the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery was frayed and corroded, car starts, charges, and holds power fine now, still having this dying issue with the clutch and the power/hesitation issue might actually be my turbo going out, looks like there might be small drops of oil coming from it and it makes a whining noise when picking up for boost, and it doesnt even start picking up until 2900~ now, whining is like the bearings have gone bad, no excess smoke out the exhaust though
Are you sure it's the bearing whining and not a cracked manifold or gasket leak?
anarchyperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB JDM View Post
Same thing happened to my RB. Sounds kinda like a super charger? Thats the CHRA seizing up. Still, check your BOV. A lot of symptoms you described sound like a bov issue.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote