Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
reflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to reflexdb
s14 Apexi GT Spec vs. N1 Dual Exhaust for S14 SR20

I'm trying to decide between these two systems to finish off my S14 SR20 build. I see advantages and disadvantages of both parts though...does anyone have experience with these?

My goals are usable power and corrosion resistance is important (even though I won't be driving my car at all during the winter).

GT Spec
Advantages:
-Full stainless construction
-Max high end power

Disadvantages:
-Single muffler (not my favorite look)

N1 Dual

Advantages:
-High end power and increased mid-range power
-Dual muffler (more my style)

Disadvantages:
-Mild steel construction (up to muffler), although it is titanium particle coated.

Basically, for the mid-range power and style I would go for the N1 Dual hands down if it was full stainless. Any helpful opinions?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you actually going to order the Apexi.... or the apexi style wanna be ebay muffler..

Unless you plan on keeping this for 10 more years either has enough corossion resistance. Neither one makes more power. If you think mufflers are going to tune "power curves" then you should probably quit reading super street.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The N1 Dual has horrible ground clearance. Add that to your thoughts before buying.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Dual N1 is a huge piece of shit. It sits low, yet some portions were sitting too high and hitting my driveshaft/undercarriage. I had the exhaust for a week before I took it off.

Shit, the SSAC ones fit better then the Dual N1's they were designed after.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

reflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
Are you actually going to order the Apexi.... or the apexi style wanna be ebay muffler..

Unless you plan on keeping this for 10 more years either has enough corossion resistance. Neither one makes more power. If you think mufflers are going to tune "power curves" then you should probably quit reading super street.
I use real parts, not shitty knock-offs. Personally, I don't have experience with either of these, that's why I'm asking for opinions from people who do have them. Apexi says on the product description (found here: Apexi-USA - GT Spec and here: Apexi-USA - N1 Dual) that the two systems have different characteristics. It's definitely reasonably considering the piping diameter is different between the two systems. i.e. Larger diameter piping --> reduced back-pressure --> increased power output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
The N1 Dual has horrible ground clearance. Add that to your thoughts before buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Dual N1 is a huge piece of shit. It sits low, yet some portions were sitting too high and hitting my driveshaft/undercarriage. I had the exhaust for a week before I took it off.

Shit, the SSAC ones fit better then the Dual N1's they were designed after.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if the fitment of the GT Spec is any better. Does anyone have experience with it?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I believe the GT spec sits rather low as well. Expect to have ground clearance issues if you're slammed on either exhaust, or any for that matter...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
z2roll4life7
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
z2roll4life7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i have the N1 Dual and Yes its sit low if ur Slammed DONT BUY em Be honest i wish i never got em and just took my Car for a Custom 3 inch exhaust would of saved me 300 bucks and i wouldnt care everytime i Scrap them going over Drive ways and What not
z2roll4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
So you think GT-Spec is awesome because of the over-rated piping sizing? Just to let you in the lil joke about it, ask them what size the resonator is. The fuck is the point of having 90mm pipes when the resonator you have chokes the fucking exhaust up with its 75mm inlet?

You want big piping...Kakimoto exhaust bar none...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
bones321
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
bones321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bones321
just go Buddy Club Spec II, it sounds sexy as hell on an SR and cant go wrong with the piping on it

It will take me a while to get hard I just got layed last night
bones321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Blitz Nur Spec R is what I've settled on BUT....I replaced the resonator with a straight pipe.

Solved my ground clearance problem and sounds amazing!

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
So you think GT-Spec is awesome because of the over-rated piping sizing? Just to let you in the lil joke about it, ask them what size the resonator is. The fuck is the point of having 90mm pipes when the resonator you have chokes the fucking exhaust up with its 75mm inlet?

You want big piping...Kakimoto exhaust bar none...
The Kakimoto parts do look pretty legit judging by their website. Are there any U.S. distributors?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
Blitz Nur Spec R is what I've settled on BUT....I replaced the resonator with a straight pipe.

Solved my ground clearance problem and sounds amazing!
Been there, done that...cut the flange out too and make it into a 1-piece exhaust. My old S14 was slammed so low that when I change lanes on the freeway, that flange would catch road reflectors ever so often...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
mbmbmb23
Zilvia Contributor

Trader Rating: (1)
mbmbmb23 is on the path to ruinmbmbmb23 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the Apexi dual for my S13 (yes, not s14) and it sits low...but if you switch to aftermarket urethane exhaust hangers and have all the exhaust bolts tightened to hell with airtools on a lift it helps clearance a bit. I know you dont use "cheap" parts but the SSAC N1 dual is supposidly full stainless and folks here say it fits nicely. Also, have you looked at any oval canister exhausts? (ex mag, realize tt) I think their looks are way better than standard fart cans. A few years ago i saw a special exition realize tt offered in full stainless.....there may be some blitz dealers with that available as new old stock. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
SrRaycer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
SrRaycer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have the the Apexi GT spec on my 14. I dont know what you guys are talking about. The GT spec has great ground clearance and the resonator does not choke the exhaust. The exhaust piping starts at 3", then after the resonator it goes to 3.5", then 3.75" right before the muffler.

Also the GT spec sounds great, nice low tone
SrRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Been there, done that...cut the flange out too and make it into a 1-piece exhaust. My old S14 was slammed so low that when I change lanes on the freeway, that flange would catch road reflectors ever so often...
Nice! I couldn't make it over a single speed bump without dragging my resonator, after I repaired the hole 2 or three times, I just said no more. I love the sound but it is a bit loud under boost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmbmb23 View Post
I have the Apexi dual for my S13 (yes, not s14) and it sits low...but if you switch to aftermarket urethane exhaust hangers
Good words of advise, they help astronomically when compared to the worn rubber ones. CS makes a set for under $20 I think.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
silvia13t14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
silvia13t14 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silvia13t14
Great feedback on the exhaust. I have a s13 with a s14 sr w/ the gt spec I think the exhaust is great.
After I installed it I saw huge difference in mid range. But I agree about the ground clerance it sits to low by the resonator
I hit a good couple of times so I reposition the piping haven't had a problem since. Then again my car sits low so it alson
Depens on the ride height of ur car.
silvia13t14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
roplusbee
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
roplusbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to roplusbee Send a message via MSN to roplusbee Send a message via Yahoo to roplusbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia13t14 View Post
Great feedback on the exhaust. I have a s13 with a s14 sr w/ the gt spec I think the exhaust is great.
After I installed it I saw huge difference in mid range. But I agree about the ground clerance it sits to low by the resonator
I hit a good couple of times so I reposition the piping haven't had a problem since. Then again my car sits low so it alson
Depens on the ride height of ur car.

What do you mean by low? I am going to running the Apexi GT also, I just want a gauge of how low i can go before clearance is an issue. I.E. road reflectors, speed bumps, reversed spike strips (I tore up 2 SSAutoChrome caniisters on those). I am hoping that it will all work out for a good balance between clearance and nice stance, lol.

1989 240SX - 1JZGTE | Stance | Apexi GT | LMGT2
roplusbee is offline   Reply With Quote