Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
boris13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
boris13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SR Sr20 running horrible help!!

Ok first of thanks for looking and trying to help today i had hooked up my maf and break boost hose and started the sr took her to get some gas and it feels like crap.I rev and it wont boost or it will spool very little about 3psi i dont have a boost gadge so i cant tell the blow off valve has a compressor surge and wen i got home it was smoking white/gray and i heard a fait ticking coming from the valve cover im not too sure on how to set up my vacuum hoses and i get a code 12 wen i run a diagnostic i have a sohc maf with the sohc maf plug wired right im stumped i need my car by the 30 for school any help would be appriciated!!!
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
boris13
Zilvia Member

bump.........
Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
89JDM240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
89JDM240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you have the Sr Maf? What kind of gas did you use? You could a bad wastegate... It might be getting stuck open
89JDM240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
boris13
Zilvia Member

Im using a sohc maf with 91 premium gas i had taken it around the block and it feels slow and it wont boost up it and the blow off valve bearly blows off and i can already hear the compressor surge and i hear a taping coming from the valve cover i was thinking the VCT but im not sure thanks for replying im stumped
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
boris13
Zilvia Member

would a bad maf cause the car to not run right and smoke up?? the maf came off my ka24e and was working on it so i know its in good condition
Old 01-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
boris13
Zilvia Member

bumppppp..............
Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
spools420a
Zilvia Junkie

spools420a is a well-known jackass
sounds like a boost leak,the ticking is usually a sign that theres a leak at the exhaust manifold which will make a tick sound from the valves.
spools420a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
boris13
Zilvia Member

ok heres how i have my vacuums set up on the throttle body top left is going to the fpr top right is going to the top nipple on my blow off valve and the bottom left is going to the waist gate is this correct i dont have my egr connected would it create a boost leak? im also using a ka sohc maf idk if it would work ive searched and read that it will work??
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
boris13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spools420a View Post
sounds like a boost leak,the ticking is usually a sign that theres a leak at the exhaust manifold which will make a tick sound from the valves.
and when i rev it my blow off valve wont blow off only when i drive it but you can bearly hear it thanks for the help
Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
89JDM240sx
Zilvia Member

Ok... You need a Z32 or the stock Maf... Sohc Mafs don't read enough air for the Sr comp it'll run like crap...
Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
boris13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89JDM240sx View Post
Ok... You need a Z32 or the stock Maf... Sohc Mafs don't read enough air for the Sr comp it'll run like crap...
mk im about to go get one ill let you know when i swap it out but wouldnt i need a tune for it to run right? i would need the plug for it as well right and my egr isnt connected would it cause a boost leak?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
boris13
Zilvia Member

Would it run like crap and not spool do to an exhaust leak.?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
You mentioned VTC. Do you own an S14 SR20DET? If so, a SOHC KA MAF will NOT work. If you own an S13 engine, with the #62 or #E5 ECU, then it does not have VTC, and a SOHC KA maf WILL work just fine.

#2 how long have you owned the engine. Smoking on initial startup is normal if it is the first time you have ever run the engine since it came from japan. that should go away in about 2hours-5hours of run time.

#3 Faint tapping from the valve cover of SR20DET engines is normal... FAINT tapping... it should be barely audible click click click click with no abnormal clicks in between.

#4 You said you dont have a boost gauge, and then you mentioned 3psi. There is no way for you to tell how much boost you have without a gauge, you need a gauge.

#5 Boost leaks cause serious problem for MAF engines. make a boost leak checker, and find all the small leaks in your plumbing, it will make the car run right, if everything else is right.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
boris13
Zilvia Member

K it's an s13 sr20det red top #62 ecu with a KA sohc Maf thanks for the reply yes it was the first time I actually got it running and stay running ok I got the swap with a half ass exhaust literally cut in half thus making a major exhaust leak.? I'm going to buy a full 3inch exhaust tomorrow and take it to a muffler shop to have the dwn pipe welded right and see how it goes I will also buy a boost gadge and a air to fuel ratio gadge as well like I said thanks for the help it's very appriciated tapping went away trying to find the vac leak today it has a t25 turbo but with a ghetto exhaust would it cause the turbo not to build boost.? And my blow off valve wont blow off as well sorry I'm a newb to sr20s I got tired of the ka and wanted to go turbo so I'm learning as I go I did the swap by my self.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
89JDM240sx
Zilvia Member

Let us know how it goes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
boris13
Zilvia Member

Well I changed the Maf and it got worse I still have the KA stock fuel pump and filter on..

I think that could be another factor to the problem I'm going to buy a 300zx TT fuel filter and put the walboro fuel pump on today after court -__-

I also got a boost gauge and im going to hook it up today as well hopefully that sorts everything out and I got another question on the right side of my valve cover (standing in front of the car) there's a hose that T's off into the valve cover and I'm guessing to a black box?(oil catch res.) and were it T's off its nt connected to anything.. Could that cause a boost leak? If so were do I hook it up to my egr??

Again thanks for the help guys!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
boris13
Zilvia Member

UPDATE!!

So i put the 300zx tt fuel filter on and i also put a walboro fuel pump on and a boost gauge and she pulled beautiful but then started lagging and died and alot i mean alot of white smoke was coming out wen i opend her up any ideas what it could be now??
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris13 View Post
Well I changed the Maf and it got worse I still have the KA stock fuel pump and filter on..

I think that could be another factor to the problem I'm going to buy a 300zx TT fuel filter and put the walboro fuel pump on today after court -__-

I also got a boost gauge and im going to hook it up today as well hopefully that sorts everything out and I got another question on the right side of my valve cover (standing in front of the car) there's a hose that T's off into the valve cover and I'm guessing to a black box?(oil catch res.) and were it T's off its nt connected to anything.. Could that cause a boost leak? If so were do I hook it up to my egr??

Again thanks for the help guys!!
that T that goes into the catchcan i think then goes into the exhaust manifold. if it is going into the atmosphere, that would cause a boost/vac leak
Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
89JDM240sx
Zilvia Member

Are those the stock injectors? How much boost is it running?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
boris13
Zilvia Member

Yea it has stock injectors I have another pair of injectors sitting here when I took her around the block the boost gauge read 8-10psi?

And at idle she reads -10/11.?? When I shifted it fluttered as well I haven't changed the spark plugs or sea foamed it.. Nt sure if it would make a difference
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
boris13
Zilvia Member

Bumpp.????
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #22
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
That other side of the T goes to the intake pipe in the rubber hose on the opening closest to the turbo from what I could picture in my head. Also what BOV are you using, is it recirculated? At idle your boost gauge should be about 20hg [-20] if thats how your reading it. I'm guessing this SR is not stock? Are you using a boost controller/wastegate of any sort?
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89JDM240sx View Post
This is false, you can run a sohc maf just fine. I ran one till I melted a piston(Which had nothing to do with the maf).

Just putting it out there.
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
boris13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
This is false, you can run a sohc maf just fine. I ran one till I melted a piston(Which had nothing to do with the maf).

Just putting it out there.
k cuz from what i heard i need a z32 maf and im running a SOHC KA MAF so i should be good on that
Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #25
boris13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicelyphe View Post
That other side of the T goes to the intake pipe in the rubber hose on the opening closest to the turbo from what I could picture in my head. Also what BOV are you using, is it recirculated? At idle your boost gauge should be about 20hg [-20] if thats how your reading it. I'm guessing this SR is not stock? Are you using a boost controller/wastegate of any sort?
K im using a greddy type S? and i dont have a boost controller just a boost gauge im going to post pics of what im talking about so u guys know what im trying to fix
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
boris13
Zilvia Member

This is what my boost gauge reads on idle

this is my blow off valve i only have one hose connected to the top nipple nothing connected to the bottom

this is the hose i was talking about it was not connected to anything but i got a hose and connected it to my egr? you can see it next to the black catch can

im really stumped i just want to be able to drive my 240 its bin soo long but at the same time i dont want to rush and blow my turbo or motor for that fact
Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
^ Get rid of all the egr stuff.

Quote:
k cuz from what i heard i need a z32 maf and im running a SOHC KA MAF so i should be good on that
You can't run a Z32 Maf without some kind of tuning.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
boris13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
^ Get rid of all the egr stuff.

You can't run a Z32 Maf without some kind of tuning.
How do I get rid of the egr stuff.?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Take a pic of your whole engine bay so we can see how you even hooked it up, I didn't even know one could run a egr on an sr. Did the Sr come with that?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Yea get rid of the EGR stuff, Also are you running the stock rubber intake pipe? There should be two ends coming out of the intake pipe, one being for you to put a hose on the big round opening of that greddy BOV to the intake pipe [RECIRCULATING IT], then that hose you have from the T going to the EGR your going to take it off the EGR and connect that hose to the other input on the intake hose. I'll grab pics for you when I'm out of work later today also.

The boost gauge should be reading 20 in vac rather than 10. May be leaking somewhere, get a can of carb cleaner/starting fluid and spray it around hoses that air travel through, should have a change in idle if the fluid enters a leaky spot. You have your Idle air control valve hose connected to the intercooler cold pipe correct? Make sure those clamps are tight as well.

Also I'd watch out for that loom of wires near the exhaust manifold. And where do you have your turbo's wastegate vacuum line going from/to.
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote