Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
notmisfit

Trader Rating: (0)
notmisfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to notmisfit
(S13) Tokico Blues & Megan Lowering Springs

Dust off my NICO & FA accounts so figured I may as well my Zilvia too if for no other purpose than archiving for the few people who use the search feature.

Well I finally did something to the car after having it for 6 years. I figured I should post up some pictures of the 240SX before and after the drop. I researched quite a bit before I settled on this combination and found maybe 2 pictures, not a hell of alot. Both products seemed to get positive reviews so here I am. I took a few pictures of the installation process and theres alot of before and afters (I hate working with spring compressors.) Also from the cardomain update - The reason for this is the fact that I DD this car and won't be tracking it for at least a year or 2 while I get other things up to snuff. I also didn't want it to be slammed because I've had slammed cars and they can be a real PITA to drive in the city. You don't need JDM TYTE coilovers for DD driving, don't let the forum kids fool you, most of them have stock suspension but internet drift like hardasses, yes that may mean you.

I'm not trying to plug my cardomain but I'm not going to put a bunch of html links to pictures I don't have uploaded somewhere else so here it is:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3327507

So far, which is all of 10 miles I am loving them. The car handles alot better, is a bit stiffer, but at the same time it absorbs bumps a hell of alot better. Oh, and its slightly lower as well, if I had to gauge it 2.5 fingers per wheels is about right, 3 is pushing it and I have skinny fingers. If you dig around they've been tested as a 1.75" drop all around so that is pretty much on point as I could fist+ super gauge it before. While not related to that - I purchased new KYB shock boots with bump stops for all 4 corners and trimmed them 1/4" each, $60 well spent considering the condition of the pre-existing ones, thanks Tirerack!!!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll update this thread once they've settled after a couple weeks and I get an allignment. I'm primarily posting this for people who are interested in the combination. I don't need super tyte JDM coilovers for DD duties on a car I won't track for a couple years.

FYI: I got the springs from Welcome to WeSellCarParts: A Place for Car Enthusiasts to Shop and Meet. for $132 shipped. I spammed them with emails concerned about back orders and shipped and I got super quick responses from Dan who kicks a**. I ordered them on a Saturday and got them the following Friday so I was happy. I managed to get all 4 shocks off eBay for $334.87 shipped ($47 shipping) from Kuruma Motoring, Inc to Kansas - smooth transaction as well, ordered on Saturday and arrived the following Friday packed well. I did and will do business with both of these companies in the future.

Enjoy.
notmisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
redsx13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
redsx13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
thats one clean 240,

btw i ran a similar setup on my Z, Tokico Blues and Tein springs, but it resulted in wheelhop issues at the track.

I'm running coilovers on my s13 (Apexi N1), but let me remind you, coilovers aren't just for racing, and not all are extremely aggressive. The main reasons coilovers are a beter option is because the compression/rebound is tuned for the specific springrates. If you run into whellhop issues at the track replace your subframe bushings and then look twords you suspension, although it will probably be fine.
redsx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
notmisfit

Trader Rating: (0)
notmisfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to notmisfit
Eventually once it becomes a dedicated track car I'll be going down the coilover route and I appreicate the input. More than anything the dig in the post was due to the unfortunate fact that when people post questions about shock & spring combinations they get 3 constructive posts, like yours, to every 3 pages of people saying "get coilovers dawg" with no factual information. However I digress! I fully agree on bushings even without wheel hop issues. I plan to replace all of them in the near future. They are all rough as hell with 198k on the chassis. Good winter project! =)

Last edited by notmisfit; 05-10-2009 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Sophistication!
notmisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
redsx13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
redsx13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmisfit View Post
Eventually once it becomes a dedicated track car I'll be going down the coilover route and I appreicate the input. More than anything the dig in the post was due to the unfortunate fact that when people post questions about shock & spring combinations they get 3 constructive posts, like yours, to every 3 pages of people saying "get coilovers dawg" with no factual information. However I digress! I fully agree on bushings even without wheel hop issues. I plan to replace all of them in the near future. They are all rough as hell with 198k on the chassis. Good winter project! =)
I know what you mean, I have run into the same issues with this sort of thread myself, but no matter which forum, there will always be the type of person who has minimal experience with cars, but post their opinions as valid information without any substantive proof to support their statements; its simply unavoidable. I like to post in technical forums myself rather than general chat because it minimises these types of responses.
redsx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
angelom88
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (-1)
angelom88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
i would a agree 100% i have ksport coilovers on my car and for my uses it work for me also i have the option 2 adjuste my height and things like that, i one thing i will say i have learned lot about the s13/14 with this site
angelom88 is offline   Reply With Quote