Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #61
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
Sorry if i seem defensive, but i'm just saying like i need to spend the money on the motor because it is a far more important upgrade than suspension and wheels. And about the sr20 i knew it was in different cars but i was wrong..yea. lol. Working on pulling the ka tonight after work ill post an update!
Ehhhh. I dunno about that. The engine is important but I would say the suspension is at least equal or more important. Whats the point of having power if you can't use it? That said, your car is pretty dope for being 15. When I got my car at 15 I fucked it up with spray paint and stickerbombin. I learned the hard way to just do it right once and be done. Now when you do get new coils you just lost 500 bucks from the shitty racelands. Why spend 1700 instead of 1200 once? Just food for thought.
theStig880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #62
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Sorry if i seem defensive, but i'm just saying like i need to spend the money on the motor because it is a far more important upgrade than suspension and wheels. And about the sr20 i knew it was in different cars but i was wrong..yea. lol. Working on pulling the ka tonight after work ill post an update!
Maybe you should get into american cars?

Even with all that money, you know that you did NOT get a powerful motor, right? More powerful, but still not powerful. It can almost compete with that $500 oldsmobile boat you can pick up down the street.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #63
status_ryan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
status_ryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Props for getting started out the gate. I admire that. I didn't have the balls to even change my own oil when I was 15. Let alone do a swap. Haha. Nice sr20 though. Really digging that! Keep it up!
status_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #64
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
Engine is not 'far more important' than suspension and wheels. If it is, you might not want it loaded with trash ISIS parts.

How about instead of blowing $575 on a $500 body kit, you stay stock body, buy Stance GR+ (or w/e the replacement is) or PBM's, sell those trash BBS knock-offs and pick up some 15" SSR/other old school wheel.

Then you get the following:
-Cool engine/drivetrain
-Cool suspension
-Cool wheels
-Cool car

Cars aren't hard.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #65
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Suspension/braking is 1000 times more important than a faster motor, anyone that argues against that is a fucking idiot.

Assuming you are wanting to drift- Learning in a low powered car with a well build suspension setup will make you a much better driver. Most every good driver will tell you they learned on an underpowered car. Even with a higher powered motor you will not be able to push the car very hard on stock suspension/brakes, or racelands for that matter because they have horrible valving/dampening as do most cheap coilover kits.

Also anyone who says screw suspension geometry is a moron. Having properly build suspension (if you're going to slam it you will need to correct bump steer, ackerman, etc etcc) is crucial to having a well performing car whether it is drift, auto x, time attack, ANY form of motorsport. Now if you're just going to be hard parking the car, then fuck it- disregard what ive said.

Last- Something that many people make (and you're young so learn from this and dont keep wasting money)- buying cheap parts and saying "oh well, ill just replace them soon for something better" will only cost you more money in the long run. Think about it, you just spent what, $600 bucks on racelands? Youll be lucky to sell them for $3-400. Rather than rushing to make your car look cool being slammed sitting in the garage, save your money for quality parts and let it sit stock a little longer. Id recommend looking into a set of Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers.

Not being an asshole, just trying to vere you in the right direction.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #66
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Suspension, brakes, and wheels (with the correct amount of rubber.)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #67
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
I mean at this time right NOW, in my cars stage, with a shitty engine that leaked oil everywhere, i needed to upgrade the engine first.
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #68
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

UPDATE!!

Pulled the KA tonight, and its out. A lot of cleaing to do and filling in a lot of holes i dont need. Ill be cleaning and prepping the engine bay for paint tomorrow.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #69
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
I mean at this time right NOW, in my cars stage, with a shitty engine that leaked oil everywhere, i needed to upgrade the engine first.
Or you could have checked it's health with a compression test, and if it checked out, pulled it and resealed it all for a couple hundred dollars, at most. And using that money, you could have had a much nicer, tighter, more precise suspension.

I hope to god when you say you filled holes, you didn't go and bondo a bunch of screw holes in the engine bay, sounds like a great way to have the bare threads rust out (being in the northeast) when water inevitably gets in from the back. It might make more sense to just paint them to seal them, so when you have things to mount you'll have a place to mount them.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #70
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
I was hoping my initial advice would help steer you into a nicer direction but you lost me at "power will be more important than suspension/braking." You think those single piston brakes are going to stop you with your 39073682hp that you plan on swapping into your car?

Anyway, I hope that you get bored of this build within a year and "move on" to better/more challenging "builds"
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #71
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Or you could have checked it's health with a compression test, and if it checked out, pulled it and resealed it all for a couple hundred dollars, at most. And using that money, you could have had a much nicer, tighter, more precise suspension.

I hope to god when you say you filled holes, you didn't go and bondo a bunch of screw holes in the engine bay, sounds like a great way to have the bare threads rust out (being in the northeast) when water inevitably gets in from the back. It might make more sense to just paint them to seal them, so when you have things to mount you'll have a place to mount them.
I never even said i filled the holes, i said i was going to. And just because im young does not mean i don't know how to approach things. I plan to weld a bead and sand it down to prep for paint.

About the suspension, my bad for not explaing well enough. I meant as in upgrade wise and what NEEDS to be taken care of. I plan to re do my whole suspension like control arms, etc with quality parts. Sorry that my build is not at a fast pace as i attend high school. Im working on the suspension as soon as i can.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #72
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Just because you're in high school doesn't mean you can't put emphasis on the right areas of the car.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #73
TheFresHesT
Leaky Injector

TheFresHesT is an unknown quantity at this point
Futures14drift everyone has to start somewhere on there car you started with the motor and that's cool, don't let everyone and there 2cents bother you. I did it the same way, I built the hell out of my motor and then got brakes to handle the power the motor could put out ( if I would of gone with z32 calipers I know I would feel comfortable with them...I rather buy one product instead of going though several pairs as my needs advance, now I have wildwood 6 pistons on the car)

Last note.

It's you car do what ever the f u want to it.
TheFresHesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #74
andisan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Yeah good job, better than what I did with my first 240, which sat in the garage for 10 years, keep it up, all the advice everyone is giving you is good but bottom line is, it's your car and your money you can do whatever you want with it. Everyone just wishes they have done it right the first time but in reality it's just how life is, full of mistakes it's how you use that lesson for the next project in life.

Good job with the build
Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #75
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I hear u on that one! My KA was on its last leg when it got pulled. It even caught fire! Haha!
I built my last car the same way. Power before the rest. The main reason I did it that way instead of chassis first was the cost. The Sr and all its extras was by far the most expensive part of the build. The rest of the stuff like brakes, coilovers, and arms I bought as time went on. Smaller amounts of money to part with.
With more power though u will notice the things that are lacking a lot sooner!
Goodluck! And NO plastidip
Old 09-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #76
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
And just because im young does not mean i don't know how to approach things..
No offense, but having to ask people whether a RB20, SR20, or 2JZGE is better kind of debunks your statement. It comes off to me that you didn't do much research about the chassis or swaps before you got it. The motorset you got is great but for the money, I wouldn't say the best. Personally, a suspension and brakes would have been my first route of attack but hey, we all start somewhere.

I applaud you on getting a motorset that looks complete and quality - and expensive because I recall seeing Lt Shinysides thread - but 3K could have gotten you brand new PBMs, all the control arms, brakes, and still money to spare to keep that KA ticking until you did a little more research to choose a motor that truly fits your goals.

That's just my two cents and neither my opinion or anyone elses on here should veer your thinking. We're just giving you a heads up on the routes we have taken and what we would have changed/the routes we took and feel like we wouldn't change a thing. Suspension, brakes, and fixing all the fucked up shit you inherited by buying the car are always the first things to taken - at least in my opinion.

I wish you luck and I hope you realize we're here to help and not break you down. If you get defensive thinking we are bashing, you're in for a treat. I'll continue you following your build. If you ever need help, let me know. I'm local [will be in a month or so when I move back to MA] and never mind wrenching.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #77
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I never even said i filled the holes, i said i was going to. And just because im young does not mean i don't know how to approach things. I plan to weld a bead and sand it down to prep for paint.

About the suspension, my bad for not explaing well enough. I meant as in upgrade wise and what NEEDS to be taken care of. I plan to re do my whole suspension like control arms, etc with quality parts. Sorry that my build is not at a fast pace as i attend high school. Im working on the suspension as soon as i can.
Ehh it's still burning your bridges. What if you need a ka back in there at some point? what if you want to sell it? what if you move somewhere they have emissions and you've got to at least mock the stuff up every so often? Why would you do something entirely unnecessary but very time consuming, when it could end in a whole lot more trouble? I was not under the impression this was a show car.

It seems impulsive, like some of your other choices... like you're itchy to do SOMETHING to the car, but don't much care what that something is.

As others have said, not bashing you as a person, or your overall aspirations or enjoyment of cars. Just trying to give some outside perspective, that might help you.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #78
kevinphan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud ofkevinphan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you still have your KA and want to sell the motor, trans, engine harness let me know I live in MA as well. You should join up on 240sxone.com its a local New England forum.
kevinphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #79
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinphan View Post
If you still have your KA and want to sell the motor, trans, engine harness let me know I live in MA as well. You should join up on 240sxone.com its a local New England forum.
I have the engine and harness no more tranny. Let me know.

Also to the other posts; i posted about the sr20/rb/2jz before i got into research. My mistake. I decided not to fill in the holes as yes its very time consuming and not worth it for this car. I dont think you people understand i wanted an sr20. I dont give a shit if you think i should of done something else first. Im building my car for me for a reason. Got my bay all cleaned up and ready for paint tonight. Will update
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #80
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

By the way everyone, i got into my local tech school and i wanted to take auto repair but there was only a spot for auto body which is fine because i will still learn a lot of welding, etc and hopefuly be able to transfer to auto repair this year. I will probably fix all my rust at school and also PAINT the car!! So no plasti dip.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #81
wattupbaii
Leaky Injector

wattupbaii is an unknown quantity at this point
Dahm, when you started everybody commending you because your young. As soon as you try to put an sr in everybody attacks lol. But they're half right, I've been buying cheap parts forever and its a gamble. I still haven't learned my lesson.
wattupbaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #82
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

Being 19 and buying parts 'forever' are mutually exclusive terms.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #83
wattupbaii
Leaky Injector

wattupbaii is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
Being 19 and buying parts 'forever' are mutually exclusive terms.
I got the benjamin button disease, I age backwards. So respect your elders son.
wattupbaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #84
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ill be here in a few months waiting for the partout when he drifts it lol.

if you really just wanted to drift, you wasted all this time and money. its okay to buy the SR but you should of started drifting with the KA until it blew up. you don't need a license to drift. kits, paint, all this other crap is unnecessary.

all you need was to weld your diff and get spares. that's it. now youll be starting on a platform you have no idea how it handles because its to advance for a beginner and all I see and many other members on here is that you will struggle with getting it to drift.
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #85
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
ill be here in a few months waiting for the partout when he drifts it lol.

if you really just wanted to drift, you wasted all this time and money. its okay to buy the SR but you should of started drifting with the KA until it blew up. you don't need a license to drift. kits, paint, all this other crap is unnecessary.

all you need was to weld your diff and get spares. that's it. now youll be starting on a platform you have no idea how it handles because its to advance for a beginner and all I see and many other members on here is that you will struggle with getting it to drift.
Pretty sure i wont crash this if i can drift a e36 m3 just fine, but ill make sure to let you know about the part out!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #86
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
The M3 is a completely different chassis. Just because you can slide a M3, doesn't mean you can slide anything known to man. Telling people to fuck off and you don't care about their opinion doesn't really help the cause of wanting helpful feedback. Just saying. Good luck with whatever it is you plan on doing.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #87
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
The M3 is a completely different chassis. Just because you can slide a M3, doesn't mean you can slide anything known to man. Telling people to fuck off and you don't care about their opinion doesn't really help the cause of wanting helpful feedback. Just saying. Good luck with whatever it is you plan on doing.
I don't mean to seem like a dick or anything but everyones attacking me for no reason. I want a good motor before good suspension for many reasons. I dont want that shitty KA leaking oil all over my shop, and i want to do a swap before i get my permit and have it up and running perfect.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #88
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
whats with all the hate? its his car he can do whatever he wants.
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #89
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Pretty sure i wont crash this if i can drift a e36 m3 just fine, but ill make sure to let you know about the part out!
well god dam you didn't say you had some drifting under your belt lol post some vids up man!
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #90
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Holy shit people need to chill out. Keep going man, it's your car. I get told all the time that my 240 is a pile of shit. Guess what? Idgaf because I know what I've got in it. Yes I would've made diff decisions knowing what I know now but do what you want. You can cheap on some stuff just DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON SAFETY. Seat belts, seats, steering wheels, cages, etc. cheap wheels? My xxrs took a curb at 30mph and just have outer scratches, so don't let people say shit. Keep it up, I will defiantly be checking into this thread.
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote