Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
240Rookie

Trader Rating: (0)
240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What should I do low budget wise for suspension?

I have a 1995 Nissan 240 sx se and it is bone stock and I was wanting to do something with the suspension without breaking my wallet, any suggestions, I was thinking about lowering it a bit and getting that slammed floating look when I roll by your azz. J/p

Thanx for the replies!!
240Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
4thHorse
Zilvia Member

4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice4thHorse is just really nice
what is your price range? Also you did search right?
4thHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
240Rookie

240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about240Rookie has a spectacular aura about

Yeah there are just so many options out there for what I could do, I want to stay under 800.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #4
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
might as well save a few hundred more and get nice coilovers like KTS.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:35 AM   #5
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecamslam View Post
might as well save a few hundred more and get nice coilovers like KTS.
you might find some nice used coils with less then 7K miles that will suit you just fine.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalypso123 View Post
you might find some nice used coils with less then 7K miles that will suit you just fine.
Maybe, but generally I would avoid used suspension because you never know.

You get Megan coils for a tad over $800 shipped. Cheapest one.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You want to go low or handle better?
Low: get the cheapest coils you can.

Handle: Sway bars, TC rods, New Struts, Sub-Frame Collars. Springs and other arms as you can afford.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Somnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Somnambulist
If you just wanna lower it, there's MR coilovers, Ksport, and a whole bunch of other cheap coilovers.
Somnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
what about just a decent spring combo? and save the rest for bushings and T/C rods?
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Somnambulist
Zilvia Junkie

Somnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfectionSomnambulist is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Somnambulist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
what about just a decent spring combo? and save the rest for bushings and T/C rods?
Why bother? With coilovers so cheap now ($600-$800 for decent ones), and a quality spring/shock combo costing just about the same... I don't see the point.
Somnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
luftrofl
Zilvia Junkie

luftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant futureluftrofl has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Rookie View Post
I have a 1995 Nissan 240 sx se and it is bone stock and I was wanting to do something with the suspension without breaking my wallet, any suggestions, I was thinking about lowering it a bit and getting that slammed floating look when I roll by your azz. J/p

Thanx for the replies!!
What is "something," exactly?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #12
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
The rates on most springs are not a big enough to be worth it. Sways would be a bigger upgrade. Also, the travel on stock suspension is bad enough to begin with. Drop it with springs and you'll be hitting the bump stops in no time.

1. If the shocks are blown, replace.
2. Tower Bars, Swaybars, TC Rods, Subframe bushings.
3. Save up for coils, RUCA's and Toe Arms.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulist View Post
Why bother? With coilovers so cheap now ($600-$800 for decent ones), and a quality spring/shock combo costing just about the same... I don't see the point.
Because those coilovers are improperly valved compared to a quality spring/shock combo.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by luftrofl View Post
What is "something," exactly?
Good pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
1. If the shocks are blown, replace.
This is the reason I would do coilovers on a beater. It's easier to install than getting springs and struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
Because those coilovers are improperly valved compared to a quality spring/shock combo.
This is correct, but for the price you can't beat cheap coilovers as a bottom of the barrel replacement for blown struts.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #15
Brentbohn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Brentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choicesBrentbohn has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i have eibach sportlines on my 95, ride is firm and you feel every bump in the road.... wish i went with the prolines or found some stock ones.
Brentbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #16
SHIFT__Nismo

SHIFT__Nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
The first obvious question is, what do you intend to use it for? Race, street, combo? Be honest with yourself.
SHIFT__Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:47 AM   #17
kaking
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (7)
kaking is making a name for him/her selfkaking is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT__Nismo View Post
The first obvious question is, what do you intend to use it for? Race, street, combo? Be honest with yourself.
Exactly. Gotta know what you want first before you spend money on things that arent gonna cater to your goals
kaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
240Rookie

I just want it to handle better on the street, I am not going to take it to the track or anything like that. I would like it to have a nice stance and be able to handle better. Also the struts arent blown or anything, does anybody want to buy them?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
the only thing brand new in your price range is godspeed coilovers, which has suspect quality (if only because of its price)

if i were you i'd just pick up a used spring shock combo, or try to find a good deal on lightly used established coilovers... or beter yet, a used koni/gc combo.

bit of advice: remember your budget is really only $700+, gotta save the last bit for an alignment. and you won't be able to go zilvia super low because that requires alignment pieces and is therefore out of your price range. and it looks dumb without proper fitting wheels anyway.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote