Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #451
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Options13 View Post
so when running that vibrant venturie does that slit in it need to be exposed? I was just going to make a plate and run the venturi thorough my o2 on my turbo elbow, but the metal is so thick that the slit in the venturie won't be revieled.. is this a big deal?

also should i run a 1 way check valve too?
Yes, the slit needs to be exposed for proper scavenging. Definitely run a check valve when running it into your exhaust.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #452
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The slit needs to be facing the exhaust flow, so that exhaust gases enter the slit and leave the slash cut. This creates the "siphon" effect and is the source of vac.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #453
bmxer882x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
bmxer882x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdiversion View Post
I have not been on this thread for some time.
I have switched from the steel braided line off the exhaust for the e-vac and I am disappointed in myself for not seeing how much of a nightmare that was going to become.

Here is my new e-vac setup.

Once I changed over to this setup the transition from vacuum to boost actually become much faster and the car pulled much harder simply from the great increase in flow.
NOT saying it gained power, but feels stronger.

with an exhaust evac setup like this how do you run the other side? Still the same as oem with the pvc valve or did you route it differently also?
I'm trying to get all oil residue out of the intake mani and i like your setup but curious about the other side.
bmxer882x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #454
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer882x View Post
with an exhaust evac setup like this how do you run the other side? Still the same as oem with the pvc valve or did you route it differently also?
I'm trying to get all oil residue out of the intake mani and i like your setup but curious about the other side.
That's right the pcv side is stock setup, the only thing I changed was adding a catch can before going back into the intake. If you take this side apart, keep in mind , there is a restrictor in the rubber line from the pcv valve to the inlet behind the fuel rail. So if you change this in Any way, be sure to put the restrictor back in.

I have pictures of this restrictor if you want to see it. Or for others that say there is none. I get that a lot. Haha

I still get a little oil and grim. Most of what I get is a ton of water, from rain water and an open turbo.
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #455
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplistek View Post
just add one of these.

the better S14 baffling on an S13 SR.
Do you get a oil smell in the cabin from the catch can being a breather like that?

i have my catch can also open. And i get a really bad oil fume smell wen i'm driving with my windows down. I'm thinking of just routing it back to the intake after the catch can so i wont get the smell, but i don't want oil in my intake

bleh bleh, sr covers have shitty design
Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #456
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

You miss read. The turbo is open, as in no tubing or filter on the compressor inlet. The catch can on the opposite side is in from the pcv and out to the inlet. There is no reason for a breather. In fact you don't want or need a breather. The stock setup does not have one. Also it makes no sense to add extra air to the system. The vaccum opens or let's the pcv valve Shut. Adding a breather would intefer with that process.

Sometimes adding things is not the best way to do things.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #457
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
That's right the pcv side is stock setup, the only thing I changed was adding a catch can before going back into the intake. If you take this side apart, keep in mind , there is a restrictor in the rubber line from the pcv valve to the inlet behind the fuel rail. So if you change this in Any way, be sure to put the restrictor back in.

I have pictures of this restrictor if you want to see it. Or for others that say there is none. I get that a lot. Haha

I still get a little oil and grim. Most of what I get is a ton of water, from rain water and an open turbo.
Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I put a can between my PCV and intake and it fills with water fast. I'm told because I don't drive my car much and because I have a looser ring gap. It allows the engine to condensate more than usual.

I didn't run my car for nearly 3 months, with the valve cover only on with 3 bolts not sealed, and in the first 10 minutes my can was half full and the top of my cover was milky.

Lots of condensation haha.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #458
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

I am having trouble seeing why this particular s13/s14 setup has any benefit at all. Yes the s14 vavle cover has better baffling, but the way her ran the pluming in and out of this is wrong, from what the picture show anyway

From what it look like...
The rear inlet goes directly to the crankcase vent, which is fine. But the front goes into a catch can with a breather. How does this help anything? The idea of this system is to create a vacuum in the crankcase, while in boost. This would simply allow more air in, cause there to be air pressure on the back of the cylinders which results in a power lose. Not to mention the stock system for the s13 has vacuum on the crankcase vent. He needs a vacuum source on the catch can and get rid of the breather.

Hence the reason I use a siphon with the exhaust gases.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #459
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

I shouldn't say I get a ton of water, I get water in the catch can when I drive in the rain. Since I switched to the exhaust e-vac setup. I get a lot less crankcase condensation. I can tell on start up. I would blow white smoke that smelled like burning water for like 10 minutes while it all heated up and separated out. I barely get any of that now.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #460
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Ah I never have white smoke or anything bad on start up.

Just condensates like a mofo
Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #461
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Right now I have my can routed back to my intake pipe, but it has a breather on the can also.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #462
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Right now I have my can routed back to my intake pipe, but it has a breather on the can also.
T/here are no breathers on the stock setup. You don't need them to the system. All you are you are doing with breathers are creating a hole in a pressurized system...

What happens when you put a hole in a pressurized system?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:06 AM   #463
silvia_fiend

Trader Rating: (0)
silvia_fiend is a jewel in the roughsilvia_fiend is a jewel in the roughsilvia_fiend is a jewel in the roughsilvia_fiend is a jewel in the roughsilvia_fiend is a jewel in the roughsilvia_fiend is a jewel in the roughsilvia_fiend is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to bump this but I have a question which hasn't been covered after reading through this thread (which I might add I found very helpful and eye opening on a topic that isn't usually discussed).

I have a S13 with an SR20DET and have been trying to be proactive after my dipstick popped up slightly and sprayed some oil out after a recent drift day, engine has been rebuilt about a year ago and the boost is no more than 12psi so I don't think that's the issue, dipstick o-ring seal could be worn but I'd like to address the PCV setup.

At the moment I have a catch can between the T and my air filter (I have a trust airnx filter and the pipe goes into there, which means yes the afm will be seeing unmetered air which I want to remedy), which brings me to my main question; I have a PSM mid mount intercooler setup so not running a BOV. Would this affect the PCV system as there would actually be a positive pressure going back through the turbo and out the intake pipe when coming off the gas on boost? Or is the effect negligible?
silvia_fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #464
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
It's not seeing unmetered air, it's already metered air. Well both depending on when you follow the air and what the engine is doing.
And if its setup like I think it is, it would create turbulence not really positive pressure like you're describing. That's why we say after mafs and before the turbo. And yes turbulent air could cause the mafs to act weird.

Post picture of your screw up, I mean setup.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #465
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
T/here are no breathers on the stock setup. You don't need them to the system. All you are you are doing with breathers are creating a hole in a pressurized system...

What happens when you put a hole in a pressurized system?
Yea I ended up taking the breather off same day.

Everything's back to working perfect. No more sucking up moisture from the air.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #466
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

I was pretty sure it would help if you got rid of your vacuum leak
Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #467
Nikzilla
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Nikzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got a question for you guys.

I just purchased a mishimoto baffled and filtered catch can, and I'm setting it up with all AN braided hose and fittings for fire safety.

I see a lot of people have the AN hose running to the block fitting (the one that goes from the T back to under the manifold). How do you guys get an AN fitting on that?

This is the block fitting I am talking about

How do I convert that to AN?

Also, the guy at FRsport told me that the Mishimoto has -8 AN fittings, (although he's not 100% sure), will there be any detrimental effect on running -8 hose instead of -10?
Nikzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #468
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikzilla View Post
I've got a question for you guys.

I just purchased a mishimoto baffled and filtered catch can, and I'm setting it up with all AN braided hose and fittings for fire safety.

I see a lot of people have the AN hose running to the block fitting (the one that goes from the T back to under the manifold). How do you guys get an AN fitting on that?

This is the block fitting I am talking about

How do I convert that to AN?

Also, the guy at FRsport told me that the Mishimoto has -8 AN fittings, (although he's not 100% sure), will there be any detrimental effect on running -8 hose instead of -10?
weld a fitting of your choice to the oem breather tube.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #469
sil14zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
sil14zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
this is by far one of the best upgrades i have done.
catch tank has been empty for weeks. and for around $100 i def can't complain.
-8an fittings welded to the top of the valve cover and intake pipe.
-10an fittings welded to the side of cover and oem breather pipe.
i used push loc fittings and hose.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #470
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by sil14zenki View Post
this is by far one of the best upgrades i have done.
catch tank has been empty for weeks. and for around $100 i def can't complain.
-8an fittings welded to the top of the valve cover and intake pipe.
-10an fittings welded to the side of cover and oem breather pipe.
i used push loc fittings and hose.

1. Its nice work. good job emulating the oem setup with the integrated catch can, for the situation in which the engine explodes and oil comes pouring out.

2. Let me ask you, if you take a random tube, and suck on one side with your mouth, what is the pressure differential inside the tube?

I think we need more physics and less random adding containers to our engines. This is what I see happening, "look guys, I added a container where there used to be none. And it stays empty! (why did I add it?)"
Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #471
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Why would it be sucking on both ends in this mod?
Old 12-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #472
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
1. Its nice work. good job emulating the oem setup with the integrated catch can, for the situation in which the engine explodes and oil comes pouring out.

2. Let me ask you, if you take a random tube, and suck on one side with your mouth, what is the pressure differential inside the tube?

I think we need more physics and less random adding containers to our engines. This is what I see happening, "look guys, I added a container where there used to be none. And it stays empty! (why did I add it?)"

I don't know what is funnier. Your lack of knowledge or your poor attempt at sarcasm.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #473
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post

I don't know what is funnier. Your lack of knowledge or your poor attempt at sarcasm.
http://www.wika.us/AN_0711_en_us.WIKA

I dont know why you like to post without adding any information or useful discussion. Raising your post count? At least make a contribution

holy crap I just noticed your post count. You live here? Opinion noted btw. 15,000 posts, if each one was 2 minutes, that is 30,000 minutes or 500 hours of time spent additional. You must be rich, to have 500 extra hours of free time from the last ten years sit on zilvia making empty posts.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #474
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure he works here or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #475
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delado View Post
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure he works here or something.
You would think an employee would actually be nice and professional, and not a jackass just floating around to stir shit up.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #476
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Drama aside:

Can this help us?

http://works-engineering.com/?produc...engine-oil-cap
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #477
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
take a random tube, and suck on one side with your mouth, what is the pressure differential inside the tube?
tell me mr. science guy, what would the pressure differential be?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #478
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
tell me mr. science guy, what would the pressure differential be?
We have already approached this issue and it is the same as it was when I approached it on earlier pages(1-X) of this thread, that is, as the plumbing increases in length approaching infinity, the effects of a change in pressure at one end are diminished at the other end, to the point of not making any difference in pressure from baseline at the long end. Please refer to the previous examples in this same thread I have already given.

As a side note,
I'll due my best not to use punctuation when answering questions unless it really requires it
Old 12-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #479
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280VertDET View Post
You would have to plumb it an extra pipe and also the opening is pretty small. So I would say it wouldn't help too much....
Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 AM   #480
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
We have already approached this issue and it is the same as it was when I approached it on earlier pages(1-X) of this thread, that is, as the plumbing increases in length approaching infinity, the effects of a change in pressure at one end are diminished at the other end, to the point of not making any difference in pressure from baseline at the long end. Please refer to the previous examples in this same thread I have already given.

As a side note,
I'll due my best not to use punctuation when answering questions unless it really requires it
Long story short, if it is a stock engine running a stock turbo, then this mod won't help too much. But with higher horsepower cars that run higher boost and turbos, then it would help.