Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
MayhembB

Trader Rating: (0)
MayhembB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any decent jobs out there?

Looking to relocate from the midwest...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
MayhembB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
What skills do you have?

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
MayhembB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
What skills do you have?
10 years of retail/customer service experience. 5 years delivery experience and about a year warehouse experience. I'm good with customers, I have basic computer skills. What kind of position do you have available?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have any positions available, but I might be able to point you in a right direction. What industry were you working in when you were doing retail/customer service?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
sw20>>s14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
sw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond reputesw20>>s14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sw20>>s14
Work at Verizon or any wireless store, lol. It'll pay the bills and if you're smart and don't want to blow your brains out making your way up, you can probably top out at around $75-80k; eventually.

Source: friends in the biz.

An automotive forum probably isn't your best bet for career prospects. Start over and do it right.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
MayhembB

I've been working in a department store called carson pirie scott (similar to macys).

Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

hmmm... honestly, I think you'll have a tough time making enough money to live comfortably over here if you end up working at a macy's or something like that... at least in Los Angeles... I mean, possibly enough to survive but yea. Like.. I wouldn't do it.

If you had some trade experience and you wanted to come here to do welding, then I'd say yeah, you may be able to relocate quite comfortably.

sw20>>s14's tip may be of some use. Although, I generally don't see a lot of people working at cellphone shops who intend on making that their living. I could be wrong though, but I think people are mainly there to pay some school bills, while living at home or getting a cheap apt with a double income (girlfriend/wife helps share rent, etc.).

Check craigslist and monster and start making phone calls. Stay away from Chinese (or Asian in general) owned businesses because they may trap you if they know you're relocating.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
..also prepare for 1000$ rent, insane car insurance, and smog laws.

Welcome to California.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
chato de shamrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
1000$ transfered to US dollars would be around $1500, but I heard Bakersfield is cheap.... if you don't mind waking up at 4 to picking my fruit and vegetables. If you have an education you can find something but you will be competing with a large group of people. If HS or some college is all you have, expect to work two, maybe three, jobs to make ends meet.

Welcome to California
chato de shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Hachikyu
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Hachikyu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In San Diego County there is a fair amount of jobs on CL. Every day I see several postings for Retail Sales Associates. The closer to the beach you are the more expansive living space is. Try to get something more inland. Not too over crowded like LA. In the more smaller cities would be ideal near a major city. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

1989 Black PS13 | 2007 Red 350z
Hachikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Hachikyu
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chato de shamrock View Post
1000$ transfered to US dollars would be around $1500, but I heard Bakersfield is cheap.... if you don't mind waking up at 4 to picking my fruit and vegetables. If you have an education you can find something but you will be competing with a large group of people. If HS or some college is all you have, expect to work two, maybe three, jobs to make ends meet.

Welcome to California
How you put that would def scare me away from coming LOL.... I think we scared him off....

Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
MayhembB

I'm still here, just don't know what to say...

Old 09-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
MayhembB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachikyu View Post
In San Diego County there is a fair amount of jobs on CL. Every day I see several postings for Retail Sales Associates. The closer to the beach you are the more expansive living space is. Try to get something more inland. Not too over crowded like LA. In the more smaller cities would be ideal near a major city. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
What areas would you say are reasonable? I don't need to be by the beach, im just looking for a job or 2 and a place to stay

Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
And here I am trying to move "away" from California.

Really study California's prospects. Some industries, like Nursing, are stupidly high in demand and will make the transision worth it. Retail is pretty low-balling, so be selective which industry that are hot, like cell phone shops.

I got tired from being low-balled on contract and salary jobs for IT service and programming the past 5 years and decided to jump ship to Northwest where programmers are more in demand.

Plus, California is very expensive to live and expensive to own home (unless you want to live in a really ghetto neighborhood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
Hachikyu
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhembB View Post
What areas would you say are reasonable? I don't need to be by the beach, im just looking for a job or 2 and a place to stay

Inland Cities that I know are not too bad in the North San Diego County would be Vista Ca, San Marcos Ca, Escondido Ca <-- Esco would be the hottest but living expense is way more reasonable than any other place around North County San Diego.

I also hear Clairmont Ca has some decent housing prices. Anything MID City San Diego as well. I am not too familiar with South San Diego since that is closer to the border in all I do see a lot of reasonable living expense in Chula Vista, National City. Anything coastal will be noticeable different prize range wise.

I would suggest, start out by renting out a room w a family or so and familiarize yourself with which ever area you do decided to be in. I rent out rooms in my house but don't have any vacancy at the moment. The reason I say rent out a room is so you dont pay too much rent esp if ur income is not steady or until you find a job and establish your self a little bit more, then find an apartment.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Hachikyu
Zilvia Member

Yeah DJ-of-E is right it can be hard finding good paying jobs, I mean look at the job market... California is broke.. as they say... Everything here is expensive...! You come from Midwest, prepare yourself for high everything. So really think about it before making a transition. Go on CL look at the types of jobs they have, Look how much housing is going for in a certain City ex: LA, San Diego. California is a nazi state when it comes to car mods and what not, Smog Check points, I mean you name it...

Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
MayhembB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachikyu View Post
Yeah DJ-of-E is right it can be hard finding good paying jobs, I mean look at the job market... California is broke.. as they say... Everything here is expensive...! You come from Midwest, prepare yourself for high everything. So really think about it before making a transition. Go on CL look at the types of jobs they have, Look how much housing is going for in a certain City ex: LA, San Diego. California is a nazi state when it comes to car mods and what not, Smog Check points, I mean you name it...
Well I'm in chicago so Im pretty familiar with expensive... lol

Old 09-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Hachikyu
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhembB View Post
Well I'm in chicago so Im pretty familiar with expensive... lol

Then you should be good. Try it out, Helps if you know people or have family or friends that can guide you around too. Good Luck to you

Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
silverarrow27
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
silverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If you can get into a nice retail sales associate job with commission, you should be set whichever city you live in. I know of several people making $12 /hr but with commission they're bring home annually of $60k+. A cousin of mine last year made $100k+, but works for a real high end store though which starts with a 'G'.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
chato de shamrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep in mind many jobs including retail only seek part time to prevent their workers from qualifying for benefits. My guess, I'd say a good 85% to 90% of retail jobs would be that way. Businesses are trying to cut corners with their workers to prevent having to pay for them. Just two or three weeks ago I heard the news say something about UPS was thinking of cutting some benefits for their workers. Government jobs were doing those furlough with their workers. My friends boyfriend was affected by that but I haven't asked if they're still doing it. Really it seems the only good jobs available right now are white collar jobs that ask for some years experience on your behalf, or unless you've been with FedEx since you graduated H.S. and are now something like 45 years old. It really depends on what skills you can provide. Tesla, some new electric car company here in California was hiring a ton of people. I looked them but and noticed the assembly line and clerical jobs were in central California, just south of San Francisco. Their Los Angeles and Long Beach offices had the white collar 5+years experience jobs I didn't qualify for.
chato de shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote