Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
SMOKE'N'TYRES

Trader Rating: (0)
SMOKE'N'TYRES is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Wiring harness... HELP

Sorry for such a noob question but I am finally getting the time to do the sr20 swap and it says I need to use the lower harness from the KA motor. Why is that??? I don't have the lower harness from the KA but do have the lower SR harness, my main question is, can I use the sr's lower harness??? If so, do I need to modify it, and how?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The car is a '89 that had a SOHC and will now have a redtop SR20
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
i used the sr lower harness and everything seems to work properly. i believe you just need the speed sensor out of your ka tranny and throw it in the sr so it reads in mph.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
FRoSt415
Zilvia Junkie

FRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to FRoSt415
well theres like two plugs that dont plug up but no biggy. sounds like u have the swap dvd. just watch them do the wiring and u see taht the only reason that they use the ka wire harness is because it has a bigger terminal for the positive pole to the battery. also dont forget about the speedo change the speed sensor in the back
of the transmission

Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
SMOKE'N'TYRES

sweet so it will work... thanks for the help
Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by allntrlundrgrnd View Post
i used the sr lower harness and everything seems to work properly. i believe you just need the speed sensor out of your ka tranny and throw it in the sr so it reads in mph.
Completely incorrect. Please don't post if you don't know the answer. The speed sensor is the exact same for all markets, a sensor can't decipher MPH vs. KM/H, the cluster does that. use either one you want and sell the other one.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Quote:
my main question is, can I use the sr's lower harness
Quote:
i used the sr lower harness and everything seems to work properly.

get off my nuts, every other thread ive read on this subject on this forum has stated you need the ka speed sensor.

thanks for clearing it up though
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
get off my nuts, every other thread ive read on this subject on this forum has stated you need the ka speed sensor.

thanks for clearing it up though
You're a gotdamn liar too. I know for a fact I've cleared this issue up at least nine times this year, all because of people like you continuing to 'guess' or 'hope' you're right.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

I am not lieing. i searched about this because i just did an sr swap.

I didnt guess or hope. i said i believe you need the ka speed sensor. i dont have it in my car, but most threads i came across stated you needed to replace the sr sensors with the KA counterparts.

seriously. chill out. its the internets.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #9
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
ALRIGHT alright... dang.. let OP decide for himself. besides.... projectRDM has dealt with more years of gravity anyways nothing wrong with a correction here and there.

fightin' over lower harness... man, i don't even use one, lol... only thing its good for is reverse lights and maybe neutral safety switch for starting the car.. only thing running down these is my speed sensor which like projectRDM said.. is the same. only auto speed sensor is different from manual. more specifically, if ur swapping ka auto to sr manual, u will need to change the sensor's plastic sprocket if ur sr tranny didn't come with its own speed sensor.

My YouTube Channel
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
SMOKE'N'TYRES

s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertsnowcarver View Post
fightin' over lower harness... man, i don't even use one, lol... only thing its good for is reverse lights and maybe neutral safety switch for starting the car.. only thing running down these is my speed sensor which like projectRDM said.. is the same. only auto speed sensor is different from manual. more specifically, if ur swapping ka auto to sr manual, u will need to change the sensor's plastic sprocket if ur sr tranny didn't come with its own speed sensor.
I thought there were a few other things that were on this harness too, starter, some ground wires, and the plugs to the fuse box????

thanks for all the help thus far, im gunna use the sr harness, im not worried about the pos batt terminal being to small or reverse lights.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
i know i had to change to speed sensor if u have a s14 and using a red top
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #12
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
i believe the plugs next to the fuse box from the lower harness have different wire pins from the sr to ka.
if they are you can use the fsm to find what wires are what and move them around in the lower harness plug to work with the chassis harness
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #13
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
the harness that plugs into the back of the fuse box located by the batter is your is your lower/tranny harness. not a critical element to completing your swap. i don't have anything plugged in there.

My YouTube Channel
Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE'N'TYRES View Post
he sr20 swap and it says I need to use the lower harness from the KA motor.
Please post the link to the source saying you need to the KA lower harness.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
i believe you just need the speed sensor out of your ka tranny and throw it in the sr so it reads in mph.
You are wrong. I can walk you through the entire process but I don't feel like it because I personally have done this at least 10 times before already.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

read the fucking thread
Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Still crying I see.

The KA lower harness works fine for a DOHC chassis. A SOHC chassis though is different since the alternator and power steering pump are on opposite sides. It's easier to use the KA harness and cut/splice, but if you don't have it the SR one works too. All you need are starter, alternator, and VSS anyway, the oil pressure switch should be removed and thrown away, plugged or replaced with a real gauge, and the remaining transmission switches serve no purpose. The FSM will clearly detail exactly what plugs are used.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
whowutwut
Leaky Injector

whowutwut is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to whowutwut
You don't need to swap use the KA speed sensor. It depends on the SR year and the 240sx you are swapping into, those have to match up and you can interchange the speed sensors.

For example:
s13 redtop into 89-94 240sx works with the SR speed sensor or KA speed sensor
s13 blacktop (early model) into 89-94 240sx works find with the SR speed sensor <-- I swapped this into my 93 240sx and used the SR speed sensor with no problems.
s14 blacktop into 95-98 240sx works with SR speed sensor

If you're swappinga s13 engine into a s14 240sx, then you will need the s14 KA speed sensor.

I just installed the s13 Kouki Type X gauge cluster, that required me to swap to a s14 speed sensor because it reads a different signal.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowutwut View Post
You don't need to swap use the KA speed sensor. It depends on the SR year and the 240sx you are swapping into, those have to match up and you can interchange the speed sensors.

For example:
s13 redtop into 89-94 240sx works with the SR speed sensor or KA speed sensor
s13 blacktop (early model) into 89-94 240sx works find with the SR speed sensor <-- I swapped this into my 93 240sx and used the SR speed sensor with no problems.
s14 blacktop into 95-98 240sx works with SR speed sensor

If you're swappinga s13 engine into a s14 240sx, then you will need the s14 KA speed sensor.

I just installed the s13 Kouki Type X gauge cluster, that required me to swap to a s14 speed sensor because it reads a different signal.
Please don't confuse things further. It's not SR vs. KA. It never has been. They're the same. The only thing that determines the sensor is the cluster.

S13 cluster = S13 speed sensor
S14 cluster = S14 speed sensor

The Type X cluster is a rare difference since it's 96+ so it uses the S14 VSS, but it would not matter what transmission you're using. KA, SR, 89-98, both sensors fit all models.

So for the last and final time until next week there are ONLY four speed sensors that exist for the S13 and S14 chassis.

S13 manual
S13 auto
S14 manual
S14 auto

It does not matter where it's built, what engine you have, they're the same throughout every market. CA, SR, KA all use the same sensor. They only change is the chassis.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
read the fucking thread
I hope you're not talking to me. Please don't make me walk through the entire VSS writeup just to make you feel better. Just search and find out on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
The KA lower harness works fine for a DOHC chassis. A SOHC chassis though is different since the alternator and power steering pump are on opposite sides. It's easier to use the KA harness and cut/splice, but if you don't have it the SR one works too. All you need are starter, alternator, and VSS anyway, the oil pressure switch should be removed and thrown away, plugged or replaced with a real gauge, and the remaining transmission switches serve no purpose. The FSM will clearly detail exactly what plugs are used.
Don't forget the reverse lights!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #21
FRoSt415
Zilvia Junkie

FRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to FRoSt415
REpost End of Story
Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRoSt415 View Post
REpost End of Story
Get out of here with that nonsense. Read above for classification of VSS interchangeability.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #23
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

mod is gonna /thread cus this is getting dumb. to OP, just search (what i did, and i did my swap in my backyard in less than 12hrs thanks to the abundance of info) and/or listen to projectRDM

My YouTube Channel
Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #24
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
JESUS!!!
Russ spoke it, and I know personally the work he has done.
Ken spoke, and the truths I have seen him speak around leads me to know that he knows his shit.
The questions have been answered correctly, this pissing match is less than necessary.

And I write too!
Closed Thread