Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
bbejj123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
bbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura aboutbbejj123 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carb legal ls1 swap

I am not sure on where to start this top so please move to whereever u feel it should be placed...

Ok ive been doing some research and i searched for a carb legal setup and found some but they are quite far. I was wondering if anyone knew a place AROUND the 818 area code where i could get a legal ls1 swap for a fair price and great quality.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
These questions need to be asked here: http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/1056...240sx-faq.html and in the regional section. I highly doubt you will be able to find a shop that will do what you want. You will either have to do it yourself of get ready to spend some big bucks.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
krisdeezy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (17)
krisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant futurekrisdeezy has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krisdeezy
shouldn't they be legal anyway? considering the engine is newer than the car and the engine is USDM ?! 0_o
krisdeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
im pretty sure the engine has to be from the same make/ maybe model?
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

PXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to PXRdriFT
its legal, you just have to ensure the emissions equipment is installed.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
do some research on the rx7 forums. They've been able to swap that engine in and get it ref'd. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There is so much fail in this thread. If you don't know how to get a motor swap through CARB or EPA, you need not speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbejj123 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew a place AROUND the 818 area code where i could get a legal ls1 swap for a fair price and great quality.
Asked and answered. See above for suggestions.

If you want to ask how to do a CARB-compliant swap then you need to ask. Otherwise all questions have been answered.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
qwikspool
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
qwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to qwikspool
i dont know about 818 area.
try manjiparts.com
qwikspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
WoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to WoolyS14DET
the motor has to be a nissan motor and from that car or newer in order to be a "legal Swap" If I'm not mistaken !!
WoolyS14DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyS14DET View Post
the motor has to be a nissan motor and from that car or newer in order to be a "legal Swap" If I'm not mistaken !!
How can we mistake you?

The first half of your statement is wrong.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

WoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
How can we mistake you?

The first half of your statement is wrong.

I talking about the state of california !!!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
I talking about the state of california !!!
I b talkin bout cali 2
Old 08-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I b talkin bout cali 2
So your telling me that the california smog laws have changed ?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
So your telling me that the california smog laws have changed ?
No, this part of the CA law has not changed.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

So then it would be considered a "kit car" ???
Old 08-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
So then it would be considered a "kit car" ???
I am not familiar with this aspect of the law.

But with respect to the same make requirement, I cannot prove that this requirement does not exist. If it's not in the law, what can we do? We have to read the entire book to find that it's not in there.

But you can prove that this requirement is true by posting this law. If it's true, you should have no problem finding this section of the law.

Therefore, the burden of proof is on you.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

Mikey88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXRdriFT View Post
its legal, you just have to ensure the emissions equipment is installed.
i believe it. youve done enough swaps already frankie to know wats up. wat like 3 or 4 or wat not haha.
Mikey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Wow, so much fail here. If you are not 100% sure on what the laws are then why the hell are you posting here? Your opinion of what the laws say is irrelevant here. The OP needs to do his own damn research on what the smog laws will allow. As far as I know as long as the engine is the year of the car or newer, all the smog equipment is hooked up and functioning, whatever OBD system the motor came with is functioning, and everything behind the MAF or in front of the cats is either OEM or carb approved for the engine then you should be good to go. That is only my opinion though and if the OP really wants to do it he needs to do the research himself.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #19
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
How are you gonna get it carb'ed if the stations are closed until further notice?

State of California, Dept. of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Automotive Repair

Quote:
Suspension of Referee And CAP Services

Per the Governor's Executive Order issued on July 31, 2008 concerning the state budget, Referee and Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) Repair Assistance, and Vehicle Retirement services have been suspended until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience. Consumers may call the Department of Consumer Affairs, Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210. Also, please check our web site periodically to confirm when both Referee and CAP services will resume. Suspensión de Servicios del Ãrbitro y CAP

Por la orden ejecutiva del gobernador publicado Julio 31, 2008, con respecto al presupuesto del estado, servicios del Ãrbitro y el Programa de Asistencia al Consumidor (CAP) Asistencia de Reparación y Retiro del VehÃ*culo estan suspendidos hasta un nuevo aviso. Disculpen la inconveniencia. Consumidores pueden llamar al Departamento de Consumidores, Centro de Información para Consumidores al 800.952.5210. También pueden visitar nuestro sitio en el internet para ver si los dos servicios, el Ãrbitro y CAP, se han reanudado.

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 PM   #20
racepar1
Post Whore!

^^^That's old news man.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #21
tckracker
Leaky Injector

tckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enoughtckracker will become famous soon enough
As long as the vehicle, the motor comes out of is newer than the vehicle it is going in to and AAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL smog components are installed PROPERLY; you can get it Ref'd in CA even if the engine is out of a GM vehicle without being a "Blue tag" or "kit car". Now the problem with this is the Smog Legal headers and exhaust manifolds dump directly on the steering so they have to be modified VERY carefully or the good ol' smog Refs will pull the rug out from under you I am in the midst of trying to mod a set of SLP street legal headers on my S13 coupe to keep the Catalytic Conv in the "sameish" location but definitely same distance from the head.
-Shaun
tckracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #22
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
^^^That's old news man.
I know its old news, but why try if the stations are closed?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #23
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt_s13 View Post
I know its old news, but why try if the stations are closed?
Because they WILL re-open, probably about the time that the budget for next year is released, which will be in a month or two. Also just because the ref is closed does not mean that your ref ticket will be dismissed. It DOES mean that you will have to pay a fine no matter what though. Why not have a swap installed and ready for the ref so that as soon as they open back up you are ready to go?
Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #24
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Because they WILL re-open, probably about the time that the budget for next year is released, which will be in a month or two. Also just because the ref is closed does not mean that your ref ticket will be dismissed. It DOES mean that you will have to pay a fine no matter what though. Why not have a swap installed and ready for the ref so that as soon as they open back up you are ready to go?
Oh, ok. Now that you mention it, it makes sense.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #25
g6civcx
Post Whore!

I would still like to see citation on the requirement that the engine has to be from the same make.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #26
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

^^^^Me Too !!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #27
gigimow
Leaky Injector

gigimow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
do some research on the rx7 forums. They've been able to swap that engine in and get it ref'd. Good luck!

If the RX7 guys can get it ref'd, I'm sure a LS1 in a 240sx can will be the same. I'll find out soon enough. Got a s14 shell on the way.
gigimow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 PM   #28
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

PXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to PXRdriFT
Quote:
I would still like to see citation on the requirement that the engine has to be from the same make.
I think the case being made here is the only stipulation is on the year.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #29
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXRdriFT View Post
I think the case being made here is the only stipulation is on the year.
I don't dispute the same year or newer. That's a federal requirement so the state by definition has to be at least the same or stricter.

I just want to know where the same make requirement came from.

I know you can put JDM engines into Integras and get it ref'ed in Cali. By definition, Acura does not exist outside of the US so any JDM swap will not be from the same make.

Plus others have done LS-series FC/FD ref so it's possible.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #30
g00se
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
g00se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
im in the process of building my ls2+t56 as well and for the most part here is a general overview of what they would be looking for Engine Change Guidelines

btw im using JBA headers (carb legal) "slightly modified" to get around the steering rack. And hey tckracker i didnt know that they measure out how far the cats were, i was planning to route the exhaust into the stock location for now to pass the ref.
g00se is offline   Reply With Quote