Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Viridion

Trader Rating: (0)
Viridion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Viridion Send a message via AIM to Viridion Send a message via MSN to Viridion Send a message via Yahoo to Viridion
89 S13 coupe starts and dies

I searched first and looked through a few results but i couldn't quite find the same problem that i'm having:

I have a single cam KA, and when i try to start her up she fires, sputters for a sec and then dies.. i changed the fuel filter and that is all i have tried.. i picked the car up for a winter beater and i'm sure it's something simple..

if i pump the gas pedal it will run, rev up and down smoothly and it won't misfire or anything.

if i hold the pedal still anywhere (WOT, 1/4 or 1/2 throttle) or if i let off the car will just sputter out and die.

the car has stock intake with no filter, stock MAF and TPS.. i haven't tried changing the TPS or MAF.. the fuel filter was almost plugged cuase i can't blow through it, i put a 300zx filter on it and there is lots more flow (aka sprays gas all over!) but it still has the same problem when i crank it.

suggestions?
Viridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
junkilo
Leaky Injector

junkilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Theres quite a few things it could be. get a fsm. seach harder (try google, fa, amarok, 240sx.org), test the tps. check very closely for intake leaks post maf. clean maf, test maf. check o2 sensor.
junkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Viridion

Viridion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Viridion Send a message via AIM to Viridion Send a message via MSN to Viridion Send a message via Yahoo to Viridion
car runs for a longer period of time without touching the gas if i pull the airbox lid off and disconnect the MAF from the intake (not disconnect the wires, just pull the maf off hte pipe)

i have some friends with spare parts and we're going to swap some around

thanks!
Viridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
sounds like a bad MAF to me.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
junkilo
Leaky Injector

junkilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridion
car runs for a longer period of time without touching the gas if i pull the airbox lid off and disconnect the MAF from the intake (not disconnect the wires, just pull the maf off hte pipe)

i have some friends with spare parts and we're going to swap some around

thanks!
like chimp said, the maf. cleaning and testing wouldnt hurt.
junkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
You might check to see if your intake bellow is leaking. Mine was cracked and was sucking air wich was giving false reading to the ecu. Patched it up, runs perfect, and passed smog.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote