Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 Another S13 Aternator prob, burnt wire smell then alt dies?

i've got an 89, 5spd stock SOHC, semi new alternator, not even a year yet... a couple of weeks ago i was driving and all of a sudden i started smelling burnt wire, didn't think it was my car so i ignored it, kept driving and my battery light came on and the electronics started dimming, popped the hood and the smell of burnt wire was obviously from my car, it was on the alternator side, i inspected and saw nothing so i said screw it i better get home before the cars battery runs down and i get stranded, half way home and everything brightens up and my battery light was off, so i went home and parked it.

a few days ago i went 6 blocks to the gas station, and i started smelling burnt wire once again, so i parked and popped the hood, again no signs of any burning wires or fire, get in and go home, checked everything and nothing seems out of the ordinary, drive the car the rest of the day and no smell or anything.

today, i had to recharge my battery so i put it back in started the car and there it goes, i didnt even drive the car at all, it smelled really bad, but again no signs of visible fire or burnt wires, even from under the car, i connected my voltmeter and it was charging at 14.0 volts, i went in the car and i was looking at my cluster to see if my battery light comes on, the smell got worse and sure enough the battery light comes on, i go check my voltmeter and it says its at 11.9 volts and dropping as i was watching it, this is while the car is on.

i dunno if it matters but, i have HID's that have been on the car for two years, with a viper 791VX on the car for the same amount of time, also have my silvia fog lamps wired correctly with the factory wiring and factory relay thats been in for three years

does anyone have an idea of why the smell of burnt wire? its definitely by the alternator side, i cannot for the life of me find anything that looks remotely burnt, could the alternator itself be burning? is that even possible??
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Another question, can an alternator overheat? Last night I went out to my car and started it, my battery light was off and the alternator was charging again at 14 volts, what the hell is going on????
Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Anyone have any input?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
tapdeznutz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
tapdeznutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
try to smell around and identify where the smell is coming from. is it the alt or from a wire(s). intermittent and wire issues are the worst. gl
tapdeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Pro ViZIon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Pro ViZIon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try to track down the smell. You may have an intermittent wire shortage. Possibly too big of a fuse somewhere. That's the only way it would burn wires or the internal regulator on the alternator is broken and putting out too much voltage. Have you tried checking anything with a digital multi meter?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Nope, all the fuses were good and all the right amps, I checked everything, no shorts in any wiring, all wires look normal, no burns, cuts or split, I thought the alt was overcharging so that's why I checked with my volt meter, it was putting out 14 volts and at load lights,stereo,fog lamps interior lighting it was at 13.6 volts, then my battery light came on and it was at 11.9 volts and dropping, disconnected the battery and the car shut itself off like there was no alternator, I'm leaning towards the voltage regulator, but why the burning wires smell? That's what I don't get
Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

I went and started my car again today, I did notice there is a humming noise that was never there and this humming started when I started having this problem, it does sound like it coming from the alternator...