Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #661
801nismo104
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
801nismo104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i like this turbo alot! every time i put my foot on the gas it starts making boost almost instantly. pulls hard on 18psi with jwt s4 cams. this weekend ill be pumping in some 104 octane and raising the boost to 25psi.
801nismo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #662
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Random for sure, but even off the gate at 10 psi its' 996 GT3 fast

Another trakc day, man third gear fuckin rips...so fun...

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #663
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
I'm so stoked to get this setup going this winter, GTX2867 and Tial MVS EWG coming in a month or so.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #664
eye-5

Trader Rating: (1)
eye-5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Oh I've already completely eliminated the idea of a 2871 at all haha. I'm GTX or bust at this point.

How does the 2867GTX feel compared to S15 T28?
I just upgraded from a S15 turbo to a GTX2867R. At 15 psi, the gtx made 50 more hp on the same dyno. It spools a tad slower, however, it makes more power at the same RPMs everywhere. It also has a much better power delivery. The S15 turbo would come on all at once, the GTX is way more linear. The GTX is also way better off throttle back to on throttle. The S15 would take a bit to come back online if you had to brake, the GTX is right back in boost as soon as you get back on the gas. If you are looking for performance, the GTX blows the S15 turbo out of the water everywhere.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
eye-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #665
eye-5

I should rephrase spools a tad slower, it is really a matter of being a tad slower to full boost. However, like I said above, you are making more power at lower boost so regardless, there is more power at lower RPMs with the GTX.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #666
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-5 View Post
I just upgraded from a S15 turbo to a GTX2867R. At 15 psi, the gtx made 50 more hp on the same dyno. It spools a tad slower, however, it makes more power at the same RPMs everywhere. It also has a much better power delivery. The S15 turbo would come on all at once, the GTX is way more linear. The GTX is also way better off throttle back to on throttle. The S15 would take a bit to come back online if you had to brake, the GTX is right back in boost as soon as you get back on the gas. If you are looking for performance, the GTX blows the S15 turbo out of the water everywhere.

Fuck lol you just made my day. What you posted is literally exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll be ordering mine in a few weeks.

Are you running internally gated? What manifold? Pics of setup?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #667
eye-5

Actually, I blew my S15 turbo during a time trial on labor day and had to up my plans of upgrading to the GTX. I was planning on doing a V-Band setup on a doc race manifold with an EWG. But, I had very little time to my next event so I went with a regular T25 internal waste gate on the stock manifold. I do plan on doing the v band setup in the future.

And why not a pic of the car at the event I blew the turbo.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #668
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Oh wow, so you went with the full bolt on style compressor housing too...i was wondering if that would have a negative effect on performance at all?

What power did it make? How did the curve look compared to s15?

And where did you get all the fresh hardware?

What did you have to do for oil restrictor? Oil and water lines just bolt right up?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #669
eye-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Oh wow, so you went with the full bolt on style compressor housing too...i was wondering if that would have a negative effect on performance at all?

What power did it make? How did the curve look compared to s15?

And where did you get all the fresh hardware?

What did you have to do for oil restrictor? Oil and water lines just bolt right up?
For time constraints, I got it in the S15 compressor housing. ATP offered it at no extra cost. My oil and water lines and everything else just bolted up. Used the same oil restrictor. The exhaust housing from the S15 turbo did not work though, the new wheel is bigger. I had to order it. If I had more time I'd have gone with v-band in & out.

I'm using the Stage 8 locking nuts. I've had a couple issues with the manifold to turbo nuts coming loose on track days. Tried almost everything. I'm hoping these do the trick. They are pretty pimp. I ordered them from Touge Factory.

I had spark blow out on the dyno at 20 psi so I didn't push it or get a full run, got out of it at 6000 rpms. On that run at 20psi and 6000 rpms, it made 321 HP and 298ftlbs. This is on a dynocom dyno that reads really low. My s15 turbo made only 254 hp at 15 psi on this dyno. On a dynopack the same setup (S15 turbo) was over 300. I'd say that dyno reads about 40hp low.

Curve is prety much straight up to 4000 rpms then start to curve over.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #670
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Is anyone else having major shaftplay issues with their GTX series turbo? Mine has been on for less than 500 miles and I went to check shaft play and omfg. It has play in every direction including forward and back. This is with the bearings full of oil too.

And I've heard other people have issues with it too and Garrett basically says go fuck yourself, and doesn't stand by their product.

I was goin to go GTX3582 but changed my mind after this. Comp turbos all the way now.

And by omfg shaftplay, I mean more play than my 50,000+ mile dead bearing T25 had.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #671
unijabnx2000
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
unijabnx2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is it hitting the comp/turbine housing?
unijabnx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #672
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

It's scary close. I'll be watching for that.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #673
eye-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Is anyone else having major shaftplay issues with their GTX series turbo? Mine has been on for less than 500 miles and I went to check shaft play and omfg. It has play in every direction including forward and back. This is with the bearings full of oil too.

And I've heard other people have issues with it too and Garrett basically says go fuck yourself, and doesn't stand by their product.

I was goin to go GTX3582 but changed my mind after this. Comp turbos all the way now.

And by omfg shaftplay, I mean more play than my 50,000+ mile dead bearing T25 had.
What gtx are you running?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #674
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

GTX3076, .82 AR Vband out. Antisurge housing.

Been running at 20psi since it's been on. I haven't even began to push this turbo.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #675
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post

I had my intake off the other day to polish up and weld a fitting into, and decided to give her a spin/crank. Everything seemed ok on mine, so lets hope it doesn't become more of an issue.

With that said (and I know it's ball bearing) but maybe it needs actual oil pressure through it to float the assembly more than normal? I dunno though as mine is tight.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #676
worr20
Zilvia Member

worr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I had my intake off the other day to polish up and weld a fitting into, and decided to give her a spin/crank. Everything seemed ok on mine, so lets hope it doesn't become more of an issue.

With that said (and I know it's ball bearing) but maybe it needs actual oil pressure through it to float the assembly more than normal? I dunno though as mine is tight.
What size restrictor do you run? with that quote ^^ idk if i should or shouldnt run one now. lol
worr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #677
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Mine's still tight as well. A tiny tiny bit of play but a negligible amount.

Gtx2867. I run the .03" restrictor.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #678
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

I run a .03 restrictor as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #679
unijabnx2000
Leaky Injector

Surge will cause excessive play like that
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #680
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by unijabnx2000 View Post
Surge will cause excessive play like that
A ball bearing turbo shouldn't really care about surge.

What will kill it, is too much or too little oil. Error too far on either side of ideal and you've got bad news.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #681
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
My friend just had his installed and tuned after I recommended this.

S13 Engine
Poncams
740cc Inj
D-Jetro PFC
are the major parts, 388ps 44kg torque @ 1.3bar. (Dynapack) I rode in it and I have to say not feeling it, impressive # though. Hopefully mine makes my butt dyno happy.

After more driving, I'm gonna go with lack of aggressive tuning. In a stock S14 Kouki minus Exhaust/ Intake filter and Mines ECU @ 1.bar . He cannot pass me if I start acceleration first, from either a roll or if he in directly behind me.

Hopefully I will have mine installed starting this week, waiting to see if I like it.

Last edited by MADE; 10-29-2013 at 02:51 AM..
MADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #682
801nismo104
Zilvia Member

So how much psi are you guys running on 91 octane?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #683
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801nismo104 View Post
So how much psi are you guys running on 91 octane?
Is that a trick question?
You should probably consult your local tuner/tuners, because not everyone will be able to run the same psi, as not everyone has the same timing, grades of 91 will probably not be the same either, total timing is definitely going to be different, as well as reasons for running a set psi. or did you really just want people to post different boost pressure without really knowing, location, ethanol content, timing (base, total, etc.) or even afr, egts when going into transition?
Steve Shadows, is probably someone you should talk too about tuning on pee.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #684
801nismo104
Zilvia Member

I talked to my tuner (rs enthalpy) and he told me 17-18 psi max on 91 octane. I Was just wondering what everyone else was set at. Calm down batman
Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #685
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
He probably told you that to get rid of you, think boy wonder.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #686
unijabnx2000
Leaky Injector

I know a guy on the mazdaspeed forum that runs 91 oct to 26psi on conservative timing.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #687
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Talk to Dardan at Synapse about tuning on piss 91 lol
Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #688
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by unijabnx2000 View Post
I know a guy on the mazdaspeed forum that runs 91 oct to 26psi on conservative timing.
Apples and Oranges. VE and CFM are different.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #689
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
shaft play isn't a huge deal, it'll walk around way more than most people expect, unless you can touch down the blades its unlikely its more than usual.

Also, ditching Garrett to go Comp turbo for reliability seems weird. Aren't they still unreliable? Or did they finally up the margins to shops enough that everyone is willing to brush it under the table?
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #690
worr20
Zilvia Member

worr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
are you bottom mount guys just using a 45 and 90 degree 2-2.5in coulper?

Last edited by worr20; 11-01-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: bottom mount
worr20 is offline   Reply With Quote