Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
ReallyBroke
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
ReallyBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bringing back parts from Japan... (help!)

how do I go about doing this? is it better to bring parts with you as luggage on the plane? or is it better to send them to the USA via Fed-Ex or UPS?

do I have to send all the parts threw customs and pay taxes on them?

I am wanting to bring back small stuff, like Kouki tail lights, a wiring harness, and other small parts, most likely no engine parts. nothing that would require freight.
ReallyBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Mr. Goodkat
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
Mr. Goodkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should bring the stuff with you through the plane. It should be duty-free if the items are used. If you ship it, you will have to pay taxes on them when it arrives in the states.
Mr. Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
ReallyBroke
Leaky Injector

ReallyBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodkat View Post
You should bring the stuff with you through the plane. It should be duty-free if the items are used. If you ship it, you will have to pay taxes on them when it arrives in the states.
okay, I know I get 1 carry on, which is free, but I heard that any other luggage I bring I have to pay for. I have never been on a plane, so I don't know how all that works. can I bring a suitcase full of car parts on the plane? and how much would that cost?

lol, yeah this trip is going to be alot of firsts for me. first time being out of the USA, first time on a plane, and first time seeing the ocean.
ReallyBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Mr. Goodkat
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
Mr. Goodkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure if you will be able to take some of the stuff on carry-on, since security measures have rised in airports. However, your allowed 2 luggage and/or boxes, through the check-in, but they each have to weigh 50lbs or less. You'll have to pay extra if they weigh more than 50lbs or if you have more than 2 luggage/boxes. Good luck on your trip!
Mr. Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
90hatchie
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 90hatchie
first time seeing the ocean? holy shit
hope you have a nice trip
90hatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
EliteJDM
Zilvia Member

EliteJDM is an unknown quantity at this point
U might die on a 14hr. plane ride over the ocean for like 7 of the hours lol

Have fun and bring something to knock u out on the plane
EliteJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
bornslippy73
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (45)
bornslippy73 is a jewel in the roughbornslippy73 is a jewel in the roughbornslippy73 is a jewel in the roughbornslippy73 is a jewel in the roughbornslippy73 is a jewel in the roughbornslippy73 is a jewel in the roughbornslippy73 is a jewel in the roughbornslippy73 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 45 reviews
Have fun! Yah, just bring your parts on your luggage, but not your carry-on luggage. Weight your check-in luggage before arriving at the airport so you don't go through the hassle of paying additional cost.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
i drive a honda
Leaky Injector

i drive a honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBroke View Post
how do I go about doing this? is it better to bring parts with you as luggage on the plane? or is it better to send them to the USA via Fed-Ex or UPS?

I am wanting to bring back small stuff, like Kouki tail lights, a wiring harness, and other small parts, most likely no engine parts. nothing that would require freight.
if it's like an ECU and a wiring harness, thats a good way to scare the fuck out of customs, but shit like shift knobs or small stuff it's cool.

what i did is i had a few suits, zegna, armani hickey freeman etc and packed them up and wrapped my parts in the suits
i drive a honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Azuma

Azuma is making a name for him/her selfAzuma is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via ICQ to Azuma Send a message via AIM to Azuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBroke View Post

Paying Fedex/UPS at the list price would make parts buying alot cheaper in the US. Any idea on the list prices for Fedex/UPS. You better check their website before you visit them. Any idea how many stations you have to change to get to Fedex/UPS drop centers?
Azuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #10
i drive a honda
Leaky Injector

i drive a honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
Paying Fedex/UPS at the list price would make parts buying alot cheaper in the US. Any idea on the list prices for Fedex/UPS. You better check their website before you visit them. Any idea how many stations you have to change to get to Fedex/UPS drop centers?
if it's not too heavy

kuroneko yamamoto can probably ship it to the US for under $100US

i know i shipped some excess shit when i moved out from there through them.

But if he's shipping a front clip or someshit or even a exhuast, might as well buy it in the US rather than in japan.

When i lived out there i sold all my snap-on tools in japan that i bought there then bought all new here because it was cheaper than shipping

but you are right
people underestimate the cost of this shit

but clothes are an awesome thing to buy there, Like if you want to dump a bunch of money on number (n)ine, julius, or KK attachment shit, by all means do it and wear it back home.
i drive a honda is offline   Reply With Quote