Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gold standard - Should we go back?

I think we should. I don't like the way the FED messes with the economy. All they have done since their inception is cause a vicious cycle of bubbles and massive crashes.

I think we need to go back to a gold standard to have a concrete foundation for our currency and economy and stop messing with interest rates.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
jamanrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
I think we should. I don't like the way the FED messes with the economy. All they have done since their inception is cause a vicious cycle of bubbles and massive crashes.

I think we need to go back to a gold standard to have a concrete foundation for our currency and economy and stop messing with interest rates.

and do what? It is too late for that. You go back to the gold standard now and a dollar would be worth 10 cents instead of the 50-60 cents it is worth now. Anyone ever seen the British pound it is like twice what the dollar is worth. We are screwed.
jamanrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Take a macroeconomics class to figure out why the gold standard isn't a viable alternative for modern times.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
We are screwed because that is where the FED put us. We can go back.

By going back to a gold standard we can see the real value of the dollar and build from there.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
dude, gold standard is NOT a magic bullet that solves all economic ails.

boom bust cycle will still happen under gold standard. root cause of boom bust cycle is not federal reserve or fiat currency. it's caused by people acting like a herd of cattle. when times are good everyone overspends or gets loans. bam rapid growth. when times are bad everyone saves, money circulation drops. bam recession.

real argument for gold standard is denying government ability to deficit spent (i.e. tax wealth via inflation) and deny gov control over the money supply.

second bit is also its downfall. control of money supply in gold standard is basically tied to the rate of gold production. no way to implement monetary policy.

there's nothing inherently wrong with a central bank or monetary policy... the problem is making sure the central bank uses that power responsibly. debate of fiat vs gold is really debate on how much power to allocate to central bank. fiat = alot; gold = very little.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

I'm not against a fiat currency in general just ours.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
uh okay. i'm not even sure what that means.

you don't need sweeping governmental changes to bet on your position.

solution: don't save in dollars. save all your money in gold (i.e. buy GLD or hold physical gold assets).

only keep enough cash on hand as needed for your normal expenses.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

It means a fiat currency CAN be done properly but ours clearly isn't in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

it could be better, the degree to which varies from person to person

but if you want to see really fucked fiat currency run wild, there are better and far crazier examples
Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Relatively speaking, the dollar has probably been one of the
more stable currencies in recent history.

Inflation has been rampant in the last 10 years or so.
But that has prob been more indicative of fed policies and spending from the govt.
Im inclined to think a change in policy is a more realistic alternative.

Think the economy is healthy enough for an increase in rates.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

aznpoopy

I know all about the Zimbabwean Dollar.

ronmcdon

We have seen sharp inflation since the Korean War and the price of gold in America has steadily increases since the inception of the FED. That steady increase is due to the inflation of the currency not a higher demand for gold.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i think some degree of inflation is not unhealthy.
the economy grows and it's not unreasonable to expect there is a need for more currency to circulate as a result.
Imo, there should be a cap as to how much bills can be printed, as to discourage inflation.

About the gold standard,
I'm skeptical the very limited supply of gold, as a commodity, could sustain the size of any large economy.
Gold is around 1,200-1,300-ish/oz (very low supply relative to demand).
If this was enacted, I can see very high de-flation, and that isn't great either.
Maybe a more modest commodity like silver ($13/oz, higher supply relative to demand, essentially as stable) would be more practical.

Interestingly even the Euro isn't doing all that great these days.
It's just inevitable that paper currency is volatile to some degree.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
Gold's "value" comes from the exact same place that the "value" of a dollar comes from.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
ranger240
Zilvia Addict

ranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the rough
there have been some awesome posts so far... gold standard seems like a nice idea

but as other posters mentioned, it wont work. exchange rates and gold hoarding by countries (i.e. france during the interwar period) really mess with gold-blacked currency. as previously mentioned, increasing gold supply via mining is another issue.

the OP really just wants monetary policy to be less less inflationary. that can be accomplished via means other than the gold standard

my partisan opinion on excessive govt spending is that its politicians making their jobs easier... i.e. throwing money at the problem rather than fixing it the hard way.
ranger240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Gold has an intrinsic value. Fiat currency has no value in and of its self.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Gold has an intrinsic value. Fiat currency has no value in and of its self.
Are we talking Numismatic or Financial Intrinsic values?
Old 05-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #17
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Both. You can't argue against the fact that gold is valuable.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #18
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Same can be said for anything?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
so lets assume the dolllar tanks

what's to say gold will replace it? who's to say that SeaShells won't become the next popular thing?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
Take a macroeconomics class to figure out why the gold standard isn't a viable alternative for modern times.
even an intro to macro class covers this

I find it funny that some of the biggest supporters of the gold system often have the least (if any at all) economics education

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Why would seashells be more valuable than gold?

Unless you find a magic formula to cheaply create gold it's value will not drop.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #22
S14DB
AFC #1

Platinum is more valuable then gold. Should we go to that instead?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #23
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

If we have enough to backup the amount of currency in circulation. I don't think that is the case.

Why don't you actually make some kind of counter argument. Implying that I am uneducated and asking me loaded questions is getting old.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #24
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
Implying that I am uneducated
So you're saying you HAVE taken a macroeconomics class of some sort?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #25
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Trader Rating: (14)
Drift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
WAIT .. seashells aren't worth more then Gold?

2015 Subaru STI
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
A Ton of Projects
Drift N Dragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #26
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

I don't need to take a class to be educated.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #27
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
I don't need to take a class to be educated.
Well shit, in that case I'm Professor Emeritus of Horsemanship, seeing as how I've googled about horses and watched my wife take care of one.

I get that you don't need a professional education to be 'educated', but taking a class that covers all the details/upsides/downsides/pros/cons/causes/effects of a subject GENERALLY helps give a person a very good perspective on a subject.

On the other hand, reading websites that are skewed toward a certain perspective tend to NOT make a person 'educated' on a subject.

I would offer to illuminate your ignorance via a copy/paste from a macroeconomics textbook, but to be honest, this is kind of fun.
Kinda like watching a dog locked into a hot pursuit/fight with its tail.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:41 AM   #28
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

You have made A LOT of assumptions about how I got the knowledge I have, non of which are correct.

For all you know I am a published and well respected author on the subject.

I have spent many an hour researching many points of view on the subject. I have read a few of the books that are used for references in many text books. I know all about Keynes and Hoppe as well as how their views differ.

Just because I don't agree with you does not make me ignorant. If you don't wish to even have a semblance of a discussion here then please don't post.

EDIT:
Also formal education is just one of many ways to gain knowledge and in many respects isn't the best.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 AM   #29
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by theicecreamdan View Post
Gold's "value" comes from the exact same place that the "value" of a dollar comes from.
1 oz of gold = 1 oz of gold
10 oz of gold = 10 oz of gold
100 oz of gold = 100 oz of gold

What's the physical difference between 1 dollar and 100 dollars? Nothing.

The difference between 1 oz of gold and 100 oz is 99 oz a tangible different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
so lets assume the dolllar tanks

what's to say gold will replace it? who's to say that SeaShells won't become the next popular thing?
Because sea shells aren't rare and there aren't armies guarding them in reinforced concrete and steel vaults with 20 ton doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
even an intro to macro class covers this

I find it funny that some of the biggest supporters of the gold system often have the least (if any at all) economics education
Most college economic professors are academic blowhards who spent their entire lives in academia. I know mines was.
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #30
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post
On the other hand, reading websites that are skewed toward a certain perspective tend to NOT make a person 'educated' on a subject.
How is that any different than university professors skewed towards their own perspectives?
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote